Martial Arts

What martial arts do you do? Which do you think are just meme martial arts?

Alpha Judo for six years, works out all parts of the body in intense workout

Meme martial arts:
>Kung Fu
>Karate
>Taekwondo

I totally agree with your meme martial arts, especially kung fu. You're not going to be saving yourself on the street by looking like a praying mantis.
I do Jiu Jitsu, it gets you going so in that sense it keeps you active. Plus it is useful, you only really need a guy on the ground then you can run away irl.
Muay Thai if you are really try to get the workout, or boxing or some shit like that.
I know someone who is black belt in kung fu he's been at it for three years. It's a fucking meme.

I'm torn between taking up Krav Maga and dismantling the Lesbian Jewish Mafia Media Machine® from the inside or just joining a boxing gym.

MMA master race reporting in

>I totally agree with your meme martial arts, especially kung fu. You're not going to be saving yourself on the street by looking like a praying mantis.

"Kung Fu" is just a generic term in Chinese for martial arts.

Boxing is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.

Wrestling is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.

A lot of Chinese MMA fans compliment good MMA fighters by saying they are good at "kung fu".

Isn't a black belt in kung fu an entry-level belt?

I study and train aikido. My sensei also branches out into kenjutsu (swords), naginatajutsu (it's a kind of lance), and kyuudo (traditional Japanese archery).

These skills are pretty much useless in today's world, seeing as guns are a thing now. Unless there was some kind of survival situation and all you had to fight with were lengths of wood.

I go to the gym 5 times a week, jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week. Gracie jiu jitsu specifically. It is pretty awesome. Just started a few months ago. Still getting my ass kicked during rolling but alot of fun and has amazing self defense techniques. Also a great cardio workout and is my general abdominal core exercise of the week. Highly recommend if anyone has a gracie gym in their area.

I practice Overwatch, e-sports.

Krav Maga is fucking retarded

I used to do Kung Fu a long time ago and holy shit it was a fucking meme.

The way you got new belts and 'ranked up' was by memorizing these sort of dances called 'forms' where you do different movements in sequence.

Eventually you would LARP your way to getting a staff and memorize more 'forms'.

Once you reached purple belt or some shit you got a sword. It takes only about a year after starting from nothing to get to a purple belt.

I am so glad I quit that BS jew money sucking machine

>"Kung Fu" is just a generic term in Chinese for martial arts.
>Boxing is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.
>Wrestling is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.
Nigga we aren't chinese

Krav Maga is fucking retarded
do Judo, BJJ, or Jiu Jitsu instead

>meme arts
You just used blanket terms for martial arts in different languages.
There are no meme arts only shit teachers.

I did karate for near on 10 years, okinoawan go-jyu ryu spe specifically, started at a young age because I just wanted to learn a martial art and was the only club accessible, was a lot of kata/formwork but more so practical application of defence, was involved in a few self defense demonstration at local fairs.
>any art will teach you the basics, you must learn to apply them practically or all arts are meme arts.

My friend does goes to a club that's advertised as Kung Fu. All they do is bareknuckle box each other with no real rules. Just no full force punches. Broken noses all the time

Seems like it depends on the club. Because I can't think of a better way to learn to defend yourself from random people

How is their billing? I was considering the one near me but I heard they were a bunch of jews and lock you in contracts.

Thinking of getting into Capoeira for sole purpose of incorporating BW. Not for self defense. Fucking monkey men fit as fuck flipping all around.

OP here, I never did nor understood wrestling
My Sensei was showing a technique and made a comparison to wrestling saying that in wrestling if your back touches the ground you lose

wtf? maybe since im coming from a judo perspective but that seems like an autistic sport, that removes such a huge opportunity of attack from defense position in stuff

as well, I heard that in wrestling youre supposed to keep your head up. wtf? what if somebody is trying to get a choke on you? rip
this.

