/PLG/ - Powerlifting General

Welcome to /PLG/ Powerlifting General. Primarily for the purpose of becoming a better athlete on the platform, but general strength issues also discussed.

>Ray Williams edition
Remember to vote for him! Ask Isley for link.

Post progress, PR's, meet videos, schmexy lifts, or anything strength training related!

Everything you need and want: www.powerliftinggeneral.com

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BPWH5Vglgp0/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

big guys

so my hip problem, the one that's been bugging me for months, was largely because my ITB was super tight. Rolled it, but never very much as I always did it as part of a general warmup routine and never ascribed it any significance to why my hip was feeling better.

But lo and behold, rolled the shit out of it with a lacrosse ball instead of just a foam roller after reading something Cressey posted on TNation, and my issues are like 5% of what they were before.

Front squats still a pain, but I think that's a combination of QL and lats giving me grief

Yeah, IT band needs quite a bit of force applied to work it out.

How on earth do you manage to keep fucking yourself up this consistently?

It's like all your injuries have three stooges syndrome by this point.

That's the life of a genetic dead end.

I think i have the exact same problem you had

A genetic dead end would have broken completely by this point.

I'm fairly certain that, at least to some extent, he's being an over-cautious weeny.

My SI perpetually nags me mildly, my quadriceps tendon on my left leg has been complaining off and on, I'm 95% sure I started impinging my biceps tendon from not benching correctly a month ago (benching correctly improved the matter), and other miscellaneous aches and shit, and I don't immediately take all the weight of the bar and panic to fit about rehabbing and this and that and the other thing.

Ray Williams is a giant pussy.

this is the same and only issue I've had since July though

have you rolled the shit out of it

yeah I thought I might have been too, but at a certain point of working through it the coach at the time (Bob Takano) just told me to go home and stop lifting until I sorted myself out

I'm intimately familiar with pain and can tell when it's acceptable pain and when it isn't

No because i don't have a foam roller or a tennis ball and what the fuck is lacrosse?

How do I keep my shoulder from moving up during the bench press? When I push, my right shoulder tends to get out of place and move towards my head. I think it's fucking up my left shoulder.

do you have a cricket ball?

try tucking your elbows more and pinching your scaps together

I think my ITB is really tight,I usually foam roal it everyday but it's so fucking painful,especially near the knee.

My back and Si joint are fucked up tho,I'll endure it and try with a lacrosse ball.

>SI perpetually nags me mildly
Goddamn how do I fix this shit

QL and ITB seem to be what gave me the biggest problems in terms of tightness

in terms of not tightness-related, my bracing it turns out was fucking atrocious and I was hyperextending to compensate. This was fucking my shit up

Stopped for a few months due to knee injury. Pls Lay out a routine progression if the only thing I care about is going from 225 to 405 squat.

Nuckols 28free, start with the Beginner. Preferably 3x/week, tho you may find it too much in the beginning since you're coming back from an injury.

We play football (soccer) here reeeeeeee, but my gym has a foam roller. It's one of those huge ones that is as tall as my leg and about 25 cm (10 inches?) in diameter

Try using a bottle of water.

you need something harder. As said a bottle of water works, but even better would be a steel bottle you can get for a couple $

>tfw no friends
>tfw someone asked me if I had plans for the weekend

Why 28 free over say SS? Just wondering

I know this iktf

There are steel bottles? Should it be straight or somewhat crooked?

Because this general likes to theit special snowflake programs like cuckolds and shreko

just google stainless steel water bottle and you'll see what I mean. Fill it with water first so it doesn't distort under your weight

I manage it by frequently rolling/massaging/whatever the glute on the side that the SI joint is bothering me.

Also, stretching (mostly dynamic stretching) of hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.

Feels bad two be to intelligent for friendships

how do brainlets make friends so easily, I don't understand

Weight on the bar increases according to your performance rather than a fixed amount every session without taking into account how easy/hard it was.

I know there's evidence showing that, essentially, SS-like programs are superior for learning novices motor patterns. I still think Nuckols' have benefits wrt. hypertrophy and more individualized weight progression.

