/run/ running general

Post your goals, achievements, shoes, routines, weekly mileage, scenery from your routes, or whatever else you feel

I retired my asics recently and am looking for a new shoe.pic related bit I don't remember what model they were.
They weren't outstanding--I much prefer my mizuno wave universe 5s, but as those are discontinued, I'm starting to look for something that can fill the void of both shoes.

Ideally:
>no heel drop
>minimal to low cushion

I've been running less times a week because it's becoming more boring than ever before. What do?

Find some music that really gets you wired.
I love running to fullon psytrance sets that just keep pumping for hours.

Switch to sprints?

For me, I can't stay interested unless I'm training for a race. Sign up for something for outside of your current range/speed and then you'll have some accountability, i.e. not looking like a scrub in public

There are also apps designed to make steady state running more like a game. I know at least 1 has zombies chasing you. I've never used any, though so idk how well they work.

I had been stuck on week 4 of a c25k program, since it jumped from 8 minutes of running to 16. I had to take longer walking breaks three times. I have been sick, so I took a week break and I thought I'd lose all of my progress. I ended up doing it easily. I don't know if it was because of the pre-workout I took or because I wasn't drinking water during it, but I'm happy.

Wave unis confirmed goat. Not only for running, I love lifting in them too and I even wear them casually

So mad they're discontinued

Unscheduled rests can often have that effect. Before any race, its advised to rest or greatly reduce volume for a week

Just don't make them regular/use it as an excuse to go off routine

Sometimes a week off can let your body fully heal. Just don't make that week off a regular occurrence and be more strict with your diet during that week. Keep up the good work user!

>tfw fucked knees
>tfw taking it super slow
>tfw happy with 1.5km

one day ill do a 5k

If you're overweight, that's probably a legit problem, but learning to not heels trike can go a very long way towards fixing the stress running puts on your joints.

Read Born To Run-you can skip all the narrative and just read the chapter on the science.

I am 87kg at 6`2 so heavy but not insanely

ill try to get a hold of the book, thanks

To summarize, landing on the heel transmits all the force of your weight into your knee. Landing on front/midfoot
1. lets you absorb force better by increasing the number of joints used
2. Increases efficiency by eliminating the braking force that is applied by every heel strike

I've been doing 4km runs every weekday for over a year now yet can't seem to improve my time beyond a 8m30s mile time.

It's consistent sure, but just not fast enough and I feel I've just plateaued.

God tier ultra boosts

>I've been doing 4km runs every weekday for over a year now yet can't seem to improve my time beyond a 8m30s mile time.
>It's consistent sure, but just not fast enough and I feel I've just plateaued.

Only 2 ways to get faster. Train further distance at same pace or fartlek training

And fartlek fucking hurts

yeah I get the theory

I think atm im running on my midfoot, im trying to run more on the ball but when im not actively trying It tends to go back to midfoot

You have to vary your training. Should be something like

Far
Maintainance
Far
Maintainance
Interval (speed)
Rest

Different types of running train different types of running senpai

Middle foot is good

>That giant heel.
No thanks brosef

Who here uses HOKA?

Bought pic related like 2 weeks ago and it's like I'm running on pillows. Now that I put around 60 miles in them they only feel better. Wish I bought them sooner

>LISS speed up to 6.5 mph for a mile
>HIIT speed in the 9-11 mph range

i like being fast, Veeky Forums, it's so much more fun than being fat

lmao pleb, if you know how to run you can run in all drops, the fact that the heel changes your gate just shows how you don't know shit

okay these aren't /my/ shoes but they're from a different thread

how do i fix/prevent holes in my shoes in this area?

>it hurts
>not doing it to improve

Try running on the bottom of your feet

Anyone here tried more intense training to aid their running? I used to do like 20 mins long bodyweight circuits that were Intense AF. Wondering if I should get back into that.

not him, but whenever i would try running in shoes with bigger heels, it would mess up my stride, but running in shoes with minimal drops, it's totally fine. I discovered im not a heel striker and it changed most of what i thought i knew about running

plz real help

>constructive and non-breathing upper
>Plastic chassis and heel cup
> $180
Shills pls go

Record and post your stride. I don't see any conceivable way you'd consistently get wear in that area. You're either dragging your feet or got shitty shoes

if those are the options im guessing cheap shoes. I paid $30 for them but they're were on sale from like $80-90, a pair of Nike FS Lite Run 3s. they're "minimal" running shoes

they're the best shoes /i've/ ever had for running, but im also fairly new and don't really know what differences there are between brands/styles/"technology"

Don't believe MSRP pricing. Im looking at them online and they're $45.

At any rate, the average running shoe runs 80-120, but that doesn't mean that cheaper is worse. Vibrams are routinely in the $45 range and I swear by them.