>only shit teachers

This. I use to teach Ashihara Karate (read: based art). Seriously, I've met a lot of awful teachers in my time. McDojo's are unfortunately everywhere. Stay on the look out people.

Aye yo grapplers post some workouts, I feel like I just do bro shit at the gym with no idea why I'm doing anything.

Bjj here, but I'd like to hear what wrestlers do in the weight room, they always look so much more jacked

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full

>Kajukenbo is karate
>Kyukoshin is karate

don't hate on the original asskickers

Did bjj a few years ago, recently got into judo.

Both are great for cardio, due to more groundwork BJJ was harder on abs. I'm really enjoying the stand-up work in Judo but the sport emphasis means everyone will happily give their back if it means keeping their shoulders off the mat, and this seems so inherently wrong to me.

Is mma the best for just generally knowing how to defend yourself on the street?

That's all I really want to be able to do.

the point of keeping shoulders off mat is to keep hands out towards opponent when on ground. It is much harder to reach for the other person if your shoulders are down.

It's if both your shoulder blades touch the ground you lose

I pay about 150 per month (with military discount) for unlimited sessions per month which I think is good in terms of martial arts lessons. Yeah gracie jiu jitsu can be expensive but in my area (pretty danferous city) they are reasonable and have pretty good discounts and free trials. Sure it is expensive and sometimes uncommon to get in altercations but I think in terms I'd rather be alive and pay some money than kbocked out/dead on the street and not know street defense.

join the boxing gym and gain superior upper body strength

>mma meme
best thing to defend yourself is a gun, no exceptions
as for a good workout, Judo, BJJ, Jiu Jitsu

Also chokeholds are illegal in wrestling, you don't tap people out in olympic style.

>a gun

True, but for random bar fights or something of the sort you usually can't even bring a gun in and if you pulled one out when someone was getting aggressive on you that would lead to all kinds of problems for you.

It's illegal but people use them pretty extensively.

If you are looking to protect yourself from they sterotypical asshole at the bar, you will just need to know your 1,2,3 from boxing. Perfecting your 1,2,3 wins fights

Except guns will get you a manslaughter charge.

Also on contracts, my gym doesn't lock you in. They specifically told me before I signed up if you have a job/problem that comes up randomly and need to switch times or sessions per month they can switch/terminate your contract. Really nice folks over at the place I go to.

>The way you got new belts and 'ranked up' was by memorizing these sort of dances called 'forms' where you do different movements in sequence.
>Eventually you would LARP your way to getting a staff and memorize more 'forms'.
>Once you reached purple belt or some shit you got a sword. It takes only about a year after starting from nothing to get to a purple belt.
Lol

If you want to fight somebody in a real situation learning Judo & Jiu Jitsu forms is important just for general skill

Of course you wont do a throw with a Gi on in the bar, but the experience of doing such throws, pins, chokes, armbars, etc. will give you skill in real fights

He's pointing out your ignorance. Saying kungfu is meme is meaningless, because kungfu doesn't mean one single thing or type of martial arts.

There are no meme martial arts, at least not among the major prominent ones. There are only meme practitioners. Whatever you say about judo can apply just as well to karate etc. It's hard to take your words seriously since you claim kungfu is a meme because again, as said, kungfu isn't one 'thing', just like how japanese martial arts isn't one thing, there are judo, aikido, karate etc.

That's because you fucked up and learned the 'show' based ones. Even shaolin has split schools for this reason: the ones more focused on showmanship and the less fancy ones that focus on self defence. Which once again leads back to the point: it's not the martial arts, but the ones selling it. Just because there are plenty of mcdojos around doesn't mean all forms of japanese martial arts are memes.

shame

found the kid whos mom got scammed by a "100% leeegiit kung fu masster" when he was a fat 10yo

So what I'm getting is boxing, judo and bjj so basically mma?

Most major martial arts, assuming you have a competent instructor, is more than enough to defend you on the streets. Doesn't matter if its, mma, bjj, karate, aikido, judo. Remember: this is self-defence, it's different from internet tough guy brags about muh krav maga/marine corp ma/ some other spec ops shit about how you know how snap a guy's neck in 100 ways.

