Is a belt necessary?

is a belt necessary?

I started SS two months ago, slowly moving my weights up, my deadlifts went from 50 KG to 95 KG and I have never felt the need to wear a belt.

I have tried dead lifting with a belt and the only difference was that it made me feel like the weight was easier to handle, but other than that nothing else.

I don't like wearing a belt, because I won't have the belt around when I lift heavy shit in the real world, so why use it at the gym? I generally don't like the feeling of wearing it either, I feel like it's not natural at all and generally an unaesthetic way of dead lifting.

>is a belt necessary
no

>I started SS two months ago
you're nowhere near belt levels

>I don't like wearing a belt
then don't

>I feel like it's not natural
neither is injecting creatine in to your dick and lifting circle above your head

>unaesthetic way of dead lifting
lol

a good rule of thumb for most males is no belt under 4pl8

You are nowhere near belt level you fucking newbie

>person who deadlifts 95kg trying to pretend that """""his""""" opinion counts

>is a belt necessary?

not when you're lifting baby weights you fucking faggot

How much does a person have to deadlift for you to respect them?

honest question

guys I don't give a fuck if you think my weights are baby weights, progress is what counts, and what is NOT heavy for you, might be heavy for someone else, depending on how long they've been lifting for. God some of you people are fucking retarded.

a person doesn't have to deadlift at all for me to respect them

for me to give the slightest notice to their opinion on deadlifting? 2x BW probably. Or more than I do

>waaah waaah why can't I sit at the grownups table
make your progress but don't act like an authority when you haven't done shit

its not necessary, but its beneficial. a belt gives your abs something to "push" against, meaning you get better core activation. people say wearing a belt weakens the core because it does less work, but thats actually the complete opposite of the truth. you will progress faster with a belt than without

if your worried about lifting things without a belt in real life then do your warmups without and working sets with the belt. youre never going to have to lift 200+kg in real life anyway, so it doesnt matter really

most people dont like how it feels at first either, you just have to get used to it t b h

dont listen to these people, theyre retarded

sure but realize that with two months of lifting and 95kg deadlift your opinion does not matter

>tfw found out my shitty grip plates aren't high enough off the floor
No wonder I've been needing a belt.

what opinion? did you even read what I wrote? I only expressed my experience with deadlifts so far. I didn't say anything about what YOU should be doing.

thanks for your input, finally someone who isn't having a panic attack.

515 deadlift at 190 here

just came in to say OP is a faggot

>j-j-just my opinion you meanies
>accuses others of having panic attacks
top zozzle

belts are stealing gainz unnecessarily and are a sign of heresy.
the only acceptable enhancements are straps when you lift unhuman weights

Hi leddit

its okay op. the other people itt are noobs who've only been lifting a couple of months longer than you and want to feel superior. no one with actual experience would shit on someone else for asking a question

I'm lifting a bit more than you OP, my three last sets are 3/2/1 in my programing and only on those I use the belt. It does much more for me on low bar squat than on deadlift tho.

Anyone introducing some bullshit rules about when one is ''''''allowed'''''' to use belt is a fucking inbred. It's supposted to protect you from hernia, not give you +50kg on your maxes. Use it all the time if you like, but I like to save that feeling of additional tightness for when I'm pulling the max.

If you can't keep your back straight under the weight, you won't keep it straight with the belt. Same people criticising belts criticise chalk because it's ''''cheating''''

guess again

memes aside, this is correct

there's no weight where you should/need to/shouldn't wear a belt

it's just a training tool, it lets you get stronger faster by improving your bracing

anything over 315 for deadlift I belt up (515 max) just to get comfy before i hit my main sets

most people will get a lot more out of a belt for squat than deadlift

better question is why wouldn't you use a belt and knee protection for your heaviest work sets? because it makes you look stupid and a try hard? kek. who gives a shit what others think

those are some nice doggos lad :)

> is a belt necessary
no

> I don't like wearing a belt
so don't

> I don't like the feeling of wearing a belt
so don't

> I feel like it's not natural
SO DON'T

> unaesthetic way of deadlifting
wew lad

all memes aside, and have it right

I personally only belt for >90% of my max for working sets and on my last warmup set before I run working sets I'm belting for

there's no set-in-stone "YOU MUST WEAR A BELT WHEN YOU HIT THIS WEIGHT HURRR" rule. I know plenty of people that pull 4pl8 beltless

however you don't want to be that guy belting, chalking, and wearing knee and elbow sleeves to pull 80kg. That's just overkill

> YYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
> XD

Thanks op. I literally lifted 90kg my first day the other day. Doing 95 tomorrow. Never lifted in my life. Gg man, gg.

