Siberian alcoholism

Why have Siberian and especially Far Eastern natives become so fond of alcohol, especially vodka, when they have been introduced to it by their Russian colonisers?

>By the time Steller was staying in Kamchatka (1740—1744), the Itelmen had already got used to these peculiar “fruits of civilization” introduced to them only quarter of a century before. “Many Itelmen are very fond of vodka and, when they come to Russian ostrogs, they drink it till they feel no pain and ruin themselves in this way.

>According to Müller, the Buryat name of the second summer month (Chanì-chara) is directly linked to this fact: “The word Chanì means “wild” because at this time of the year the Buryats are constantly drunk.”

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The better question is "why are humans in general so fond of alcohol?"

Steppe people in general seem to have a strange affinity for alcohol.

what else is there to do in the frozen wastes of the east but drink

Maybe they need it to cope with living in the shithole known as eastern europe.

Westerners have it but they don't seek to numb themselves with drink.

Fuck off back to /pol/, Siberia is in Asia.

Because it's better than drinking fermented goats milk, have you ever drunk that shit?

>Westerners have it but they don't seek to numb themselves with drink.

Ah, but many do exactly this, while most don't. It's a cultural thing; we've had it long enough to develop this thing called "temperance."

>Siberia is in Asia.
You seem to be forgetting Russians are known for being fond of vodka, they're more relevant than a bunch of asian tribes in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, siberia.

Non-brainlet answer: normally Asians suffer from adverse effects caused by aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme, which is caused by the ALDH2 gene typical for Asian populations. They cannot oxidize ethanol properly and are exposed to high levels of acetaldehyde, this is why Asians tend to get drunk quicker than white people and have higher rate of acute alcohol poisoning than white people. It's been speculated that this is why Asians don't drink as much as whites, they simply get sick quicker, and as a result they have lower rates of alcoholism than whites.
Thing is, this Asian ALDH2 polymorphism is NOT found in native Siberians and native Americans, so they drink like motherfuckers without getting sick, and end up becoming hardcore alcoholics.

>Siberia
>Eastern Europe
Amerishit education.

>Amerishit education.
I didn't read Siberia, user. Calm your assburgers.

Different cultures have different rates of alcohol abuse.

>OP literally mentions Siberia several times, Far East, Kamchatka, and mentions a few Asian tribes by name
>Eastern Europe isn't mentioned even once
I think you might actually be retarded.

I actually didn't read most of it, especially the greentext. With in regards to Siberia, many Russians settled there and they're much more relevant in understanding the causes of high alcohol tolerance.

It is fascinating that the same stereotype of alcohol abuse pervades Siberians, Native Americans and the Innuits.

It might be that these peoples were introduced to relatively potent forms of alcohol, compared to how it started in the Old World, and that on top of that, the introduction wasn't accompanied by a culture of looking down upon alcoholism like the one that existed in the Old World since the drink was invented.

Finally, these people were also introduced to alcohol at a time when their entire culture was unravelling; their land was being taken from them, and everything their society was built around might've seemed like a joke compared to how advanced the Old World was. That might lead to the kind of nihilism that begets alcoholism.

He read "Russia", and even if it is 50 km away from his country, it is still Eastern Europe for him.

It's not a cultural thing, it's biological.

is it completely inconceivable that it can be both?

>replying to posts you didn't read

Mankind's best friend. How could you abandon a friend?

>a culture that didn't have alcohol would have a propensity to drink alcohol
?

They didn't know to distill it prior to the arrival of Russians. All they could do was a low alcohol volume distilled drink (as they didn't hermetically shut the cauldron) made of their kumis, the mare milk 3% drink.

So you didn't even read, but just had to shitpost? Shameful.

Honestly ukrainians and russians are far worse.
Alcohol abuse is like a national sport for slavs.

Nothing wrong with getting blind drunk every now and then.

Fucking retard shart in mart. Even bulgarians are laughing at you.

Mankind must have some shitty fucking friends then
>Alcohol
>War
>Opium

Why didn't Chinese and Japanese sell alcohol to Siberians? That would have been a profitable business

Op didn't ask about Eastern Europeans moron

>That would have been a profitable business
You wanna trek across Siberia just to sell baijiu to economically primitive steppeniggers?

Dogs?

>eating your friend

This makes no sense.

So they can process more alcohol than whites and Asians without becoming sick, how does that lead to alcohol dependence?

Are you stupid? The one thing that everyone hates about getting trashed is the hang overs and the barfing that happens after. It has been said that these negative affects of alcohol are actually our body's way of protecting us from profound liver damage and over all addiction.
If you don't have much of these visceral side effects. What will stop one from drinking.
Btw, yes, most people at risk for alcoholism tend to have this ability.

>baijiu

This shit tastes like pure gasoline

They would drink it

>this is why Asians tend to get drunk quicker than white people
i fucking wish, i drink a pint and i get a nauseating hangover within an hour or so. I'll never know what it feels to actually be drunk because i'll probably die before then. Seems like all the asian flush reaction does for me is multiply the hangover effect by an order of magnitude

*BRAAAAP IN FRENCH*

I CAN. REALLY FEEL MY IQ GETTING WAY HIGHER THAN THAT OF THE AVERAGE PERSON IN THE UNITED STATES

OH NO NO NO AHAHAHA FUCKING BURGERS

GOD I FEEL LIKE SUCH A BADASS ON THIS SITE NONE OF THE REDDIT RULES I'M USED TO I CAN JUST GO WILD

Only a third of Asians get the flush. That still leaves two thirds who are fully capable of drinking normally, without accounting for bodyweight. And if you think Asians don't drink as much, you've never been to Asia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

But alcoholism is exactly just like you are constantly in hangover. No hangover -> no alcoholism, no abstinence syndrom, but just fondness for a drink.