2 weeks into SS

weight's are going up in SS Veeky Forums

SS just works, why do people hate it?

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/contentfiles/novice_effect_rippetoe.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just imagine someone who jumps leg day having to face the fact that every day is leg day.

squats are my favorite exercise, just the thought of having something heavy on top of me and lifting it up gives me crazy pump

you're literally two weeks in, you don't know what your favorite exercise is and you don't know what having something heavy on top of you feels like

no shit SS works, it's week 2, anything would work for someone in your position

SS is fine, just do bench and OHP every day. after a month or two start adding accessories to it.

So, the only kind of program that isn't shit is one that always work for everyone?

SS is great.

Im on my 11th month of ss, I only continue due to the fact the 3 day a week schedule is convenient for me. Once i have more time i'm switching to a 6 day split asap.

Provided youre doing the program correctly, at 2 weeks in, youre still lifting baby weight. You'll only know whether you love an exercise when youre actually lifting real weight. 75kg squats are more 'fun' than 150kg squats, when a failure means having a heavy weight on your back which you have to slowly squat to safety is daunting.

I loved squatting till the weight went up, now im loving diddlys.

2 weeks is nothing, have fun with the plateaus, and good luck.

how did you know my squats are 75 kg? no kidding, that's my weight :-)

dead lifts are fun too (currently 85 kg). I can lift here more I am pretty sure, but don't want to rush things up.

I do compound movements(heavy squats,deads,OHP,Bench and Rowing) but I also add isolation exercises for my arms/shoulders and chest to make sure they don't go underdeveloped. Is that wrong?

I think it has more to do with Rip's dietary advice, which really is absolutely shit. The program itself is great, I think. It's good once the chins and dips get added in too.

I think the issue is the lack of individualization for the program. Some people really can handle more volume on movements like the bench, and sort of need it. It also gets tiring with how inordinate the squat becomes in comparison to the bench and OHP.

Not at all. It's just when people add in so many that it affects their recovery, and ultimately their compounds. Things like some DB bench, lat raises, tricep extensions and curls won't kill you my guy.

>I only continue due to the fact the 3 day a week schedule is convenient for me. Once i have more time i'm switching to a 6 day split asap.

translation: i'll switch to the horse shit that fails miserably so i can eventually abandon the thing that works.

this is what retards do. enjoy shifting from success to failure, kid.

this

what the fuck are you babbling about nerd

there is nothing wrong with 6x a week PPLs, they allow for quite a bit more volume than 3x fullbody

and if you knew anything about lifting you would know more volume is required with training age

his GOMAD advice is for literal skeletons, not already fat people.

he is right at eating insane amounts of food though. he had tons of beginners who ate huge calories and got to 315+ squat in like 12 weeks. if someone would say that they increased their squat from 140 to 330 in 12 weeks on this board, 99% of the people wouldn't believe it because they are all "muh abs" dyels on shitty PPL routines.

if your goal is strength and don't care about aesthetics then his advice clearly works. it got me to 1234 in like 8 months or so and i was squatting 3pl8 around 5 months in because i wasn't afraid of getting a little fat. body weight went from 140 lbs to 190 and was around 22% bf when i hit those numbers. a few months later of cutting i was at 175 and sub 15% bf.

I'm new to ss bros too, and I have a few questions

Do powercleans target and enlarge your sohulder muscles? or is it more about the explosiveness?

is OHP enough for big (round) delts? or should I add a few raises?

Its not wrong.

People who do SS and do 3 exercises have cucked themselves by not reading the SS book, which has pages and pages on accessory lifts.

Pic related

I reccomend spending 15-20 mins doing curls, dips, skullcrushers, lat raises, back extensions, leg curls, calf raises, push ups, bw chins, whatever.

power to you making those types of gains, but the vast majority of people who run the program by the book don't get to a 330 3x5 squat before they have to switch to an intermediate program

unless you mean for a 1rm, in which case those are pretty normal gains

YMMV but I advise lat raises. Do 3-4 sets 10-15 reps. Keep it controlled you will use tiny weights anyway.

