/supps/ - Protein/Supplements general

What protein does Veeky Forums use?

I've been using pic related for a long time, but i've read some stuff here that it's not the best for you.

chicken breast, steak, greek yogurt, etc. i.e. actual fucking food. if (and ONLY if) i don't have enough of either of those will i down some whey. pic related is fine for cost per g protein. of course it's got sugar in it but buying purer stuff isn't much more cost efficient than just buying fucking steak, and tbqh i'd rather have a fucking steak.

I use pure protein rich chocolate flavor. 25g of protein and 170 calories. Plus it tastes good and mixes well.
The vanilla flavor is 10 calories less, but has a mild flavor and doesn't mix well.

I did some calculations yesterday, and my protein powder gives me 50% more protein per dollar than turkey would.
It's great if you're cutting and want to maximize protein, while minimizing calories. Or if you're bulking and want to maximize protein and calories, while minimizing volume.

MyProtein Strawberry Cream and Mocha. Got some Mocha FlavDrops or whatever the fuck they're called for like $3 to add to the protein powder. Fucking love coffee.

chicken thighs are cheaper than whey (even the dirt cheap stuff)

I bought some zinc supplements. How much do I take daily?

Who Soy Lecithin here?

Gold Standard. Mocha Cappuccino. Mixes well, tastes great, and won't break the bank.

4 scoops

>50mg of zinc
>thinking of taking multiple pills a day

Enjoy a slow death senpai

ayyyyy my dude, same

just one. and don't forget high-absorption magnesium (the ones in the soft gel capsules)

I take 15mg of zinc a day? Is that too little?

500mg for a test boost

cheers senpai

More specifically, this.

Myprotein Mint Chocolate

It's delicious because it tastes like slightly chalky After Eight

Best protein powder I've ever bought

I was very disappointed in MusclePharm's cookies 'n' cream

i liked cookies and cream at first but got sick of it really fast, finishing the 5lb tub was a challenge

went back to chocolate milk and now I'm getting sick of that too, it's too 'heavy' (i guess that's a good way to describe it)

1200 mg of Calcium
400 mg of Magnesium
5 Fish oil pills
25mg Ephedrine 3x per day
200mg Caffeine 1x per day

This stuff works great for me; two scoops of the first and one scoop of the second is 180 calories and 31g of protein. Tastes breddy gud, especially if blended with half a banana and some crushed ice.

I tried some Herbalife thing a few months back thanks to glowing reviews from my uncle and his buddies, but it was fairly shit by comparison.

yup too little, and shit variety (i.e. your body won't use it). for both zinc and magnesium get citrate. high absorption guarantees you aren't just using those vits to building kidney stones.

I use body fortress don't listen to these protein shills

just finished the cookies and cream one twice now... fuck im so sick of the taste. Im thinking of trying the gold standard one on Amazon but the 2lb one is like 50$... Canada sucks

Wait.... They could give me kidney stones?? How so??

Best brand of ZMA's??? So many to choose from... Also in what natty ways can you raise your test?

I got BulkNutrition ZMA
> 30mg Zinc Picolinate
> 500mg Magnesium Aspartame
> 10mg B6

I take it an before bed, but then I lie awake tossing and turning.
What gives. Isn't it supposed to improve sleep quality?

same reason you shouldn't straight up take a A-Z multi every fucking day (unless your diet is complete shit)
vitamins and minerals that aren't absorbed by your bloodstream are filtered out of your body by your kidneys.
guess what kidney stones are.
so for zinc and magnesium at least go high-absorption
zinc citrate and magnesium citrate. and eat them with some fucking food. both also require you to get sufficient calcium in your diet (since the whole point of zinc and magnesium is to help your body use calcium in building your bones and muscle structures) as well so if your lactose make sure you supplement calcium or eat something with calcium in it.

But zinc and calcium compete for receptors, and Calc gets priority

Just got the double chocolate. I like it. Would recommend.

I absolutely love cookies and cream.

I have had to force myself through so many bins of vanilla or chocolate lower tier powders.

Combat c&c, all you Ontario fags pick it up at Costco

I don't really excersise aside from walking, but I wanted to know what supplements the average joe should think about getting into.

I want to try some stuff, particularly over-the-counter mood boosters and shit that will get me feeling great.

I've heard great things about zinc and magnesium. What shit is scientifically proven to work?

just put more scoops in

My trainer just got me on my first supp today, pic related. Just chugged my first shake and got into bed :D

enjoy shitting your bed

Ahlie senpai

myprotein impact whey

cheap and has added bcaas

sometimes when i touch myself i feel bad

>added bcaas

So they spike it to fake the protein content

I've got Ultimate Nutrition with raspberry taste as my first whey, was planning to get Optimum Nutrition but it was sold out. Was it a good choice?

I got the Wildberry flavour of Venom Protein one time and it was so repulsive I couldn't stand even Venom's chocolate flavour anymore. Even remembering the taste of it makes my throat tighten.

Whatever is on sale/cheap at the time. I just bought four 2kg tubs of whey isolate. Each was $24 on clearance.

Taste isn't really relevant to me. I just chug it anyway.

was found to be reliable on an independent analysis

Zinc is mostly for testosterone boosts. It's very small difference and probably not worth it if you dont lift. If it's mood you are looking, try 5-htp, it's a serotonin precursor.

Bought two 5lb tubs of this before I started school because I was going to lose my income. 5lbs down.... 5 more lbs to go. I can't drink it anymore bros. But muh gains.

Should I consider getting protein powder if I'm not getting enough protein from actual food? And how much of it should I consume?

>what supplements the average joe should think about getting into.
Not really the right question. It's about what vitamins and minerals you need as an individual. Supplements are just for when you struggle to get those nutrients through your diet.
Don't just pop a pill and expect to feel good and healthy. Watch your diet, look into an app to breakdown your nutrition (eg CRON-o-meter). Take a look at anything that's lacking, and look up foods that are rich in it. If you still won't be able to get enough by modifying your diet in that direction, look into supplements to make up the difference.

Just one. Also its primary goal is immune health, while you'll get other benefits I'm sure, the biggest one is you won't get as many colds.

So consume one Zinc tab+1 magnesium tab every time?

How does people actually need protein supplements? After I started counting macros I noticed I reach my daily goal of 150 grams every day without any supplements what so ever, and my diet isnt even particullary full of diary or meat. I just eat meat or fish once or twice a day

>if I'm not getting enough protein from actual food?
Sure, but are you simply not getting it, or are you unable to get it? If you're not getting it, what's stopping you from just having a chicken breast at lunch?
Supplementing with powder won't kill you if you're just too lazy/cheap/vegan to chow down on real food if that's what you want to do, but I'm just saying. Don't buy into it just because it's a thing fit people use, make it a calculated decision, know what it will and won't do for you. Few people really 'need' it, but for a lot of people it's a handy thing to have and that's fine.

>And how much of it should I consume?
However much more you need to bring your protein intake up to where you need it to be. Most servings will give you about 25g, so if you're generally about 25g short a day, then that's a scoop a day.
In terms of protein in general, 1g per lb of bodyweight is commonly cited as a safe bet. But depending on your source, the actual figure is more like 0.6g, so you don't need to go crazy if the former sounds like a lot.