What's so fucking great about sweet potatoes anyway?

What's so fucking great about sweet potatoes anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/multimedia/health-foods/sls-20076653?s=8
nutritionfacts.org/topics/sweet-potatoes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nothing.

they're a meme

Please delete this.

Carb source packed of micronutrients especially potassium and Vitamin C.

they make good fries

They are like regular potatoes but sweeter. This is great news if you like sweeter things.

Complex carb, tastes great, cheap.

What's not to like?

If you mean vs normal potatoes, it's because less calories and less carbs. Also more fiber and micronutrients cater more toward lifters, if you care about that stuff.

It's also an excuse for hardcore lifters to get something sweet on their plate without feeling bad about calories and such

quality post mang

thank fuck for this poster

DELET

Literally FUCKING NOTHING
1g more of fiber per 100g
1g more of protons per 100g

THAT'S IT

They're the worst meme I've ever witnessed, they taste like shit and are more expensive than regular potatoes.

>400% vitamin A intake for the day
>3g of protein
>130 cal per serving
>Tasty starch
What don't you like again?

They objectively taste worse than regular potatoes.

>>>Implying

>objective
That's literally the definition of subjective, user.

Not arguing for or against this or that, but 3g of protein is a pitiful amount in any source. Sure, it counts at the end of the day, but it's better to pay attention to the big contributors to your protein take if you're not counting every single little thing. If you miss a few hundred grams of sweet potato at the end of the day, your whole world will not unravel. You can either replace it with something way more protein dense (milk, easier to consume and easier broken down digestively, as it's liquid) or do without it completely. The jury is still out to lunch on whether you need 0.8 or 1.0 g of protein per lb for optimal muscle mass gain. Of course, you probably need more protein the more you gain and use (i.e., train) muscle.

Shouldn't you be recording your next My 600lb life episode?

*meant to say something like "will need more g of protein per pound of weight the more you train/gain muscle mass". Of course your exact number will go up if you're gaining mass - you're gaining weight if you're out of the novice gains period. blah blah, you get my point hopefully.

>Eating the healthier sweet potato makes me fat

If I didn't think you were dumb with the whole objectively/subjectively thing, I definitely do now.

>I'd rather ingest something sweet than something normal/salty
Are you American by any chance?

>He doesn't put salt or cayenne on his sweet potato

No wonder you don't like them. Enjoy your butter taters big boy

(OP)
This poster fucking sucks. The guy who wrote it had no clue about what matters in nutrition. Sure Vitamin A is good, but you can get it in a lot of vegetables and meats.

The main difference between regular waxy potatoes and sweet potatoes are:

> 1) GI and GL for sweet potatoes are way lower than for waxy potatoes prepared the same way
Pic related.
For those who don't know much about physyology, GI/GL means how quickly and how much of its carbs are converted into glucose. The quicker its converted, more intense is the insulin peak after its ingestion. Insulin is highly anabolic, meaning that IT WILL CONVERT CARBS INTO FAT, ultimately. That's the reason why you want to eat whole grains, whole everything, bc the GI/GL is MUCH LOWER meaning it will be absorbed by your body way slower, and it'll convert less into fat.

> 2) strongly colored sweet potatoes are rich and oxidants
Antioxidants play a very important role in aging. All the compounds and mechanism is kind of intricated. All in all, the populations who consume most antioxidants live longer. For instance, Okinawan people, whose diet was based on deep purple sweet potatoes, had a life expectancy of over +90y. Sadly, when foreign goods such as other food staples and lots of fat were introduced in its diet, its life expectancy fell A LOT.

Potatoes are fucking carbs, nigga.

> you don't eat potatoes bc it has fiber.
> you dont eat potatoes bc it has proteins.
> if you're eating potatoes bc of its micros then you're damn dumb, bc it has so little and so little bioavalaible.

YOU EAT POTATOES BC IT IS STARCHY AF.

