The ancient Greek diet consisted of shit like bread olives and wine. How did they get so swole?

The ancient Greek diet consisted of shit like bread olives and wine. How did they get so swole?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hl5bqHQ4YrY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Prepare for warfare from the moment you can walk

olive oil is pretty fucking great all round
I really need to add more to my diet

There was meat in ancient times you know

Anchovies.

they were manlets

They weren't.

Do you even stop and consider that things made for art and artistic value may be exaggerated?

because STRONGWORLD cultures don't believe in pussy shit like overtraining

they sucked cocks for protein
they were faggots for a reason you know

yeah but the average Greek was (is) a fucking peasant farmer that had most of their food taken by a magistrate anyway (following a prompt anal session)

You are thinking average helot not average greek

Anchovies and barley, google the gladiator diet, dudes must have been bears

They had meat

They raised cattle and sheep
and sometimes hunted boar

You realise they exaggerated the male form in the artistic works they created right? Be it a sculpture, vase etc. You only need to see some of the sculptures to see muscles on top of muscles.

Plus no xenoestrogens and all the food was natty af

Because CHARES eats bread and olives and fucks SOPHIA while you train for the olympics

pmt

I'm having a hard time believing it didn't also consist of fish, seeds/beans and cured meats.

>Bread
>Olives
>Wine
>Fruit
>Vegetables
>Greek Yogurt
>Honey
>Nuts
>FISH
>Every once in Meat & Eggs

How can you NOT get swole?

What?

How do you know they were swole? The average guy whk has been seriously lifting for a year is probably bigger than they were

They wouldn't recognize the vast majority of what we consider food. Most of their food was much less prepared, came from plants and livestock that hadn't been nearly as bred for specific traits, lacked almost anything we'd consider an additive, and was very repetitive. Eat good-but-plain stuff that hasn't been designed by a marketer every single day and you'll be less likely to over-indulge, too.

It's a common misconception.

The mediterranean dieat is based on fish, vegetables and white meat,
and it's healthy DESPITE olive oil.
Olive oil might be better than other oil but's it's still fucking fat.

>mfw americans douse their food in oilve oil and call it mediterranean diet

The average greek wasn't a fucking olympian you retarded nigger.

still able to fight with 30 kgs bodyarmor, plus 10 kgs shield to keep at chest level, plus spear/sword
You are the ultimate fag

Getting your references of what ancient people looked like from vases is retarded. Imagine if you went to the future and everyone though people looked like jojo characters because it was the only depictions they had.

They grafted from dawn till dusk in hard manual labour jobs. There were no machines making life easier

>slaves ?

You think the average Greek had slaves? Even those that had one or two to help still grafted themselves on farms, in quarries, as blacksmiths, as builders.

>chest level
You mean three feet from the ground?

I don't measure in murrican, but Aristophanes laments a tendency of the degenerate youth to keep their shield at leg height, instead than at the torax height. Clearly it depended from the size of the shield: the spartan shield was reportedly big enough to carry the dead body of a soldier, and a common spartan punishment was to stand with the shield in position for hours.

recommended reading: V. D. HANSON, "the western way of war"

I've spent the last three months working at an Amazon large items warehouse, walking miles on a concrete floor in safety boots and moving heavy shift/driving a machine that goes up 50 feet then moving heavy shit. I eat ANYTHING I can find, all day, and I've lost nearly a stone I couldn't afford to lose.

Ancient Greeks = that x 1000. None of us have any idea how tough everyday life was back then, we would die within months.

>Yfw you realize the ancient Greeks e-statted

Apex kek

it's the gay sex not a drop of protein was wasted.

the average greek wasn't swole

They were basically always moving.

legumes

ancient roids

Because they weren't posting on the internet how ancient Phoenicians were so swole.

This is mostly a meme created recently. The Mediterranean diet is generally considered one of the best for heart health and all round nutrition in general but somewhere along the line blogs and book publishers decided
>Mediterranean diet = olive oil
This couldn't be further from the truth and while olives are a part of the diet, large amounts of oil are not a big part of any healthy diet

The reality is Mediterranean diet = High in veg, small fish, complex grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and generally high in variety and seasonal foods. These are the markers for any healthy diet. Hence pic related being the factors for the healthiest and longest living people on the planet.

On bread, what we consider bread today isn't anything like a traditional loaf that would last you a week which might contain any leftover nuts, seeds, fruit, veg and grains.

The Greek soldier and even Spartan diet were average in protein for the time, high in veg and at wartime/combat/training were very high in carbs. Spartan and greek society were set up to grow masses of crops to feed their soldiers with carbs which gave them a distinct advantage over others and meat was never a big part of their diet.

Greek yogurt is american. They have to call it Greek Style here in the UK because there's nothing greek about it.

They literally take shots of olive oil.

>They weren't.
No, they were. Maybe not all to that extent, but they were because if you were not, you could not survive.
Manual Labor was not only the norm, and working out was the coolest thing to do after studying philosophy.

