Full body routines

Can 3 days a week Full body routines still get you aesthetic or are splits 100% necessary?

Problem is I much prefer working out 3 days a week... But ultimately want aesthetics over strength. Anyone else have this problem?

Bump

PPL was great for hypertrophy but gave me overuse injuries so dont expect to do it and go heavy

i would do ULUL or something

Yes if you have good genetics and just grow like a weed from anything.

No if you're a average/poor genetics, you'll need a large variety of exercises, drop sets, meme sets, burn out sets (on-top of your standard progressive overload methods)

i made most of my progress doing madcow 5x5,a full-body routine, after not doing so well with moderate and intense splits. now i take the basic exercises of madcow and base my routine around that, adding in accessories where i see fit and im doing well

this doesnt even seem to address the question, you can do all those things on a full body routine, except that youre hitting each muscle group more often

Yes you can, if you actually put in work on those 3 days.

>you can do all those things on a full body routine,

No you can't.

Try doing drop-sets for your chest, delts, traps, quads, hamstrings, calves, biceps, triceps, lats all in 1 session.........after just having done your compounds.

There's a reason why bro-split works.

>you should do drop sets for every muscle you work in a given day
even on a split thats retarded

Yes. You can easily do a full body(meaning something that hits all muscles) routine three days a week.

There's just one caveat. You can never push yourself too hard. Never ever be exhausted. And never feel even the slightest bit pumped or worn down.

Not from lifting or even dedicated calisthenics or sports. You need real full rest.

Pavel Tstasoline says "Do as much work as possible while remaining as fresh as possible."
It works, and works well.
However, you won't be doing that hardcore lifting thing that so many people love to do and most advocate. That's just not going to happen as a natural unless you're a teen or young man with plenty of test time to rest and are still growing.

madcow 5x5 addresses this well; day 1 is heavy, day 2 is lighter, day 3 is heavy with an additional 1x3 set for a higher weight

Brosplits are useless for natties.
Do PPLPPLx or ULxULxx depending on how much time you have.
3 day full body workouts like SL or SS are great programs but they are mainly for strength

The only part of my body that gets a pump on full body routine is my quadriceps Literally never experience a pump for chest/delts/hamstrings/arms/back/calves/traps while doing a Full body. PPLxPPL also has similar issues.

This is the main reason why I prefer bro-splits, I can actually legitimately get an amazing session on every individual body-part, overload it, get a massive pump, feel it contracting perfectly, feel the burn and all the metabolites going off, all that nice stuff. You just don't get that on a Full body.

>Brosplits are useless for natties.

Spoken like a true DYEL, I can automatically point out a DYEL when they say shit like this.

Never be pumped or worn down? Why the fuck not? I alsways go hard on my full body days. It's not like I do the exact same stuff each body. I have an A and B full body

i agree

i think you're a faggot

Thanks for all the responses anons.

Decided I might just go by way of strength training and have an all accessory day 2x a week. Does this sound alright? Not looking for crazy aesthetics. Just to look like I lift while actually being strong af.

tldr might move on to Madcow plus my own accessory days 2x a week.

sound okay?

Bump

Because, unless you're a fucking mutant and are ACTUALLY going hard you are not going to be able to keep that up longer then a month or two. And that's if you do fuck all else except rest and eat plenty.

I'm calling you out.
P.S. The type of fucking exercise isn't the fucking point. If it hits the same muscles and it hits all major muscle groups directly then you are training ALL MUSCLES HARD THREE TIMES A WEEK.

No I mean depending on the week I'll either hit chest or shoulders twice a week. I will admit that I always hit back and forearms 3 times a week tho.

Also I'm cutting and also I push myself but only for hypertrophy. I am absolutely not on a strength training program but I use progressive overload when I'm not cutting. I still push myself to get good volume across my body which is it easy. I literally feel fine in and out of the gym. Only had to take a week off once. You really gonna say I'm overtraining?

personally id just add the accessories at the end of the workout, idk if you need a full day for them. but try out both ways for a few weeks each and see how it goes.

