Who else here is alcoholic/recovering alcoholic/bartender and trying to get or stay fit?

Who else here is alcoholic/recovering alcoholic/bartender and trying to get or stay fit?

Get in here, this shit is fucking difficult.

Not an alcoholic but recovering bartender.

It's not so much about being addicted to booze as it is being addicted to the life. Knowing everyone in my city, free drinks, night life sluts... It's hard to give up.

Now I try to go out only once or twice a week and have a rum and diet and then my next drink is just diet coke. I switch back and forth like that to keep from getting hammered and to keep calories down.

It is really fucking hard isn't it. Life is just boring without drinking. Trying to get fit has been good, and gives incentive for not drinking. I do miss just sitting at the computer with a bottle of gin until the small hours.

Managed to get down to only a couple of drinks at the weekend, and to be honest I feel better during the day as well. Much better than I did when it was a bottle a day anyway

I'm not even straight edge (love psychedelics), but alcohol is the worst shit ever for you.

My bff works out six days a week and has an insanely clean diet, but looks like shit (can never stay lean, has man tits and spare tire) because hes a fucking alcoholic. It's gross

Hey that's me.

Mike?

>I>I have problems i can't seem to figure out

forgot pic

Iktf bro.
Whole post resonates

From like the ages of 24-28 I was depressed as fuck and drank way too much. I was struggling to get my dream job and every time I got knocked back I came a little closer to accepting my fate of alcoholism.

Then for some unknown reason I managed to land the job I always wanted. So packed up, moved 260 miles and started a new life. Promised myself I would get fit and cut back the booze.

So far I'm down from 14.4stone to 11stone and rarely drink, when I do it's something I can never give up (glass of red wine or a nice whiskey) but only in moderation.

I've never been happier. I feel like a new man. It is hard work but I'm sticking to my promise I made to myself. I do have a picture of myself that I look at from when I was a waster (days of being a barman) to keep me motivated.

Also, I miss the bar sloots......

In the same boat OP
Trying to stay sober for longer now. Shit is indeed hard
Had my "cheat" day yesterday night. Hangovers fucking suck

I'm a student on a sports team so it's pretty hard to not drink. However, I recently took a look at my life and realised I was drinking to satisfy some strange not quite physical thirst, as if I got drunk something terrific would happen.
Eventually I realised I just have a bad relationship with alcohol. I still drink but try not to get drunk and won't drink any more than a six-pack or a bottle of wine in a night.

However, my gf broke up with me yesterday so I did get shitfaced on rum and fractured my knuckle punching a wall (can't lift now until that's recovered) which has further invigorated me on my journey to not getting trolleyed 3 or 4 nights a week

just stop drinking.

Also, just be yourself.

You've been here a while, user. :)

recovering alky and former bartender
(I bartended after I got sober. Thought it would be cool, like Sam from Cheers, but really it was just annoying because people would try to buy me shots and when I told them I didn't drink, they thought I was just being a dick.)

Anyway, you need to get yourself a higher power. It will help with both drinking and gains trust me.

i just stopped drinking feels good man, but i also don't feel like hanging out with my friends anymore

whats the job

my issue is me and my gf like to get drunk and watch movies/shows and then fuck after. The problem is we do this about once a week and it takes me at least 10 shots to get to where i wanna be. Iv gone a few months without doing it before but its just an entertaining thing we enjoy doing. Is there something wrong with that or is it alright that i do it?

Police Constable [Read: Cop for our former colonists]

not really an alcoholic, but I definitely got fat as fuck partially because I would drink frequently and it was almost always heavy beer, stouts.
I made a big mistake. reconnected with a friend of mine who started getting into beer so that I could use him to help me drink down some of my older strong beers that I just don't want to try and drink solo anymore.
now I went and got myself caught back up in this shit and I have more beers and alcohol than ever before
and I don't fucking need this shit this isn't what I wanted I didn't want to spend more money on this what the fuck

Getting sober was the best thing I've ever done for myself. It was hard at first because I would get "bored, irritable and discontent" with out booze, but after some time, I'm 100% okay with never drinking again. It's the best life and the only life I've ever been truly happy in.

I quit drinking as a regular thing when I came to terms with the fact that I hated all my drinking buddies, and I hated them because I hated myself, that my choice of shitty people to be friends with was a reflection of how I viewed myself, and our lifestyle was a collective effort to drown our self loathing and turn it outward into mindless hatred for others.

I tried hanging out sober, and it provided a disturbingly clear picture of what a bunch of boring cunts we all were.

