ITT: Veeky Forums approved books

ITT: Veeky Forums approved books

No.
That's not angsty teenager tier, it's far beyond the loser reading Catcher in the Rye.

How's sophomore year of high school going buddy?

How is this Veeky Forums approved? Its basically a manifesto about being a cunt to others. Ayn Rand is a hypocritical piece of shit, and her work is garbage.

Does this book get better? I'm 100 pages in and it's pretty boring desu. It's so highly regarded that i feel pressure to enjoy it. But kinda am not enjoying it.

Can't be any worse than Gravitys Rainbow. His writing style is fucking obnoxious in this book. Also, i do drugs, but seriously... this book is fucking all over the place lmao

Yeah it gets really good, at one point a character talks for about a hundred pages straight. Truly gripping.

would recommend anthem, its a pretty lightweight novella by her
it pushes pretty damn hard on individualism, which is right up Veeky Forums's alley
i would honestly put fountainhead above atlas shrugged too, but that's a pretty controversial opinion

>Implying I can read

Get that Rand out your system

collectivism is literally the worst
i mean it has good intentions but it really can't be properly implemented before near full automation in the means of production
and also the nation state would most likely have to fall as well

cmon brehs
seeing how the most popular topics are tfwnogf, manlet wars, muh anxiety and /pol/, this book truly suits the majority of Veeky Forums

>selling and buying the Communist manifesto
I love the irony.

reminder being a politicuck is the most un/fit/ thing you can be and neo-tribalism is the only correct path

Fuck off

>trying to filibuster your own book
rand was truly a master of politics

its a book for spoiled cunts with a superiority complex. How does that have anything to do with being Veeky Forums?

>Be disgusting commie
>Browse Veeky Forums as compulsory work
>Forever auschwitz mode because no food in motherland
>We should seize the means of lift and and redistribute gains
>t. a fucking retard

Good post

lmao is anybody easier to bait than /pol/?

inb4 Mediations

Unquestionably essential Veeky Forums literature.

Veeky Forums probably

Meditations*

And yes, that's still the best mindset book.

>you can see his stripes but ya know he's clean
>oh don't you see what I mean?

anything by Henry Rollins

Ayn Rand is a faggot

I would recommend starting with foundational western thought on social and political treatises instead of skipping to basically the end first. I think one would get much more out of these books if they've read
>Plato's Republic
>Aristotles politics
>Marcus's metitations
>Augustine's city of God
>Machiavelli's Prince
>Locke's 2nd treatise
>Hobbes Leviathan
Honestly trying to read Rand or Marx without a deep background in these other books is a bit like a 12 year old talking politics at his parents dinner party. You think some arguments make sense only to have realized they were defeated a long time ago. Likewise, all of the books I've mentioned hold inherent fallacies as well. A good philosopher tries to see truths in their wholeness and varied perspectives are needed to this end

Catcher in the Rye is a great book. Don't talk shit bro.

my diary desu

DIO
I
O

Fuck you

>great
lolmayoooooo

it's some edgy fag teen who has a crush on his little sister or something and has wet dreams about kids in corn fields after he runs away from boarding school.

Henry Rollins is a piece of shit.

>starting from the greeks meme

>Veeky Forums discusses literature

Of high school reads I found of mice and men to be much more provocative
Also I would like to add Voltaire's Candide to my above list. I almost forgot about it.

>don't fuck retards because you'll die
>sometimes you gotta kill retards even if they don't mean to hurt anyone

yeah bruh, good shit.

>Ss for novices is a meme
>Not understanding philosophy is built up just like lifting

It suits weak pussies who are too selfish to see beyond themselves and their own securities. Work on your own problems.

>i would honestly put fountainhead above atlas shrugged too, but that's a pretty controversial opinion
no user, that is the correct opinion.
Atlas Shrugged is so bad that it retroactively diminished my enjoyment of Fountainhead. I guess this is what happens when you get too successful and have people congratulating your every thought. Atlas Shrugged could be alright if you edit it to about half its length.

