What Martial Arts does Veeky Forums recommend?

What are the easiest/hardest? How does one get into Martial Arts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z6hFqal2OK0
youtube.com/watch?v=YAXaCmky4Hw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I do muay thai twice a week and grappling once a week. Neither are easy, but both are useful. Choose one striking art and one grappling and you should be a decent fighter.

Go to a local gym and ask them about their beginner classes. Don't worry about feeling old or inexperienced. You will meet people of most ages even at beginner level.

daily reminder boxing is the only useful martial art

Choose a striking art and a grappling art and a gun.

to fight and get in shape, bozing is the only sure bet. muay thai, bjj and combat sambo come next. anything else is a crap shoot and the odds of easting your time in a mcdojo increase exponentially

this, boxing is actually usefull nowadays.
we are not in some kind of feudal japanese kingdom or something, times change and if you want to defense yourself you better get with the times.

boxing makes you harder and very adaptable, its also a very nifty sport to practice and depends on hard reads making it the pattrician martial art once mastered.

Wrestling > Boxing

boxing is the only fighting art that is totally focused on winning a fight. no mumbo jumbo, everything you do in a boxing gym has been distilled over a century into what works best to beat someone up. the cardio, the pads, bags, drills, techniques and sparring, are all focused on fighting realistically. muay thai comes close but unless youre in abackyard in thailand then who knows id youre not training also some BS with it? im a bjj brown belt and my art is as much sport and useless shit as anything else these days and i much prefer boxing to end fights quickly especially against multiple people. find a boxing gym

Wrestling is hands down the hardest, physically, but you're generally SOL if you aren't in highschool. Tips and throws are great and a quick lunch after a double leg will sun someone enough to GTFO before cops arrive. A lot of mama and bjj gyms offer it or include it in the gi and no-gi lessons.

Judo is, in my opinion, the best art for self defense, especially when combined with boxing or muay Thai due to the troops and throws allowing you to stay on your feet and it's a clinch heavy art. It's also pretty cheap, usually.

BJJ is usually pretty competition oriented, but great if you focus on top control and know how to safely get off the ground. Classes aren't generally cheap, but they don't charge you for belt testing our any of that crap (if a BJJ school does, it's probably a mcdojo. Get out of there).

Muay Thai in and of itself is great because one swift and powerful blow to the legs can be a much better deterrent than a punch and can make it easier to run away.

Boxing is solid for defense and obviously punching people out and is proven in multiple candid videos where solid boxers annihilate random people looking for trouble.

Pretty much pick any one of these and you'll be set, plus they all offer a good opportunity to compete, if you're into that.

Is that why the top boxer on Earth is a point fighter?

I forgot Sambo. You know it's bad ass because it's Russian. Basically wrestling plus judo. Combat sambo includes striking, I believe.

>user doesn't practice Tai Chi
Why? You learn multiple useful skills, such as meditation, movement, dance, martial art and others.

Whats your deal?

Blows to the head affect your ability to put a proper sentence together?

>meditation
what do you mean

do you get your Senior discount at Starbucks after your Tai Chi last?

I not a queer

i was thinking off getting into bjj. I wanted a good base for general self defense/confidence boost. I wanted to bjj then box. from what your saying i should just box

Easiest
>meme asian martial arts where you believe in some sort of spirit that helps you fighting

Hardest
>everything else

The best martial arts is wrestling. Gives you not only the best body but also the best chance to win a fight.
But train MMA, it's good because it combines everything.
Just go to your local MMA gym and start training there

Tai Chi is also a form of meditation as well as a fighting style.

Hipster faggots tend to do it for a week in a Chinaman scam class and fail to understand it, only to tell their hipster faggot peers that they do it to seem exotic and interesting. Do not associate them with the practice of the ancient art. It can be practiced under an mentor or independently using the right literature. Tai Chi is the martial practice of the Ubermench.

Right, but you are 14 years old. Shamefur dispray.

BJJ is good if you know other stuff like wrestling or boxing, only BJJ for self defence is useless. Your opponent won't just go down because you'd like to do some nice submissions, you have to get him to the ground.

hmm ok thanks

muay thai
bjj (do no gi only, more adaptable more better)

The ones that works irl and doesnt turn you into a meme :

Striking Category :

>boxing
Standard. Cant really go wrong with this

>kyokushin karate
This is pushing meme tier martial arts but actually pretty useful in street fights IF you go to a good dojo

>muay thai
Prepare to rub your elbow + knee with snake oil after every training session.

