Shun VS Wusthof

Title says it all really. I am wanting knife to last me forever and the choice is between the Wusthof Ikon 8" Chefs knife, or Shun Classic. Which would you choose and why?

Im sure there are a million other knifes, but this price point ($150) is about as high as I want to go.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of Chinese Chef's knives

Good for chopping, picking up, and dropping right into the frying pan

Go to a store to try one out.

as an owner of both, wusthof desu. I absolutley love my shun knives but i feel that they aren't made as well as the wusthofs. They both are of high quality its just personal preference. IMO the wustohf has a more comfy handle. Its bigger and chunkier than the shun, which feels light and effortless in the hand.

I went to William Sonoma today or whatever they are called, tried both (Briefly). I felt weird holding a knife, it was kind of busy because Saturday and there was a lot of people. I just felt like everyone was staring at me, like look at the dude with the big knife in his hand. But I'm sure its all in my head. Anyways I didnt mess with them long. The Wusthof felt really nice, heavier in a good way. My wife said the same thing but she didnt like the extra weight. But ive heard the Shuns hold an edge better.

The Williams Sonoma I went to only had like 4 brands. Go to a Sur La Table and they have about 10. There was even a bowl of veg for you to chop if you wanted to. I went with a Miyabi because I like to balance and wideness.

I got a Japanese knife made with Blue #2 steel, very easy to sharpen and the edge holds up well through my misuse

OP here. Here is my highest end knife I currently own in the kitchen. I am fairly new to cooking at home on a regular basis and I am taking great enjoyment out of it. I heard a great Chefs knife is best.

So my question is, what differences will I see going from my Global that I have now, to one of the 2 I mentioned above? What will it do better, etc?

Thanks man, I'll check around for that store as well to see if there is one near me. Appreciate the input on that. But was hoping to also hear personal preferences from people.

Was really hoping to get an answer for this question here. If anyone is still snooping around.

I though this was Veeky Forums for a second. Either one would be a great choice, although Shun may have a smaller room for error and higher maintenance

I will go there too! I didnt realize there was a board for that stuff haha. Thanks!

All I can tell you is I have a global paring knife and it is way easier for me to sharpen pic related. I've never used a Shun or Wusthof.

the Wustof knife has a softer edge compared to shun knives meaning the blade will lose its sharpness sooner but needs less maintenance. The Shun knife has a harder edge so it stays sharp but it needs to be washed after each use or else it will begin to rust.
>t. williams sonoma employee

Awesome, thanks for the info on that :D I wash my global after every use. So, I am hoping that wont be a problemas far as rust goes if I go with the Shun.

global

i used to work at Sur La Table, I've owned both, time to answer properly:

I am shun guy. They stay sharper feeling, they glide through shit, they feel nicer. However, I don't eat meat so I don't have to do shit like cutting through bone or whatever you fags do with meat that I don't understand since I'm gay. Jap knives have a sharper angle on them since japs cut so many veggies and fish. You can send these back to Shun and they'll put a factory edge back on the knife to sharpen it for you. Downside - shipping and waiting for it to return takes time.

If you plan to do heavy duty hacking, go german, go wusthof. Hack through bones and shit, but it's also not going to glide through vegetables as nicely and feels more utilitarian. Plus side about sharpening these is Sur La Table can do it or you can use a home sharpener since those are made with the correct angle for german knives. Sur La Table charges a dollar an inch for sharpening, which is cheap, but they also do free knife sharpening events so you come in and waste time buying shit you don't need while they sharpen your knives.

Love the answer, hilarious. And appreciate the reply with the differences one might see. I dont do a lot of hacking or cutting through bone so.. Maybe the Shun. Im still torn. Hearing things from everyone and its all kind of down the middle.

Global is also good for the same reasons as Shun, though I still go with my Shun knives while my Global sit on my knife magnet untouched for some reason.

My ex-gf really liked the Global knives more, I think because that weird handle shape was better in her smaller hands.

I'm this guy for reference:

Oh yeah, I got a free Miyabi knife too when I worked there as this guy referenced:
I actually use the shit out of my 8" Miyabi Chef's knife. It's kind of a nice balance between Shun and Wusthof. It has that sharp jap edge but has a little more of that utilitarian feel of a wusthof. (not to confuse you with more choices)

I'd honestly just go to Sur La Table and try out all 3.

Also, don't let them upsell you on shit you don't need. You don't need a special veggie knife and a santoku and 5" Chef's knife, plus a 7" and a 12"... The most you need and will ever use is:

8" Chef's Knife (or something similar)
3" Paring knife (or something similar)

The one upsell that might be necessary is a honing steel, but you don't have to get that right away. It's good to have though.

I'd just buy whatever felt the best and then if you have trouble after that, buy whatever has the best price going. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them really.

THIS IS A BOARD TO DISCUSS FITNESS AND HOMOSEXUALITY

SHILLS OUT REEEEEEEEEE

>Sur La Table
Awesome replies, much appreciated. I Just googled the store and there is one nearby me so I may stop in there and check them all out. Thanks for the input and 3rd option :P

no problem

also, are you a girl and if so, pls be in london.

make me you fucking faggot

I am not. Sorry bud :P

can you still give me a handy? No homo.

Definitely Shun, the blade is at a sharper 16 degree angle. Shuns come with lifetime sharpening too. Plus dat damascus blade is sexy af.

Will consider..

>Buy Tojiro
>Same Jap Steel as Shun, less money.
>Use the money you save to buy sharpening stones.
>Keep it clean, take care of it.
>I can do a slow-speed horizontal one-hand slice on a tomato thinner than a sheet of paper. Fuck with me, end up in the salad.
>I cut myself on it within 10 seconds of taking it out of the box because I'm use to Walmart "knives"

Trust Veeky Forums to have a better discussion on this than Veeky Forums.

>inb4 ulu and Santoku fuckery