REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>herniated disc
>can't squat or deadlift
What should my alternatives be to hit legs and back really well? I'm afraid there is literally no replacement for squats

Other urls found in this thread:

weightwatchers.com/images/1033/dynamic/GCMSImages/m_cat_cow_stretch_447wide.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How did you do it

leg press, leg curls

I think it is related to an old work related injury where I had tried to catch a 200lb generator and keep it from falling out of a truck. Should have just let that shit go desu. That was a while ago, might have agitated it with a recent car accident. Been lifting last 6 months and had to get an MRI because of the severe numbness and pain in my neck when I squat, deadlift, or sometimes just sitting down desu.

Bulgarian split squats holding dumbells.

Do scooby's rotisserie core workout when your back feels up to it.

In the same boat user, fuck this gay earth.

Are not replacements for squats. You can away without deadlifts, in fact most people do. Not without squats though, you'll never make up for the hip flexors. Nothing is the same or as good.

You can't use a foam pad?

Leg press
Leg curls
Glute Ham raises
Situps

In the same boat, I do dumbbell lunges right now. You probably can't get away with dumbbell squats to any significant extent.

Foam pad?
Everything you just said is stupid and dangerous.

you aren't actually hurt

you are making a thinly veiled squat-hype thread, where you spout dogmatic rippetoe nonsense

I hurt my back pretty badly a couple of years ago and it never fully got better, I can do sets of 315 but after a few of them it feels aggravated

I squat once a week (4 sets) and leg press on another day, seems to at least keep them strong and formidable

Everyone I know who has squatted heavy seems to have inevitably hurt themselves badly, there should be more awareness about how crucial proper form is, even the slightest cheating can fuck you up (I only had moderate buttwink)

Yes, a foam pad. Pussy pad. If you're injured, you can get away with using one. It can disperse the pressure to the shoulders and traps a bit more, meaning less pressure on the spine and MOAR SQUATS
lel

Or at least an understanding that your "power", in terms of what you can move, tends to outpace the rest of your body's structural acclimation to that weight

some tendon, joint, or nerve will inevitably get fucked even if your muscles seem to be able to move big weight easily

You can, by doing them on one leg.

i squatted for 6 years and it finally got me too

was doing an easy set too, 2 reps at 80% (guess the routine if you can)

totally normal rep, when i got to the top i got stabbing pain in my tailbone that prevented me from squatting or deadlifting for a while, still recurs once in a while a few months later

it was the last straw and made me drop squatting altogether

Other things you cannot do without making a slipped disc worse;

OHP
Bent over row
Shrugs
Anything else than involves holding heavy barbell while standing.

Switch to seated dumbbell press with a back support.
Do one arm bent over dumbell rows.
Fuck knows about your traps.

You gotta take this injury seriously or it'll get much worse.

Threads like this scare me and make me want to stop squatting/deadlifting

>Everything you just said is stupid and dangerous.
How is using a foam pad dangerous?

Dude I know who was a pro powerlifter, seriously crazy about his form, posted form lifts every day on insta, finally hurt his back pretty bad on squat

I'm pretty content with sticking at 315 for the rest of my life now, no need to be vain

i'm content not doing the fucking things

i never enjoyed a single rep of squat i did, it fell apart every time i tried to cut (unlike all my other lifts, even my presses), and i didn't make the quad size gains i would have expected after the time i put in

Maybe it's just the Veeky Forums disciple in me that requires at least one squat day a week

leg press works pretty well too though, if you make sure to get some ROM

i've switched to basically push-pull meet type training

i do a fuckload of benching and deadlifting (both of those have always worked well for me and never caused an injury) and i do leg press and other direct quad work

You need to rest until it the impingment is completely gone. total relaxation in whatever position feels most comfortable.

after that, you need to work on your back and core religiously to prevent this from happening again. form is your god and though shalt have no god before him. NO cheat moves, no half reppin, no max weight attempts without textbook perfect form.

