Is SL 5x5 a good routine?

Is SL 5x5 a good routine?

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/5x5/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you're a beginner it'll work just fine

for 8 weeks or so

dont do it for too long like I did, I switched to an intermediate program a week ago after doing sl for 5 months and i am making huge improvements

Not op but when do you know when to move onto an intermediate program? I have been doing sl and currently 137.5kg squat, 155kg deadlift, 67.5 ohp, 87.5kg row and 100 kg bench. I also weigh about 100-105kg and am 6'3

you are ready to move on, you are way past intermediate now

Daily reminder that literally no lifting programs have been studied in rigorous scientific manner, and all evidence of their efficacy is anecdotal.

OTOH basic fundamentals such as frequency, rep ranges, etc. HAVE had peer-reviewed research conducted. The common lifts are also well understood in terms of biomechanics, i.e. which muscles receive which amounts of loads during various phases of a given lift.

Conclusion: there is no strong evidence that a particular program has any appreciable objective advantage over another; simply do the lifts that engage the muscles you wish to target, at rep ranges, frequency, and load such that you are causing an adaptive change to the muscles and underlying connective tissue and bone.

This basically.
Caveat here is that beginners can do almost anything and make progress as long as it's consistent and isn't totally bumfuck retarded, and none of the beginner programs touted here are that bad.
Basically OP as long as you don't do something you made yourself and don't do some kind of dumb budybuilding dot cum dumbassery you'll be good.

A good routine would be one where it gets you going to the gym and doing exercise.

If you're a beginner doing 5x5 for 3 exercises a day should be piss and you will start to enjoy it.

You should follow SL for a couple of months until you feel you've gained enough strength and want to start pursuing your goal.

What should i go onto?

>one week
>huge improvements

Not op but I only have dumbbells and gym isn't an option since I live in the middle of nowhere. Can I make progress with just dumbbells or follow SL closely with just dumbbells, maybe replace a few lifts with others to better accommodate my lack of barbell?

>as long as you don't do something you made yourself

There's nothing inherently different about a program created by a person who has only been lifting a while and a person who has been lifting a long time, assuming the former actually understands the principles that I mentioned.

The difference between something like SL or SS and random-guy's-shit-he-does-in-his-basement is that the number of people attempting the former programs are much higher than those attempting the latter (n=1)...however, there is no evidence that these programs have more efficacy than RGSHDIHB given that they have not been studied in comparison. They may in fact be more effective, but the point is that we don't know. Focus on what we DO know.

There's a decent amount of evidence that periodisation is important in training.

GSLP deals with deloading better due to amrap sets allowing you to hit volume PRs even if you need to drop intensity. SL can leave beginners spinning their wheels if they stall early on upper body lifts

PPL

That falls under "etc"

do whatever u wanna do with ur life man

I Just started doing SL this week to help me retain muscles while I try to lose weight (255lbs), I thought you could do the same program for at least a few months, Was I wrong all along? Since I'm just trying to keep muscle not gain that much strenght nor size, Can I keep doing it for as long as I need to lose weight?

As a rule of thumb, you’ll usually have to switch once you squat between 100kg and 140kg (220lb and 300lb).

Even if I keep progressing on the squat, after 140kg for example?

You’ll know when it’s time to switch to a more advanced training program when you’re no longer able to add 2.5kg/5lb each workout. If you keep progressing you can stick to SL. I just gave a rough estimate when most people have to switch though. The better your form, the better your sleep, the better your nutrition, the more consistent you are, the bigger you are, the further you can take SL.

Read more stronglifts.com/5x5/

Why post something so goddamn fucking useless?

Fuck you for your useless post

ppl - natty
phat - roids
u/l - tight schedule

I went onto madcow because I couldn't be fucked doing Olympic lifts

if i start stalling on squat can i just reduce it from 5x5 to 3x5 ?