Can we have thread dedicated to cool looking statues and monuments preferably of historical people...

Can we have thread dedicated to cool looking statues and monuments preferably of historical people? Ill begin with Constantine the great.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_the_Fearless
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuno_Álvares_Pereira
youtube.com/watch?v=Vwi77qlEl9c
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

And I've always loved this statue of Vercingetorix.

I don't really understand. Why celebrate him?

The Germans wanted hero from the old days during unification.

Well that particular statue is in Alise-Sainte-Reine, France. It was designed by a Frenchman and commissioned by Napoleon III.

>Nappy III celebrates one of Rome's greatest foes despite Nappy I being a huge Roman fanboy and larping as them all the time

Ah, the difference in generations.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Arminius from the Teutoburg? Vercingetorix was Gallic.

I would hardly say Vercingetorix was one of Rome's greatest foes. He is really only well known because he was the subject of Caesars conquest.

Yeah but if he had have defeated Caesar at Alesia (which he very nearly did) it would have been a massive blow for Rome.

pic related

but he didn't. To call him among the greatest foes of Rome is to put him in the company of Attila, Hannibal, Arminius, Mithradates, Alaric and so on.

The Gauls had a massive psychological impact on the Roman psyche that their later enemies never came close to. Well into the 5th century writers like Sidonius Apollinaris and Augustine of Hippo looked at the Huns and the Goths and said "these guys are nothing compared to the Gauls".

hey! my state has one of those :D

Sure. But that has very little to do with Vercingetorix and much more to do with the 390 bc. sack of Rome by Brennus, which left a lasting impact on the Roman psyche. And also the fact that the Gauls were always the northern threat of the Romans. I'm not arguing against the Gauls as a group, but Vercingetorix being anything special worth erecting statues for.

>slackjawd teens in front of corporate taco vendor under jewlluminatti banner turned away from the last great humanist with that broken hunching posture.
Triggered.

I really like this statue of my boy Peter

>humanist
Kys

Fuck the Renaissance for ruining statues. They were far better when we still painted them.

Sorry, but this looks god awful

best one right here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_the_Fearless

and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuno_Álvares_Pereira

>not noticing that they're reading the fucking information sign about the statue
this is your brain on Bolshevism

Well it's unique, I'll give you that.

he said COOL LOOKING

kek

this statue is ass

What is Veeky Forums's opinion of the MLK monument? I actually rather like it.

Yep. The painted plaster statues in your local Catholic church have more in common with Rome than the blank pediments on the US Capitol.

God damn thats ugly. Clearly inspired by Mt. Rushmore, which itself is typically American. Big, ugly and completely lacking any sort of elegance.

could be just the face

the rest is just awful

It's shit, just like the Eisenhower monument is going to be.

>frank gehry

would fug tbqh

>couldn't be fucked to finish the statue
4/10

Is this the Jaime who conquered Valencia and Majorca or someone else?

I prefer when the hoodlums paint his hands red.

IN BERLIN UNTER DEN LINDEN

DA STEHT EIN MONUMENT

As far as vandalism goes, that's pretty good.

ugly as fuck

China for some reason decided that Guan Yu needed a giant statue.

GROSSER FRIEDRICH STEIG HERNIEDER
UND REGIERE PREUSSEN WIEDER

lame

The XIXth century is a time of nationalism and the will to build independent identities in the mind of people from different countries ; This is why historians and politicians tried to build myths and heroes out of men who fought the Roman Empire. Hence why Vercingétorix became a hero in France, Boudica a hero in England, and Arminius a hero in Germany.

Chinese just have no style, they never will be anything but cheap glib facsimiles of Western culture

And this statue is pretty modern iirc. Its nice.

Think what you will about the aesthetics of this status but you cannot deny that you exit kahns crotch to look out at the world from the top of his horses head.

I like you

It's ok, not good or bad

Statuia lui Vlad Tepes

It's a good statue, but it's awkwardly cut at the middle. Looks stupid.

Yes, statues of communists with bloody hands is a classic one.