>kick boxing
Basically boxing but with kicks. Similiar to musy thai. Do this if you're not an SSfag with disproportionally heavy leg

Grappling Category :

>Wrestling
Standard. Takedowns and control. Good schools relatively easy to find

>Judo
Same as kyokushin karate, beware of "muh gi"/"muh olympic rules" school that's well in meme tier territory. Find a good school that teach extensive newaza and practice street altercations technique regularly.

>BJJ
The "hot" version of grappling martial arts right now. Can be pretty expensive.
Pretty much wrestling + submission/chokes.
Beware of schools that insist you start sparring from sitting position

>Sambo
Can you do a full squat on a pair of vodka bottle while wearing adidas tracksuit? No? Don't do it.

Pick one from each category to be unbeatable in the street

Pick two from each category if you're thinking of switching career into actual mma fighter

Don't do as some anons recommended you, Tai Chi or anything similar to it. No use, you will just get knocked out. They are not real martial arts, just choreographed shit

brazilian here doing bjj for 23 years i dont know what ass gringo bjj school u go to but bjj has all the takedowns from judo and with the exception of the kani basami will allow any fucking takedown in existence, including any found in freestyle, greco and sambo. arm drags, sweeps, hip throw, trips, leg picks, it, s all game to us. elbow strikes, stomps, headbutts , heel strikes to the kidneys from guard, and self defense jn general is covered in the better schools which are not competition based. youll learn it from renzo, the boys at rhe academy in torrance, rocian, royce in seminars, but not from lloyd irvin, most gracie barras and alliance which focus a lot on sport bjj

tldr bjj and judo are twin arts and ehat you find in ine youll find in the other the difference is in how we score points and victories in sparring

Throwing Dynamite

>or independently using the right literature.
No you get a teacher. And that's for every martial art

Books can be considered teachers. The writer just writes his teachings on paper for people to use. Whatever floats your boat, though.

this and wrestling.

Aikido. It's too deadly to use in mma.

Boxing or Muay Thai for street fights?

Anything else?

> Wrestling > Boxing
Yes. Wrestlers can control where the fights take place. If I can stand with you boxing,I will, but if I can't I'm taking it to the ground and you won't be able to do anything.

Boxing + learn how to low kick and how to escape grapples

Any combination of
>BJJ
>Judo
>Western Boxing
>Muay Thai
>Sambo
>Wrestling

Everything else is cosplay and LARPing.

Learn to make pipe bombs

>>kick boxing
>Basically boxing but with kicks. Similiar to musy thai. Do this if you're not an SSfag with disproportionally heavy leg
Good point... What would you recommend to a sprint cyclist who squats and deadlifts? I feel like I'm badly optimised for striking?

a bjj brown belt would never say that about bjj, you fucking white belt. bjj is the BEST martial art for street fighting. UFC was created with the sole purpose of testing if BJJ was indeed the most efficient art, preceding the "gracie challenge" tapes. The first Royce Gracie fight in UFC history was against Art Jimmerson.

fucking asshole.

Do any of you guys compete? Is it true bjj, boxing and muay thai are littered with douchebags?

UFC started out as a cock measuring contest for the Gracies to prove how cool BJJ is. In order to be successful in MMA you need to be well rounded in both ground game and striking but many of the top P4P fighters fight almost exclusively by striking. To say boxing is more useful in real world situations isn't too ridiculous.

If you define BJJ as "all useful grappling skills derived from wrestling and judo" then yeah no shit it's the best. In practice, BJJ tends to not emphasize things like throws that are most useful for wrecking somebody in a real fight and is instead an autistic ritual of trying to fight from the bottom.

I didn't say boxing isn't great, there is Cigano as a good MMA example, but for a real fight I'd go with both - you need to know how to receive a punch as much as you need to know how to get up when someone knocks you to the ground. Have you ever been kicked to the head while on ground? Have you ever been in a worldstar type of fight? I know I have, I'm Brazilian, shit happens here like all the time.

see

>not teaching how to defend against a takedown
>not teaching how to defend against kicks
>not teaching how to defend against submission wrestling
Perhaps you think boxing is the best because your IQ allows you to use only two limbs at the same time.

