General Aztec Request Thread

Recently I have become fascinated by the Aztecs and would like to learn more about them from non-meme sources.
I am asking you, Veeky Forums, to provide me with directions to quality literature/documentaries about them. Even the most normie-beginner-tier stuff would do, since I know next to nothing about Mesoamerica anyway.
I am especially interested in their mythology/religion and general culture. Something about their warfare would be a nice bonus.

P.S. If there are any works about elements of their religion/culture surviving to this day as actual day-to-day practices, I'd be very interested as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historia_verdadera_de_la_conquista_de_la_Nueva_España
youtube.com/watch?v=DNnTAi8MPU8
youtube.com/watch?v=vOEQNo5m4rg
youtube.com/watch?v=81dkojlgI9U
youtube.com/watch?v=UHPXD_aGeSM
youtube.com/watch?v=s151jVxpx2E
youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyB47qGXoI
youtube.com/watch?v=ITstgdnmp6Y&t=34s
youtube.com/watch?v=QQMxGPZ_hlE&t=1s
mega.nz/#F!v8I32RiT!Pg2LQLo1i_JpZORsgeHQdw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> If there are any works about elements of their religion/culture surviving to this day as actual day-to-day practices, I'd be very interested as well.
We´re living an aztec renaissance and this is the real thing, no larping

Maybe not whay you want but either way I wouls like to say that en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historia_verdadera_de_la_conquista_de_la_Nueva_España is a must read if you are intersted with aztec history, though it's about the spanish colonization.

Documentaries check out:

Maya Red Queen documentary
youtube.com/watch?v=DNnTAi8MPU8

Maya Myths
youtube.com/watch?v=vOEQNo5m4rg

Maya History in Copan
youtube.com/watch?v=81dkojlgI9U

Deciphering the Maya writing
youtube.com/watch?v=UHPXD_aGeSM

Maya Engineering
youtube.com/watch?v=s151jVxpx2E

Aztec Englineering
youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyB47qGXoI

Aztec Myths
youtube.com/watch?v=ITstgdnmp6Y&t=34s

Teotihuacan
youtube.com/watch?v=QQMxGPZ_hlE&t=1s

Thanks, anons, I sure will.

Please, elaborate or provide sources. This sounds interesting.

Check out Broken Spears, it's a book with plenty of first-hand accounts from both sides of the spanish-aztec encounter.

If you want the Aztec perspective:
>The Broken spears : the Aztec account of the Conquest of Mexico
If you want the various Aztec rituals
>Representing Aztec ritual : performance, text, and image in the work of Sahagún

have you seen news from Mexico lately

Aztec Philosophy: Understanding a World in Motion
by James Maffie

This is the only book you need

Sounds fascinating, I will sure check it out. Thank you.

Many thanks. This Broken Spears one seems to be Veeky Forums-favorite so far.

No, I have not. Do elaborate or be so kind to provide sources to aforementioned news in English, (alternatively in Czech/Slovak, German or Russian) if possible, since my Spanish is sub-par and I won't be able to properly understand original sources while google-translate could be quite inadequate at times.

That's quite a statement! Is this book that good? I will check it out, thanks.

It's time to venerate the old gods again.

I think meant cartels are literally ripping people hearts in aztec fashion and whole high school classes are disappearing without a trace. Would post vids but they are too disgusting for my taste

What do high school students disappearing have to do with the Aztecs other than they both had education insitutions?

I've seen the vids, they truly are horrifying, but I doubt it has anything to do with Aztecs really, even if some cartels adopt some surface-level elements of their culture, like burrowing names or certain practices.

Cartel members are mostly mestizos with mostly spanish blood.

Anyone can be Aztec if they BELIEVE enough, user.

Doesn’t mean they can’t larp as Aztecs.

Mexicans LARP as natives when it's convenient and as European Spaniards when it's convenient, in reality they're neither, much like Amerimutts their just mongrels without a proper identity so LARPing is all they have left.

I wish people larped as aztecs. It's depressing all we have are those 'aztec dancer' danzantes and cartel members cutting out peoples hearts without any of the ritual or meaning that accompanied these ceremonies. At least the Maya have decent larpers in Xcaret. Even the incas have that Inti Raimi festival nowadays.

That's rather harsh. What about Mexican identity?

There's still a ton of indigenous people in Mexico retard. Some of whom are Nahuas the same ethnicity as the Aztecs and their modern descendants.

Why can't Aztecs have modern LARPers?

For now this is the closest we are getting. But we need more people, organizing and academic research.

La raza cosmica.

CUTE

Aztec Philosophy by James Maffie

I will add it to my list, thank you, user.

Chekc through these books.

>mega.nz/#F!v8I32RiT!Pg2LQLo1i_JpZORsgeHQdw

Damn, user! That's quite a collection! Thank you!

Nice to see people actually saved my posts.