Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums.

About to be very poor, looking for cheap food options that help fit macros.

One of the options for me was to buy eggs and potatoes. Potatoes have lots of vitamins, minerals with the skins included and eggs have lots of fats necessarily for building testosterone and a fair amount of protein. I was thinking of a meal consisting of 4 eggs and 2 potatoes which should come out roughly to 650 calories while providing 30-40 grams of protein. The ultimate pro of this option is that 5 dozen eggs cost about 6 bucks and a 10 lb bag of potatoes costs 5 dollars.

Any other food options for poor folks?

Other urls found in this thread:

nel.gov/evidence.cfm?evidence_summary_id=250206
bmj.com/content/314/7074/112
ibcmt.com/2009-03-16-EffectsOfDietaryCholesterolOnSerumCholesterol-PaulHopkins.pdf
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1440-1681.2008.04899.x/full
cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/19671401052
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/65/6/1747.abstract
clicshop.com/magasin/sportprotein/
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/02/us-guidelines-dietary-cholesterol-limits.aspx
businessinsider.com/usda-sued-over-new-dietary-guidelines-2016-1
choosemyplate.gov/2015-2020-dietary-guidelines-answers-your-questions
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

rice and beans, peanuts (relative to caloric content), some cuts of meats go on sale often and are pretty affordable on a budget, buy in bulk, grind, freeze, always hunt for sales, some seasonal veggies

Buy offal. Cheap and got some great protons and good things inside it. Roast hearts after you cpr some marinade into them are great.

Most of these foods are relatively cheap

You'll be suprised how much money you save when you dont get takeout everyday

Who the fuck gets a takeout every day?

You'd be suprised how much people blow on food

stop eating for a week, you'll see exactly how much time you spend buying, preparing, cooking and eating food and how much money it really costs, its an eye opening experience

beans, lentils. make huge salads with them or cook them with rice. cheap as hell and good carbs and protein. eggs too.

Probably because it's too hot.

ignore everyone.

chicken quarterlegs are by far. byyy faaaaar. the cheapest way to get proteins. find some Mediterranean shop/butcher that sells them in bulk.

i get 10 kg of quarterlegs for 13 euro.

that is 22 legs
-12100 calories.
-1210 proteins.

thats 100g of protein per euro

Maybe not the cheapest for everyone not living by that exact Mediterranean butcher shop

Milk
Eggs
Tinned Tuna
Tinned Sardines
Chicken Thighs
Beef Hearts
Goat Meat
Greek Yoghurt
Cottage Cheese
Beans/Lentils + Wholegrains (rice typically)

Shop at Asian/Middle Eastern food stores and butchers (most medium sized and above cities in the West have them), European food stores like Lidl & Aldi, farmer's markets, local independent butchers & fishmongers with deals on.

Why the fuck you need dark chocolate and what the fuck is wrong with sunflower ffs? I'm not a fucking millionair.

My meal plan has me eating at $4-5 a day (your calorie / protein intake will probably have to be adjusted; I'm a 140lb spooky skeleton):
> 2 protein bars
Nutrition – 380 calories, 20g protein, 28g carbs, 24g fat
> 2 sticks of string cheese
Nutrition – 160 calories, 12g protein, 0g carbs, 12g fat
> 1 cup of cranberry juice
Nutrition – 120 calories, 0g protein, 28g carbs, 0g fat

>2 cups milk
Nutrition – 200 calories, 16g protein, 18g carbs, 8g fat
>2 scoops of MyProtein Impact weight gainer
Nutrition – 253 calories, 18g protein, 36g carbs, 4g fat
>2 tbsp flaxseed
Nutrition – 60 calories, 3g protein, 4g carbs, 4.5g fat
>2 tbsp of honey
Nutrition – 120 calories, 0g protein, 34g carbs, 0g fat

>1/2 cup brown rice
Nutrition – 304 calories, 7g protein, 66g carbs, 3g fat
>1/2 bag frozen peas
Nutrition – 140 calories, 10g protein, 24g carbs, 0g fat
>1 stick of string cheese
Nutrition – 80 calories, 6g protein, 0g carbs, 6g fat

>2 tbsp of organic peanut butter
Nutrition – 200 calories, 8g protein, 6g carbs, 16g fat
>1 cup of oats
Nutrition – 300 calories, 10g protein, 54g carbs, 6g fat
>1 cup milk
Nutrition – 100 calories, 8g protein, 9g carbs, 4g fat