You're making it seem way easier to overtrain and fuck your shit up then it actually is. I think it's pretty hard to overtrain on a 3 day full body unless you're really overdoing it. I'm not understanding what you're saying I guess. Do you absolutely have to spread the muscles you're hitting out to separate days to build muscle? That doesn't make sense to me

hes retarded. hes never done a full-body routine, so hes making it seem like his bro split is the end-all be-all of fitness. in theory he makes sense, but in practice hes full of shit

Well I know it's not Alex bc he thinks full body doesn't get you enough volume. I just fail to see a difference between doing a 4 day upper lower or even a 5-6 day PPL and a full body. You can wear yourself out on any of them but he says you absolutely should never even get a pump? What the fuck?

>absolutely should never even get a pump
i dont think hes quoting anyone on that, at best it seems he's misinterpreting
>Pavel Tstasoline says "Do as much work as possible while remaining as fresh as possible."

which i see as "maximum effort in your sets, and enough rest in between to be fresh and ready for your next sets and exercises".

Yes. Keep in mind that full body doesn't mean that you need to hit every muscle every time. For example you can switch: push, pull, legs, push pull, legs to: push&pull, legs&push, pull&legs. I would recommend writing out all of the sets you plan on doing in a week and then distributing them into the three days with the most important being space out the most. So, if chest matters most, you might do 4 sets on each of the 3 days instead of 6 on 2 because increased frequency will give better results at the same volume.
So just cram all of your sets into the 3 days and spread the important exercises into more of those days.

I don't think anyone with even half a brain suggests a split

Oly lifters are without a doubt the most aesthetic and they do full body 6x a week.

i think people get the idea from pro bodybuilders, but they dont understand that the gear is directly responsible for making splits viable

Most of that comes from assistance work. Which they do split to an extent, simply to keep fatigue from fucking with the main work.

This is all quite encouraging thanks. To the guy who suggest accessories after the main workout I'll give that a try!

>Keep in mind that full body doesn't mean that you need to hit every muscle every time.

Yes stupid. That is exactly what a full fucking body workout is.

If you are not hitting every muscle then it is not a full body workout.

Oly lifters are on asshole loads of fucking gear.
They can do full body TRUE FULL BODY 3 times a fucking day and see almost nothing in the way of ill effects.

Trained naturals can not.
Teen boys-young men can for a few weeks.
New lifters can for all of 2 weeks.

No one else can.

You fucking retard.
You can not state that you are going beast mode on a true full body workout three days a week then come back with some fucking retarded caveat that you weren't REALLY working THAT hard.
It's fucking bullshit.

I outright fucking state that you can not can not can not push yourself too hard in a true fullbody workout 3days a week.

What are you saying? You wanted to fucking humble brag but got blown out for being a fucktard who didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

Stop co-signing on your own post you moron.
I've done full body 5 days a week for 2 fucking hours at a time for months at a time and all I could do outside of train was sleep and fucking eat. No, not some fucking babbys first strength training shit either with 10 minute rest sessions.
And I bonked hard as fuck, and constantly got sick and was constantly overtrained.

Trained naturals can not fucking do that kind of shit for long periods.

Your mistake was probably as much about the volume as the frequency and intensity.

heres my general routine, just to give an idea

alternate days, 3x/week is probably best, but i go 2-4x/week depending on work, mostly. i do the main compounds in order listed, and accessory order doesnt matter so much

A
>warm up abs for deadlifting
>deadlifts
>bench
>pullups
>dips
>calves
>abs

B
>squat
>ohp
>rows
>flies(either chest, rear delt, shoulder, or occasionally more than one)
>calf
>abs

i have small calves, and i fell for the Veeky Forums meme of no ab isolation, so abs fell behind as well. sp i do both every day now to get them up to speed

>5 days a week
what fucking routine tells you to do that? one you made up? theres your problem. most if not all full body routines are 3-4 days/week and that is enough, because more is counterproductive

There are fairly successful ones that go up to 5-6x a week, using heavily tested lifters.

But they do have to be programmed a bit differently to a more normal full body routine because you are not going to get away with just straight doubling your workload.

My mistake was not giving myself enough time to rest and not listening to my body in the gym. That's all.

Just because I could power through another 20 minutes of chinups bench jumprope or lunges doesn't mean I should.

Even now I have a problem with knowing when to stop. I just keep hammering at it till I'm completely wiped because I like the feeling of it and the post workout feeling.

The problem isn't how many days a week you do it. The problem is intensity and volume and not having organic rest periods. By organic I mean rest when you need to and then continue your workouts.

