What could you say Ireland's "finest hour" was? Or the finest hour of the Irish?

What could you say Ireland's "finest hour" was? Or the finest hour of the Irish?
Most point to their rebellion against the British however as anyone who actually knows history is aware, it was hardly a morally just and heroic affair but rather a dirty-albeit unfortunately inevitable-affair in which nobody really "won."

I'm tempted to see their bashing of the Norse as a potential candidate however seeing as they weren't KNOWN for that, or how they didn't really do anything that wasn't expected of them I'm unsure.

I'm asking because I'm always interested in what nations and people consider their finest hour in comparison to British/French ones (Battle of Britain, French Rev, etc) where it's believed that the Nation as a whole fought for what could be considered "good."

>Most point to their rebellion against the British however as anyone who actually knows history is aware, it was hardly a morally just and heroic affair

I don't mean it in that way and you know it. I more meant that implying that the Irish War of Independence was a clean good vs bad affair of fighting the evil oppressors as opposed to a confused fight for a multitude of reasons which lead to the Civil War which undid massive amounts of potential good that could be gained through the rebellion.

It's like calling the Troubles a good and morally just thing just because it stopped Loyalists in their tracks-it was a dirty and messy conflict.

>I more meant that implying that the Irish War of Independence was a clean good vs bad affair of fighting the evil oppressors as opposed to a confused fight for a multitude of reasons which lead to the Civil War
what

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well.
The Irish War of Independence wasn't a glorious revolution or some triumph over evil, in the same way that people look at the defeat of Nazi Germany for example.
It was a series of skirmishes and assassinations, a politically loaded mess of killings and tragedy which then resulted in the Irish turning on themselves.

I struggle to see that being a finest hour at all.

It was a triumph over national enemies and centuries old oppressors responsible for the deaths of millions and the destruction of national culture and traditions through economic strangulation/coercion/violence. Completely morally justified endeavour with a mandate from the people.

>in the same way that people look at the defeat of Nazi Germany for example.
get lost Angloid, picking and choosing what you apply your puerile definition of evil to, Nazi Germany relative to Britain was "evil" to an infinitely lesser degree than Britain was relative to Ireland historically

Probably sometime after the Christianization of Ireland when we were connected to the rest of Europe, Irish saints and scholars travelled throughout western Europe, setting up monastries, copying valuable gospel texts. Irish were invading western Britain, setting up kingdoms like dal riata and generally prospering.

Is that how it's seen over there?
Again I hope I'm not coming off as an anglo supremacist, I don't mean to in any way. I don't even really see the rebels as in the wrong, it's hardly a secret that the Irish got a shitty deal from us for centuries. It just seems an odd thing to be seen as a most glorious or finest hour considering all the horrific internal things that came with it.

I was just wondering if there were any other famous Irish moments of national pride where you deemed yourselves to be undeniably fighting for good.

>Irish Invading
Other than Dal Riata, where and when? Is the Irish Saints and Scholars thing as big a deal as people make out (I only ask because of that memed "irish saved the world" book)

>nazis aren't the epitome of evil
Get a load of this anti-semite!

Civil war came after WoI as a result of the treaty articles not during because of commies or anything.

>I don't even really see the rebels as in the wrong
They were undeniably NOT in the wrong for anything, WoI was a fight against ongoing oppression and exploitation of the country and nation, weasel wording is such a slimy anglo thing to do. God I wish Hitler fucking nuked you NIGGERS.

We btfo'd the Norse for about 200 years, aside from a handful of settlements they never raped us like they did England

Irish invaded wales, cornwall, western Britain generally see image, ogham (unique irish stones of writing) stones in wales alone.

>Other than Dal Riata, where and when?

Well the WoI probably would have been an entirely different affair were it not for the retarded way we handled 1916. It wasn't even a War for Independence for most of it, but rather a war for increased autonomy-aka a war to stop us running things so badly.

The IRA weren't saints, however. I don't think Ireland during the WoI can be considered in its finest hour.

Any books you suggest about that? Always interested.

I studied this in third level so I have a whole reading list I'll dig up and post if the thread is still alive tomorrow

>IRA
Aren't those the guys that would call in their attacks?

>It wasn't even a War for Independence for most of it, but rather a war for increased autonomy
Independence was definitely the objective, nobody wanted to be under Britain and more autonomous, the people voting for SF with the objective of full independence displays that pretty clearly.

>The IRA weren't saints, however.
Wrong.
>b-b-b-b-but muh burned out landlord estates
>b-b-b-but muh MURDERED informers
I can smell a pale monkey like you from a mile away.

why put fantasy names on a picture of france

That's the Troubles IRA (Provisional), when they were terrorists-albeit still with a just cause.
The IRA of the WoI were basically Ireland's official army under Collins, Barry and co.

Wasn't the original goal a Dominion Status (aside from the reds)

You are clueless about the woi and Ireland in general probably a butthurt ulst*r sc*t stop posting

>Wasn't the original goal a Dominion Status
No that was what was got out of the treaty

>thinking people would be inspired if Dev stated at the outset of the war that they were bleeding for "as equal treatment as Canada"

Their badass monks sailing around the rough seas before the Norse exploring.