Just ordered these two books

just ordered these two books

I have been following startingstrength.com/get-started/programs
for a month and have made great progress, apparently Mark knows what he's talking about

tip to all complete beginners: don't listen to any gym PT, instructor or what ever the fuck else they call themselves these days

start SS

this is the only thing that you need to do

S
S

you are welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/8177-kethnaab-rippetoe-workout.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nice try m8

well done OP

how much time did you waste before starting SS?

5 months doing stupid shit on machines

That's cool and all man but I hope you have enough sense to add some upper body isolation work before you get into t-rex mode.

I do bench press and OHP, what else would I need?

Its all a learning experience, OP. Try to think of that time using the crappy machines as building a bit of a base before you start on an actual lifting program.

We're all gonna make it

Took a few months break but starting again.

I think SS is the fastest progression, what do I add right from the get go to SS?

Curls 3x week
Bench 3x week?
Alternate dips and pull-ups or what?

Chin ups IS a part of SS.

Chest isolation and curls are good accessories as they are often a bit lacking.

Find the SS 3rd edition. It has chin ups as a part of it.

Do chest isolation on the day you do OHP
and curls on the day youre not doing chin ups.
Abs are good to add once a week

And IF you want more upper body volume, for aesthetics then add a 4th set of 8 reps with less weight to all upper body compound lifts.

Thanks I'd like to add dips somewhere.

It's this or Ivysaur Reddit routine, is that actually a decent one? I was considering trying it but it's all 4x8.

thanks I will add them eventually

right now I will introduce power cleans to my program, because my deadlift (90kg 1x5 at the moment) really is hard to recover from (maybe my form is just bad not sure to be honest)

>Ivysaur Reddit routine
I`d say stick with SS with some assistance work. and the 4th set on upper body lifts like bench, OHP and chin ups.

Squatting often may seem weird, but it does wonders for your deadlift.

It shouldnt be hard to recover from at that weight. But ower cleans will help and chin ups may help as it strengthens the upper back.

i will never understand why he gives powercleans to beginners tho

4th set is like 65%?
Does it help much and should it be difficult almost like an amrap?

2-3 min rest?

Just a set you can do for 8 reps.
% doesnt work well for beginners as your max changes from workout to workout.

All sets should have 3-5 minutes of rest. After some time, when you gained a lot of strength, you may even need 7 minute rest on the squat.

Don't listen to these faggots telling you to add upper body "isolation" work, just do the fucking program as it's written. When you follow the program and get your bench to 2pl8 for reps, you will see there's no need. Just add the exercises prescribed in the advancing phases.

doing more than a single working set a week would also do wonders for your deadlift

whatever who cares it's a beginner program, if you're on it for more than a few months you either fucked up or have IPF world champion genetics

the vast majority of people will not get their bench to 225 for reps on SS, because it lacks enough upper body volume for them to build the muscle to do so

there is less volume of bench press than squat on SS, which is just absolutely fucking asinine if you know anything about programming

only talentcucks and people with athletic backgrounds come out of SS with respectable benches

>It's this or Ivysaur Reddit routine, is that actually a decent one? I was considering trying it but it's all 4x8.
I'd also like to know.

>Ivysaur Reddit routine
can you show what it looks like? I mean it might be good, but the reddit routine thing kinda ruins the image.

Does this look ok?

A

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Power clean 5x3
Chin-up 3x5
Pushdown 3x12
Face pull 3x12
Pulldown 3x12

B

Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Dip 3x12
Barbell row 3x5
Cable row 3x12
Hammer curl 3x12

It looks like a basic strength routine with a bit more volume.

Is SS still a solid routine? Does ab work need to be added?

SS is great for strength, but it's over-simplified IMO. Yes, you can add ab work.

I think this Ivysaur routine or Phraks GLSP (pic related) are better choices for a noobie getting into fitness without supervised training.

Hope you have lots of spare time if you intend to do all that and have proper rest between sets.

What would you cut out?

I'm just worried about the relative lack of pulling on SS.

>there is less volume of bench press than squat on SS, which is just absolutely fucking asinine if you know anything about programming
Should they be equal? Why? Would increasing bench frequency and decreasing OHP be a good idea?

>Should they be equal? Why? Would increasing bench frequency and decreasing OHP be a good idea?
Should be higher than Squats volume, IMO. Because muscles involved are smaller. No, ideally you would increase BOTH Bench Press and OHP volume and frequency.

OP just read the whole book and follow the program to a T. Once you can't progress day to day anymore (usually after 6-8 months, and you'll be at around 4/3/2/1 or a bit lower), do TM.
As long as you read the damn book follow the programming and add the accessories Rippetoe recommends (hyperextensions and chinups) you'll be proportionate and strong as fuck, no need for any more dumb shit.
You can add some curls AT MOST, anything else will fuck up your recovery once you hit the higher numbers.

>no need for any more dumb shit.
Simply not true. Even Rippetoe acknowledges that there's some accesories you should add:

Workout A
>Squats - 3x5
>Bench - 3x5
>Deadlift - 1x5
>DIPS - 2 x 8-12

Workout B
>Squats - 3x5
>Standing Press - 3x5
>Bent over rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3
>PULLUPS/CHINS - 2 x 8-12

> Curls Additional.

Source:
> startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/8177-kethnaab-rippetoe-workout.html

>bench and deadlift on the same day

Why do I keep seeing this? Am I mistaken in thinking the program is bench/clean and press/deadlift? It makes more sense to me that way, since benching is harder than pressing and deadlifting is harder than cleaning.

Question, did you do any sort of pre-conditioning before starting SS? Like basic aerobics, calisthenics, or machines? As a life-long skinnyfat couch potato, I'm somewhat intimidated by simply jumping right in to lifting free weights. I don't want to hurt myself or have a heart attack or something.

I don't think you're doing the program if you can't stay on it for more than a few months.

>relative lack of pulling on SS
>chinups, deadlifts, power cleans
vs.
>bench press, ohp, dips

there's no lack of pulling here m8 it's pretty equal. I would keep the facepulls, dips, and hammer curls. that's it and if they ever affect your compounds then they go.

I started running 5ks in July 2016

In September I joined the gym and asked the instructor there to give me a program to start with. I had no idea about SS, and no idea about anything.

He gave me the following:

>5 minutes jogging
>5 minutes rowing
>3x10 bench press
>3x10 leg press
>3x10 lat pull downs
>3x10 deltoid flies
>3x10 leg extensions
>3x10 crunches

I was doing this every other day until the end of the year. After returning from Christmas holidays I started SS.

Note that even in that program I got stronger, but I got tired of it and generally speaking wanted to do something that is approved to be a good solid program for everyone to follow.

you can get e-book here also
megadownloder com/598543

faggot

>free download
>so long as you follow and complete all these clickbait "offers"

fuck off shill.

PPL is superior for both strength and aesthetics.

no it's not

OP is such a fucking chump. You seriously bought those two books online? LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

You live and you learn.

why not?

i got the book for the 2 mins of my life