> it gets you filled up
> it's quick energy
> it gets insulin running through your blood, which means ANABOLIC state

That's why sweet potatoes are better than regular ones:
> slower digestion
means you'll feel full for a longer time
> lower GI/GL when prepared correctly
thus, insulin will be running through your body longer and without peaks; meaning anabolic state on par with protein intake, so you build muscle; if the GI/GL is very high, you get in anabolic state too quickly, BEFORE THE PROTEIN IS DIGEST, so you start building pure fat from the carbs you just ate.

Healthy AF bro.

Top 10 health foods according to the Mayo Clinic.

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/multimedia/health-foods/sls-20076653?s=8

Japs in Okinawa also ate a ton of it and they are the OG centenarians.

nutritionfacts.org/topics/sweet-potatoes/

>mayo clinic
>taking advice from a clinic named after one of the most unhealthy foodstuffs
...?

They're like carrots in that they have shitloads of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and can be converted into vitamin A.

Just drop that shit all together, whole-wheat pasta has GI of only 30.

Ment to quote

>GI/GL means how quickly and how much of its carbs are converted into glucose
is that GI divided by GL or do you just mean they both matter?

>do you just mean they both matter?
This. GI is related to how quickly it's absorbed and GL is related to how much of it's absorbed.

They're delicious. Most "fit" ppl eat them because memes tho.

Why is there such a pronounced difference between baking and boiling?

ok thanks, and you want them both to be low right?

I don't know but I can tell you that there's apparently a lot of factors influencing GI, it can for example depend on whether the food in question is eaten hot, cold or even reheated, or pasta can have a lower GI when it's al dente as opposed to cooking it longer

>Insulin is highly anabolic, meaning that IT WILL CONVERT CARBS INTO FAT, ultimately. That's the reason why you want to eat whole grains, whole everything, bc the GI/GL is MUCH LOWER meaning it will be absorbed by your body way slower, and it'll convert less into fat.

I haven't heard so much retarded bullshit in a single post in a long time.

So your meals consist of ONLY potatoes or ONLY whole wheat? Are you aware of the fact that if you add some fat and protein to the meal you dramatically lower the glycemic index? For example, white bread has an glycemic index of ~70, but if you add some fat to the equation and make a tortilla, the glycemic index drops down to 30, how is it even relevant now?

Also, MUH INSULIN = AUTOMATIC FAT STORAGE, no that's not how insulin works you retard, read more

Also, ever heard of the toxins produced in wheat grains, as a defense mechanism of the plant? Meanwhile tubers are hidden under the ground, so they produce very little toxins as there is no need for them.

>The guy who wrote it had no clue about what matters in nutrition.

AS IF YOU DO

Nothing
They taste like shit and are the only thing I don't like about Dixie('sides the niggers)

>cayenne
Enjoy your dead liver when you're 50 Calinigger

I don't know about you but I fucking love sweet taters, one or two fill me up pretty good. I cube them and pan fry them in a skillet.

Also, how do you anons avoid overeating? That is my main problem, how do you deal with serving sizes, I eat like a fucking animal when it comes to portions. Anyway tips?

I make sure everything I eat requires at least a bit of prep, and only prepare one reasonable portion.
This has 2 benefits imo, first portion control is easier since you don't have to think about it with delicious food in front of you, but can make sound judgements before, also no second helpings, second it protects me from absent minded snacking and eating because I'm bored

low glycemic index and high beta carotene content
plus they taste amazing

>Also, how do you anons avoid overeating? That is my main problem, how do you deal with serving sizes, I eat like a fucking animal when it comes to portions. Anyway tips?
I eat stuff I sort of like, but not really, like sweet potatoes. Then I get bored of eating.

Baking breaks the starch down into simple sugars (that's why you see syrup leaking out)

Boiling just makes the starch softer

kys

They're way too sweet, taste weird, full of sugar, expensive, and have no benefit over regular potatoes. You don't need sweet potatoes to get your vitamin A. Less carbs isn't good because it's a fucking carb source that's the whole point of eating them. GI isn't better because nobody boils sweet potatoes. There are a lot better and cheaper food for antioxidants like broccoli and carrots and green tea.

>despite not knowing what I'm talking about, I'm going to post in this thread

>[sweet potatoes] taste like shit

I'm going to have to ask you to delete this.

GI is a meme

stop