MEAL 5 (Post-workout)
PROTEIN SHAKE
>1 cup water
>2 scoops MyProtein Impact Whey protein powder
Nutrition – 200 calories, 40g protein, 2g carbs, 4g fat
>1/2 cup raisins
Nutrition – 260 calories, 2g protein, 62g carbs, 0g fat
>1 banana
Nutrition – 105 calories, 1g protein, 27g carbs, 0g fat

TOTAL
Calories
>3002
Protein
>162g
Carbs
>406g
Fat
>85g

Filet is much cheaper you fucking moron given that like HALF OF THE FUCKING WEIGHT of quarter leg is the fucking bone. Unless you're a fucking dog - you definitely seem to be as retarded as one.

This 100%

My gfs brother spends damn near my whole days pay on food everyday because he eats out all day at work and goes to fancy restaurants almost everyday

I stayed with him and his family for a week and worked with him and he spent more on food during the week than I make all week at my regular job

Here in canada it's best to buy chicken thighs or drum sticks when they're on sale, I can get big value packs for like 4$ on sale and they have 12 thighs in each

Foods also more expensive here but that's what I buy because I'm a poorfag

are you fucking retarded. i already gave you the exact calories and proteins you shit. without bones

breasts are 40 protein per euro. quarterlegs are 100g of protein per euro.

i am not as fucking retarded as you.

good idea going for potatoes, they are underrated bigly

5 dozen eggs costs 6$
where the fuck do you buy your eggs?

I want in on this.

>eating more than 2 egg yolks

enjoy your cholesterol

>eating eggs

It has almost the same level of fat that a stinky sausage

You could eat 4 sausages and it would be the same as eating 4 eggs

But muh keto! I actually want sausage. I am kinda spooked about the cholesterol but many say that it shouldn't matter since the body regulates well if you eat a proper enough diet.

Dietary cholesterol does not affect serum cholesterol.

This was proven in a 2012 study done by the USDA.

> many say that it shouldn't matter since the body regulates well if you eat a proper enough diet.

A proper diet wouldn't include sausage though.

Not true.

nel.gov/evidence.cfm?evidence_summary_id=250206

Sam's Club. I believe Wal Mart has 5 dozen for 8-ish dollars.

>more than 7 eggs a week
Welp. Time to start eating more chicken and fish. Eggs were my staple since it was cheap and easy and paired well with bacon

Kek

Fucking lol

>more chicken and fish

Not much better. Don't get all your protein from meat-- eat some beans too, they're actually good for you.

What do beans taste like? Are they mushy? I've never had them.

In general, beans taste sort of like little potatoes (starchy) but more savory, and with thick skins. Depending on the type of bean and how you cook them, they can be firm, soft, or creamy.

Try some black beans. Everyone likes them for their smokey flavor.

mushy. Yes atleast the bigger ones. Try kikpeas too

Decent with brown rice, chicken, broccoli and somekind of hot sauce. Just throw a can of red/white kidney beans in with your next rice dish, I'd probs drain out the bean precum in the can though first.

>Not much better
Bullshit, lean poultry and fatty fish is rarely linked to worse health outcomes.

"More chicken and fish" as in adding more of these to your diet to make up for eggs isn't a good solution. Half a pound of white meat has about as much cholesterol as an egg.

Health guidelines for meat consumption limit even white meat to no more than 6 ounces in a day, not just to keep cholesterol low but to help control blood pressure. Beans on the other hand help keep cholesterol and blood pressure low the MORE you eat them, so it's a good idea to get a significant portion of your protein from them.

>"More chicken and fish" as in adding more of these to your diet to make up for eggs isn't a good solution.

That's clearly not what user meant.

>Half a pound of white meat has about as much cholesterol as an egg.

The 300mg of cholesterol from enough white meat to hit ~100g protein increases your LDL by a whooping 6mg/dl

bmj.com/content/314/7074/112

Inb4 you post the hopkins paper, he didn't even take into account SFA effect on hepatic LDL receptors. The closest he came was a table with trials which used a 1:1 SFA:PUFA ratio, which solely relies on the fact 1g SFA downregulates as much as LDL receptors as PUFA upregulate.

>help control blood pressure
Source for the interested

>Beans on the other hand help keep cholesterol and blood pressure low the MORE you eat them
Source on a trial of humans eating up to 100g protein worth of beans having a constant linear relationship with a reduction in BP

>which solely relies on the fact 1g SFA downregulates as much as LDL receptors as PUFA upregulate.