As for most programs. I did none of them. I read everyone and put something together to help me with sports, my build and to help fill a few holes(no that's not a euphemism for fucking)

you cant blame that on all full body routines. you didnt implement one well, and the way you train might lend itself to a split. but that doesnt mean full body isnt viable, especially for people that go only 3 days per week.

>heavily tested lifters.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You know what I meant.

It's not impossible to use under their conditions, but it's about as unlikely as you'll get. Those anti-doping enforcers are thorough and very fond of collective punishment.

You honestly don't know what the fuck is going on do you?
You're just trying to mindlessly defend whatever program you actually don't understand that you're doing at the moment aren't you?

>you cant go hard on a full body split!
>i went hard on a full body split 5 days a week and i didnt get gains!
>i made my own program that was shit!
>therefore every full body program is shit!

>anti-doping enforcers are thorough and very fond of collective punishment
LOLOL
LOL GODDDAMN dude.

They are. That's how the system works with that lot - you can't compete unless you're affiliated with specific gyms and if they gym racks up multiple failed tests they start throwing around group bans.

You're not going to find an intermediate lifter doing 3xweek true full body programs with full intensity while natural.

Not ever.

Lastly, I never said that. I said that true full body with full intensity multiple times a week is going to snap your shit up as a natty. I have never once deviated from that.

>I said that true full body with full intensity multiple times a week
you didnt, you said you cant push yourself at all on a full body routine here most programs are designed with at least 1 lighter day, that doesnt make it "not a true full body routine". you're shit-talking all full-body routines because you overtrained by trying to develop your own routine and thinking 100% every lift every, every muscle, 5 days a week was viable

They should put this message in the sticky, not joking.

The single most important thing in lifting, for whatever goal, is commitment

Veeky Forumsness is a temple, the roof is your gains, the three pillars are rest, exercises and diet, but the foundation is dedication.

If doing 3 day full body is what you want to do, then do it. Because you'll enjoy it more and do it for longer. And if you find it doesnt work for you, then you'll have a reason to change it for the better.

Whats effective for your goals isnt just whats the best approach for other people, its also whats the best approach for you.

Been lifting for 5 years, 3 of them I fell for the split meme. Got good gains, but i regret that I didnt know about fullbody earlier. From September 2016, I did some research and made a full body routine focusing on the parts i thought i needed to improve on 1st and 3rd day, and 2nd day for the parts I didnt needed to focus on that much. I definetly am an intermediate lifter and I will say that, I am never going back on splits. My weight went from 85kg to 93 kg. (i was cutting to 85kg)

My reasons:
1. going 3 times per week to the gym is much more rational than 5-6, IF u are in university and want to focus on your career as much as possible.
2. Can to compounds every session and actually improve the lifts every week. I went from 140kg 1RM to 200kg 1RM on deadlift. 5KG-s to 25KGS on weighted pull ups/chin ups (5x), 10kgs to 30kgs on weighted dips (5x5).
3. Faster recovery
4. Thus, u can hit every body part 3 times per week, on splits u can hit 1(max 2).
5. FREQUENCY

>5. FREQUENCY

sauce?

as much as i have researched and expierenced, in my opinion its more about frequency, but its just my opinion.

pic related me , before starting the routine.

So you're saying frequency is more important than volume? That's what I thought. But you wrote
>FREQUENCY

if frequency is the most important thing as a natty, would this be a good routine

A
>3 sets of squats
>3 sets of horizontal push
>3 sets of horizontal pull
>3 sets of vertical push
>3 sets of vertical pull

B
>1 set of deadlifts
>3 sets of horizontal push
>3 sets of horizontal pull
>3 sets of vertical push
>3 sets of vertical pull

or is that too much?

Well I started with brosplits as a beginner and had serious trouble increasing my lifts.

Beginner full body routines did miracles for me getting my lifts up, I'll swap back to more upper body accessories once I'm at a strength level I like. But I think you have no business doing a brosplit when you can barely bench 1plate.

My bad, its definetly about frequency

Then name a full body routine. There is no program which hits every single muscle in the body in each session. SS and SL have days without pec and lat work and no days with abs, obliques, calves or side delt work. If you take it as meaning strictly every muscle in the body, then you would also need to include neck and jaw.