You should still record your stride. Most dedicated running stores will do this for you for free btw

I'm a recovering fatty that's finally gotten to 5k under 25 min and wondering how to get faster. Or should I focus on adding more distance and set a 10k goal?

Right now I've moved my route to one with a lot of hills to just fuck myself with.

well fuck me then, lol

i'll see if i can get a gait recording/analysis the next time i'm around the local sporting goods store

More weekly mileage is usually the right answer, but past a certain point you have to vary your training.

See

sup /run/

125kg 190.5cm barrel-chested, broad-shouldered pudger here

would i be fucking up my knees if i tried running at my current weight? been doing weightlifting and such at the gym for a while now, but was unable to do track/treadmill due to asthma and only just recently got health insurance again and another albuterol inhaler (shit's expensive even with copay apparently)

Anyone sub40min10k here?
Just did it with 1%incline and ultra boost.
Come at me bro, ill just outrun you.

im about 20-30 lbs less than you and i dont have any issues with it, but if you're really worried there's no reason why you couldn't do some low intensity treadmill work or spend time on an elliptical or something

K cool thanks. 5k210k then interval shit. Neat. Is running up hills then down a meme? I like it so far as it's just weirdly motivating to push myself hard up and then just fly down as a kind of reward. There's this up and down street with 5 hills near me that is just a blast. But I see some mixed comments on if it actually improves anything and some saying it can fuck up ankles.

this is good advice

Whatever floats your boat brudda

Down hill is only bad if you're braking the entire way

Running is only bad for your knees if you know nothing about running. Take the time to learn to run correctly now before you invest a bunch of time and have to stop or start over

See

>tfw tapering for a 50k

40:35. Don't trigger me cunt

You just need a good day and you're there :)
Keep it up!

>tfw can't force myself to run during the winter because home gym and no room for cardio equipment

My 5k times go down slightly each year, but it's a real struggle from april-august

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

Guy from previous thread reporting anout transitioning to minimalist with these. All I can say--I love my 6 mile run now since I wear them during them. My calves feel like jelly at the end of it. I haven't felt this since I first started running. I have not gotten injured yet with these. Part of the reason I wanted to transition is to get correct form down. Apparently Ive always had correct form since if you screw your form ip just a little bit, you will feel it in no time.

One of the best decisions I've ever made. Would definitely recommend going minimalist. Can't say I'd recommend Vibrams over all other minimalist shoes since it's my first pair.

Will running destroy my knees/legs? I know a lot of people who have all their shit messed up from running. I'm pretty young, and I don't want to be an invalid by the time I'm 40, but at the same time, running is the most useful survival skill. So any tips on how to to preserve my legs/ is it a lost cause?

It will only destroy your knees if you have shit form (read 70% of runners). Don't heel strike or run on your toes.

Checked
So there's no risk in running on pavement?

Same, I used to just run in whatever tennis shoes/athletic shoes I had around and I would always get shin splints and side stitches. Bought some minimalist shoes and all of those problems seemed to just vanish overnight. Never going back to another style again

>short breath when climbing stairs
>can't finish squat or deadlift sets above 8 reps because shortness of breath
halp, how do I into cardio

You should vary your terrain but as long as you don't let your ego guide you (e.g. running more thsn 10% of your last weeks mileage or running everyday when you gaven't done any cumulative fatigue training), then you should be fine.

Climb more stairs and stop smoking.

I haven't been smoking for 2 and a half years, but I haven't done regular running since I was in high school, which is like 6 years ago now. I started doing couch to 5k at one point, but it turned out that my squat progress was suffering from it, so I stopped. But now that I've upped my volume, I really noticed just how out of shape I am.

Any good videos on how to jog correctly without fucking up your joints?

Thanks. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

My legs feel much more exhausted than my chest when I'm running.

How do I fix this? Just run more?

videos usually dont show it too well. best demonstration is as foloows:

>jog in place
notice how you land on your fore/midfoot and then the heel comes down after? thats exactly achieve what you want to achieve

foot should always land directly below you, NOT REACHING OUT INFRONT

arms should swing parallel to your path, not orbiting around your body

knee should bend as you bring your leg forward. this will feel awkward at first, but it decreases the amount of tensino on your quads and will make you more efficient and faster

lastly, when transitioning to correct form, dont overdo it. if you are used to running several miles with bad form, you may only be able to do a half mile with midfoot strike before your calves are on fire. its normal to take several months to transition

G O A T
O
A
T

pls gib alternates, everything else on the market is shit nowadays

Any decent guides on stretching for before and/or after a run? I've just been doing some basic hamstring, calf, quad type stretches but I want to know if there's anything I'm missing. My hamstrings feel like they belong on a crossbow sometimes

What do I do about my throat hurting while running? That's my biggest problem

I don't believe I stretching before. I just bend my knees a couple times and go. After, definitely

You just have to keep at it. I remember when I first started I'd be coughing for hours afterward bc your throat isn't used to so much air going past

I just do dynamic stretches listed on starting bodyweight website except replace running/skipping in place with carioca drills. After my run, I do the static stretches listed in the DEA agent PTT handbook.