I knew someone will come up this retort. See above, this part in particular.
>Remember: this is self-defence, it's different from internet tough guy brags about muh krav maga/marine corp ma/ some other spec ops shit about how you know how snap a guy's neck in 100 ways.

Again, thanks for proving my point.

It's beautiful to watch, extremely fun to perform, and is great for your flexibility, agility, and balance. But it is mostly impractical in a fight.

It is my favorite martial art.

>memema

Exactly i wouldnt do 80% of their moves in a fight. They do have standard kicks that most striking arts have. In it for its non fighting aspects.

>tfw rip flexibility
>t-thanks rippetoe

>claims kungfu is a meme
>explain that kungfu isn't those fancy animal movement shit like you see on tv
>lol just another kid who got scammed
Stay classy, Veeky Forums.

Now for those who actually do want to learn proper self-defence rather than pretend they're tough: do proper research and don't be mislead by people talking about X martial arts is the best! Different ma has their styles and technique that are worth knowing about. Disregarding other ma as being a meme is being narrow minded and impedes you from actually learning. Make sure you're actually learning for self-defence and not just for competition. The latter is why you have people mocking mma, even though you can still go and learn mma for more self-defence based technique.

If you go to an "mma" gym, you are wasting your money. You want to do a certain practice, you can mix them if you want to. Like do muey thai 2 days a week and jui jits 3 days a week or something.

Definitely don't have time for that on top of lifting.

I kind of think it would be best to just take up boxing because my size alone will overpower most people on the ground

Liftings not that great if you want to compete in any fighting. It makes you slow, its good just for fun. I do boxing/muey thai and lift on the side. I don't really want to get big though because i'm a manlet.

>My size alone will overpower people on the ground
Hahahahahaha

What makes it retarded

I don't want to compete in fighting, like I said it's just for basic self defense.

?

Over the average untrained person. Not every douchebag at a bar is a bjj black belt.

Kung fu isn't like the shit on kung fu panda but it is the meme of martial arts. It is about the "form and technique" "the tiger claw technique." If you want to talk about real self defense, don't go to kung fu. It's a meme, accept it.

And I don't give a shit what kung fu is like in Mongolia, if you really want an old asian style self defense type of martial art try Taekwando. It is the least memiest.

The best self defense are shit the others are saying like boxing (in a fitness sense), judo, bjj, muay thai.
The only good I can see out of going to Kung Fu is the warm up workouts, as long as you're not at a mcdojo. But it's the kind of stuff you can do at home.

Then just do boxing, make sure you don't do boxing "fitness". Also they can charge an arm and a leg its hard to find anything below 80 a month.

Sounds good. How do boxing gyms work? Are you in like a class setting? Seems like you would need a lot of 1 on 1 time to get good

oh hey
it's the boxing shill

Allow me to counter with BJJ

I've been to a boxing gym

it's usually that there are enough coaches that they give you one on one advice, leave you to practice, and then teach someone else.

>TKD 10 years
>Muay Thai 3 years
>Wing Chun 3 years
>Boxing (amateur) 3 years
>Japanese Jujutsu 6 years

Ama I guess. Sucks that the knowledge is still in my head but I'm so out of practice my body doesn't listen anymore.

Japanese Jujutsu is by far my favorite. Followed by boxing. WC helped a lot with my boxing and MT, surprisingly. And TKD was meme style from when I was a kid. Still beneficial tho

Cool thanks

As a bjj white belt and a big guy (4u)I realised pretty quick I could just muscle my way into tapping all of the other white belts and smaller blue belts until a 60kg asian purple belt had me completely and totally fucked before I knew what was happening.

In boxing, there's something called the 80/20 rule.

The coach will spend 80% of his time on his best fighter and 20% of his time on the rest.

Essentially it's up to you to improve. Work hard and get noticed.