>squats every day
>no ab work

Squats do not work abs. you are trying to extend you back in the squat; abs flex the back. If you use a belt your abs can press against it and do a bit more work for your abs, but peak force is very low (I think EMG results indicated

i was joking tbhfam

Just throw in what you need, and what you can still recover from. I did close grip bench, pullups and shit after main lifts on my fullbody.

do you think you would be able to cut weight doing this, while getting slightly stronger?

i'm trying to build both my cardio and strength up currently for muay thai

i'm thinking of doing the below, but not go too high of a volume on the lifts, just slightly below what i'm able to rep x5, but do it for more reps instead. like, i can deadlift 90kg for 5, but instead, i would do 70kg for 8-10.

Monday - 30 min cardio and lifting in the morning, muay thai in the evening
Tuesday - 60 min cardio, muay thai
Wednesday - 30 min cardio, lift
Thursday - 60 min cardio
Friday - 30 min cardio, lift
Saturday - muay thai
Sunday - Rest

considering that a muay thai training session is mainly HIIT, does the above seem like overkill and guaranteed to be overtraining?

No you're just a stupid dumbass who clearly had some major stumbles during his lifting journey. If you think going BEAST MODE just means doing so much volume that you're over trained as Fuck then sure, I guess you're right. I'm just gonna keep going hard as fuck on my full body days (to a reasonable degree) and keep making gains. Sorry it didn't work out for you bud ;)

Holy fuck you're so mad XD

Dude you fucking said you were working out hard.
You were not.
You are a faggot with no experience who tried to humble brag about being BEAST MODE IN DA GYM when you're just a random cunt who did a moderate measured workout as decreed by whatever fucking powerlifting program you're following right now.

Go sit in the fucking corner. Adults are talking.

i do fullbody 3 days / week and dig it. Not big or overly lean, but it works better than splits and PPL for me. 6'0 and 31 yo btw

how is jim wendlers 5/3/1? any one do it?

Full body has gotten me good results. I do my compounds, then gymnast rings galore. Weighted dips and chins are my staple upper body movements.

Hahahaha dude you're so mad that I make gains and you don't XD

Look buddy. Going hard in the gym and overtraining like a tardo are two different things. Clearly you can't understand that, hence your obvious anger. Once again, I'm sorry you're 5 days a week retard mode full body routine was trash. Doesn't mean you have to get so bootyblasted that I called you out for giving shit advice. Enjoy never making it tho brah

>hurr durr you're only working out hard if you feel like shit after and can't recover hurrrr

You're a fucking moron

I'm in dire need of a solid full body routine as a former fit, current fat fuck. My shoulder joint is weak, prone to injuries.

I love full body. Heres' what you do. You decide what bodypart you want to emphasize each day.

You do the main lifts that hit that lift the hardest, while youre fresh.

The. You do the minimum volume for each of your other lifts.

Next workout, that part gets hit with maintenance volume/intensity.

This is also a great way to periodize each lift and keep well recovered.

You dont need to hit drop sets, muscle failuretons of volume to keep growing and getting stronger. You just need to have *enough*

Actually, my gains were fucking ridiculous. The only guys that had better work capacity and could outlift me in volume and with sheer weight were on gear.

The problem was that I spent most of my life tired, sleeping, eating and my body forcing me to rest by making me sick as a dog.

That's what it means for a natural to really work hard and get gains. You're doing in effect just above the MED. And from the way you talk you've NEVER busted ass in the gym so you've never seen the kind of results you can get from it and also the negatives from it.
You also further prove my fucking point. The one that posted about yesterday.
Mainly because you have no experience and think that your workout is the end all be all and you're better then someone.

Yes you silly cunt.
That's exactly what that fucking means.
Working out hard every workout is bad and the gains you get from it are not worth the drop in quality of life and issues you'll face later in life.
You don't know what percieved exertion is or have ever actually been pushed or understand that there are levels to effort.
That your body responds to certain levels of effort consistence and how it adapts to it overtime.

A moderate intensity effort in the gym or home or during whatever exercise you do, along with adequate rest, and eating well will produce 100% positive results and not impact the rest of your life.

You do not HAVE to go beast mode 24/7. There's no point. You get few positives but tons of of negatives. Mainly because you don't understand how to mitigate and make up for those negatives.

This guy is a retard.

why's that?