Meant to say in which he assumes 1g SFA downregulates as much as LDL receptors as PUFA upregulate.

>That's clearly not what user meant.

"Welp. Time to start eating more chicken and fish." How else could that be taken?

>The 300mg of cholesterol from enough white meat to hit ~100g protein increases your LDL by a whooping 6mg/dl
>Inb4 you post the hopkins paper

I still gotta do it, because that paper made the very important point that baseline consumption matters. As the Clarke paper says, the 6mg/dl reduction (which isn't something to ignore anyway) is in relation to "the average British diet"

ibcmt.com/2009-03-16-EffectsOfDietaryCholesterolOnSerumCholesterol-PaulHopkins.pdf

>he didn't even take into account SFA effect on hepatic LDL receptors. The closest he came was a table with trials which used a 1:1 SFA:PUFA ratio, which solely relies on the fact 1g SFA downregulates as much as LDL receptors as PUFA upregulate.

The studies went up to as much as a 5.4:1 ratio of PUFA to SFA. When studying the effect of dietary cholesterol, as long as you keep the fat ratio the same before and after, it doesn't matter for the results. Do you think it should be rigged so that when they do the cholesterol feeding, they also change the rest of the diet to try to diminish the change in cholesterol?

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1440-1681.2008.04899.x/full

Certain amino acids, fiber, and potassium in beans helps lower blood pressure. Heavily salted canned beans probably won't do much though.

Here's that study with the 5.4:1 PUFA:SFA ratio

cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/19671401052

>Cholesterol intake and serum cholesterol seemed to be linearly related, an increase of 100 mg in the diet giving a rise of about 5 mg%;
>that effect was independent of the effects of type of fat.
> It was concluded that the most effective diets for decreasing serum cholesterol would be those relatively high in total fat, with a small proportion of myristic and palmitic acids, especially the former, a high proportion of polyunsaturated acids, and low in cholesterol.

>"Welp. Time to start eating more chicken and fish." How else could that be taken?

I read it as in place of.

>relation to "the average British diet"

Which consume on avg 300mg of CHOL a day. Plug it into the graph. The drop in LDL would be far far greater than 6mg.dl

>Do you think it should be rigged so that when they do the cholesterol feeding, they also change the rest of the diet to try to diminish the change in cholesterol?

No I don't, SFA exacerbates the effect of CHOL on your lipid profile. Thus if you want to study it you should eliminate all other factors which influence lipid profile or control them, on top of CHOL wash out periods.

Which is seen in some, but not all:
>ome ofthe largest and best-designed studies
specifically designed to examine this potential interaction did
find reduced responses to dietary cholesterol when P:S was high
( 1 2, 1 8, 19, 22, 29). Other seemingly well-designed studies did
not confirm this interaction (7, 10, 1 1 , 1 5, 42)

(I cba to format the above quote).

>Certain amino acids, fiber, and potassium in beans helps lower blood pressure.
Agreed
>Heavily salted canned beans probably won't do much though.
Agreed

I'm heading to bed, I'm sure we will continue this in another thread at some point. Till then friendo.

Make sure you include dairy and you'll get all the nutrition needed to survive at least

2 protein bars a day
>$4-5 bucks a day

Fuck off retard.

>Cholesterol intake and serum cholesterol seemed to be linearly related, an increase of 100 mg in the diet giving a rise of about 5 mg%;

Which would disagree with hopkins conclusion would it not? A 5% TC increase per 100mg would result in a greater increase in TC for every 100mg

>that effect was independent of the effects of type of fat.

Perhaps I was wrong, but papers 12, 18, 19, 22, 29 do find what I was saying to be true; but there is conflict with others.

Later papers agree with Clarkes
>The predicted plasma cholesterol response to a l00-mg/d decrease in dietary cholesterol based on the results of this meta-analysis is a decrease of 56.9 .tmol/L (2.2 mg/dL)
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/65/6/1747.abstract

Which also took into account hopkins paper, pic related

Egg white protein

clicshop.com/magasin/sportprotein/

Serious question, I'm probably retarded, but how do you cool beans?

I've always just done rice or potatoes as my filler, but beans seem much better macro wise.