Reality is subjective, therefore so is philosophy. Talk about a waste of time, there's a reason why it's considered a joke of a degree. 100% conjecture, go learn a language or something worthwhile.

>Reality is subjective

That's all you got out of it? You didn't find the conflict within George at all compelling? Maybe George didn't think Lenny "had" to die but knew the townspeople would Lynch Lenny in a horrific way so it was a better death. Think about too the parallel between realities of farm life and the decision to kill livestock humanely and the action George took. Then there's the scene where the ranch hand explains the fertilized egg with the euphemism of the mark of the rooster. The whole book is about societies relationship to death in general. You had a shit English teacher my man. Also the writing and beauty of the syntax is hard to touch.

Prove it wrong. You can never truly know that another person perceives reality or the world the way you do because you can never actually be that person. It is not an objective experience. Science is the closest we get.

Yeah it's a great book, Steinbeck understood people so well. A lot of people will say it's shit because they had to read it in school.

Ah you proved yourself wrong.
>Science is the closest we get
Science is based on the idea that objectivism, while elusive, is quite real. Every proof of science is proof of objectivism.

An educated, cultured liberal's reality is very different from some gun toting, 80 iq, Veeky Forums browsing, redneck conservative's. This is due to the TV they watch, the books they read, and the news sources they trust.

How do I prove myself wrong? People argue about what is scientifically correct constantly. Every other year eggs are good for you or bad for you. It's an attempt, not a proof. It's grasping for meaning, not meaning in itself.

I'm glad it's taught but I'm sad that's the reaction. I think it's one of the more perfectly written novellas in the English language. The balance between entertainment and depth of thought makes for a great fiction story.

>That's all you got out of it?
I really liked those two specific messages.

the rest really didn't made me think

>people flawed perceptions are proof that reality isn't real

>blind people live in a world where light doesn't exist

Possibly the most banal statement of all time.

For most Americans, they don't read at all.

I think a full 50% hasn't touched a book since high school in the US

I can't imagine, I've read a book at least every month at the very least. Usually a book every week or so. Boggles my mind.

Thats an example of media sensationalizing minor (in terms of science) studies who themselves never claimed those studies to be conclusive. Nobody calls those things scientific proofs. An example of a scientific proof is that gravity exists and acts in a predictable way.

That's enough out of you two. Stop posting or I'll beat you up.

>two

Kek

Science bases itself that it is incomplete and at anytime the entirety of what we think in terms of a subject can change when something new comes to light. Not to mention this argument has nothing to do with my initial point. I said reality is subjective, not reality isn't real. Big difference, and you are essentially building a straw man to fight without actually refuting my initial point.

The fall by camus is pretty good

I liked Shogun

fun read, I think there are sequels.

>Their ideology is different
>Trumpets and hillshills have different ideology
>Donald Trump is, in reality, the President of both just like Obama was for 8 yrs
>No matter how both sides shouted not my President
This type of soft brained logic is what is leading our country to ruination. We constantly use equivocation fallacies or flat out don't understand the words we are using so dumb statements like
> "I'm entitled to my opinion"
And
>"All realities are different are made”
Everybody experiences the same reality through different prisms so they received different experiences not different reality. 100% of the light in a kaleidoscope is made up of the same photons, the cut and tint of the glass cause it to manifest itself differently.

There weren't any sequels but he did make a whole new Asian dynasty series called Taipan

I have to drive all the time for work, been listening to the Wheel of Time series. 4 books in, pretty entertaining desu.

>Essentially constructing a straw man
Well am I or aren't I? I'm not. You said reality is subjective, but scientific proofs prove that there are objective truths within our reality, they are elusive, and in the strictest sense, rare. Just as your statement in the strictest sense
>Reality is subjective.
Leaves no room for these objective truths to live. Therefore a more truthful statement would be
>Reality is subjective and objective
But sense these two words by definition cannot coexist in the same reality due to their self cancelling nature then we must decide between the two. And sense science has proven that objective truths exist, however rare and elusive, the most correct statement would be
>Reality is objective but vast parts of our reality are beyond our complete understanding.
Not
>Reality is subjective.

