Walking onto my DI school's football team

Any anons done this? I've heard that as long as you're decently athletic and have some physical gifts (size, speed, hands, etc) they'll let you on the practice squad. Is that true?

D1 football, in the US?

Fuck no. I inferred from your post that you've never been on a football team, D1 is serious business. Just join a club.

Yeah, most teams will let you join as long as you want to play one of the positions that doesn't require any skill or athleticism, like a lineman.

One of my friends did this, basically you have to just dedicate your entire life to it for about a year, maybe less if you were good at football in highschool. That means, having an easy major, not having a social life, working out really hard every day in the right facilities, eating the right foods, doing the right exercises. Being extremely rich also helps because then you don't have to worry about a job and you can eat really well. All that, and then you're a 4th string punching bag, you'll never play, and you have to continue to be just as dedicated, usually even more dedicated because you now have team responsibilities like film watching and actual football practice. My friend that did it is a business major that is going to inherit his dad's million dollar real estate business, so he didn't have to worry about anything but football.

But if you didn't play football in highschool, then there's no way you're gonna make it, cause it's too late to learn. You can be Hafthor Bjornsson, but you'll get stood the fuck up and knocked on your ass by a 200lb white kid if you don't know proper form.

I was talking to my uncle (who did walk on to a DI team) about it. He said it's not extremely difficult to get on the practice squad, but that most walkons quit because it's rough putting in the same amount of time and effort as everyone else with the very real possibility that you'll never get off the practice squad or will get at most a handful of snaps your senior year. I was just wondering if any anons had done it and what their experiences were.

D1? lmao good luck.

To continue, if you don't have the genetics, you usually just don't have the genetics. I know a kid on my university football team, he's 6'5" 240lbs, and runs a 4.5 40-yard dash. You can't learn that shit, you're born with it.

What school

Eh if football doesn't go too well try out college rugby instead. You'll have a lot more fun actually being able to play the game and assuming you're not fat/shit at it you'll be on the starting squad in a few semesters max.

What position do you want to play ?
What is your size ?
How fast are you ?
DId you play HS football and if so how did that go?

>TE
>6'7 225
>no idea
>no, I played lacrosse and basketball (school didn't have a football team)

You should try and make the basketball team. 6'7" is too tall for tight end without experience, and you're about 100lbs shy of being a good lineman. Doesn't matter how big you are, you do not know how to play football, and that's something you learn with in-game experience.

6'7" 225lbs is a perfect basketball build too.

if you did well at basketball and are an above average athlete you have about a 50% chance

rugby doesn't have any rules or anything though they just run around and punt it sometimes

>lax player
my nigga what position? from my experience most lax guys if they're any good can usually hang with football guys
also, d1 can meant a lot, good d1 or bad d1

>D1 lacrosse is the same as D1 football
Dude... no. You can be 5'7" 160lbs and bench 135lbs and make a D1 lacrosse team if you have handles, you legitimately cannot make a football team of any division if you don't have size and crazy strength no matter how good you are.

I'll definitely take a look at the basketball team, but wouldn't I have a better shot at making the team with the much larger roster? I feel like I have a CHANCE of getting one of the roughly 100 spots on the football team but literally no shot of getting one of the 12-15 spots on the basketball team.

What school
D1 or D1 AA?
These are very important questions. At a school like Rutgers or Villanova, you could probably make practice squad

D1 AA

Well, from your responses it seems as though I don't have a very good chance, but a better chance than some.

I think I'll go to the tryout for the hell of it but won't have any expectations. If nothing comes of it, at least it gave me some incentive to get faster and stronger.

You have a legimate chance of becoming a walk on, imo you've got good height, you could play TE, Strong Safety, Free Safety, if you bulk up to around 250-260 that's Linebacker size Try it, the coaches might switch your position around so don't get disgruntled and make the most of your opportunity.

>6'7" free safety
t. Guy who has never ever played football

Ok well FCS is way way different than FBS. You actually have a much higher chance of making an FCS team, since they operate on mostly partial scholarships. FCS teams look for walk ons way more, not to mention that most FCS teams are worse than the worst FBS team (inb4 NDSU beat Iowa this year)

However, your lack of any football experience whatsoever basically seals the deal on the fact that you won't make it. You can only get so far in a tryout before it will be blindly clear to the coaches you've never played. There are techniques, form, and instincts that you never developed that are 100% necessary in a football player at the collegiate level. Even as something as small as what the holes are numbered in the line is essential, and those things only come with in game experience.

yeah desu its just a bunch of guys of questionable sexuality running around and OHPing each other.

that sounds like Veeky Forums to me

>You have a legimate chance of becoming a walk on
No, he doesn't. Nigger, football is a fairly complicated game. He doesn't know where to line up, how plays are called, and a myriad of subtleties.

Does he know to immediately shoulder down after catching the ball on a crossing route? Because a 6'7" TE is going to be folded like a fucking blanket by a middle backer if he crosses the middle.

I'm sorry, it's just not going to happen. No D1 coach wants to teach fundamentals that should've been learned in youth leagues or high school.

> football is a fairly complicated game

Ah, you brutes never cease to amuse me

Fundamentals like where to line up or how plays are called? The fuck you talking about, do you think I've never watched a football game before? Shouldering down? Gee whiz, I would've never thought running as upright as possible was a bad fucking idea.

Did YOU play DI football? I've talked to people who have. If I don't make the practice squad it's going to be because I'm just not strong enough or don't have good enough hands or whatever it is that means I can't keep up physically, not because some coach doesn't want to spend 5 minutes telling me how to line up. Ffs there are people in the NFL who didn't play until senior year of high school or in college.

What's the best code of rugby to play Victorian who's shit at Aussie rules here

What would you say for:
>FS, possibly CB
>5'9 170
>haven't tested in forever
>Played football since middle school, have been out of hs for 4 years in the military

Have thought about doing the same for a while, getting out the military soon and going to school, but was worried I was an autist for thinking it. Glad to know I'm not the only one

Union is much better to play, especially if you're strong.
Boring as fuck to watch though, hence why league is so popular.