How do you stretch your QL?
When I stretch it I get immediate pain relief but the days afterwards it's atrocious

3 ways:
-grab a vertical pole like you're going to do a human flag, but keep your feet crossed on the ground
-do a seated one leg hamstring stretch and grab your extended foot with the opposite hand, then twist your body so you're facing medially
-do a standing hamstring stretch (aka toe touch) but try to grab your opposite heel with your hand

My shoulders pop, especially when I rotate them or when I do overhead press. Am I fucked?

Finally too strong for the dumbbells at my gym.

Am I a big guy now?

Get on my level

High level memery.

Very nice.

VOTE FOR RAY WILLIAMS

He is 2000 votes behind a swedish muaythai fighter, let's propel him to number 1!

www.theworldgames.org/the-iwga/athlete-of-the-month/36-athlete-of-the-year-2016

Just having some post training ice cream with the gf lads

Please keep your happiness to yourself.

Filipe?

You mean your best mate and his girlfriend...

allright alrighhht

ba dun tsch

I've decided that training really really really hard for powerlifting by doing programs like sheiko as an advanced lifter is okay.

But it is not best. What is best and makes me happiest is training pretty hard for powerlifting, still having respectable Wilks, leaving room in my training for cardio and pump work, and ejaculating inside a sweet sweet pussy most nights of the week.

Trying hard for powerlifting is it good time, but I don't know if those extra 10 Wilks points are worth the autism that comes with it.

I don't remember signing up for this newsletter, how do I unsubscribe?

What if I told you that you can have both.

Good on you.

Trip on filip

But I'm insecure
I want to win for once
I want to feel strong

I know it's not competition but have any of you tried increasing OHP on 5/3/1 by adding more volume/weight?
I can get away with doing some moderately heavy OHP on my bench day, right? I feel like one heavy and one light day isn't enough.

Can I just do this as a routine

Bench + accessories
Deadlift + accessories
x
OHP + accessories
Squat + accessories
x
x

yes

Training is literally that simple. And if you stop getting stronger then you add more volume, more frequency, or more specific variations.

You don't need transsexual level calculus look at me I am so smart math to figure out programming.

What is PLG's opinion on using sumo deadlift as assistance for conventional?

My current routine is:

squat/ front squat
bench/ohp + pull up/chin up/ row
accessories if I feel like it
conditioning

repeat 4x/week.

4x10 m
5x8 t
8x5 t
10x3 f

Working well so far, if it stops working I'll switch back to Sheiko

IMHE the carryover is minimal, but you could try it for a while to see for yourself.
Are you doing 5/3/1 + Joker + Back-offs + BBB?

Fuck off Lith

That's the old standard, yeah, and it worked great for plenty of powerlifters in olden times, along with linear periodization.

No you. Lith is king of plg.

trip on Lith

I'm not Lith. I wish I were though.

I wish i was him too

I only slept around 5 hours last night.

I now have the chance to get another 2 in - is that going to help my training tonight or won't it matter.

Iktf 4 hours checking in

A nap will help desu

instagram.com/p/BPWH5Vglgp0/

Why does he drag the bars up his leg while kneeling down and would this be disallowed in comp as a failed attempt to lift the bar?

Lads, how much do I need to bench before I start worrying about being Purple Aki'd? Making some solid gains lately and I feel concerned

Is it possible integrate powerlifting with extensive running (3-10 mile runs) and MMA for a long time?
I have been advised to stop lifting "heavy" because it's gonna ruin my run times, mobility, and make me get injured faster.
I really enjoy powerlifting as my way of strength training, although i mix in functional based weight training too.
Just not sure if my coaches are right about what they say so i figured id ask anonymous people on the internet

No reason you can't as long as you eat enough

Give Alex Viada's book, "The Hybrid Athlete" a read. It's all about setting up a program to do pretty much what you described (and the ideas behind the structure that emerges).

Look at the pro long distance runners, do they look like they lift weights

Id listen to your coach if running is your priority

Training multiple sports makes you mediocre to good at all of them instead of "great" in one.
Alex Viada's The Hybrid Athlete might be a good read for you, like user said.

Lifting won't ruin your mobility. Don't have the source for it, but it was rather debunked rather recently.
>ruin my run times
Strength makes you run faster tho.
Injury prevention will come down to program design. And it's when you're specialized that you're more likely to get injured doing something different.