In my experience the best exercise for big delts is are heavy (5-6 rep) one arm dumbell push press, strong man style but for now just focus on getting your OHP up.

startingstrength.com/contentfiles/novice_effect_rippetoe.pdf

thanks mate, appreciate it!

those were all 3x5 and 1x5 diddy, not 1rm

150kg is not a heavy weight

question fags

if one insists to do SS on a cut, do I still increase weight? or do I lift the same amount of weight when the cut started until its over?

If you are a fat guy who has just started try and add weight to the bar but really your fat loss is more important.

If you are skinny fat that is different

You keep increasing the weight as normal. The only thing that you should lower when cutting and doing SS is your (and everyone elses) expectations on your strength gains.

That is to say, on a cut understand you will have more plateaus and more stalls but you need to deload and keep going. Don't stop. Also don't make the mistake of thinking you finished your "linear/noob gains" because you stalled on SS while cutting. Your lying to yourself if you do.

so it basically means that its harder right? like I have to try harder on my lifts?

say my squat are 80kg, and SS requires me to add 2.5kg each day of SS, this means that if I cant life the added 2.5kg, should I just deload it and try again next session, or do I keep the weight and lift it but prob not reach 3x5?

also around 22-25% bf

>6x a week PPLs
ayyy lmao

>2 weeks in
>already thinks he knows what the fuck he's talking about

Retards like you are the cancer killing this board.

try to increase the weight. use smaller increments if you have to. you can try making wednesday a light day and see if that helps, because when you're cutting you're not recovering as efficiently. SS on a cut won't bring you that linear progression you get on a bulk, but try to make the best of it. just keeping your strength constant can be considered progress when you're cutting, but you really should be able to make at least some progress over time when you're a beginner.

thank you mate

You should being trying exactly the same, that is, pushing yourself on every workout no matter cutting or bulking. The difference is while cutting your not going to be able to progress as far due to the lack of calories. So strength will not progress as fast. Otherwise you follow as normal.

So in your example your squat is 80kg and you do 3x5. Next workoug do 82.5kg 3x5. If you fail the last set as an example. Then he next workout you do 82.5kg AGAIN. If you fail again, then drop the weight by 10% and work back up. You don't want to immediately deload because you failed as there are other issues that may be making a difference on your performance. Everyone has good days and bad days.

You will have to stall and deload more though. Its one of the reasons I think GSLP is better due to the amrap set and being able to deload and have a bit more volume. But thats another discussion.

>working manual labor 6 days a week

do you realize how fucking stupid you look right now? working out more than 3 days doesn't magically eliminate gains.

and if you read practical programming you would know more intensity and volume is needed as you get more advanced. on top of that who says the days are heavy? stupid noobs think you keep going 3x5 every fucking day.

my push day is only 4 compounds and 2 isolations. takes me under and hour. oh no. OVERTRAINING

Everything is relative

Haha luck I guess. I would be lifting a lot more now if I didnt take a much time off and didnt progress too far.

The most demoralising thing is seeing lifts go because you fell out of a routine and stopped going to the gym. You have to keep chipping away at it to keep those numbers going up. Have fun man.

Whatever you think is heavy isn't heavy easier because hur dur relative.

SS is a great routine for what it is, the problem is when it's recommended to all beginners even though the vast majority of them are far more interested in aesthetics than strength.

power cleans are good trap and reasonable lat activation, they're mostly posterior chain though. If you want an explosive lift that is good for shoulders and doesnt require a ton of tekkers then hang muscle snatch is pretty good.

lol at all these turbo squatters who squat 4 plates in their 3rd month of SS

i kept observing two dudes who were doing SS in my gym for a couple of months and they kept adding weight in squats even though they were doing it with like 1/3 rom

i imagine this is how most of you squat desu

yeah this, i find 3/4day a week whole body routines far more mentally and physically draining than a 5/6day a week split

having to do 3-4 compounds ranging the whole body for multiple 80%+ sets is no fucking joke after a full days work.

whereas 2 compounds for the same body part followed by a couple of accessories is easy by comparison, especially if you time the more rougher lifts/ sessions for the weekend or days off when you're better rested.

same overall volume on compounds per week, more accessory work, less impact on the rest of your life.

