When did you grow out of "SS is a meme" are realized that Rippetoe was right all along?

When did you grow out of "SS is a meme" are realized that Rippetoe was right all along?

Other urls found in this thread:

jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
instagram.com/p/BQE0VedAkvo/?taken-by=startingstrength
youtube.com/watch?v=VMJYhqzEGEg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

around 1 month in, when my compounds were higher than 90% of Veeky Forums

I never trusted that some niggers on the internet were telling me to make an opinion without me even reading ss. Read it. Its great

after I did it for 3 months and got that 3d look on myself thanks to thickness of back, while my strength considerably increased

back when I started the "SS is a meme" meme was not yet around, so naturally I did SS

but after 6 years of lifting I now know the program has some shortcomings and recommending it to everyone regardless of goals is silly

more upper body volume (benching especially) and no power cleans would be good modifications for most people

i never understood why rippetoe suggests doing squats and deadlifts on the same workout which basically train the same groups yet for some reason not bench and ohp which are both for deltoids.

SS is great though but when i recommend it to friends i always tell them to do bench and ohp every workout in addition to deadlifts. once deadlifts get heavy enough i just tell them to go heavy on them once per week and for the other 2 days lower the intensity but still do them.

>fatfuck with 0 accomplishments, who trained retards who also have 0 accomplishments

Man, this sounds like a GREAT person to follow!

I think alternating OHP and bench is a bad idea, bench should be the primary pressing lift and OHP should be treated as accessory work

it will always be limited by the tiny front delts at the expense of training the triceps fully, and it only hits upper chest slightly

the bench press involves a lot more muscle mass and is much better bang for buck (and IME carryover from bench -> OHP is far greater than the other way around, assuming you don't completely stop doing OHP)

This.

Daily remainder how good beginner program should look
jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/

Monday
Hi Bar Squat 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Bench Press 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Deadlift from 3” Blocks 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Chest Supported Rows 4×10-15 Reps
Walking Lunges 2×12 Steps
Pushups 2×10-15 Reps (Weighted If Necessary)
Back Raises 2×10-15 Reps

Wednesday
Front Squat Squat 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Widegrip Bench Press 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Cable Rows 4×10-15 Reps
Leg Press 2×10-15 Reps
DB Incline Bench 2×10-15 Reps
Good Morning 2×10-15 Reps

Friday
Bench Press 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
RDLS 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Lat Pulldowns 4×10-15 Reps
DB Step Ups 2×6 Each Leg
DB Military Press 2×10-15 Reps
Back Raises 2×10-15 Reps

Saturday
Box Squat 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Closegrip Bench 4×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
One Arm DB Rows 4×10-15 Reps
Goblet Squats 2×10-15 Reps
Incline Pushups 2×10-15 Reps (Weighted if Necessary)

Good Mornings 2×10-15 Reps

>train the same groups
Because thinking of training in terms of "muscle groups" is retarded for non-bodybuilders

Different user, can you explain? I'd have thought it'd fatigue those muscles and prevent max gainz on whichever lift comes later.

How can SS be good if the result is you being overweight ?

how can you get overweight if you don't eat enough?

No, do you really think it makes a difference if you fatigue your muscles 100% with one lift vs. 50% with one and 50% with the other?
Yes, you will not be able to lift the same weight on the second lift as you could if you did it first, but the amount of weight doesn't matter. What matters is that you lift more the next time. You go to the gym to build strength, not to demonstrate it.

>implying

when my squat went from 0.5 pl8 to 3 pl8 in 5 months

never managed to get past 2 pl8 before I stopped working out

i have no doubt the juggernaut beginner program is much better for building a base and getting all the GPP and muscle development you need to smoothly transition into intermediate training

that being said, if this was the only thing out there as a beginner routine when i started lifting, i may have never started lifting

the extreme simplicity of SS is really what eased me into lifting and i'm sure it's the same for others

>simplicity of SS
is also a meme

>how to overload and burn out a noob in less than a month routine

good lucking trying to teach a complete beginner all of these lifts with proper form from the very beginning.

>0 accomplishments
He was a succesful powerlifter back in the day. How about yours?

no, it really isn't

3x5 squat
3x5 bench
+minor accessory work

vs

Hi Bar Squat 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Bench Press 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Deadlift from 3” Blocks 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
Chest Supported Rows 4×10-15 Reps
Walking Lunges 2×12 Steps
Pushups 2×10-15 Reps (Weighted If Necessary)
Back Raises 2×10-15 Reps

guess which one looks a lot simpler to a 15 year old with no training experience?

What about back muscles used in OHP? Rhomboids, Traps etc. plus overtraining pecs and anterior delts would result in shoulder imbalances (although OHP doesn't alone solve this)

when I felt for highbar meme than I had to learn new way and Rippetoe lowbar literally bring up my lifts by 10% and never get injured since after

highbar = worst meme

>proper form of rows, lunges, push ups , leg presses, pulldowns

>Hi Bar Squat 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
>Bench Press 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
>Deadlift from 3” Blocks 3×8-12 Reps at 3 RIR
This is almost the same as usual SS day.

>Chest Supported Rows 4×10-15 Reps
>Walking Lunges 2×12 Steps
>Pushups 2×10-15 Reps (Weighted If Necessary)
>Back Raises 2×10-15 Reps
Nothing complicated.

>rows
hello back injuries

>pushups
hello shoulder injury because of elbows flaring out like dyels do when they bench. most people don't know how to do a proper pushup

>leg press
destroyer of knees and lower back when done with improper form

I feel like jtss can be done properly by beginner only with PT beacuse so many fucking quat variations and bench variations than good morning, back rises, deadlift, rdl

>implying that beginner wouldnt injury himself in no time at this program

SS is great beacuse you practise only few lifts, than when you are more advanced you can proceed to variations and that how it should be done

>successful

He was ok but I don't think he was successful, he claims one title from some weird texas event with no record of it to be found.