Same thing happened to me, I spent 2-3 years walking around like quasimodo until I finally gave in and rested it properly. almost every motion you make outside of machine isolation is going to make it worse until it heals, and then you have to really work on your core to keep the spine stable.

if you go to the doctor, they will offer you a)vicodin unless you're a sketch b) spinal fusion of the lumbar veterbrae.

take the vicodin, watch some TV and relearn all your major lifts when you're better.

I have 3 herniated and prolapsed discs and I can still squat.

You need perfect form, though.

Deadlifts are out of the question.

Honestly if you are that fucking weak, if really you are that disabled why won't you do your body (us and the welfare of the gene pool) a favor and just go ahead and kill yourself :)

that's from stuart mcgill's stuff, right?

for injury prevention should i start doing a ton of core work and hypers?

>All these people on Veeky Forums in their early 20s who think they are invincible

Have fun in snap city boys

I have an L5/S1 hernia and I can do OHP, shrugs, and even deadlifts just fine, but I avoid bent over rows as they make me feel some discomfort around the injury area. Everyone's injury is different, so anyone with a hernia should take their time with light weight and perfect form to discover what works for them.

>injured due to working
>hurr ur week kys

>soldier injured from jumping out of plane
>hurr weak kys

>construction worker injured from collapsing beam
>hurr ur just weak kys

>5 time deployed veteran has injury from IED
>hurr your just weak kys

Yeah, injuries are one thing. If he's still going to the gym, he's doing a shitload than you are sitting in your mother's basement shitposting on an imageboard about the gene pool when your sheltered fat acne infested ass has never been outside a basement in order to get injured to begin with.

they usually offer a discectomy before a fusion, fusion is a last-shot kind of surgery.

thankfully for me, my discectomy seems to have worked ok. there was no obvious acute injury, but it seems to have been posture related from sitting too much. i tried physio for one year but nothing got better and eventually had to have surgery at 21. then afterwards i got addicted to painkillers.

that's my story, op. god speed.

And what said is spot on. If you don't give it a chance to heal you will basically be in pain for the rest of your life, so take time off work if you need to and definitely don't try to lift for at least 6 months. Even gentle rehab exercises exacerbates my symptoms for a few months after the injury, so rest really is key.

He has a herniated fucking disc, a fucking foam pad will not make squatting easier and is in fact the LAST FUCKING THING HE SHOULD BE DOING right now.

You do know what a foam pad is and what a herniated disc are right?

Utter fucking losers that shill SKWATS and powerlifting in every fucking thread.
You guys are the reason that people laugh at powerlifters and bodybuilders and think they're fucking gym addicted fucking retards.

B..BUT YOU AREN'T A REAL MAN UNLESS YOU SQUAT AND DEADLIFT RIPPETOE TOLD ME

>Should have just let that shit go desu.
I too regularly dive after heavy falling equipment and yes, you should have.

>>herniated disc

you ever have like nerves shoot up and down your spine when you do the cat-cow stretch?

pic related:
>weightwatchers.com/images/1033/dynamic/GCMSImages/m_cat_cow_stretch_447wide.jpg

i currently have that but i have no pain at all otherwise.

trying to figure out what's causing it.

I once lunged across my car to save a cupcake from sliding off my passenger seat while braking. Caused me to get in an accident cause my foot came off the brake pedal for half a second and my car needed another inch to fully stop without hitting the car ahead of me.
I wasn't fat though, my sister's made them for school and pulled one out and left it on a plate for me. Still don't know why I dove to save it.

can confirm as well, 1 large protrusion and 1 mid one

It depends on the boss. Some will fire you on the spot for letting expensive equipment get wrecked. Others will be like "I am so fucking happy I don't have to pay this guy's worker's comp."

With some bosses, there isn't a right answer. You save it without injury or you're getting fucked somehow. I'd rather be fired than get injured though, to every extent. It isn't difficult to explain to a new boss that the reason you were let go from your old job is because you didn't want to dive for a piece of 250lb equipment.

