I am new to boxing and i cannot seem to make sense of the "fists above your chin" rule

I am new to boxing and i cannot seem to make sense of the "fists above your chin" rule...
I can understand that it makes it easier to defend your head, but punching from this position seems so much harder. Your fists are too high to do a good jab or hook. You always have to bring down your fists before you can do a punch, which takes time and tells your opponent what you are going to do. Yet when i have my fists abit lower, i can actually do quite a strong jab without having to lower my fist first. This seems so much more effective in my opinion. Then there is also the vision. Having your fists high blocks part of your vision. And when i look at how long it takes to move my fist up on an imcomming punch from a lower position, it really doesnt take that much longer than when you allready have your fists above your chin.

I just dont see the advantages of "fists above your chin" outweigh the downsides i guess. Is this just a stupid beginners vision or do i actually have a point here?

idk. do you think you can punch harder with your fists are above your chin or when you're knocked out

>Your fists are too high to do a good jab or hook.
That's why you use your footwork and lean torso before punching. There is a lot of different stances though.

Unless youre learning boxing mainly for street fights youre really asking the wrong board.

>not boxing while unconcious like ippo

Ye i understand that but from what ive experienced so far, having your fists a little lower makes defending barely any more difficult, yet it makes punching way way better.

But even with footwork it still comes down to the same point doenst it? You will ultimately have to bring your fist down before you do a jab, creating an easier to block, and less forcefull punch than when the fist would have been in a more favorable position to begin with.

Tuck your chin into your throat instead

As far as my limited knowledge goes, jab is not a power punch, it used to measure the distance and get into the range. You start with the jab, rotating your shoulder for next stronger punch like straight/hook/uppercut.

How many jabs will you be able to throw once you've eaten a hook because you can't keep your hands up

This is the classic case of the theorycrafting beginner.

Shit doesn't make sense to you because you don't know anything. Master the system, THEN subvert it.

stop tensing your shoulders

rest your elbows on your torso

I dont know if i have long arms or what, but i cannot do that without looking like a retarded t-rex

Brah...the kek had was LARGE.

It makes defending less difficult because you probably arent fighting others who know how to fight. Go watch any fucking knockout and see where the guy's hands are. A majority of the time, they are not where hey are supposed to be.

A 'conscious' retarded t-Rex. Think your solution is to allow a pro boxer to punch you hard in the face, *then* maybe you will finally understand why so much importance is placed on preventing it happening as you're having such difficulty understanding the idea.

/thread

>tfw having fists ups mean have livers exposed
>even if with a crouching-ish stance like some boxersu se

you know nothing of defending yourself nor do you know anything about punching. when it comes to punching, you must be able to hit any target, at any time, from anywhere. whether your hands are up high, down low, or in any kind of transition, they must be ready to strike from any place on your body to any target you choose. if you can't do this, you have a huge amount of practice ahead of you.

you're more likely to get an immediate knockout by hitting someone in the head than hitting someone in the liver.

I've been struck by both, the ones on the nose went away rather quickly(the pain), like some seconds. the one on the liver is really fucked up, especially the first time

fpbp

There are your mistakes. Trying to put to much energy into your jab. not starting your jab directly from your guard.

Kek'd hard