Is going gym necessary for losing weight?

I hear its all about diet. So is going gym necessary?

If you're a guy
>yes
If you're a girl
>no

Someone who lifts that is 150 pounds is going to look A LOT better than someone who is 150 pounds and doesn't lift.

The more you exercise, the more you can eat while still losing weight. Also lifting has countless other advantages besides burning calories.

well, you don't have to but it'll help you not look like shit in the long run when you reach your goal weight compared to if you just did cardio all the way through your weight loss.

Diet is still 75% of your results, but exercise is still important.

>speeds up weight loss
Not by a ton, but it certainly helps.

>keeps metabolism up
Lower caloric intake can make you feel tired. Exercise keeps your body chugging along.

>maintains lean mass
Lifting and even cardio keep your body from cannibalizing muscle/organ tissue.

>establishes good habits
When you're ready to switch to maintenance, you'll already be in the swing of things.

calories in < calories out

you are welcome

no. itll certainly be faster than just dieting and not lifting, but dont get it wrong - it definitely IS possible to get down to a good weight without stepping foot into the gym at all. itll just take you about 50% longer, but if you consider that you dont actually need to put in any effort except to not eat like a pig, it could be worth not going. id rather you not go and have consistent progress than you drag your ass AND diet at the same time and give up 4 months in

It's only important for maintaining lean mass, and making sure you aren't skinnyfat as fuck when you finish losing.

Depending on how big you are, it might be best to wait until you're at a size where you won't be restricted in what you can do in the gym.

But yes, it is 100% possible to shed the pounds without going to the gym.

t. 330 pounds, down to 255 in 7 months, never stepped in a gym.

No. You can just eat less than you need. You find this out through trial and error.

It's not. It just determines how exactly you will lose the weight. I went from 96kg to 80kg before joining a gym. Currently at 75kg goal is 70kg.

post before and after pic pls

Could you stop with this meme? This is not the end all be all to losing weight.

>CICO is a meme

Tess pls

You dont have to but its definetly easier since you can eat a bit more and get the same effect, it also helps you to stay motivated and beast plateus.

no its not necessary to go the gym. but who wants to just lose weight? I don't want to lose weight.

losing weight sucks. i want to build and preserve muscle and only lose fat but ideally i wouldn't want my weight to go down.

that is why you need to go the gym but without proper diet your results will never show.

I lost 20kg only by restricting calories. I need to lose 15 more but I'm wondering whether doing bodyweight and HIIT would help me with maintaining lean mass?

I know that if I say I don't have the time for a gym, people will tell me that I'm lying to myself so spare me that please

It literally is though.

This is only said by people who don't want to switch their diets and think that just eating less, while still eating Mcfatdonalds and KFATC will lose you weight.

I switched to a low carb vegan diet a the pounds have been flying off, but have fun with your burgers and fries, surely that shit will help you lose weight ;)

Don't lift or do cardio to lose weight.

Do them to get stronger and healthier.

So what you're saying is you applied the CICO rule and it worked?

No, but it will help you lose weight faster and improve your overall body composition as you lose weight. Good luck.

Not exercising while losing weight is a good way to become skinnyfat. While the gym is not absolutely necessary if losing weight alone is your goal, it is necessary if you want to look good.

Yeah. you're missing the forest for the trees. Yes you can still eat shitty fast food and still be within CICO standards, but it's going to be a lot harder. I could eat 400 calories of chicken and broccoli or a Big Mac and be fine. But I will be hungry again a lot faster after eating the Big Mac than the chicken and broccoli.

>It just determines how exactly you will lose the weight.
Pardon?

Yes but you need the right nutrients to stay healthy.

>tfw too intelligent for thermodynamics

I think he means if you lose fat or if you lose muscle or both. Lifting on a diet makes you lose less or no muscle mass at all, meaning all the weight you lose comes from fat.

no, but you're an idiot if you don't

Lifting will help you slowly build muscle to replace some of the fat you've lost so your body can manage its metabolism.

If you don't lift you can lose a lot of weight just fine, but when you're down to 150 from say 250, you can't just go back to eating normally or you'll risk gaining back the weight. I've seen this happen before. 11 times as a matter of fact.

If you wanna lose weight, diet.

If you wanna lose weight and gain muscle/strength, diet and lift.

REEADD THE FUCKING STICKKKY
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

No, i changed my diet. I don't count my calories like an autist and I am losing weight. Explain this.

Lol

Fucking burgers and pizza aren't above the law of thermodynamics. And for most people I'd say immediately switching to keto or another highly restricive diet is a good way to set up for failure.

You're about 3x more likely to binge and fuck stuff up, or worse, gain everything back when you're done, if the method you use to drop all of the weight isn't something you're ready to stick with for life.

Point is, CICO literally works no matter what the fuck you shove down your throat. It won't be healthy if you eat 1500 calories of twinkies, but you will still lose weight. Allowing yourself to still have your favorite foods in moderation, while also managing your hunger is key to developing a better relationship with food.

It's not if your aim is to lose weight. Just walking around would suit your needs, jogging would be even better.

No stupid.
You can simple eat less and or better and become more active.
Find an active hobby or just do basic daily calisthenics every morning and call it a day.

You're eating less calories than you expend. Calories in calories out.