He was the only commander to ever beat Caesar in a battle and, according to Caesar, came close to beating him at Alesia. He also symbolized a unified culture that together said "no" to Rome unlike any other peoples Rome had encountered at that point. Germans, Greeks, and Africans/Phoenicians were all fragmented into tribes, city-states, and republics/kingdoms and were conquered as much through diplomacy as they were through military might. This is arguably the first instance where statecraft didn't play as much or more of a role in subjugation and a unified Gaul scared the shit out of Rome.

But what you are saying isn't even true though. For instance Carthage was a single state and was conquered entirely through warfare. In addition to that, your "a unified culture" is extremely vague. Are you implying that Vercingetorix united all Gauls? Because that certainly wasn't the case.

Also, Caesar DEFINITELY lost battles to more commanders than Vercingetorix. Of the top of my head, he lost to the Optimates at Dyrrhecium.

im gonna guess its in scotland?

>filename
good work, user

>Carthage didn't lose to diplomacy

You serious right now? Rome's courting of Heiro, their heavy-handed statecraft in Greece to keep Philip tied up the entire second war, the complex web of political machinations that cascaded into the second war, the flipflopping of loyalties of italian cities during Hannibal's campaign, the entire Fabian strategy and its political rammifications. Those wars were epitome of wafare by statecraft.

>Carthage was a single state.

Carthage was Canaanite in language and religion. Hardly any more deviated from semitic culture than Macedon was from hellenic culture.

>A unified culture is extremely vague
That's how Caesar saw it. Read his commentaries. He viewed it that Vercingetorix's success would unify all of Gaul and the Gallic Wars was pitched by both sides as a war of cultures. Likewise the outcome was a systematic cultural extermination in the area.

>Caesar lost more battles.

Forgot about Dyrrhachium. Okay Vercingetorix was one of two commanders to beat Caesar, the only non-Roman to bear Caesar, and Pompey is likewise remembered favorable for generalship. I don't understand why it's difficult to see why Vercingetorix is regarded so fondly.

Saint Petersburg man..

Peter the Great from Russia

why is it covered in scottish flags then?

Those flags look blue and yellow. If anything it would be the flag of Mercia, but it's probably some Russian naval ensign.

god like

Lenin a shit, but he always looks so swagged out.

Which one is this?

agreed

>Warfare by statecraft

Alright, if that's what you mean by diplomacy, that's perfectly fine. But then you can't reasonably argue that diplomacy wasn't involved in Caesar's conquest. A big part of the conflict was an exercise in diplomacy, playing off the Gallic tribes against each other.

>Carthage

Okay sure. What is your point?

>Caesar says..

Yes. Of course there would be absolutely no reason a political leader and populist might want to emphasize or even exaggerate the importance of his victory. "If I hadn't won that day yadda yadda".

The fact remains that Vercingetorix did not accomplish what so many of Rome's great foes did and what I think would qualify him as such. He did NOT beat them militarily like Arminius did. He did NOT put in the Romans the same existential fear that Hannibal did. He did NOT remain the constant military and diplomatic thorn in the side of the Romans that Mithradates did. And he did NOT loot or sack important Roman cities like Attila and Alaric did.

Because he's a bad ass. And bean curd is important.
youtube.com/watch?v=Vwi77qlEl9c

Extra plates just to remind you that she had boobs.

We have one in Buenos Aires.
He looks more badass with that beard though.

Oh it was already posted, my bad.

>Caesar's diplomacy
Sure politicking happened in the first half of the war but Vercingetorix wasn't involved then. When Caesar returned to pacify Gaul statecraft was not involved.

>What's your point
Remember the whole unified culture thing?

>Caesar may have embellished his work so that makes it completely justified to assume Caesar is lying when he's the only primary source we have on the matter.
This is a fallacy. Don't do this.

>Vercingetorix did not accomplish what so many of Rome's great foes did
He's not remembered as a great existential threat to Rome. He's remembered for being a unifying force for a people that had never been so unified prior and the leader of a valiant stand against an oppressive tyrant who ended up sacrificing everything.

So pure

I really like Bicornes

Badass sculpture of Ashurbanipal in San Francisco of all places.

Gonna post the main three from Mamayev Kurgan. That place and those statues, gave me chills thinking of the heroism during the great patriotic war. Really makes you feel small

He looks like a homeless guy