His best lifts were like 610 squat, 635 deadlift and 395 bench. Equipped.

This.

Well I have surpassed all of Rips best lifts and I still think his squat technique is a fucking meme.

SS is fine, but it's literally just the barebones programs for idiots to give them something they can actually do right.

If you're not retarded you can do a lot more with your programming. Most beginners just don't have the discipline to do more and be consistent though.

instagram.com/p/BQE0VedAkvo/?taken-by=startingstrength

this doesnt look meme to me at all

I just don't like the head down or elbows flared technique at all and I don't like the hip drive cue. Throws me forward and loses a lot of upper back tightness.

I'm definitely an elbows down head forwards guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=VMJYhqzEGEg

Impressive. Get that kid a real coach.

Would that mean my 'real' 5 rep max for the second lift would actually be a lot higher if performed alone than it ever is at the end of every workout?

I guess this kind of makes sense - like, if you're building quads, you're building quads, not just building 'quads when squatting' vs 'quads when deadlifting'. I might still be off base though.

what helped me was imagining trying to bend the bar over your back. that was you are constantly keeping tightness

id say its more a personal preference than must do

>walking
>hello total body injuries

>multiple easy exercises is too hard to teach
>tells beginners to do power cleans
When did you become a professional memer?

Of course beginner can do squats with proper form but can't do MACHINE rows or push ups. Everybody knows that in ARMY CAMPS you learn PROPER TECHNIQUE of push ups with special PUSH UP MACHINE and only after half of a year you start doing BODYWEIGHT PUSH UPS. I personally started to do bodyweight push ups when I was 7, don't know how I'm still alive.
Are you retard?

>Would that mean my 'real' 5 rep max for the second lift would actually be a lot higher if performed alone than it ever is at the end of every workout

Yes. When I switched from doing heavy DL after heavy Squat to doing DL on a separate day, my (5 rep working weight) DL shot up by 20kg or so.

Every time I see an user describe SS without chin-ups. This tells me they never read the book and there opinion is worthless.

nothing complicated to us, but to a rank beginner having to locate blocks or substitute block pulls with rack pulls from the same position may be a deal breaker

try to put yourself back to when you first touched a barbell and imagine having to immediately set up for block pulls, and what a shitshow that would have been

yes, leg press is very dangerous and technically complex, as opposed to an uncomplicated and perfectly safe movement like a squat, where you put 300-400lbs on top of your spinal column where it can move with 6 degrees of freedom if you fuck up

all training carries some risk

the OP didn't list sets or reps, and chins do nothing to address low bench press/general pressing volume

you can fuck up your knees by simply placing your feet wrong on leg press. that can't happen in squat

sure it can

When I started looking at the strength results of SS, rather than the aesthetics of those who did it.

I dunno I decided I wanted to make gains instead of being dyel forever so I didn't fuck around with SS

Same honestly. Only when i dropped a bro split and read the book did i realize that SS was a gains train. Im gonna do an SS transformation post to blow the dyels out in 2 mo ths.

aren't you that guy that looks like some dyel shitstain that did bodyweight for 1 year?

Needs abs work, and some isolation for less worked muscles.

>bench should be the primary pressing lift
lol dyel

aren't u the guy who looks like he's never been in a gym in his life before?

i don't have to waste my time working out multiple hours every day just to have sex. i can go to any club and leave with a girl in 15 min because i was gifted by a big meat stick.

no matter how much you work out you will still be stuck with your pathetic pencil dick

2 months ago. Tried PPL and a brosplit, for a few months each over the course of 9 months. Lifts went up maybe 50lbs and I looked a little better. 2 months of SS lifts are up 100lbs or more across the board and I look way better, haven't even gained noticeable fat eating +1000.

Is this a bad routine? My lifts are below too. I might switch to SS. Been doing this PPL for about 3 months now

>Squat 205 x 5
>OHP 105 x 3
>Bench 155 x 5
>Deadlift 315 x 1

PPL

>Bench, cable flies
>OHP, lat raises
>3-4 tricep exercises

Pull
>Chin ups, lat pulldown
>Rows, machine rows
>Deadlift every 2 weeks
>Abs

Legs
>Squat, leg press
>Hamstring curls
>Calf raises

You tell me, you've done that for 3 months, what are the results?

What is jttsstrength (who was this written by)? Site doesn't seem to be working.

>lifting for girls man

Man U sure are a cuck

>not lifting because you wanna get so huge that people look at you and think wtf

>not wanting to be huge girls don't even want u anymore

I would reverse that and say OHP should be the primary pressing lift and bench should be treated as accessory lol

Yes, but on the other hand you will never snatch 3pl8 which means that you are no man at all

What's the better alternative? Brosplit?

Compounds are fun, Veeky Forums often seems to think they make you fat or unaesthetic which makes no sense

Problem is that compounds do not allow you to build a physique that is pleasing to the eye

You need to isolate your arms, lats, delta, get a nice V shape.

Strength training will leave you looking like a box

The other problem is that strength training doesn't have enough volume for optimal growth.

You cannot damage the muscle fibers badly enough to cause them to rapidly grow just doing 9 sets every other day, it's not good enough.

The guys that look good are in the gym every other day, for hour (s).

In my gym I see guys that look good and they are always in the gym, hours each day.

I always see them in the gym

It makes a lot of sense, more volume, more gains

A. that is not Top Cat
2. fuck off