I did 5 years of TKD but it wasn't the typical strip mall bullshit. I'm doing Judo right now but I started like 2 months ago.

Memes:
>Kung Fu
Especially Wing Chun
>Shotokan Karate
Not Kyokushin though
>Krav Maga
good workout but most places teach trashy technique, it'd be useful against someone who is clueless but so would kung fu

Yeah I know. I did bjj for about 6 months. I understand at a certain point size stops mattering but for the majority of real world encounters size will matter a lot.

1 month into Muay Thai, today the trainer tried to sell me snake oil , is that common?

MMA isn't a martial art. It's a rule set that allows multiple martial arts to coexist in a live environment.
Most decent "MMA" gyms will offer something like "pay 100 a month to be able to attend any class you want". Then you can attend their Muay Thai, Boxing and BJJ clases separately. A couple days a week, you can also attend open mat sparring sessions that follow MMA rules to help you tie it all together.

How so? What's the guys background?

Size matters..up until a certain point

>How do boxing gyms work?
If it's a boxing gym that actually produces amateur/golden glove/professional fighters?
You open with 10+ minutes of jumping rope.
Then you do a minimum 2 mile run.
Then you do 20+ minutes of body weight routines like bear crawls, burpees, shadow boxing and whatever the fuck else the instructor can come up with to get you soaked in sweat.
Afterwards, you put in work on a heavybag for half an hour.
Then you pair up and start doing mitt work for 30+ minutes, with a focus on specific combos and technique.
Once you're tired, sore and shot, that's when the hour+ of sparring starts.
If your gym is really high quality, after sparring, they'll have you cool down with a mile run and some stretching, while the coach goes over what he saw that needs working on.

>oh hey
>it's the bench press shill
>Allow me to counter with SQUATS
Boxing and BJJ are two completely separate disciplines that focus on different things. Stop being a nigger.

He is American but told us that he trained 2 years in Thailand, he says snake oil may prevent injuries but I'm a little sceptical

Always did the opposite. Sparring after the body weight shit and then heavy bag for multiple rounds and then roadwork

Exactly, so when someone says 'I train in Kung Fu' you know they're bullshit, just like when someone says 'I train in mma'

Um... Literally "snake oil"?

You know that a "snake oil salesman" literally means someone who sells products that don't work, right?

I think he was fucking with you. Or you're fucking with me. Either way 9/10 troll by one of you.

It can be switched up: I was just sharing what my gym did. The point is to put you through the ringer and not ignore cardio.
>heavybag for cooldown
sounds comfy

Wrestling is a sport from the ancient Greeks and Romans. It's more about showing dominance by laying on top of your opponent as they are pinned to the ground. I guess they can use for combat. I imagine Roman soldiers taking down and pinning a barbarian to the ground, pulling out a dagger and slipping it into the ribs. Similarly, Judo was a martial art created to take down samurais handicapped by their heavy armor which afterwards you would stab the guy.

Not kidding he literally showed us the bottle, aplied some in his elbows and legs and then offered some to us (two friends and me), when we declined his offer he told us that is part of the "Muay Thai Culture" that he learned back in his days in Thailand.

I am learning the ancient martial art of PUTTING A FUCKING BULLET IN YOUR SKULL.

just get a gun and learn how to use it.

was most likely menthol liniment, ask jeeves it.

This. It was pic related. I didn't bother reading the label when he showed the bottle. Guess he was kidding with the "snake oil" part. So is this menthol a meme or is legit?, thank you in advance bro I really want to get into Muay Thai but don't want to get memed

You sure it wasn't tiger balm

They use that shit all the time. Smells like menthol and comes in an orange bottle of its the Thai version

Yeah what I thought. It's jus Thai icy hot bro, it's legit enough to relive soreness

He probably called it snake oil memeing on the old phrase 'snake oil salesman'

What are Muay Thai workouts actually like? I've never seen someone describe the experience of an MT gym before

It's all HIIT

Interval training plus cardio plus skill work

It's fun bruv

I did aikido for six years.