>No one here knows hap ki do
Muy Thai, sambo, and hap ki do are the only actual fighting systems, centered around a realistic dispute, so I would say they are best. They involve calisthenics though so I would say they aren't fit per se, but if you really want to be legitimately fit then calisthenics is probably best anyway.
To get into it most of them have books on techniques if you can't find any local classes, but basically you do some exercising that also incorporates practicing the techniques and you do a good deal of stretching and strength building stances.
I can go into more detail if you want

>>not teaching how to defend against kicks

Never been in a fight detected. No one fucking kicks lmao

Anyone who knows how to fight kicks. But you're right 99% of people don't kick.

That post doesn't contradict at all.

Yes, BJJ has all sorts of great techniques that are legal and useful. The problem is that they're mostly rendered unimportant by the scoring system. Of course you CAN cover them, but that ignores what separates BJJ from other approaches to learning grappling. To excel at BJJ under BJJ rules is to excel at rolling on the mat. Wrestlers and judoka will be better at everything else.

>muay thai
Literally a ring sport with rules that encourage entertainment rather than practicality e.g throwing across the hip
>sambo
judo plus leglocks minus chokes/strangles
>hapkido
korean karate

>Learning to fight as a sport.
I'm not saying to fight competitively, obviously that's a pussified version. If you learn the actual martial arts I listed as they are taught by non meme competitors then you will actually be a very good fighter, and fit ass boi

I'm referring to your statement that

>[they] are the only actual fighting systems, centered around a realistic dispute
Muay thai specifically has rules that are meant to make the fight more entertaining, if sambo is then judo is too

>people who actually compete are worse than those who don't
The """real""" versions are 2deadly4tharing amirite

What's a good book for tai chi then?

This.

Do this for five years, and more.
Add in CCW and a pistol.

Your golden.

For brain damage.

I've trained boxing. It is legit as fuck.

BJJ is more about control. Or being a assassin. Not hurting someone. Yet at the same time able to kill them quick with out any effort.

>Your uncle is drunk, fighting people.
You take him down. Sit on top of him.

You didn't hurt him at all. ( compared to striking him or throwing him into the ground).

>You take him down
>butt scoot jiu jitsu

This. Freestyle and greco roman GOAT

>doing bjj for 23 years
What is your belt?

>Can't into wresling?
Takedown = single leg, double.

You physically take them down by there structure.

Safely able to control someone.

Compared to Osotagaring your opponents skull in the the ground in a spilt second.

>Judo
>Street defense
>Bjj
>Wrestling with submission
Opinion disregared

Fujitsu

I hate this meme.

It is the worst thing ever.
I will forever hate bjj for pulling guard.

Fucking learn wrestling or judo. Even traditional, from japan jujitsu.

First, you have to be in 2nd grade, and your friend Timmy does Martial Arts, so you ask your mom and dad, and they take you to practive twice a week.

For anybody over the age of 12, don't get into martial arts, that is as white trash as you can possibly get.

autism lmao

I do BJJ but we do general grappling alongside

Did a bit of Sambo last session, pretty fun

cardio and military knife

"optimized" means very little, unless you're wishing to aim for the top of the pro ranking. If anything you're badly optimized because you didn't start training 5 times a week at age 16.
Just do a sport that looks cool from what's usually recommended and you'll do fine.

>no judo

Opinion disregarded

Anyone here practice kendo?

How have you found it?

First things first...

1. If you in a legit youtube tier street fight you are a fucking idiot, a nigger, a spic, or a white trash.
2. If you are fighting fair you are either an idiot or the fight was completely avoidable.

At the risk of sounding completely *teleports behind you*... ,
, these guys have the exact right idea. All the black belts in the world mean zip if you CC and are proficient in the basic skills that go along with carrying. There's a reason why the second amendment is considered the great equalizer of men and why the quote "Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, but Samuel Colt made all men equal." exists.

If you are TRULY interested in self defense, the defense of your loved ones, and the defense of your property then get a gun, practice shooting, practice situational awareness, practice your draw, learn the law, and start carrying. If you are actually serious in learning practical hand to hand combat skills that would prepare you for real world scenarios than boxing, kickboxing, and judo are objectively the best choices. The rest are either art forms or strictly competitive at this point.

Also, if you are advocating BJJ or Wrestling as a viable fighting style in real world combat encounters you are a special type of retard. If you can't figure out why then you have never been in an actual fist fight before.

>mfw I live in a "stand your ground" state

Contrary to popular belief, the best self defense there ever is or was is always vigilance.

learn to assess threats before it could happen, and believe it or not it all starts with eye contact, not a stare down, mind you, but that split second eye contact.