Anyone squatting or deadlifting on a regular basis should be doing this after every workout.

>What is reverse hypers

gravity boots master race

>TFW pretty sure i got protruding disc

Can u feel it with your hand? cus i feel something protruding in my back

the answer is not working in manual labour lmao

Never heard of these and they sound amazing. Holy shit.

No, the disk wouldn't be poking out of your spinal column. At least, it shouldn't be. That would be bad.

There are people so fuckin stupid they don't even know how stupid they are.

Kek, then what is it? Any idea?

Like i mean if i feel my lower back i can feel something kinda roundy pushing out more on one side than the other. Idk if it's a herniated disc or what but it seems maybe like a cyst?

Cyst sounds plausible but imo this site isn't the place to ask for medical opinion

>Idk if it's a herniated disc or what but it seems maybe like a cyst?

Probably a cyst. I have one on my lower back.

ok i will see a doctor

>I was ITT earlier today and commenting on my old back injury from a few years ago
>reinjure myself squatting today

I couldn't believe that irony after finally racking the weight and feeling the shooting pain

Well, add me to the nosquat list boys, I am fucking done

>lower back pain starts Sunday evening
>haven't lifted since Thursday
>Monday rolls around and decide that it can't possibly be an injury since I literally sat in the same chair all day Sunday
>go lift anyway
>5x5 squats at 275 lbs
>first rep hurts like a mother
>every other rep is fine
>finish sets, decide to skip cleans
>today
>feels the same as Sunday
>can't bend forward without lots of pain, can bend backward with no pain
So what the fuck did I do to myself, lads?

I have the same thing and I thought it was a muscle strain but I'm not sure.

I know that doing Bill starr's muscle rehab works.

Is this pain a pain the feels like a burning sensation dull? I squatted for the first time 4 months ago and got a Bulged disc do to not having the right form.

In the some boat man, just a note, if your in the acute phase/ couched. Pushing through with a couple mile walk really helps as basic as that sounds.

>Switch to seated dumbbell press with a back support.

i had a herniated/bulged disc in and can tell you: just stop overhead movements completely.. its not worth the risk.. there are a lot of other exercises to train the shoulders

everytime i press something over my head for a few sets my neck hurts the next days..

sucks, but thats the way it is

how do I know if my lower back pain is serious and not just muscle strain?

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

numbness in the lower back/glute area is pretty bad

pain that is radiating from your lower back down your glutes and hamstrings is pretty bad

if its not getting better with time its pretty bad

Did you at least save the cupcake?

>
>I know that doing Bill starr's muscle rehab works.
Have you done it before? I'm thinking of doing it but I don't want make any mistakes

Yes it does work if the injury is applicable.

Is hanging with just your arms on the bar just as good or do I have to have my legs on the bar?

You can temporarily relieve the pain and numbness long enough to squat by hanging upside down. It'll decompress all of your discs and get some blood moving into your spinal area. You can't fix the disc but you can definitely make it better.

Just take up sprinting and/or sprint cycling.
There are plenty of replacements for squats if you don't expect to actually compete in a PL competition or something.

Please never give advice on fitness ever again.

I'm a regular squatter, this is a "shit something in my spine just shifted and I about collapsed mid-squat" pain and "I can barely get out of bed this morning now" pain.

I'm done, got to accept that my frame just isn't conducive to regularly supporting that kind of weight.

We should have a daily /snapgeneral/

My dude, not even kidding i used to use a cane. took me a long time of stretching after my surgery but now after about 5 months of lifting i'm up to 145lb Squat and 155lb Deadlift.

You can do it man, it just takes a while and you have to be wholeheartedly invested in it.

>I have a Herniated disc and 2 Bulging discs, Sciatic nerve damage, and Degenerative disc disease.

Also you gotta learn to do skateboard squats and Squat sumo senpai.

If I have pain but not numbness could it still be a serious spinal injury?