It's a joke. It isn't even a martial art because there's nothing 'martial' about it. It has more in common with pro wrestling or contemporary dance than martial arts.

I swapped it for BJJ and realised I'd been wasting my life. Aikido has no practical real world fighting applications whatsoever. No more than ballet.

This capoeira KO is basically the only one in existence, but capoeira monkeys keep holding it out to say "see?? It really works!!"

A one in a million lucky shot =/= "works".

HIIT?

High intensity interval training
Also with standard cardio and actual Thai boxing skill work. Any other strengthening and conditioning is just conventional lifting

My muay thai coach and training partners were big on tiger balm

My judo partners not so much

What he said
Think sprinting for a few minutes followed by walking for a minute followed by sprinting etc

Except instead of sprinting you're punching and kicking

this

hope you like skipping

My "gym" is more like the local boxing "club" - you only pay 60€ each year though.

Full with normies. Even when i started boxing (after i went from nearly fatty to fit) i stomped them all in sparring; they were even mad at me for pushing to agressiv.....

Only had this 1 black guy head taller then me who actually rekt me and i can look up to (insert manlet meme here)

Rest of the taller guys all throw one hit and back off; and if i get one chin hit they need a pause ffs

But thats the best i get without driving +30min :/

Of all the "meme" styles Aikido seems to have the fucking worst rep. Then again my only encounter with it was a fat guy who never seemed to have any strength, balance, co ordination or technique. He had been training for a while and I don't think he knew a single throw, takedown or submission. I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be about besides some really vague "use your opponents force against them". I don't know if they ever trained with a resisting partner. Resistance might have been against their philosophy. I don't know if he was just shit, or got scammed by a mcdojo, or if Aikido is just a lot of shit.

A lot more chance for someone to rub their face or eyes against your tiger balm infused gii and be in agony. I'm going to use this in comps.

I've actually met a couple legit Aikidoka. People need to remember it's a very defensive oriented fighting style. You can't use it in a 1v1 "fight" as you can almost never be aggressive with it. It relies on surprise and over aggressive attackers.

I can see it working well with another art. Good body control and distancing is needed.

Having said that, it doesn't mean it's a good style.

Same with Wing Chun as I mentioned earlier. Wing Chun principles applied to MT and boxing along with some of its sensitivity drills were pretty killer. On its own, not so much.

>they were even mad at me for pushing to agressiv
You gotta keep in mind that going hard on a newbie is worthless for both you and them: beating on them excessively doesn't give them a chance to learn, and an easy victory for you doesn't do shit towards making you a better fighter. In situations like that, you're better off just trying out new/different shit that you're not so good at.

>only pay 60€ each year though
Jealous. $80 (roughly 40 euro) is what I pay per month.

You might have just had a bad sensei, though it is an admittedly 'dated' martial art. It is based on the unarmed combat style of the samurai and its use was for when your weapon was damaged or lost. You had to imagine your opponent was armed and you had to incapacitate them as quickly as possible - I've found a lot of modern styles adapted to competitiveness favour protracted combat for some reason. Maybe it just looks cool.

The style I practice, while possessing various unarmed striking and blocking techniques for curriculum, is heavily focused on wrist/joint locks. I'm not taught to achieve a knock out on my opponent - I'm taught to break their wrist, elbow, shoulder, or neck.

>2 deadly 4 da ring

mate you're only taught to think you can break their wrist, elbow, shoulder, or neck.

Let us imagine a 120kg Samoan guy is trying to punch the fuck out of you. You'll die before you get a wrist lock.

>people can sprain/break their bones falling under their own bodyweight by themselves
>"I find it difficult to believe that any training could teach you to manoeuvre someone into sustaining such injuries."

I find it difficult to believe that the *aikido* fluorishes, that don't get tested against resisting opponents, teach that.

You doing a throw, or a fucking wrist lock?