Veeky Forums, maybe you can help me with something. I'm a college freshman, and I feel really conflicted about drinking...

Veeky Forums, maybe you can help me with something. I'm a college freshman, and I feel really conflicted about drinking. This year, I've done a really good job of cleaning up my diet, working out, and just living healthier.
But drinking is fucking fun. Every time I drink, I wind up in cooler social situations, having a better time, and I'm about 5X more charming when I'm buzzed.
But I feel like alcohol just sort of sucks the life out of me. In the next few days after drinking, I'm not as creative, I can't think as clearly, and my senses are sort of dulled.
I want to drink and have fun, and I can't party and socialize on nearly the same level without alcohol, but I want to stay in shape and be able to think clearly. What am I supposed to do?

Drink clear spirits in moderation = Problem solved

a.a.

>I wind up in cooler social situations, having a better time, and I'm about 5X more charming when I'm buzzed
You only think that because you're drunk, motherfucker. Alcohol does not magically make you cooler and more fun to be around.

Allen Carr's Stop Drinking Now.

It changed my life

Also, this.

dipshit

>t. alcoholic

He's right tho

I'm graduating in May, 22, have been in college for almost 5 years now.

Freshman year: I was a fairly new drinker, drank about once a week on a weekend night, usually fairly hammered but not too much. Loved the feeling. Didn't have many chances to drink as I was in dorms.

Sophomore year: my own place, got drunk more often, sometimes twice a weekend, still heavy enough amounts (7-12 drinks) a night.

Junior year: about the same as sophomore, once or twice on a weekend.

Senior year: shit got out of hand, I turned 21, day drinking became a thing, consistently drank two nights a week and sometimes 3, getting up into 15 drinks a night or over a day. Culminated with getting stupid drunk at a friend's bachelor's party and getting a DUI.

This year I've tapered off slightly past semester and am planning on adopting a 6 drink hard cap rule on any given night. I've done too much stupid stuff for it to be worth it anymore, but it's hard to straight up quit in this college urban environment. Apparently my liver enzymes were slightly elevated in my last blood work so I probably damaged it a bit over the last couple of years.

My advice is to set rules now so you don't get into a habit that you'll regret. I'm still very Veeky Forums and eat healthy otherwise but I've obviously made social and physical mistakes as a consequence of college binge drinking. In hindsight I would have set limits earlier and realized the real consequences of drinking a ton at a time.

Plus, it's hard to even remember many nights, who even wants that in the end? Life is there to experience.

It's because alcohol lowers your inhibitions you think you become cooler and more charming. You just don't fucking care as much and just do and say whatever. And you can do that sober as well, you are just thinking too much.

Liisten OP. Some of the best moments of my time in college were spent shitty with my bros, but if I could do it all over again I would have stayed sober.

Alcohol is a really shitty drug and drugs in general are shitty to do. Let everyone else drink and get stupid, you can have a fun time with them still and not deal with memory loss or poisoning yourself (that's what alcohol is btw)
Most people think they need alcohol to "let loose" and have fun, but really you just have to be able to get past the mental block caused by fear of embarrassment.

Focus on your studies and getting a career that you'll enjoy, there are designated party holidays in college like spring break, halloween, summer, etc. go wild and crazy then if you must, but believe me when I tell you, it isn't worth it to be a drunk. It damages your brain and body. We already lose brain cells as we age, do you want to kill them off for the sake of a few nights of fun?

If you want it straight from someone who's been there- just be the DD or sitter, you'll be able to get giggly with friends and still hook up. You're not missing out by temporarily lowering your IQ.

Do mdma instead

Just keep this in mind. You'll get laid far more living a party lifestyle (going out at least 4 nights/week) than you will living an autistic gym lifestyle.

Exactly, what's the point of living if you can't feel alive?

Just be the cool designated driver in your friend circle. You'll get invited to all the cool parties because your friends know you're down to drive and you won't have to deal with the pressure to drink because they want you to drive their drunk asses home.

>thinking "getting laid" is the only thing in life

jesus christ, this board is so god damned pathetic it's unbelievable.