"How to bomb the u.s. government" by MDE

Anything by Camus
The Supermale by Alfred Jarry

Is it as good?

Stop Masturbating

this is better and also /pol/ approved

I wasn't even the user he started with but he said
>Prove me wrong
And for some reason I find it very difficult to avoid challenges I know can be easily met.

No idea. I liked Shogun a lot though

I liked the television show too

Weighted dips are a meme, prove me wrong

But yet I still know a troll when I see one.

Provocative cover
Gimme a run down.

>But yet

CRAAAAAAWLING IN MY CAPITALISM
THESE STOCKS WON'T DEVALUATE

Ayn Rand is a bitter cunt because of her ugly face

This is what happens when bitter women find an outlet, they become an SJW or an edgy look-at-me-trying-not-to-care

What have you read recently that you liked?

Let me see the last three books I've read
Endymion by Dan Simmons
Confessions of a Yakuza by Junichi Saga (my great grandfather was a bakuto, so I got curious what running a Japanese gambling parlor is like)
The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius. ( this one was a very good book)

Do writefag threads on /d/ count?

>Confessions of a Yakuza by Junichi Saga
can u say more about it
why camus?

The Way of Men and Ride The Tiger.

Actually Veeky Forums approved.

>Dat pic
>Atg BTFO

It's even worth learning German.

But not /POL/ approved as his author was of African descent... Interesting, no?

If you've read this but you don't know your Heidegger, just kysYou're a pleb
>makes strong philosophical claim
>says philosophy is a waste of time

Hm, okay, basically it describes the rise of a Yakuza boss and his gambling group.
He discuses his start with his gang and the life he lead over the years as he rose to become a boss of a gambling group.
He specialized in gambling games, if you ever watch Samurai Champloo with the dice and calling out the number as even or odd, that is basically what he ran. He basically covers his life from the Meiji era to the Showa Era. (1920 to early 1980s for you guys who don't get the emperor year system of Japan)

Confessions of a yakuza sounds nice. I'll put it on the list.
I don't get the Boethius book. This was in wikipedia
>The Consolation of Philosophy has been described as having had the single most important influence on the Christianity of the Middle Ages and early Renaissance and as the last great work of the Classical Period

Is it religious? Why did you like it?

Actually I take back the second one

Why are you people so obsessed? You would spare yourself butthurt by just not using Veeky Forums.

when you "make it" and still aren't happy, give him a try. Read about him before you read him if you need persuading.

You can share them if you think somebody would want to learn about them. I've never read one. Maybe it's good

It's despair in book form.

>Classical thought is pleb meme
Don't finish there just start there, just like you're supposed to progress beyond 5x5. Most people get in way over their heads with philosophy because the people they are reading have foundations in classic thought but they do not.

Atlas Shrugged is pretty try hard, but its still a must read. Catcher in the Rye is good

Boethius book was a look at how a man facing a literal death sentence tried to reason out through his love of wisdom and learning how and why God would allow evil to exist.

The classic question that many Christians have struggled with.
If God is good, then he must not be powerful enough to deal with all the evil and injustice in the world since it is still going on. If he is powerful enough to stop wrongdoing, then he himself must be an evil God since He’s not doing anything about it even though He has the capability. So which is it? Is he a bad God or a God that’s not all powerful?”

He first came to the conclusion, there is no such thing as evil. Only an absence of good and tries to convince himself of that.

But what was really fascinating is how this doomed guy tried to deal his inevitable death (and he died horribly, and he knew it was coming).

>start with the greeks
The hubris of Veeky Forums shits up every book thread on every board. You're worse than /mu/