The point is you let people know that you 'know' that you are aware of them, this reduces their willingness to 'jump' you, not only this but you should and always try to avoid fights, but you do not deny them, you do not tell yourself that 'I'm never gonna be in a real life and death scenario anyway', you should never live in denial, no matter where you live, it doesnt matter that youre living in a first world country, shit will always try to make things happen.

Heres a basic rundown how to survive

1. is always Vigilance, assess them before it happens, and always do your best to try and avoid fights, steer confrontations from fist fights, apologize if you must, a slightly scratched ego is better than getting stabbed.

2. learn Boxing, I dont give a shit what people say around here, but Boxing IS the best striking art there is for a normie, enrolling in almost any boxing class will give you balance and coordination which is very important more so than power when it comes to life and death

Note; I said 'normie', there are alot of more complicated striking arts which are arguably better than boxing in most cases, but to attain that level you must be a competing fighter, so for people with jobs and only have a few time per week to spare, boxing is actually your best bet, you benefit so much for so little time.

2.5 If its a boxing gym with only a couple of sparring PER MONTH, quit it ASAP, its a fucking boxercise gym, a good way to know if youre in the right place is if your place is having sparrings ATLEAST once or twice a week.

cont.

3. Ground work Bjj, Judo or wrestling, this will almost 80% of the time allow you to come on top in a street fight (aspalt and all) but is very situational compared to striking, you use this when you want to skip all the bullshit and just end the fight as quickly as possible, BUT you do not use this when your aggressor is with a group, you dont want to get your head kicked in.

Note; You do not prefer one over the other, train them together.

4. EDCs, knives, whistles, tasers, sprays, the works. Almost any knife with at maximum 4 inch of blade length can be passed off as a 'tool', if you ever decide to bring an EDC, YOU MUST ALWAYS bring it with you, it doesnt matter where, you must have it at all times, its always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Also, it doesnt mean that you carry a knife that you must personally SEEK confrontations, just go fuck yourself

>BUT WHAT ABOUT Veeky Forums? CAN I INTIMIDATE PEOPLE WITH MY MUSCLES?

As Mike Tyson once said "weights have as much resemblance to punching power as a cheesecake"

For the reason for this, you have to go deep on why being buffed doesnt necessarily scare people

the main reason for this would be; Ego. especially for criminals or people with ill intent, they are not scared of your muscles, they see it as a challenge, and will make them want to confront you as a group instead, having a big physique intimidates them but doesnt trigger a flight response, but rather the opposite, these people will want to see you fall, they want to humiliate you, especially when youre with your girl, they want to assert dominance.

dont get me wrong, being 6'6 has its perks, but people will bleed out the same when slashed in the thighs, people will fall the same when their knees are pushed in, or their throats smacked

5. maybe redundant with #1 but, NEVER LIVE IN DENIAL

I want to say that you should never get comfortable, ever, but that maybe pushing it, just get this, never live in denial

7. guts

When everything is all said and done, when you've trained enough, you've started to carry a knife, or have decided to finally be more aware, it still comes down to whether youre willing what to do what it takes to survive, and 'what it takes' doesnt always feel nice.

>Are you willing to use your skills to bring down your aggressor?
>Are you willing to use these skills to hit the throat, the knee, the shins, the eyes, the ears, the balls in order to put yourself in an advantage?
>Are you willing to put these skills aside and just apologize to avoid a physical confrontation?
>are you willing to get your ego a bit damaged?
>are you willing to use that knife when it comes to it and never pull it out until the body stops twitching?
>are you willing to take down your aggressor on an aspalt ground?
>are you willing to run for your life and leave a crime scene?

obviously this applies to the most extreme of cases but should be treated the same nonetheless

ameridote you scumlords

>there are alot of more complicated striking arts which are arguably better than boxing in most cases
can you give some examples? genuinely interested.

gun kata

muay thai, escrima and silat, there are others more but these I'm more familiar with

Muay Thai teaches you to use 8 limbs, compared to 2 from boxing, but the most important ones are both Knees and Elbows, a good hit from either would either cut or knock someone out immediately

Kicks are pretty overlooked now a days, it would take an actual competing fighter to pull it off properly in an uncontrolled situation, if Muay Thai is merely a hobby, then I suggest not bothering with a round house kick would be a good idea as it MAY tip you off balance if it misses, I'd depend more on thigh kicks and a push kick if the situation really calls for a breathing room.