Okay, but consider this: getting laid isn't my main concern, but I've missed out on so many opportunities last semester because I didn't want to drink. The cute girl that invited me back to her apartment at midnight to drink wine? Told her I couldn't make it. The people who asked me if I wanted to go drink with them at a house party? Didn't go. I can only miss out on so many things before something has to change.

Last week I realised I have to cut down. I was talking to a friend of a friend. who i've never met before

>"hey you are friends with.."
>"errrrrrrrrr"
>literally saying errrr, having a brainfart
>I Couldn't just leave it there
>15 seconds of ERRRRRRR
>"Chantelle's friend yes"

I must've looked like an idiot. But I should've been able to remember her name, as I've known her for several years. Feel like shit 2-3 days after drinking heavily as well

>The cute girl that invited me back to her apartment at midnight to drink wine? Told her I couldn't make it.

>getting laid isnt my only concern
>first example is about being upset because you didnt get laid

>the thing about the party
>being upset because you couldnt be drunk at some party

You can drink a bit in moderation you total asspot

Man, where do you live?

My friend got a DUI in Michigan and the punishments he got prevented him from drinking for 6 months, and made it a complete gamble with freedom for 3 more.

HAHA! You see?

You have the rest of your life to follow an autistic lifting/eating routine like this guy Enjoy your college years. You can still be in good shape lifting a few times per week. Just don't make it your main objective. Embrace that party lifestyle and fuck prime poon.

>The cute girl that invited me back to her apartment at midnight to drink wine?

Lol she invited you to have sex but you didnt go to avoid a glass of wine.

Kinda related, but I'm in college but don't drink. How do I make (female) friends. I'm in pretty good shape, but I see all these fat and uglier people hanging around all these girls. How do they do it?

is right you know.
Alcohol can also be potentially dangerous if you're slightly mentally unstable or like to abuse other drugs simultaneously like me. I once woke up in my bed with my right fist covered in blood, abrasions, and bruises, and my jacket missing. I also glassed someone in the back of the head and instigated a bar riot.
I've been sober 5 years now.

Most people aren't mentally weak like you.

Ohio

It's been pretty shit, one of the harder points of my life as I was just starting an internship as well. It was last May though so I'm mostly in the clear at this point, outside of having to explain my misdemeanor whenever it comes up on a background check.

It really gave me a harsh dose of reality and I think a lot more consequentially now, much more than my friends. They don't understand yet.

You either do the tough thing, join clubs and organizations, and naturally warm up to them

or do the easier thing, go to a bar or club, put down 4 or 5 drinks and let the liquor do the work

It is literally our most pressing genetic imperative after "don't die"

not him, but i wouldn't be so sure or full of your young self. that's how it begins.

I'll add a little more:

>$4k total for the lawyer and misc legal fees
>had to spend 3 days in a DUI hotel lockup
>then they made me go to "therapy" at an alcoholism center for 7 weeks, twice a week, since I blew double the limit
>6 months license suspension (would have been a year if I hadn't gotten the lawyer)
>probation

And this was my first. Don't even consider touching the wheel of a car after 2 drinks.

don't eat for a couple hours before drinking, then it takes less alcohol to get fucked up

also, graduate to uppers at some point if you wanna have real fun

I kicked all my addictions cold turkey, which is probably tougher than anything you will ever do.

do that shit while your young bro once you hit 30s it gets harder.

>Get thee behind me Satan.

nice

Xanax if you can get it
All the fun of booze with less hangover and 0 calories

Mdma is more neurotoxic than alcohol

Tbh drink driving laws are pretty pathetic

They speak to such a fear of death; i'd rather live a short fun life than a long boring one and it just feels like the world is out to shut down fun

Stop after two or three drinks, retard.

Tough decision OP.
If I could go back to them years, I would of partied harder. I just cant do it anymore. Drinking on Saturday night leaves me mentally and physically drained pretty much all the next week. In my profession, a bad week can seriously fuck with your career.
I dont know where the meme of wall street execs etc drinking and doing coke comes from. How could they possibly function in such high pressure jobs with depleted neurotransmitters.

At the same time, I do feel I missed out a bit because I always held back. I have friends who did not hold back, and some of their stories are fucking wild. I get nostalgic and then realize I in fact did not live that. I was a bystander. I do regret it often

Pay attention op, best advice in this thread.