Black beans/pinto beans? Do you really have to cook them for like a day? I have no idea what I'm doing.

underrated. most literally give it out for peanuts because aside from certain cuisines you can't do shit with it. acceptable protons for laughable price.

blatant meme, hang yourself immediately

what are the best beans to eat with your rice?

OP here.

For anyone wondering about egg prices, here's a receipt of me buying 5 dozen eggs for $4.30 today from Wal Mart.

I live in Arkansas, might cause the differences in prices.

>mass produced walmart eggs full of antibiotics and heavy metals
cool

Why whole milk vs semi skimmed?

You're going for cheap food, whole milk is the exact same thing with more fat/calories.

But diet or not if you're drinking milk it should be whole regardless.

BEANS
BEANS
BEANS

>lost factory job
>became college student
>insta poor
>cook my own beans from dry; cheap AF from Wal Mart or Dollar General, not full of salt and BS
>now eat lots of home made burritos (jammed with veg, cheese, sometimes meat), soups, add beans to my rice, eggs, casseroles, tuna sandwiches
>you name it, there's a bean that goes good in it
>protein, fiber, fucking cheap

Also, I got a part time job at a mexican restaurant. Now I get a little money each month + free food (INCLUDING BEANS) on work nights.

lentils are cheap as shit and don't require a pre soak

look up simple egyptian lentil and rice recipes or make a simple curry with em with some carrots, onions and a japanese curry block

Makes sense, ta.

What the fuggaroo those are some cheap eggs
Are you sure they're chicken eggs

Calm down Alex Jones.

cool

Pls be in Fort Smith

Get deer tags. Two doe is enough sausage, backstrap, and ground meat for months.

Add $1000 for the rifle...

>free food (INCLUDING BEANS)

idk why this made me kek

Nah I'm in Hot Springs.

I fast all the time. It's crazy seeing how everyone around me is on a constant hunt for food in one way or another. Not in a crazy way just it's a huge part of everything we do.

The only person from Arkansas I've ever seen on this board and you're hours away

Meh Fort Smith is like 2 hours.

Little Rock in the house. Possum Grape native (100% serious), went to ASMSA in Hot Springs. Arkansas is a really beautiful state. The only real problem is that it's filled with a lot of retards.

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/02/us-guidelines-dietary-cholesterol-limits.aspx

>hours

Is the crime as bad as everyone says?

Springdale reporting in.

Go fuck yourself

Will try this later

I work at Whole Foods so I always buy some local pasture raised hen eggs. Feels good supporting those hens and the eggs taste way better

>articles.mercola.com

>Feels good supporting those hens

businessinsider.com/usda-sued-over-new-dietary-guidelines-2016-1

choosemyplate.gov/2015-2020-dietary-guidelines-answers-your-questions

>Do I still need to watch my cholesterol intake?
>While adequate evidence is not available for a quantitative limit for dietary cholesterol in the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines, cholesterol is still important to consider when building a healthy eating style. In fact, the Dietary Guidelines states that people should eat as little dietary cholesterol as possible.

To rehydrate beans you first should soak them overnight or for at least 8 hours. Put whatever beans you have in a pot, add one tablespoon of baking soda and fill with water to about 2-2.5 inches from the top of the bean level. Drain and rinse your beans until the water runs clear. Cover beans with water, again about 2-2.5 inches from the top (here you can add a teaspoon of salt if you like), bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Depending on the beans you're making the cooking times will vary, but I've found that 2 cups (measured dry) of black turtle beans will take about 15-20 minutes to get nice and tender with this method. Chickpeas tend to take less time at about 12-15 minutes. Lentils are good to have too as they don't need to be soaked overnight and as such are great in a pinch.

>One survey of South Carolina adults found no correlation of blood cholesterol levels with "bad" dietary habits, such as consumption of red meat, animal fats, butter, eggs, whole milk, bacon, sausage, and cheese.5

Checked out reference 5 and the title of the study is "The need for accurate nutrition survey methodology: the South Carolina experience." It's clearly about inaccuracies in the self-reporting of nutrition data, and he used the data from it. Mercola is such a blatant quack.

>1kg ground beef $2.69
>2.5kg chicken breast $10

ok so both the farmers and the hens. the hens get a better life with my support

Pressure cookers kick ass for beans. Don't even need to soak them.

where fuck are you shopping

1kg beef mince is $7 for lean
1kg chicken is $9

Oi you cheeky cunt

unsweetened peanut butter is great for snacking on between meals

hehe

I do my weekly shopping in lidl and spend £20 a week.