Now I just don't have the urge any more, outside of a rare occasional drink. Weeks go by without me touching a glass.

but what if your ok with hanging out sober?

thats the same as any regular drinking you retard

Drink more water and log every beer calorie you drink. It may not help, but it helped me.

t. craft brewery worker and former beer judge that got fat solely off of beer

Recovering alcoholic/addict will have 9 months next Thursday.

Used to lift years ago when I partied heavy. Got good gains but stayed fat af. Would eat clean throughout the day, just to get smashed and eat garbage at night. Would binge on cocaine a couple nights a week, never get enough sleep, then end up eating garbage food and pounding red bulls the next day to recover from coke binge.

Started lifting about 2 months after I got sober and have got tremendous gains and fat loss. Can focus on my diet much better, always get 8 hours sleep, and never skip a workout.

Alcohol fucking KILLS gains. If you can't limit yourself to a couple drinks a week, and care about being Veeky Forums, you might want to give up the sauce.

>my issue is me and my gf like to get drunk and watch movies/shows and then fuck after.

Switch to pot, you'll thank me later.

Are you me, because this whole fucking post resonates with me fucking hard.

>never started drinking
Feels good

You should look into the theological arguments against alcohol if that helps motivate you and you're a Christian

As a non-alcoholic, i never got that.
Genuinely curious here, isn't hard clear shit extremely disgusting ?
It always tastes like bad licorice for me.
How can you down an entire bottle a day ?
Does the taste get lost after a while ?

>Does the taste get lost after a while ?
Short answer, yes

Drinking generally has positive feedback

Recovering alcoholic who is still a bartender. Will be bartending for a couple more years at least while finishing school. Its hard sometimes but honestly lifting is helping to keep me off booze because i started lifting at the same time i started drinking. It kinda helps reinforce the new life im now living. Its been 44 days. Feeling good.

It sneaks up on you, it doesn't just happen overnight. When I was at uni I would get drunk with my friends at the weekend and not drink any other time. I hated the course so I dropped out after a couple of years and got a job. Started having a couple of beers or a glass of wine with dinner most nights because it was nice and relaxing after a long day at work. That slowly progressed to a couple of beers and a bottle of wine every night where I stayed for a long time, it was enough to get to that relaxed and chill drunk but not blackout or hangover inducing.

decided to go back to uni as my job was going nowhere, and all of a sudden I realise my friends have all graduated and have jobs, and I am 22 and used to working long shifts and suddenly have all the time in the world. Classes were a piss take, something like 8 hours a week. Slowly started drinking more and starting earlier, and switched to spirits because it was cheaper overall and drinking a large volume of wine / beer isn't pleasant. At this point it was a bottle every 3 days with beer here and there. The turning point was when I would start waking up with a hangover and feeling shit throughout the day, and I discovered a drink at lunch time made all that go away and I felt good if I kept drinking. Plus it was pretty fun, classes in the morning then sit and chill drinking for the rest of the day. My consumption slowly went up and up, until it was a bottle a day every day which I sustained for almost a year, until I decided enough was enough and I didn't want to find myself in an early grave. First week or so was hell, now it is just boredom to deal with.

As for the drink itself, I mix gin with tonic or ginger ale which tastes really nice. Would open a bottle around 4pm, and it would be gone by 11pm. Sleep, repeat. Measures got stronger as the night went on, but always tasted good.

Sorry for the blog post, who knows maybe someone will find this interesting.

I drink daily, have for years, beer mainly, no problems. Perfect weight, and I also eat a lot. Just mainly vegan diet.

Beer is healthy too, anti-oxidants, and stuff like that...

recovering alcoholic reporting in. what's difficult?

Started lifting at the same time i stopped* drinking

I was in a fraternity so there were parties almost every day. but once I moved away to a new city it was so much easier.

At first I went out a lot because I didn't know anyone, now I only drink on Friday and Saturday, all I drink is Vodka and water w/ lime. I get shit for drinking it but at least I'm not a fatty.

I've lost a ton of weight and I feel a lot better.

Forever a 15 year old...

Yeah, my friend in college made fun of me for only drinking Diet Coke and white rum; but I stayed lean as fuck.

After college, I started to put on muscle, so I cut back drinking to a night or two of drunken shenanigans every 3 or 4 months.

same, I've only cut back a month now and I have great results already. I always hated the guys who could stay in shape and eat and drink whatever the fuck they wanted.

Unfortunately I have a slow metabolism and I have to be very careful with what I eat.

Start running, I stopped drinking end of last year. Haven't drank since, whenever i get a thirst for a drink I'll run, that way when i get back post run last thing i want is a drink and lap up water instead.

Just lifting will be harder, defiantly start doing cardo throughout the day aswell.

Although one or two beers a week isn't bad for you.

found the fat fuck