Yeah i tend to keep a good macro intake
I took up running for the cardio benefits so if i start to degress in that a little i wont be too upset. Like i said my lonest runs are 10 miles, but i do run every other day
I see what you mean. My main focus is MMA, i do other sports on the side to try and put me in greater physical condition. Also thanks guys ill check it out.

Why oh why can't i progress with squats? I just feel like i can't get enough tension and my legs are super weak when i squat. I have a coach but he thinks that as long as my snatch and C&J go up, squats are there for just extra volume (and i do progress on my main lifts, but not really with squats). My program looks like this:

Snatch 3x2x70%
Clean pull + clean + jerk (1+2+1)x90%
Front squat 3x2x90%
- Chin ups
- presses

Drop snatch 5x70%
Snatch + hang snatch + OHS 3x(1+2+1)x75%
Front squat + jerk 3x(1+2)x90%
Clean pull 4x110%
Box jumps 6x3
-abs

Snatch 5-8x1x90%
C&J 5-8x1x90%
Back squat 4RM
- abs

Should i do more squats? Or is my lower body just so weak that oly lifting + strength work is too much for me to recover?

Progress in last 6 months:
Snatch 70kg --> 92kg
C&J 85kg --> 115kg
Squat 150kg --> 155kg
Front squat 120kg --> 125kg

I feel like my coach is doing well for my progression on the main lifts, but he's failing at making me stronger. That's why i'd like to hear your opinion

>snatch
>c&j

You came to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker

My gym has yoga classes

S...should I do it to help mobility?

owg is dead and you obviously understand strength training

you dont eat enough

So glad to see other people in same position
My main sport is judo, I play amateur football(soccer), and want to try box/kick box/mma in near future while incorporating gym
It feels overwhelming at times

Yeah, I'm going to go with the fact that squats don't seem to be a priority in your program, and that doing a 4rm squat on day 3 after up to 16 total workreps of your oly lifts at 90% is a recipe for fatigue. I wouldn't worry about your squats; they're not a competition lift for you.

My weight has increased 2kg, but coach doesn't want me to put on too much weight because i compete in the 77 category (i'm 76 atm)

>I have a coach but he thinks that as long as my snatch and C&J go up, squats are there for just extra volume (and i do progress on my main lifts, but not really with squats).
Listen to your coach

i understand

You should do it to nail all those yoga qts

>whenever I sleep I dream of her or having an actual relationship with a girl that cares about me
>wake up and feel crippling depressed and broken for the next week

Gotta stop putting the pussy on a pedestal, man

It is what it is, I don't believe you ever stop loving the first one.

how would i do that?

You stop doing it. Getting laid, or having a relationship, or being madly in love are all great feelings, lad, but they do not make your problems go away. Nor does having a those experiences suddenly turn you into the person you always wanted to be.

My best advice to someone looking for love, is to first learn to love yourself, and get a really fucking heavy deadlift.

I have no life and if I'm off work I like to doss around in the gym for as long as possible.

What exercises can I throw in at the end?

Stuff like facepulls

You start browsing /r9k/

>you never stop loving the first
Uh yeah
Yeah you can
Especially if you upgraded

Beta

Facepulls is a good idea
Curls

Perfect time to do some mobility work, lad.

cardio

I don't believe you.

I'm jaded and basically heartless, still get a twinge in my heart and melt whenever I see or talk to her.

Must be hard being weak

Why does she have two right hands and a penis for an index finger?

Can anyone give me some advice about working back into lifting after an injury?

I hurt the lumbar region of my back a couple of weeks ago while low bar squatting. I'm new as fuck and I'm pretty sure I lifted too heavy for my form and went too deep. I took a week off of pretty much all movement (working from home) and iced religiously. Lately I've been doing some core and lumbar strengthening exercises I got a long time ago from PT for a similar issue, as well as going on walks a couple times a day and it feels a lot better (no pain), but there's still a tightness I can feel throughout the day. How would someone work back into lifting after this, besides staying really light and practicing form a lot more? Should I give it more time?

>Must be hard being weak
I believe I actually prefer it this way.