Going to take up swimming, Veeky Forums

Going to take up swimming, Veeky Forums

what combination of swimming and weight training should I do?

I used to do SS and just about got to the novice stats for my age/weight on symmetricstrength, but left the gym when something real bad happened to me, went through a period of barely eating, now only managed to pick myself back up and am pretty much back at square one

what goals should I be aiming for in swimming? what level of ability should I have before I consider joining a team?

bump

should I train for endurance or sprint swimming?
what kind of diet should I use? Should I start on a recomposition diet or bulk?

What kind of lifting to compliment the swimming?

You won't be able to join a team and compete unless it's In a geriatrics league even casual team swimmers have been in a club since Elementary or middle school. But if your just starting out work on your 4 main strokes namely backstroke front crawl, butterfly, and breast. And to keep a good diet just treat it like cardio and eat accordingly... Faggot

I swim crawl / back crawl 1 km twice a week. That and 6 gym sessions with a 1 day leg/core 2 day chest //shoulder / tri 3 day back and bicep

but how quickly do you do it?
post cb

Around 20 min , im still dyel mode since i just started lifting again 2 months ago after 4 years of drugs and shitty choices

50m front crawl 24 seconds here 18 m

Holy shit if thats true youre a beast. I only done 25 m 12 sec since my local swimming pool only have 50 m in nights and its full of old ppl then

>should I train for endurance or sprint swimming?
If you're new, do both and eventually you'll start to find your grove with what you prefer.
>what kind of diet should I use?
High carb (don't worry about it, you'll burn most of it off) and a modest amount of protein.
>What kind of lifting to compliment the swimming?
Do exercises that'll improve your upper body (core especially, as it complements your legs and hold them up); so your planks, push ups, pull ups, bench presses.

haha thanks, im one of the best at my club. If you beat 50m in 25 seconds you instantly qualify for competitions. Been doing it since I can remember

You do 5 strokes breath when going 50 m or how does it work?

which gives the best body? endurance or sprinting? I'd assume sprinting requires stronger muscles

Not the same guy but 25.6 second 50 free and swim instructor. Breathing slows you the fuck down. Breathe once on the first lap around the flags before your flipturn. Second lap I tend to take maybe one or two breaths but take as little as possible. Rhythmic breathing is meant for cardio not racing.

Either, you'll develop muscle and then as time goes on you'll get more definition in said muscle, but you do not 'pump up' like you would in bodybuilding

I didnt know that, but makes sense, i only done cardio swimmimg. Thx for answering

Btw any tips on a good flip turn? Cant seem to nail it

sprinting gives better.

best bet is getting someone to teach you in person.

Otherwise try doing just the flip, then move it closer to the wall and add the kick. don't get so close that you smack your feet up against the side of the pool.

would doing sprint swimming and lifting give noticeably better results than just lifting?

what kind of diet should I do?
Low fat, high protons?
Would mass gainer be good for this?

you would definitely be in better cardiovascular shape if you added swimming to your routine.

as for diet I cant give super solid advice but I'd say stick to a lifting diet and just add some more calories to account for swimming. It depends how much youre going to be swimming and where you are currently.

I'm not huge on mass gainer or whey because I already eat a pretty balanced high protein diet, but maybe replacing whey with mass gainer would give you enough calories to keep gaining.

When you're coming in to the wall:
Take you last stroke and leave your arm back, kick your legs in (like tuck them) and flip over while having you other hand meet the one behind you, kick straight out and give 1 hard fly kick then freestyle kick til you resurface

I wish I learned to swim. You guys are lucky.

blaque mane