I have some questions about the Greyskull routine because I'm new to fitness and I'm having a hard time following

I have some questions about the Greyskull routine because I'm new to fitness and I'm having a hard time following.

If I'm understanding the alternating concept right, this is how I'll be doing it yes?
>Monday: Bench, Chin, Squat
>Wednesday: Press, Row, Deadlift
>Friday: Bench, Chin, Squat
>Monday: Press, Row, Squat
>Wednesday: Bench, Chin, Deadlift
>Friday: Press, Row, Squat

Or would it be just this every week?
>Monday: Bench, Chin, Squat
>Wednesday: Press, Row, Deadlift
>Friday: Bench, Chin, Squat

When it says to progress with 2.5lbs for upper body, do they mean 2.5lb plates on each side of the bar (5lbs total), or do they mean 2.5 total? If the second is true, where the heck would I find 1.25 plates in a gym?

Am I supposed to do a warmup for these exercises, like bench with an empty bar for a few sets before doing the 3x5, or can I just jump right in?

AxBxCxx
Aka
Day 1
Restday
Day 2
Restday
Day 3
Restday x2

Thank you

No problem,
Also yes, +5 upper +10 lower.
Warm up with 25%-50%-75% of workset.

You are understanding it correctly. One week you bench twice and press once and the next week you press twice and bench once. I would recommend doing rows on the same day you bench and doing chins on the same day you press. Also when it says to progress with 2.5lbs it literally means 2.5lbs so you would need 1.25lb plates. My gym has them but if yours doesn't you could always buy some. You should always warmup before a heavy compound. I like to do 12-15 reps with just the bar and then I'll do 2-3 sets of 4, 3, and 2 reps adding weight every set. So if was going to bench 135 I'd do 15 reps with just the bar, then 4 reps with 65, 3 reps with 95, and 2 reps with 115.

First off, you are correct. 5 lbs for upper, 10 lbs for lower. You have the alternating concept correct as well. As this is correct. You may have to do more warmup sets as the sets get heavier one day, but for now, this would work just fine.

You're gonna make it brah.

Okay, so the thought occurs to me that if I'm supposed increase my lower body reps by 10lbs every workout, if manage to do a +10 rep on the final set I'll be increasing the weight by 20lbs. Is that normal? It seems a bit excessive to me, but I'm a beginner so that might just be a normal number to increase by on really easy lifts.

If you get more than 5 reps but less than 10 on your squat and deadlift, then next time you add 5lbs to the bar. If you get more than 10, then you add 10lbs. and are wrong. It clearly says "progress with 2.5lbs for upper body, 5lbs for lower body".

My understanding was for the AMRAP. It also clearly says if you hit 10+ on upper, add 5 lbs, and if you hit 10+ on lower, add 10 lbs.

OP, you can get 1.25 lb plates at a lot of fitness stores for relatively cheap, or get the diameter of a bar and head to the hardware store.

Why are you doing greyskull already if you are new? You should start with something easier, greyskull is an intermediate routine.

I was under the impression that it was a novice program since it has you doing daily increases instead of weekly increases, which is what most intermediate programs seem to do.

Oh boy is this going to be another black&blue/white&gold thing?

Don't listen to him GSLP is a beginner program. Anybody who thinks GSLP is an intermediate program is a moron and you shouldn't take advice from them.

It is; that guy is an idiot.

I thought so, thank you for confirming.

Don't listen to that guy. You're right.
Don't be the fucking retard that's holding the 1.25lb my little pony plates.

Okay so what's wrong with 1.25lb plates?

I'm not him but I progressed fine on GSLP by just incrementing in 5lb jumps on upper/lower body.

You are a beginner, you're going to have beginner gains. You wont be maximizing your gains if you're only increasing 1.25lb aka 0.56kg each time.

Aim high little padwan. When you're advanced you can use those small plates of doom because then it actually makes a difference.

>I would recommend doing rows on the same day you bench and doing chins on the same day you press.
Any particular reason why, or just personal taste?

I'm doing GLSP and using 1.25 lb/0.57 kg plates on OHP, row and bench sometimes. I'm at about 48 kg OHP and 60 kg on bench and row. I am on a heavy cut so it's really hard for me to get as much energy as I would like.

And I'll add that on days when I feel really good energy wise and think I can do it (usually after I was eating more for a few days), I increment my upper body lifts 5 lbs / 2.3 kg

Honestly it's personal taste. It just makes sense to follow up a horizontal push with a horizontal pull or a vertical push with a vertical pull. Same range of motion and all that.

I really like GSLP, phrak's espicially so.

On monday I am doing GS with texas method programming for upper body lifts (still getting LP on squats and deads, they are low due to prior injury)

A few things;

There is room for isolation exercises. Do the big three then do 20 mins on other stuff if you have energy / time;

If you are new focus on lots of push ups and chin ups after each session, working up to dips. Then a few weeks in you can do isolation stuff like curls and lat raises

Feel free to go between chins and lat pull down (various grips) as and when you stall. Same goes for rows.

Also ankle weights are cheaper than microplates.

Get a lift tracking app that shows estimated maxes... you can set theoretical maxes during a deload.