Why does everyone on this board shit on Pendlay rows. Are they just a meme? They are recommended on the sticky though

Why does everyone on this board shit on Pendlay rows. Are they just a meme? They are recommended on the sticky though

>that form
>rip spinal discs

Yeah I'm sure Arnold could benefit from your advice.

Where does the "when u round ur lower back a little bit ur whole spine explodes " meme even come from

Because if youre going to go heavy on any type of bent over row, the amount of weight your back can pull is negated by the amount of weight your core can handle. This leads to people putting their lower back in a very vulnerable position and snapping their shit. If youre going to do them, go lighter, otherwise do another exercise thats going to target the back more efficiently.

Notice how he's only doing 95 lbs

That form with real weight will result in pic related

no it won't
his lumbar is neutral, it's just his shoulders rounding (which is what you should do when rowing)

pendlay rows are """"""recommended""""" because a retard known as Medhi included them in his starting strength ripoff routine as a replacement for power cleans

there is nothing wrong with row variants, but doing pendlay rows is a less efficient way to train your upper back than any chest supported row, dumbbell row, or even cable row

your torso basically becomes a cantilever supported by your lower back and core as you pull a weight through space, which is a really poor use of lower back stress

spend that lower back stress on more deadlifting volume instead, not on an upper back accessory

also not that by replacement for powercleans, i mean they go in the same slot powercleans would go

not that they meaningfully train the same muscles or replicate the RFP training benefits of a powerclean

if you want RFP you would be better off doing some plyo or maybe some jumping hex bar deadlifts if you can't/won't clean

What's even the point. I just do the big four.

Me too. Bench press, curls, skull crushers and jump rope.

What if I am a fag and cant do power cleans? What would you recommend?

the big 4 does not meaningfully train all muscle groups

also, until the OHP stops being limited by the front delts and involves as much muscle as the bench press, it's the big 3

are you an athlete training and desire rate of force production increases? plyo work seperate from lifting, speed deadlifts, jumping hex-bar deadlifts would all do this

if you can't do powercleans but don't care about rfp just do a row variant instead, just grab some DBs and go to town

or do pullups

Ultimate back excercise. Most people here are dyels with shit form who can't do them properly

Been going to the gym for years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do pendlays

they are inferior to regular rows though...

Regular rows are much harder on your lower back when you reach heavy weight tho

Would it be fine to replace cleans with some speed deadlifts and then some dumbbell rows?

Same. Not many people do rows here, other than the cable one. Been lifting two years and the only person I've seen do pendlays is myself back when I started. I don't do them anymore because I never really liked them. There's nowhere for you to "go" when it gets hard. With squat, bench, dead and press you can grind reps and give it your all, but with rows you have to give in and let the weight go like a bitch.

>his lumbar is neutral
In neutral position, lumbar spine is in a small scale extension. On pic, Arnold is in full blow flexion.

Are they still good to incorporate as an accessory to deadlifts? i do them because they keep my lower back in flexion and i feel like theyve helped my deads. But if theyre doing more harm than good, ill just stop doing them.

you know what would be a better accessory to deadlift?

something with deadlift in the name

like Romanian Deadlift
Stiff-Leg Deadlift
Deficit Deadlift

etc

if you just want to isolate back throw some hypers in after your deads

because they are terrible for your lower back once you get to heavy weight because of how you do them.