Are results a good indicator of your lifting/dieting knowledge?

Are results a good indicator of your lifting/dieting knowledge?

I've only been lifting for around 2 years but I consider myself well above average in terms of musclemass and lifts where as my best friend has been lifting for a solid 5 years longer than me but still looks DYEL as fuck.

He always corrects me on shit and and we get into discussions about lifting almost daily. Someone will hit me up for advice on lifting and I'll give it to them then this guy will pop in and say the opposite. It's extremely tempting to throw back that what I said has clearly gotten far better results.

But could it just be shit like genetics and the fact that I'm naturally much higher test? Could his technique and knowledge be flawless but I just happen to have a better body because I have better genes?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_the_bench_press_world_record
strengtheory.com/genetics-and-strength-training-just-different/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what advice do you give and what advice does he give?

is that you in the pic?

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest on here just stick to the question.

Well it's very important to the actual question.

But in general I'd say not really, looks are an ok indicator but far from the best and rarely proportionate to your knowledge.

If he is DYEL after 5 years then either he doesn't know shit or has the worst discipline in sticking to a diet/regiment. I'd bet it's probably both.

Either way if you're DYEL in general and especially after 5 years you don't get to shit on someone much bigger than you and he should know that.

>>>r/fitness

Go home now.

jesus fucking christ the muscle proportions in that pic seem retarded
I'm guessing he's under 5'7" or something

they kind of are, but not to the end

first of all, people on roids should never be considered a credible source of lifting knowledge. they can do very stupid shit and still grow - instead of attributing their progress to roids they will attribute it to their magic techniques

If we talk about natties only - if a person has nothing to show, then propably his knowledge is shit. But judging only on size can be a bad idea - there are people who look dyel yet are pretty strong, have good endurance, mobility or something else. Mass isnt the only indicator of fitness and gym knowledge.

Not really, at least not with a sample size of one. Coaching is a different story.

Much as people don't like to admit it, genetics fucking matter a lot. So does effort, consistency and time. Knowledge is running a distant fourth to those.

nigga if you aren't benching over 400 lbs then 'genetics' isn't your issue. that only matters at the top end and that's far far from DYEL. the strong people who look 'bad' are one cut away from chadmode body

>benching over 400lbs
vids of your natty ass benching 400lbs please

hell, can be anybody ass. After 2plaet the progress slows down dramaticaly, you should know that if you ever worked out

I'm clicking it but it doesn't link me to Reddit? What do you mean?

It matters at pretty much every level (someone who won the genetic lottery on a lift might only need half or less of the usual muscle mass to move a given weight, just based on attachments and limb lengths). It's just you can compensate for it to an extent outside of the top levels.

How long you've been lifting has no real bearing on whether or not you know your ass from a hole in the ground. At any given gym, there are lots of dudes there that have "worked out" for a very long time. Most of them are weak, look like shit, and don't really know anything about nutrition or weight training.

Results are slightly more indicative of knowledge, but not by much. Also at any given gym, there are moderately jacked/strong dudes that don't know shit about diet or strength training. They get results by busting their asses.

The most important thing in making progress is working really fucking hard. You can do dumb shit, have a stupid diet, have poor form, a stupid program, etc, and still get really strong if you just work hard. Doing dumb shit consistently and with intensity will give you infinitely more gains than doing smart inconsistently and with the fervor of a used condom.

Your friend is weak and looks like shit because he doesn't try hard enough.

world record is over 700 lbs. put in the work and you can get to 400. your ass being lazy isn't 'genetics'
you don't need to break world records to look decent. that's on you, not your genes

>put in the needle and you can get to 400. your ass being lazy isn't 'genetics'

here, fixed that for you

What are your lifts, what are your friend's lifts and can you give us examples of the advice the two of you give?

Both...genetics play a role, but if your diet is shit you will go no where. I put on mass hard over 2 years and "caught up" to the same physique as one of my friends whos been lifitng since he was 17. He eats pretty much like shit but just has been lifting for a while.

So..its both?

By a 400lb man on grams of gear. Most elite lifters aren't going to see much more than 400 unless they're huge, roided up or both.

you think the multitude of people who recorded over 600 lbs in competition where they are tested for drugs were all on roids. dont be a fucking liberal

There's very, very few people who've benched over 600 raw and tested. Even fewer who didn't get popped later.

I really dont know if you are this delusional or are you just trying to be motivational.

It's not relevant, look at the principles of what I'm asking, they can be any two people, I'm asking if it's a valid retort that my advice is better because I've gotten far better results from it.

lol ok boys keep thinking your 2 pl8 bench is max human potential. meanwhile people who arent little pussy bitches are making gains

It's not.

Your advice might actually be better. But equally it might not be. Plenty of people have gotten a long way by believing complete bullshit and overcoming it with enough other stuff. And there's some variability between people as well, so even if it is better for you there's no guarantee it'll work better for him.