>yeah but the average Greek was (is) a fucking peasant farmer that had most of their food taken by a magistrate
Pic related are farmers. Most farmers are huge.

Also no, the peasant farmers you are thinking of did not come around until the fall of Rome. Most Greek farmers at the time were on par with small business owners today.

>slave farmers
That's the Romans not the Greeks

>Lel helots were small business owners
>An egalitarian Paradise!
Aristotle said that slaves were born with the spirit of a slave and therefore deserved to be a slave and therefore it was proper that he be ruled over by the master of the house. And these were other Greeks not men of a foreign land.

>Greek yogurt is american. They have to call it Greek Style here in the UK because there's nothing greek about it.
Not greek specifically, but strained yoghurt is popular in the whole area, including Turkey. Great as a base in food instead of cream.

>Lima Linda
>faith

Kek, it's just a bunch ups japs jerking off in their
"First church of squint eyed Christ"

>Greek yogurt is american.

>The cuisine of ancient Greece included a dairy product known as oxygala (οξύγαλα) which is believed to have been a form of yogurt.[19][20][21][22] Galen (AD 129 – c.200/c.216) mentioned that oxygala was consumed with honey, similar to the way thickened Greek yogurt is eaten today.[22][21]

>nothing greek about it.
Strained yogurt has always been common in Greece. I don't know if it technically originated there or not but you're clearly wrong

It certainly was the Greeks too, and before the Romans.

The firmer milk set leads to a better protein content and while the industrial stuff is inspired by it you are correct that the Greeks have had a more sour version if it for a very long time. It's similar to khafir and they are considered the first "cheeses"

Is this a fucking bate thread? you left out beans, milk and cheese among many others.

they ate tons of beans and if you actually start doing the math it's pretty clear how they could get 100-200g a day, not that they'd even need that much to get jacked.

>greek yogurt
Some people are really like REALLY stupid lmao.

I was not being clear enough.
I was referring to the level of autonomy, and I was not saying the Greeks did not believe in slavery, I just mean the common day idea of foreign slaves working the fields with the master cracking the whip was more common on Roman farms then Greek.

I live in the mediterranean, let me teach you.

Olives are important, as is or in oil form. There is little fried food, but when there is, we fry it with olive oil (a SMALL amount of olive oil, no deep frying or shit like that). No butter. Maybe a bit of lard once in a full moon in special occasions.
We east fish. Shitloads of fish. Especially in Greece and Portugal. Fish is good for you. Olive oil + fish fat = you whole healthy fat needs, with all that omega shit.
Vegetables. All kinds of them. high amounts. Cooked in vapor or grilled or in a pan with an HINT of olive oil.
Meat. Chicken, lamb, pork. Lamb in special occasions because it's hard and takes time to cook, but it's marvelous when well made. Pork in low amounts. Cow, sometimes.
We also make a shitload of pork byproducts and eat them sparingly, because they're fat bombs. Delicious though.
Bread. Bread of all kinds. No sugar added.
Oats, nuts, shit like that.
Soup. LOTS AND LOTS OF DELICOUS SOUP FILLED WITH VEGETABLES AND SOMETIMES MEAT.
Rice, pasta and potatoes. Amout eaten varies according to which country you're looking at.
Milk, cheese and yoghurt.
High amount of frutis, especially citrines like orange and lemons. Apples, pears too.

Also, value your sleep (siesta and the likes). It's healthy.

Our diet is being destroyed though, the kids only want sweets and mcdonald's, the little cunts.

>the kids only want sweets and mcdonald's, the little cunts.
Man up and tell them no. Even if they cry and scream.

I'm pissed my parents let me get away with eating that garbage when I was to stupid to know how bad it was.

I don't have kids yet, I was talking about what I see daily.

It also consisted of cum guzzling.

Greeks would store hundreds of gallons of oil annually for villages and cities that contained maybe a thousand people. The fuck are you talking about they didn't consume large amounts of it

"greek yoghurt" is not the same as "greek style yoghurt"

simple google search my friend.

>Feta Cheese

Pretty sure they were more swole than the average american

Something people born after the discovery of petroleum take for granted is the ease with which we can move heavy objects over very long distances. Think of you had to walk to the grocery store every time you needed food, and of course you would then have to carry all that food all the way back. And that was literally everything for them, walking long distances and carrying stuff. Unless you were a noble or something, then you would probably have a horse or carriage

In Greek mythology, the Greeks were said to be the descendants of the gods. That was a long time ago, and lots of genetic drift has occurred over all the generations of the last 2000 years. Now the god's DNA has been diluted and are only expressed weakly in select few individuals. They were just more divine than us. Plain and simple

Ah yes, ye old "ancient man was a beast" myth.

TL:DR version; you're all fucking idiots.

No, they were not all perfect specimens regardless of what pseudo-intellectual bullshit you have or are about to spew.

You don't need to be super swole to be a good farmer or soldier, back then or today. Their physiques suited their lifestyle, even if lifting was not an uncommon pastime (although not as common as you idiots seem to think, as it was still a luxury, and ancient greece was not some utopian paradise where everyone was rich and had bountiful amounts of free time).