A couple drinks will actually loosen you up and get you talking more than usual. For introverts that definitely makes them more fun to be around. Your post is retarded.

Do you want to say that alcohol does not change the way your interact with others?
This is the most stupid statement I have ever heared.
It makes you way more outgoing and willing to talk, it makes you joke about things more and enjoy other people's jokes more and so on.
So if you are an introverted person it does a lot for you in terms of how you interact with people.

Not everyone becomes mentally retarded when they drink.
Good for you that you realized that you are one of those that do and layed it off.
Keep it up.

>didnt go have a glass of wine at a qt girl's house in the middle of the night because he didnt want to impair his gains

Holy shit you are one stupid fucking faggot.

>dui prevented him from drinking for six months

You mean driving, right?

This teetotal business is nonsense.

People drink in and out of college.

Keep it to one night a week, save getting completely wrecked for special occassions. 4-6 beers. As for hangovers we all feel them differently but I reccomend having lots of water before bed, and drinking a sugary isotonic and taking a paracetemol one hour before you actually get out of bed.

Fuck off retard. Drunk driving laws are in place because scum like you kill cars full of innocent people on a daily basis. The laws should be even more strict; first offense should be a felony. I hope you rot in prison.

Not to sound like a drunk-driving apologist, but the vast majority of "drunk driving" cases are NOT instances of someone blackout drunk or absolutely plastered getting behind the wheel, but rather someone who may have had 3 or 4 drinks over dinner and is just aggressively tipsy.

People who are tipsy don't drive 100mph in the wrong lane and kill people, its the minority of drivers who are plastered who do. I only mention this because zero-tolerance laws (such as "first offense should be felony") don't allow context to be taken into consideration, when context is everything in this case.

You might as well be speaking Chinese. No one seems to get that having a few drinks to loosen up ever now and then is fine, but getting black out drunk twice a week isn't.

Its fucking all or nothing with these asshats, no one understands enjoying something without abusing it.

Zero tolerance is the only way to prevent what i'm talking about. When you drive a car after a few drinks you don't know your exact BAC or reaction time until it's too late.

Why bother? With the advent of things Uber, drunk drivers have zero excuse (not like they even had one before). It's selfish.

You don't need to be black out drunk to kill someone. Too many people don't take driving seriously enough. Fatigue, weed, and moderate alcohol consumption are still bad for your reflexes and mental clarity

Don't you get party plates in Ohio too? That'd be my biggest thing, I can't handle shame.

>I'm about 5X more charming when I'm buzzed
>I think I'm about 5X more charming when I'm buzzed

Fixed it for you

feeling alive is only about ingesting alcohol and fucking ?
How primitive are you people?

But thinking that gives you confidence you otherwise wouldn't have. A certain amount of confidence is attractive. Do you really not get it?

fuck off highschool guidance counselor

What is benzodiazepine dependency
Will literally kill you if you become addicted and go off cold turkey
I've seen too many people become fucking bartards after doing it just recreationally.

A regimen I've heard of to control the after effect of drinking is this: you take one vitamin C capsule between drinks, one before you start drinking and one after.

I don't fucking remember where I heard it, it might have been Paul Jaminet or Steve Fowkes, but there's no risk in trying.

>but it's hard to straight up quit in this college urban environment

This will remain the same regardless of your environment. After college, you'll have co-workers asking you to go drinking with them, you'll have career and financial stress driving you to look for something to relax with, and so on and so forth. There are very few lives a modern person can lead where the impetus to drink is entirely absent. So yeah, maybe not such a smart idea to think that you'll be able to drink significantly less with just a change of scenery. If you've made a habit out of drinking, it will follow you wherever you go. Because that is how habits work.

You don't have to be an introverted piece of shit whose only remedy is booze.

P I C K - U P
I
C
K
-
U
P

I would have had I not gotten the lawyer. You get it for 2nd DUI or if you blew too high on your first. That was another big thing I couldn't stand to fathom.

No, I respect drunk driving laws. It should be illegal. I never made a habit of it but in this case I let myself get too out of control and blacked out.

What I do think has gotten ridiculous are all of the arbitrary, money-sucking penalties they've tacked on, like the forced therapy, which was really just "sit in a room and do nothing then pay us $50 for your time".