If you know a multitude of 600+ tested raw benchers, surely you can name at least four or five?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_the_bench_press_world_record
these are only the people setting the records and not those coming 2nd, 3rd, etc

another variable people don't take into account is age. usually an older person is more knowledgable on lifting. why? because he's older. a fucking 19 year old kid knows jack shit.

Benching 600 raw means you are a big motherfucker. Those guys never had a point in their adult lives where anybody would call them small, regardless of drug use.

>resolutioners in my Veeky Forums

the fuck is your point? considering the logarithmic nature of lifts if people are doing 600+ any man who isn't a midget can get to 400 if he puts in the work instead of crying about muh geneticz like a fat tumbl whale

Almost none of those guys are tested lifters (and several are quite open about their usage) The IPF didn't start doing proper testing in the US until 97. None of the other feds listed are drug tested.

242 600 Rock Lewis USA 2007 100%
275 617 Lazlo Meszaros Hungry2009 AWPC
308 633 Steve Wong USA 11/18/02 WABDL
SHW 710 James Henderson USA 1997 USPF

I've never met an older person that was knowledgeable about lifting that wasn't either a coach or competitive lifter. Random old people in the gym live off of whatever broscience they happened to hear in the gym in 1970s. Like, "drink plenty of juice for vitamins", and "do lots of reps with light weight to tone up" sort of retardation.

Typically young people will at least google shit and stumble across decent beginner resources for form and basic strength training.

a midget would actually have an easier time, fuckface

>resolutioner
I've been here for years on occasion m8
I'm just saying those arms and those pecs don't match pham

It's genetic. Most people here are delusion or just meming, but your progress in building muscle is primarily determined by genetics. You can definitely maximize your potential by making sure your routine and diet are optimal, but in the end, it's your genes which are the bigger factor. Sure, someone on roids will gain more than a natty, but peoples' response to roids also has a huge range of variation based on, you guessed it, genetics.

The popular claim that genetics don't matter is a blatant lie which is propagated by many industries: supplement companies, the "self-improvement" industry, personal trainers, and so on. These influential companies have a lot to lose if people realize that it's not hard work or dedication or Celltech or frame of mind that's making people successful in fitness, that it's really just drugs and genetics. That is why most people involved in those subcultures have been fooled by them and continually parrot the falsity that genetics don't matter or only matter a bit. Science says otherwise. There have been a multitude of studies which have linked muscle mass and the effectiveness of resistance training to hormones and genetic factors. Any serious scientist would laugh in your face if you preached to them this feel-good bullshit about "busting your ass, brah".

USPF and AWPC aren't tested. They're both basically honour-system. WABDL is technically tested, but varies wildly as fuck (Tiny god damn Meeker managed to lift there without getting popped and he's done more shit than half of Westside).

Midgets lift a lot for their body weight. They will never be able to compare to large men in absolute numbers.

>Kirill Sarychev: 6' 6"
>Eric Spoto: 5' 10"
>Scot Mendelson: 6' 1"
>James Henderson: 6' 5"
>Dough Fucking Young: 5' 11"

I'm not sure there's ever been a raw bench over 600 done by somebody shorter than 5' 8".

Fucking this

Lanklet Jelly of Manlet Strength: The Post

You are incorrect. These are world records in tested meets. Many Feds have tested and untested. Stop moving the fucking goalposts.

I've competed in AWPC. The sum total of drug testing was a checkbox on the entry form saying "I am not using anything on the banlist". Which is part of why WPC has some of the ugliest internal shitfighting over who is and isn't using.

I'm just posting bait because roid haters keep moving the goalposts in this thread. People who competitively bench probably take drugs at some point. Guys who casually bench 500+ at a commercial gym who are lifetime nattys don't provide evidence of said lift. So it's pretty hard to meet the criteria that keeps being adjusted in this thread.

Did you set a world record? Because if you had, they would've tested you. WPC doesn't have a gear inspection but if you try to wear illegal shit they no go your lift. But you would know that too, right?

They're clearly doing a shit job of it then, considering they gave Wolfe a tested record.

unfortunately, this

strengtheory.com/genetics-and-strength-training-just-different/

some people don't even experience noob gains

Holy shit dude, which federation do you believe has the strictest drug test policy? Motherfuckers in professional sports and the olympics get away with shit all the time, and powerlifting isn't quite on that level if you know what I mean. nobody wants to watch natural athletes, it's boring as fuck.

You've never actually seen adult natural athletes before. Not ever.
No I'm not kidding you.
You can't even think of a single solitary one or google one right now.

Certainly not in contact sports, but I bet even pro tennis players are blood doping or something. Pro chess masters taking adderall, golfers getting lasik, you name it.

thats not true my bench has gone from 185x1 when I started lifting 7 mounths ago to 315x3.