Manual labor jobs exist to this day; see construction and still farming. Some people in some places of the world still farm by hand, as it were. None of them are going to win Mr. Olympia. They are utilitarian strong, nothing more.

>Think of you had to walk to the grocery store every time you needed food, and of course you would then have to carry all that food all the way back

Yeah I got pretty big legs just from living in a hilly area where I'd walk everywhere. Carrying 20kgs of groceries uphill for a few blocks was no joke

I meant it as a little poke towards the average man being shorter than now, but thanks for the facts and the reading recommendation.

youtube.com/watch?v=hl5bqHQ4YrY

you probably think the prols in the 1793 french revolution ate french fries, don't you?

my sides

Statues, paintings...

Why is everyone talking about farmers? Soldiers were the ones that were so ripped. The question is how the did considering they didn't have science, they didn't have knowledge about nutrition, they didn't have modern sophisticated gym equipment and a routine.

They also didn't eat xenoestrogens since inception.

>The question is how the did considering they didn't have science, they didn't have knowledge about nutrition, they didn't have modern sophisticated gym equipment and a routine.
Why do you think they did not have any of this?
They were literally the ones who discovered all of this.

Ancient Greeks actually used whey to bulk up, there's a line in the Odyssey about it

>Why is everyone talking about farmers?
Farmers were soldiers. Successful farmers could earn enough to buy weapons/armor and go and fight. Being a soldier was high society.

You have it backwards. Soldiers served for 20 years and then were given a parcel of land and the ability to vote.

>We don't want you here stranger.
>Fuck you I'm not leaving
>Oh really now?

Go read a book, dumbfuck.
That o Ly happened very late in the roman empire, and that was only for professional soldiers.

>you can't fake statues or paintings

Not sure about ancient greece but i am a farmer in greece, i buy 50-60 small chicken every few months and i raise them for food feeding them my own grains and corn, i also plant beans lots and lots of beans
because they are convenient as fuck since they don't spoil and are tasty, also other kinds of legumes and yes we eat olive oil but very rarely for frying purposes, mostly for cooking and salads.
My father was a farmer/truck engineer before retiring, ive been lifting seriously for for about 3 and a half years now other than manual labour and i still cant match his forearms and he never went to a gym in his life.

That was Rome. In Greece, with the exception of Sparta, soldiers were farmers or other peasants called up in times of war.

Stop roadblocks

Anyone is more swole than the average American. You guys are definitely the world leader in obesity.

>That was Rome
Middle-Late Rome to be precise.
Early Roman army's were farmers like Greece, but long foreign wars required a professional fighting force.

Farmers can't tend fields while 2000+ miles away.

Literature. Most of the Greek essays on health and fitness line up with what we know today is true.

I honestly believe that most people who go to them just want to show off their new shiny John deer that got with government money ironically.

citation needed

>fat is bad for you
Just go.

I'm glancing through one of my classics books for that specific piece, but here's a quote from Plutarch's "The Life of Lycrugus"

>Suiting the deed to the word, he distributed the rest of the Laconian land among the "perioeci," or free provincials, in thirty thousand lots, and that which belonged to the city of Sparta, in nine thousand lots, to as many genuine Spartans. But some say that Lycurgus distributed only six thousand lots among the Spartans, and that three thousand were afterwards added by Polydorus; others still, that Polydorus added half of the nine thousand to the half distributed by Lycurgus. 4 The lot of each was large enough to produce annually seventy bushels of barley for a man and twelve for his wife, with a proportionate amount of wine and oil. Lycurgus thought that a lot of this size would be sufficient for them, since they needed sustenance enough to promote vigour and health of body, and nothing else. And it is said that on returning from a journey some time afterwards, as he traversed the land just after the harvest, and saw the heaps of grain standing parallel and equal to one another, he smiled, and said to them that were by: "All Laconia looks like a family estate newly divided among many brothers."

Sparta alone had 9,000 divisions of farmable land that could produce a lot of fucking food, and once the food began being eaten communally, then the mass collections started

Their diet was a lot more balanced than that. Also, daily life in antiquity consisted of manual labour for 90% of the people, be it on a farm, in a workshop, on a ship, or as a soldier. It was tough

Spartans are blood soup on their military ventures

g a i n s

Why do you shitpost on an anonymous Ukranian horse jerking board pretending you know anything about nutrition?

>white meat
Nigga they ate goat, sheep, and beef. The fuck are you talking about

At some point in athens there was 20k citzens to 400k slaves. So yes, if youre not counting the slaves as the avarage, then the avarage greek had slaves

They ate chicken too m8

Complete bullshit. There were 20.000 citizens, that means adult males that owned property, but there were fare more inhabitants than that, and FAR fewer slaves

Sure, but not to the degree that it was a basis of their diet. When they did eat meat, red meats were more typical

Eating chicken and having a diet "based" on white meat are two different things. Get your story straight

I'm not the one who claimed that, just pointing out that white meat was something they ate
alongside dairy, beans and fish, that's a solid basis for gains