Going to the gym 6 days a week vs 3 days with each session being as long or longer and your talking about less impact on your life?

Talking about whole body routines which are usually 2-3 compound exercises being draining then you follow it up by saying your doing 3-4 compound exercises and then some fluff accessories?

Same volume of compounds but you split it up over 6 days vs 3, that means each of your gym sessions are less and less useful.

Sorry but I disagree with just about everything you said. Beginners should focus on learning a few very good movements and progress. They shouldn't try to learn 8-10-12-14-16 different movements. Its too easy to fuck one of them up and hurt themselves. Once you are late state novice or early intermediate maybe you can start increasing the volume but as a beginner increased volume is not going to help them get stronger only learn the movement patterns better but as you said you do the same "compound" volume anyways, so that doesn't help them.

Remember your posting in a thread about a dude who is talking about his 2nd week of SS.

yep. people think PPL is straight across the week heavy/high volume. at the same intensity level as SS. no shit they get stapled.

you can do
Push-heavy/Leg-light/Pull-heavy-------- Push-light/Leg-heavy/Pull-light

on top that, you can rotate the big compounds per week so that 1 week might be HB back squat and the next week is OH squat. which would of course drastically drop the load intensity. i've added conjugate style to my PPL and this beyond easy compared to trying heavy sets all the time. heavy day is no longer heavy and speed day is literally a nap in the afternoon.

we are more generally criticizing FULLBODY ONLY 3 DAYS A WEEK. this board has a bunch of noobs at lifting giving advice that only pertains to noobs. it's like there's a magical barrier at more than 3 days and you suddenly atrophy all your SS gains.

The reason why is because most people on this board fall into Novice category. Which means they are looking for things that will give them the best progress. Base strength gains are made by adding weight every workout. Full body tends to be able to do that better then splits as people have a hard time progressing accessory workouts since they don't exactly progress linearly.

SS, GSLP, SL are often recommended because they are simple to do, easy to program for and there isn't any point in filling in to many accessories because the entire body is weak for new lifters. Additionally they all focus on the lifts you will need to advance to more advanced routines anyways so they work.

Full Body or UpperLower should be about the most anybody should recommend to a true novice. PPL are great but not for a novice, they would only serve to add more fluff and newbies don't need fluff, they need focus. And any fluff that could flirt with interfering with progressing the big lifts is not only a waste of time but an actual determinant to progress.

>The reason why is because most people on this board fall into Novice category.
and then they they take that dogma and apply it to advanced trainees. you get people shitposting PPLMAO. it's dumb as fuck. everybody sucks riptoads dick but didn't bother to read practical programming.

By time someone hits intermediate and advanced they would have looked into a ton of programs. Honestly most people on this board don't give novice programs a real chance. They do it for 2-3 months and call it and move on. While I get it, it can be pretty boring to do the same lifts over and over again and you get the idea you "should" be doing more but they would be better off letting the novice program run its real course.

That is where the hate for programs like PPL comes from IMO. People think 3 months doing some basic compounds means its time to move onto a a program with shitloads of more volume. But just like everything your body adapts. If you move onto a shitload of volume then when it comes to the point where you actually do start needing more volume, where do you move on to from there? Even more shitton of volume? It becomes finite.

I'm not hating on PPL or things like PHAT but they look attractive to people who have no business on the programs and cause them to slow down or over reach.

But whatever, just my opinion.

>pullups use more triceps than chinups
>a joint extensor somehow aids flexion
I-is this a joke? I thought rip knows what he's talking about. Is he just subscribing to strength bro science?

This has to be bait.

The triceps fire during a pull up.

What should I do instead of it if I'm interested in aesthetics instead of strength? And also legs instead of arms?

Not true though. Respectable bench starts at 180kg,
respectable squat at 200kg,
respectable deadlift at 300kg

bw doesn't matter you can lift these numbers at anything over 75kg

>11 months of ss
Are you an orc or just on incredible amounts of gear? I've yet to hear of anyone who has been able to keep up linear progression for 11 months.

Also heavy squats are fun.