I found this fairly rare book from 1895 called "Physical Training". Its very out of date...

I found this fairly rare book from 1895 called "Physical Training". Its very out of date, and a lot of the stuff inside is completely wrong, but its interesting nonetheless.

If you choose a chapter I'll post some notable excerpts from that chapter for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

openlibrary.org/works/OL206413W/A_natural_method_of_physical_training
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post page 53 pls

Training for women would be interesting to see

post things that are wrong

just post interesting things.

Nice looking forward to seeing what's in there.

Particularly interested in any diet advice.

Post treatment for obesity.

Also funny how obesity is considered a sickness or something and needs to be treated.

This is an interesting one - the author says that diets can stop you getting fat but that permanent weightloss via diet is impossible.

He actually explicitly says it is a disease, interesringly.

thanks brofam

page 53 is a surprisingly solid explanation of relative involvement of muscles

>s u f f e r e d
Kek This man was a 19th century shitposter

>Already formed fat can not be reduced with diet, can only go away with exercise

This shit is gold

It's a disease of the mind linked to terribly low impulse control

kek famalam

the myth of spot reduction rears its ugly head

Cool stuff. Are there any recommended lifts?

>grow an abdomen that is exceedingly ugly

Veeky Forums here, I need to see how long fat shaming has been a thing.

a fairly modern approach to female training, all things considered

Since fat people came about, i assume.

This is cool as shit OP. Post more plz

Their idea of "obese" was our idea of "kind of fat" so I'm sure they'd be absolutely appalled at the kind of slug beasts we have today

>locally applied exercise
Spot reduction confirmed for ancient meme.

Fatties are sort of correct, in very specific localities, that size was seen as a sign of beauty. For entirely different reasons, however. And it wasn't always related to wealth, either. It's been more in the northern regions of India and southern China, but I'm unfamiliar with it in Europe.

My 90 year old grandma is surprised every other day when she looks at some of the ham planets in wallmart. Couldn't imagine what some farmer from ancient Rome would think about them.

Modern obese people would be considered attractions fit for a circus, I'm sure.

Fuck that's cool.

What lifts does it recommended? I'm guessing The Press™, Turkish get ups and shit

Are there any marble statues from ancient Rome depicting ham planets?

Probably see them as gluttony incarnate
Not incorrect by any means

He actually doesnt like people using weights - he says that using weights is 'violent' exercise that makes you unhealthy and 'musclebound' in a bad way.

He advocates mostly calisthenic, with some posture and breathing stuff mixed in.

It's real though, highly ineffective, but real.

Oh and don't you dare mention the ancient venus bullshit. That is not a representation of the sex appeal of those fucking degenerates.

No, it's not. It isn't merely "ineffective," it's nonexistent.

He mentions a 750lbs man being around at the time

DROPPED

I wonder what he would think of Pianoman. Would probably want to get some of those scoops

So you're telling me that the guy in the OP picture got to that size using nothing but calisthenic?

Not ham planets, but definitely larger women in Greece. Romans, from the best of my understanding, did not value larger people in general. From my limited understanding of B.C. artwork in Greece, it was to contrast the ideal form of male to that of what a feminine woman was to be. There are h i g h t e s t statues of women, but not fat ass fat fucks like we see who are now wheelchair bound.

The idea of lifting weights as a masculine trait was actually exacerbated by Roosevelt.

>When it comes to training the muscles, their relation to the blood circulation should never be overlooked.

YOU GOT TO GET A PUMP GOING.

This is what an 'obese' person looked like in 1895 by the way.

The writer says that weights are the best way to gain size, its just that he thinks size is a bad thing - he thinks the ideal is to be strong but flexible and 'unburdened by hard, sluggish muscle'

>in half an hour of vigorous exercise a man may reduce his weight by a pound or more

Is this true?

I've been to the Louvre and there were zero fat female statues. Literally none, not even high test by our standards.

Some reviews

note the periodical called "The Anti-Jacobin", a hallmark of the times I guess

Lol tell that to NFL players. This guy's a schmuck.

if he's 789 lbs

In fluids, obviously.

>suitable for use by (...) those who are anxious to keep in condition but have not the time or inclination for work in the gymnasium

Literally "LOSE WEIGHT WITH THIS ONE SIMPLE EXERCISE THAT TAKES JUST FIVE MINUTES A DAY"

>A man so "muscle bound," as the saying goes, is not in possession of a power. The power owns him

So pretty much what he means is "Leave humanity behind"

Or maybe he's talking about Bigorexia. Btw OP, where did you get this book?

maybe he meant that he was fucking invincible?

For my 18th birthday I bought myself an annual membership to the London Library. Its been around for about 200 years. It has about 1.1 million books crammed into one building along with reading rooms, smoking lounges, etc etc.

Back in 1903 an annual membership cost £3, nowadays it costs £512. Even so, its definitely worth it if you live in London and like books like me.

>Smoking lounges

You can actually smoke indoors there? Holy shit.

Members only, but yes. No vaping though, hilariously.

Post some hints from the last chapter, please. Interested to see if they are mostly wrong or actually correct.

Cool stuff bro.

Sounds nice. I've never held a real book and this appeals to me

>I've never held a real book
How have you never held a real book?

Explain.

> fairly rare book
Not really. Found it online to read.

Enjoy.

openlibrary.org/works/OL206413W/A_natural_method_of_physical_training

>the checkley system
>checked

hahahahaha

Well it makes sense honestly, they probably couldn't count calories back then, so they'd diet and do exercise to get the 500cal deficit.

the physical copy might be rare tard

you can go to the British Library for free you cuck

Dude, we consider obesity a sickness RIGHT NOW.
It's literally defined as a debilitating medical condition.

No, not really. The average 250+ pound fat person was a thing back thing.

No they weren't.

He's right though.
You can starve yourself till the cows come home, but only the people who are mentally broken can and will continue to starve themselves to that level.
And if they are that hardcore about losing weight and are willing to do that then there's a really good goddamned chance they wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place.

Exercise and or being highly active in your day to day life on top of eating less and or better is how you lose and keep off weight.
We have scientific evidence that corroborates this right now.

This is fascinating.

>training for woman
>1895
shiggydiggy

sweat

ye olde schoole vat person hate

>tfw finally getting fit after years of s u f f e r i n g

Some genital hints pls

DYEL CONFIRMED

That book and author are based af mate.

Thanks for sharing and good thread.

That sounds incredibly comfy.
A good book and a pipe in a quiet library would make me cum.

Bro imma need these

>mfw s u f f e r i n g on 1600cal/day

I
I>
I
I3
I

good, good, no need to read books

check these, edwin