General Religion Thread

/x/ is full of schizos so I'm going to try this out on Veeky Forums

Welcome to thread where we discuss our personal faiths as well as discussing any other system of belief that we find interesting.

-Religious texts and such- Feel free to post links to texts you would like to see in the OP. I will try to include them in the next thread.

Hinduism (mainly vaishnava)
vedabase.com/en/bg Bhagavad Gita
vedabase.com/en/sb Srimad Bhagavatam
vedabase.com/en/iso Isopanishad

Christianity (I don't personally know many Christian texts so any new links are appreciated)
bible.com/bible Bible KJV

Islam
quran.com/?local=en Koran

For this first thread lets keep it simple and discuss why and how we have each come to our own understanding of religion.

I started my life in a Christian household but never actually had any strong religious convictions or faith. I first read the Gita when I was 18 years old and have since then gone on to read the Srimad Bhagavatam. I haven't taken initiation yet and I'm having trouble with vegetarianism. How has your religious life changed throughout your life. Atheists are also encouraged to answer and participate.

Other urls found in this thread:

earlychristianwritings.com/
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
tenzinpeljor.de/PDF/Twenty-Seven-Verses-On-Mind-Training.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

earlychristianwritings.com/ Early Christian Writings in chronological order of when scholars believe they were written. Gnostic / heretical texts included.

Did you have some kind of experience that led you to that faith, or did you decide to change religion using your own judgement?

Also, I'm a unitarian Christian. Went through many stages of religiosity starting with me being an atheist Nietzschean, then becoming pagan, then Catholic, then had a bit of a fallout and toyed around with Buddhism for a while, then came back to Baptist Christianity, and just relatively recently stopped attending my Baptist Church because of doctrinal issues, namely the trinity and how it's false.

a combination of Hellenic Paganism and Spiritual Daoism is the correct answer

While reading the Gita I found that much of my beliefs were present in the faith. From a young age I viewed the soul and consciousness in the same way as vaishnavas do and I had always believed in a God. I had just never given it much real thought and never felt close to Christianity. What about your own faith or lack thereof?

I was raised in Vodun

I guess I’m culturally “Catholic” masking African paganism

Posted before I saw your next post

>a combination of Hellenic Paganism and Spiritual Daoism is the correct answer
Why do you say that?

>What about your own faith or lack thereof
I'm still unsure what to believe, sorry I can't answer your question.
That wasn't me.

Both. I had an experience and started to take Catholic teaching seriously. But I wasn't still sure and I had a lot of questions, and still do. It took months of ups and downs in my faith and lot of critical thinking that might border on blasphemy, but it was worth it. My spiritual journey will never be finished, but it's fine like that.

Do you feel more connected with your Catholic or African beliefs? What elements of African paganism have incorporated into traditional Catholicism? Is it at all similar to the incorporation of the Dia de Los meurtos in Mexico?

Why do you think the trinity is false?

>I'm still unsure
Don't apologize for this, it's something everyone experiences. I would suggest reading the major religious texts of any religion that seems interesting to you. Even if you don't find God you will still have new knowledge from many differing cultures. I personally suggest you try the Gita. I'll admit to some bias in that suggestion but it's also very short compared to most other works. You could read it in a day or two provided you don't get hung up on all the various commentaries available.

>my spiritual journey will never be finished, but it's fine like that
This is a very wise viewpoint I wish was more popular. I hope your search for the ultimate truth is fruitful and fulfilling.

Thank You for your contribution to the thread.

Also if anyone has any general suggestions for the OP let me know. I'm not the most eloquent writer but I wanted to discuss things on a board where someone won't claim to be god.

Thank you.

out of honest curiosity

which cults/religions have a lot of orgies?

Shaktism branch of Hinduism.

Because Jesus is not God. Jesus prayed to God and said "let thy will be done", he said things like "our God", "my God and your God", "why do you call me good? only your father in heaven is good", etc. He also affirmed the Shema Yisrael as the most important commandment "Hear O Israel, Yahweh is our God, Yahweh is one." Literally affirmed a monotheistic creed as the most important commandment for people to follow. Also I don't see any proof that early Christians believed in the trinity. Paul definitely did not, in my opinion. He stated more than once, "We have one God and one Lord." making a clear distinction between Yahweh (his God), and Yahweh's messiah Jesus (his Lord).

>Feel free to post links to texts you would like to see in the OP. I will try to include them in the next thread.
Muh library of course:
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

Born muslim.
Flirted with atheism due to probably having travelled at a young age.
Socializing in western countrys gave me a full self represented body of christianity that wasnt available in the muslim world.
The parrallels were astounding.
To the point where any serious criticism of christianity could equally be applied to islam.
Eventually began looking into other religions since by that point the abrahamic model for god seemed retarded.
Buddhists are interesting though difficult to understand or relate to a personality that doesnt really exist.
Mahayana makes it more relatable but dies so by mixing it with traditional beliefs.
Which got me thinking about pagan religions and how they began forming in the first place.
Any how i'd say im a full blown atheist now with a passing interest in bahaiism

Excelent blogs my dudes! Where do I subscribe? Shittiest thread right now

started as a stoic atheist. now I love tantric buddhism and through that oddly, catholicism makes sense now too.

here is a text I really like. its probably too specific but maybe someone enjoys reading it too:tenzinpeljor.de/PDF/Twenty-Seven-Verses-On-Mind-Training.pdf

>He also affirmed the Shema Yisrael as the most important commandment "Hear O Israel, Yahweh is our God, Yahweh is one." Literally affirmed a monotheistic creed as the most important commandment for people to follow.
However, if the Messiah is also God then there's no contradiction between telling people that and holding to the Trinity.
>Paul definitely did not, in my opinion. He stated more than once, "We have one God and one Lord." making a clear distinction between Yahweh (his God), and Yahweh's messiah Jesus (his Lord).
God is referred to throughout the Old Testament countless times as "the Lord God" or "the Lord your God" or some other variant.