Stop running so fast.

I'm only running 6mph. If I go any slower I'm basically just walking.

Help guys! I signed up for a marathon in two weeks. I have never ran past 1 mile before. How can I get into marathon shape in two weeks?

Avoid the temptation of allowing your boyfriend to throat fuck you before you run, despite the need for a protein intake.

youll end up walking like half the people that do them

ive always had the opposite problem. what part of your legs, specifically?

HOKA's are dank. I got em for my dad because he was worried about his knees. Now we're training together for a half marathon.

What's the best post-run recovery drink, and why is it chocolate milk?

Hamstrings mostly.

I'm fat, about 200lbs 5'9", so that's probably part of it. I can get to the point where I just tell my body to shut the fuck up and stop complaining, and just run, but if I do that for too long, I literally can't walk out of the gym. My legs are weak.

>running on the treadmill
Get outside and run in the fresh air. You'll find your runs a lot better.

In the spring/summer I plan to. Right now there's snow on the ground and it's 20 degrees.

My gym bro was 5'10" 270 when he started and he does marathons now. Keep at it

So? This is right outside my sliding door. This is a low amount of snow for around here. It was 10 degrees when I ran after work. I ran for an hour. Stop making excuses.

I'm making excuses to running outside, not to running. I'm going to the gym fag, and not just to run on a treadmill.

When the weather is nice, and there's no risk of me getting plowed by some idiot outside, I'll run outside.

Ran my second marathon this last weekend. 4:05:37, twenty minutes better than my first. Honestly have these threads to thank.

Congrats on the time. It took me three marathons to get mine down to 4:04. Of course, during the first two, I didn't listen to anyone and just ran for a really long time without doing speed drills or lots of hill work. On the third one, I took it more seriously, did 800 repeats on the track and hill sprints for my speed drills, then 6 miles + hills on my medium intensity day, then one day standard long, slow distance. Three other days I did cycling for cross training. It finally brought my time from 4:25 to 4:04. If I listened sooner, I would've reached my sub 4-hour goal.

3:50 is my next goal.

Hills and repeats is exactly what someone recommended in these threads. It might have been you. But, I immediately could tell my stride was stronger.

Also, squats...they fixed my imbalances.

We may have taken advice from the same person, as I never suggested anything like repeats and hill sprints.

Fucking normies blew up my 0 drop low stack spot because they don't know how to run

Fuck outta here with this maximal bullshit. Where are the real shoes amymore?

What should I do if I get cramps/sharp pains on my upper body while running?

I need to run 1.5 mile in 12 min. I got my running at 7.5 but I can't go any longer than half a mile. When I try I get shin splints. My form has to be all fucked up but there isn't anyone in the gym with decent track experience. I am going to do it or I won't get this job. Any tips?

how do you guys structure your runs?

I usually do 30 minutes of general running, just seeing how long i can keep up a certain speed to build endurance, with breaks after 10-15 minute intervals, and then i do 30 minutes of HIIT sprints

it depends on your goals
for easy runs i just run the same pace whatever
for my harder runs i run a mile easy, 5 miles hard, and a mile easy

Go faster than. Or do some hills to get your leg strength up.

Even someone who has never trained a day in their life can do a 5k.

It's like 30 minutes of effort. Jesus christ.

Chair Force?
Do some interval workout like a 30:60.

Trim your toenails

Police. What do you mean interval?

How do you guys run while listening to music/podcasts?
Whenever I've tried, my earplugs keep falling out of my ears or I can hear the cable bumping into my chest at every step I take. Are there any good solutions beside those weird looking neck headphones?

How do I stop heel striking?

I run 4 times a week.

Two 10k's (6 miler) following a day of 2 mile and 1 mile of 30 sec sprint and 60 sec jog intervals.

Pretty sure it's a poor routine but I dont really know what else would work on top of swimming and weight lifting.

Goals are 13 min 2-mile and 40 min 5-mile

Intervals like 30 60's are 30 sec speint 60 sec jog. Dont try to walk in the jogging minute. The key is to keep your heart rate up.

Intervals increase vo2 max; maximum amount of oxygen you intake.

Blue tooth headphones, ones that are just earbuds connected by a wire and go behind your neck. I use some Jabra whatever bluetooth headphones for running.

Lean forward and get used to landing on the mid section of your foot.

I've read that just about everywhere, but it's for me at least easier said than done.