Is the jerk not a super dangerous movement?

Is the jerk not a super dangerous movement?

I know fuckall about weightlifting so bear with me. How do these peoples' arms not snap in half while in locked out position holding 300-400+ pounds? Do oly lifters do specific training to strengthen the locked out position?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldman's_dilemma
youtu.be/R8DY5-J6I6c
youtube.com/watch?v=sTAz6ROIuiI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No your are completely right. There is a limited amount of times you can hold that weight like that until basically your shoulders and elbows are spent.

In training they always avoid the locked out position as much as possible and immediately drop the weight. Only in competition do they keep it locked out for long durations

these guys can ohp a ton of weight, squat a ton, etc.

it is dangerous but jerking 300lbs is a lot less dangerous for someone who can ohp 200, squat 400+ etc

Its like a normal person jerking 95lbs

>How do these peoples' arms not snap in half while in locked out position holding 300-400+ pounds?

They are very strong.

No fuck that, the snatch is the dangerous one. Seems like one bad rep could easily fuck your shoulders permanently.

People at that level of competition literally dont give a shit about health/longevity. If you asked most Olympians they would give anything to have a chance at a gold medal

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldman's_dilemma

Pretty much, everyone's heard of that survey that said "Over 50% will take a drug that kills them in 5 years if it gave them a gold."

Also where them titties from?

If you do any exercise over your limit, it's dangerous. Olympic weightlifters progressively overload the jerk, just like anybody else would do with squats, diddlys, etc. If you have a PR jerk of 100kgs and you randomly decide to jerk 130kgs, yeah, you very well might hurt yourself, but that's because you're a fucking retard. As for training lockout, weightlifters tend to train things like push presses, strict presses, and even bench to strengthen the triceps for lockout, but the bulk of the work in jerks come from the legs.

Elite lever olympic weightlifters are on drugs so they recover faster.

Add to that the religious stretching and rehab work they do before and after every fucking training session.

It's not dangerous. If you can get the weight over your head, typically you can hold the locked position.

Yeah that much is true. There is much more room for error during a snatch and you can easily be fucked by one slightly bad catch. Still a fun lift

>How do these peoples' arms not snap in half while in locked out position holding 300-400+ pounds?
Well, they didn't start out holding 300-400+ pounds. They started at 95lbs, progressed to 105 lbs, went on to 115 lbs, and it was just a slow build up to 400 lbs.

Pic related. This is what happens when you jump up from 105 to 205 to over 400 lbs. Sorry for the shit quality. Only video I found on youtube.

nope

not watching that again

You're right. That is some dangerous stuff.

Bring back the clean and press.

youtu.be/R8DY5-J6I6c

you're a fucking idiot and have never trained WL in your life

HEY MOM ITS ANOTHER EPISODE OF DYEL 17 YEAR OLD BODYBUILDING WANNABE TWINKS SAY OLY IS DANGEROUS

>They started at 95lbs

tell me in what universe you start a new athlete with 43kg

>There is a limited amount of times you can hold that weight like that
never post again and kill you're selve my dear

Clarence Kennedy?
youtube.com/watch?v=sTAz6ROIuiI

>170kg/375lbs squat 1rm after just 2 years
What the actual fuck? I've been lifting for 10 months now and my 1rm squat just reached 300lbs last week. I could not imagine to pack on 75lbs to my 1rm in just one year. Does GPP like tricking and doing oly lifts help you increase the weight?

oly lifts DEMAND an extremely good squat. There is no doubt that clarence squats every training session he has ever done unless injured.

Lol the jerk is not dangerous at all if youre not a retard at jerk 150 kg ++ the first attempt. Study shows that most weightlifters suffer from lower back injury, not fucking shoulders.

Then tell me why all good WLers careers end after a few years at peak?

protip: because knees and shoulders can only take a limited amount at those weights

but thats acute injury rates..

the OP was imo wondering about how much wear is caused, and there is no question that OLY lifters careers are extremely short at peak performance

Nah thats the realest data available on the internet unfortunately. Your statement has no proof whatsover, just a mere hypothesis.

proof is out there

look up how many Oly lifters over lets say 35yo you can find that still take home medals

then do the same for powerlifters, some of those are like 45+ and still perform well. Because they don't need to do snatch/clean and jerk

>CrossFit
>most common injury
>shoulder
dat kip tho

>Then tell me why all good WLers careers end after a few years at peak?
Nearly all olympic level athlete's careers end in a few years. Some, especially gymnastics, might even only last A SINGLE OLYMPIC GAMES.

There's some really shitty ones that can go for quite some time though, like pistol marksmanship or equestrian or curling, but anything extremely physically demanding is guaranteed to have a short peak period.

which answers the OPs question. NO, you cannot keep doing heavy jerks for a long time at peak performance

of course you can keep jerking baby weights for quite some time with the purpose of fighting the sniffles... but heavy lifts, no.

HMMMM MAYBE BECAUSE YOUR PHYSICAL PEAK IS AROUND AGE 24-28 AND UNTIL THEN YOU SHOULD BE TRAINING AND WAITING FOR YOUR PEAK YEARS TO BE YOUR BEST AT COMPETITION

you added 255lb (although you probably didnt start with the bar) to your squat in 10 months, but cant imagine adding 75 in 12??

170kg squat in 2 years isnt remarkable for anyone who trains seriously. especially if they train oly

yeah, that just arguest the point even further?

train for that one year of max effort, after which your shoulders and elbows will never be quite the same again..

if they could recover from that there would be literally nothing stopping you from just getting better and better each year for quite a long time

there is absolutely no other physical reason for the peak being short except for permanent wear on joints and tendons building up.

all the rest is artificially enhanced anyway and does not decline at all, HGH/igf/testo levels and a range of other hormones are optimized and can be kept optimized for years and years

do you see BBers stop growing after they turn 25? nope

Phisical peak is 30-35 though

I wonder why average olympian age since 1896 has hovered between 22 and 26

really makes me think

>if they could recover from that there would be literally nothing stopping you from just getting better and better each year for quite a long time

aside from the natural decline of the human body from its peak

>do you see BBers stop growing after they turn 25? nope

they are not athletes they are vapid faggots who dont need anything other than the ability to grow muscle

what natural decline are you talking about? no Oly lifter is natural.

the only natural decline that is relevant here is the irreversible wear caused on their joints/ligaments/tendons

>I know fuckall about weightlifting

you all are so fucking stupid this is why I dont venture out of generals

Still trying to figure out if he natty

Of course its limited. We're all gonna die

literally a push press
[spoiler]I still support it[/spoiler]

Protip: no professional in olympic weightlifting is natty

eh, surprisngly shoulders aren't in the most danger as they are incredibly mobile in WLers, in most cases, it's either their elbows, knees, or back are in the most risk. If you know your limits and how to bail properly, shoulders are at a reduced risk of serious injury

you niggers have no idea what you're talking about. this is ridiculous

I don't have a squat rack and I feel like I'm going to snap my spine in half one day because I have to clean and jerk every set

brace your core better by tensing your abs

nice tits