When fighting a similarly trained opponent a kick would be more dangerous to you than to him, this also applies when there are more than one aggressor, in which elbows and knees actually shine.

Note: when fighting a fatty or a taller Veeky Forums person, one thigh kick is enough to bring him down, IF you hit it, otherwise a good take down also works.

Escrima works because youll know how to disarm people of their knives and guns, this was actually thought to us in the philippine army but a more militarize version of it

also, I dont recommend Krav Maga but this particular defense works on almost any hold from behind

youtube.com/watch?v=z6hFqal2OK0

>Are you willing to use these skills to hit the throat, the knee, the shins, the eyes, the ears, the balls in order to put yourself in an advantage?
Why does everyone that never fought think these are some magical targets, completely neutralizing an opponent if you do hit it ? You'll eventually get hit on some of these targets during sparring, and find that these are most of the time as dolorous as a gut punch.

the part where you move your leg behind oponent looks really awkward

Because you're sparring in a controlled environment?

People dont have bad intentions when sparring nor they give 110% behind a punch

i recommend being a good shot. if for defending yourself, if american you're literally better off killing an aggressor with a firearm than fucking them up any other way(and of course getting fucked up) legally speaking

>during sparring

Because being in an unfamiliar environment is the greatest place to land clean and powerful strikes ?
>Bad intentions
Irrelevant, a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch. Unless you're 60lbs above your partner you have no reason to pull back your punches during sparring.

isn't that the point?

Most drunk chads never train nor ever experience getting punch in the guts in their whole lives

I live in Texas and I cringed at this.

Not everybody lives somewhere with easy access to guns you autist. There's also a chance you get caught in a fight without a gun - what if you're out at the bars and some dumbass tries to jump you on the walk back to the bus or your car?

I'm not going to walk around with my gun everywhere because there's no reason for it in 2017. I'm not worried about a street fight breaking out or some autist trying to duel me for a woman's honor.

Had some escrima lessons once, pretty cool stuff.

No one mentioning regular ju jitsu? Why does it have to be bij?

>Because being in an unfamiliar environment is the greatest place to land clean and powerful strikes ?

what the fuck are you even on? the point of the original's post is that not everytime will the fight be in your favor, your opponent can be 60lb or 100lb larger than you, and that if youre willing to give up ethics to hit them in the balls and in the eyes to give you an edge over them.

Also have you ever got your knees pushed in?

Boxing (maybe muay thai if theres a place near you) and BJJ/wrestling is literally all you need.

Totally disregard all weeb/chink shit

Only if there's one other guy.

If he has m8s and you take it to the ground with wrestling, you'll be waking up in the hospital

>No one mentioning regular ju jitsu? Why does it have to be bij?

practically the same now T B H, most BJJ are just JJ gyms in disguise, normies dont know the difference so they cash in with the MMA is BJJ meme

got into a fight with a hobo, i think a month ago, he pulled out a knife and I punched him straight in the neck, he immediately fell down and I panicked thinking he was dead

Because you're asking people to prefer tactics that are far from being as miraculous as you may imply. It's not about ethics it's about it being overrated
>Also have you ever got your knees pushed in?
I have. Lots of low push kicks often ends up in the knee and they were far from being as painful as a push kick as powerful in the much more open mid section.
If the guy is 100lbs above you then good fucking luck getting close enough to touch these targets in a meaningful way

>If the guy is 100lbs above you then good fucking luck getting close enough to touch these targets in a meaningful way

again, the whole post wasnt telling you to 'GO DIRECTLY AT THEIR BALLS" its merely telling you to do it WHEN it comes to it

Can you get good at boxing by practising alone with bag and occasional sparring with a friend? I got some experience with martial arts (wrestling mostly, but I do know how throw a punch and kick).

>Lots of low push kicks often ends up in the knee

Then they werent going for the knee in the first place

youtube.com/watch?v=YAXaCmky4Hw

This video by /ourguy/ is redpilling on martial arts and lifting

Yeah. Just watch some videos on technique, record yourself working the bag to see if you're doing it right and you'll be fine

No, unless your friend is some boxing coach not really, and even then diversity during drills and sparring really helps.
>I do know how throw a punch and kick
It's probably not as good as you may think. It's tons of details and takes month to get the hang of it.

rip reading comprehension

pretty sure the pasta didn't say to 'prefer'

No.

You get good at punching.

also your personal friends is the worst sparring partners you will ever have mate, fuck those guys and go to an actual boxing gym

I prefer the Marital Arts

>tfw no gf