>tfw only deadlifting 110kg 5 months into SS

>is a belt necessary

so a lot of people are giving you shit in this thread, and at first my reaction was "well that's stupid, the guy just asked a question." Then I thought more about it and came to the same conclusion that they came to. You already know if a belt is necessary or not. You could even google it if by some tragedy you didn't have the mental ability to deduce whether it is required to wear a lifting belt. So this whole thread is a waste.

Great Job!

Yeah, stop wasting important space by asking fitness related questions on a fitness board, we have BRAAAP and sips threads to get back to!

fucking retard

It looks like a laughing face with sunglasses from the thumbnail

Clarence doesn't use a belt
Jujimufu doesn't use a belt
To answer your question, belt can't be necessary.
Will it be useful? Most likely yes. And belts are cheap as chips used.

>a belt gives your abs something to "push" against, meaning you get better core activation. people say wearing a belt weakens the core because it does less work, but thats actually the complete opposite of the truth. you will progress faster with a belt than without

Complete and utter broscience. Please stop propagating this.

Pushing your abs against a belt takes abdominal transversus out of the equation. Using a belt impedes the deep abdominal breathing necessary for absolute strength development and doesn't allow the inner muscles to do their job.

>I lift XXX amount of weight, should I belt up
Not really

>the "natural" argument/REAL WORLD STRENGTH
You are not going to lift anything heavier than 3 plates in your "real life". This is real life mofo.

>implying you lift anything close to gym weights in "REAL LIFE"

Lifting weights is not natural. Your clothes aren't natural. Why would you lift anything other than logs and stones? fucking noobs man, I swear....

this

The belt is just there to give your abs a physical cue to contract harder and stabilise your spine better. That in turn lets you lift heavier more safely.

If you use a belt correctly, you'll get stronger than you would not using a belt. It doesn't cause weakness at all.

Pushing your abs against the belt causes your back to round and risks injury. It's thus precisely the wrong way to use it as you're ensuring what it's designed to stop.

youre wrong

I kind of see what you mean. I use the "pushing" into your belt cue and teach others how to use it. but I can see how a beginner could misconstrue. Id never really given it a second thought as bracing is second nature at this point

Only correct response.

I have never used a belt.
My deadlift is at 265kg for one rep now. At 86kg bw.
It isn't necessary.
And it CERTAINLY isn't necessary if you're looking for a form fix or a way to avoid injury. Belts are not a crutch and if you use them as so, you're gonna fuck your shit up.

I actually heard a guy refer to a belt in my gym, as a "back brace" a couple of weeks ago. Fucker will need a real back brace with that attitude soon enough.

Sorry wasn't meant to reply to you

I think youre a genetic outlier t b h. And you could progress even further/faster if you started using a belt.

is this you tho ?. if it is then you dont really have much experience with belt and what they do/dont do

its cool to see someone actually post their lifts to prove theyre not actually a dyel 16 year old tho

how long have you be training out of curiosity?

I'm the guy in the vid.
Not the guy who posted the other one you linked no.

I don't doubt belts help lift more weight.
I may use one, one day, if I can be bothered buying one and learning to use it.

I've been training almost 5 years. My stats and progress overall isn't remarkable, I just have really good proportions for deadlifting.

not remarkable, but good for someone whos never trained with a belt. by genetic outlier I meant more along the lines of resilience to injuries and such. like how some powerlifter lift with rounded backs, but their bodies just seem to cope with the stress

I dont want to tell you how to lift or anything. I just dont like a lot of anti belt propaganda I see t b h

There's some evidence that consistent roundback deadlifting eventually confers a fair amount of resistance to flexion injuries.

The problem is you have to last long enough for that to develop and you're really vulnerable at that point.

who's tits are these?

Never used a belt and developed an umbilical hernia at 3plate squat and 4plate diddly.
It's a good idea to use one. Don't listen to fags who say its just for pussys. I haven't been able to life for the last six months because of the hernia and i have another three months to recover from the surgery.
So ask yourself; would you rather have some anonymous dyel strangers call you a pussy or be forced to stop lifting for nine months?

nice pull, mirin

>who is tits are these

I love her

>her
who??? name???

>supposedly doing SS
>asks questions that are answered in the book
shiggy

read the book you dumb fuck