Veeky Forums, how do I break a plateau? My goal is to be able to do handstand pushups...

Veeky Forums, how do I break a plateau? My goal is to be able to do handstand pushups. The guide that I'm following advises to first train until you can hold a handstand for 2 minutes. In only a few weeks, I went from not being able to do a handstand at all to being able to hold one for 1m20. But since reaching that record, I've been stagnating hard. It has now been several weeks without any progress, and often I don't even get to 1m20 anymore. I don't think that I'm overtraining since I only do it 3 times a week.

Today I only managed to hold for about 1m05. It's very depressing. The same issue happened to me back when I was trying to do 50 regular pushups. I feel like a subhuman.

If you're going to HSPU just doing push ups and handstands won't do the trick. Handstand push up requires way more strenght. You should try something like pic, meaning something with progression to gain strenght to perform a hand stand push up.

>If you're going to HSPU just doing push ups and handstands won't do the trick. Handstand push up requires way more strenght.
Well, I already know that. The guide says to first get to 2m handstand, then after move on to half-handstand pushups until you can do 2 sets of 20, and only then move on to full handstand pushups. It makes sense to me, but I just don't understand why I always so suddenly stagnate at every exercises I try to do. I guess I could give your chart a try, but I'm not really hopeful anymore.

Trying different exercises especially with more volume is the key to break plateaus, in your case id recommend picking a lighter hspu variation, maybe high rep pike pushups are the way to go to increase the handstand hold time, i follow pic related to get to hspu, and your progression sounds like way too big jumps

Do x push ups. Once thats done elevate your feet x inches and do x amount. Once you accomplish that elevate your feet higher and strive to your goal. Do that for 6 months and youll be able to do hspu. Consistency and dedication, thats all it is

Alright, I'll try to train in the wall bent waist handstand pushup. I just tried them with my feet on top my cabinet and managed to do 5. I hope that by the time I get to 20, I'll be able to do real handstand pushups.
6 months sound extremely pessimistic to me. I can already do a few half-handstand pushups.

How the fuck you plateau with bodyweight exercises?!

Smh i was speculating a time frame
It could be 3 weeks for all i know

I wish I could tell you, but I just don't know. It's always the same thing; amazing progress that goes faster than expected of anyone, followed by a really sudden and unbreakable plateau. I really don't get it and it pisses me off. It's like my body is only capable of adding weight, but not reps.

2m handstand is rather arbitrary IMO. I think the author just wanted you to hold it long enought to be able to do push up. Also with numbers like 50 or 20 reps you're getting into training for stamina territory. If your goal is just to be able to perform at least one HSPU I wouldn't worry about not hitting 20th rep.

Do you not have access to weights, OP? I can't even OHP bw right now but I can do about 8 handstand pushups on a good day. I think doing OHP will give you help for the movement more than a static hold with your arms extended will.

My goal is to get as strong and fit as possible using bodyweight training until I can move on to weight training. I plan on being able to do one-handed handstand pushups.

If you're going for reps/holding position time you'll eventuallt hit it if you don't do other exercises.

That you should find some solid routine.
Whatever you do now sounds like a mess or some meme routine chart like one of those "superhero work outs". Check out /bwg/ when there's one.

I can do HSPU and i've never tried to hold a handstand for probably more than a minute. The hardest thing I find about them is getting the delt strength, try doing them against the wall and as you're about half way down in a rep, kick your feet off the wall slightly and hold it for as long as you can. Will help a lot with your progress and getting the balance right.

It's a book called Convict Conditioning. The author can do all of his exercises, so it seems credible to me. It was recommended to me by someone else.
I'm not really going for balance, purely for strength. I do everything wall-assisted with only my heels touching.

6 months is a perfect amount of time dude. Just be constant and change it up a bit once you feel plateau, try some puke push ups, uneven handstand to strengthen one arm a bit more at a time. Just be patient and rest well.

Ok trow that book to the trashcan and go to the beastskills site. The model they used on the book is the guy that writes that page. His progressions are a bit better explained on the site.

>puke push ups

Wait, so you want to just be able to do them against a wall or freehold? If it's the former, just kick against a wall and do some push ups it's not really something you should be stagnating on

>Convict Conditioning
So yes, it is a meme routine. I belive all the photos were stage. Grab Overcoming Gravity or Foundation series.

Alright, I'll check it out.
I'm just trying to gain as much strength as possible. I can very easily kick against the wall and get into position, but my arms collapse when I get lower than a half-handstand.
Were they really staged? That would be incredibly disappointing to me.

There's so many stuff I'm being recommended and they all advise different things. Fitness is a lot more confusing than I used to think it was. What about the book Never Gymless, what do you guys think of it?

This

Start dipping in the handstand

It's easy dude. I think I can fuck up a gorilla with my bare hands by now.

I practiced MMA for 7 years now, boxing in parallel for 6 years, I could.
Not to count strength training at the gym for 4 years, 6 ft 1 1/2 for 189 lbs.

I have an insane speed, reflexes similar to my speed. I just have to wait for him to charge me, dodge his attacks, and throw good punches to his head. I won't stop, and at the smallest mistake he does, the gorilla is finished.

You'll always have virgins from here thinking that it's impossible. First, nothing is impossible with will, my friends, and 2) that's not with your weak ass bodies that you'll do anything.
Any man with a minimum of training can beat a gorilla with a knife anyway. With bare hands, that is not necessarily more complicated, it just requires technical skills.

>There's so many stuff I'm being recommended and they all advise different things. Fitness is a lot more confusing than I used to think it was. What about the book Never Gymless, what do you guys think of it?

Human body is complex machine after all. If you want to be your own coach, there's lot of stuff you need to know if you want to do good job.

I already do. I do negative reps, but I seem to have stagnated with them too.
>>/18-25/
That's true. I wish we had better and fully consistent and scientific explanations on fitness.

Another thing that I've been doing is isometrics, and I've read a LOT about those, and no two sources ever recommend doing them the same way. Shit sucks. Even things as simple as how long you should be doing the contraction.

>Another thing that I've been doing is isometrics, and I've read a LOT about those, and no two sources ever recommend doing them the same way. Shit sucks. Even things as simple as how long you should be doing the contraction

You can always try to search medical databases or similar stuff. That's usually what I take into account when I judge fitness books. Good ones usualy either have some sort of references or citations from reaserch or are the works of proffesionals that perfected them for years.