I need a new desk, are standing desks any good and beneficial at all or just a meme?

I need a new desk, are standing desks any good and beneficial at all or just a meme?

They have ones that you can adjust to sitting or standing.

That's the one I'm looking at right now. I just want to know if there's any benefit to using it standing all day.

Get and adjustable one. Sit ergonomically for 50 minutes, stand for 10, repeat all day.

i read that standing all day is almost as bad as sitting all day. just get a normal desk and, every 15-20 minutes, stand up and walk around for a few minutes.

Don't have the space in this tiny room to do that and I'd feel weird doing that every day.
This seems like a good idea, I could just adjust to stand for 10-20 minutes.

It is beneficial
Sitting all day is fucking awful for you
I honestly found I had more energy and a lot less back pain

I find it hard to concentrate when in unnatural position - and for PC work standing is unnatural.

It may be ok if you just clerk working with CRM or stuff, but as programmer i cant imagine it.

>standing all day

Rip lower back.

Walking yes, standing no. Get a treadmill and you will be fine but otherwise you will fuck your shit up even more and faster at that.

the new definition of "meme" is a meme. kys.

Tbh, sitting isn't bad for you, sitting for too long is. Standing isn't bad for you, but standing for too long is.

I know people who have standing desks, so they stand all day and have to buy floor mats because their feet hurt, and they end up standing in a slouch because they are tired.

The best thing to do is to sit and take a 10 minute walk every hour to stretch. That way you don't look like a faggot new-professional either.

What if my plan is to adjust it to stand only 10-15 minutes a day?

Finally someone said it.

>standing desks, so they stand all day and have t

Standing all day is worse than sitting all day. If you try standing for 7 hours your body will very quickly tell you though that it wants to die

If you can't afford a treadmill just take a rest every one hour ( i do it every 30min) and walk for 5 minutes, if you can't afford a treadmill. You can see for yourself(google ) that taking breaks and walking instead of doing it once for the whole day is extremely more healthy.

that's only because we're used to sitting all day. once you've adapted to standing all day, i'd say that standing all day is slightly better because you're moving at little bit more than when you're sitting all day.

Then save the literal thousand dollars these meme-desks cost and do as I said; sit to work and go for a 10min walk every hour.

Nope. The human body is designed to be walking. Standing is never comfortable

>that's only because we're used to sitting all day.
Yeah and when you put more pressure on your body you will get varicose veins even faster.

Let's be honest, most people that use standing desk wind up getting tired and sitting anyways.

Sitting is not an issue, it's sitting too long and standing too long some people develop issues with their legs.

Take a break and stretch/warmup your legs regularly in between desk work.

Seems like $600 can be better spent on a good chair rather than a gimmick desk that you'll adjust once in a blue moon.

what about kneeling?

typical Veeky Forums

Worked retail in college. Standing for 8 hour shifts for two years.

You never "get used to it".

okay

Only benefit I can think of for a standing desk is that it makes it harder for you to slack off and procrastinate on your desk.

Oh and if you can't even get rests every one hour you can try sitting on the floor which is still infinitely better than on chair.

It's not a disastrously bad idea actually.

OP, just get pic related and kneel. Fit saves the day, again.

what a cute little girl

The most important part is to want to be at your desk. I work in and office and nearly everyone that had a standing desk has changed to a sitting desk in the last 18 months and a lot of those that didn't sit on tall stools at their standing desks.

>sitting alone like a fucking autist
>dressed like a fag
>can't even raise hand properly without making a spastic claw
>forearms like a prepubescent girl
>still in school
what the fuck is she laughing about

she reminds me of you

has anyone tried just squatting like asians and slavs do instead of sitting? that would probably be the best and most natural way for humans to sit anyway

squat on a chair?

does it matter?

> 2017
> not getting a squatting desk

Never going to make it

best way to sit behind pc and improve your squat depth? i think so

I did that 8 hours a day and my testicles swelled up twice the normal size. HUGE

>squatting desk
and yes, I've got an actual patent pending.

a better design would be to have the desk be able to rise and lower because you can't maintain lower position like that with weight on for a long time. that way you could rest at the top and do squats whenever you feel like it.

You really think I'm revealing the full design on here. It's got plenty of cool features that I'd only post on Veeky Forums once I hear back from the patent office.

This.

Get a good chair that makes it comfortable to sit with good posture and an anti-fatigue mat for standing on and you're good to go.

A motorized desk with memory for heights like autonomous.ai will minimize your work interruption in the transition. I like the ergonomic shaped ones that you can slot yourself right into and rest your arms on.

You should pitch your product on Dragon's Nest

100% of the standing desk our office got are no longer used for standing. Waste of money. Although, fine adjusting the Desk for your sitting height is pretty cool.

god damnit, Dragon's Den

Those scrawny faggots can't appreciate shit like this. If all goes well, in a couple of years you won't have to choose between being in the office or the gym.

Seriously just a meme, me and my colleague spend 9 hours a day on our feet and we don't have any of the magical benefits some buzfeed article will tell you about

people are still fat with bad posture, standing up wont change shit

no but you certainly don't have as many problems that people that sit on their ass for 9 hours a day do like tight/weak muscles, pelvic tilts, etc.

Will the squatting generate electricity that powers my computer?

Does it have a protein and oats dispenser?

Fuck, you guys are good at guessing

Fuck it, I'm fairly confident the patent will stick:
The computer is obviously built into the barbell and you can forgo the out-rigged mount if you use 3d glasses and barbell mounted controls.
Yeah, it has built in legs with gravity mechanisms.
It's connected to the ground via spooled bands that drive electric motors as you do reps. You don't even put on weight - the resistance is provided by the bands via a mechanism that "gears" the motors to provide various levels of difficulty. Thought about a dynamo set-up but it fucked things up.
It has a 2D servo mechanism that adjusts the CoG by sliding the counter-weight. Although you can turn that off since is kind of a dyel cop-out. I thought about a torque based mechanism, but that had it's problems.
There is an option to either use shoulder mounts so you can use your hands or a chorded keyboard+
trackball combo built into the barbell.

How can I invest? Are you giving up equity at the moment?

No, I wanted to avoid feature creep. Otherwise the next step would be a toilet, then inbuilt fans etc. etc.

the ground should be a dyno that generates power as well so you can do cardio in between squatting. maybe add in some tilting mechanism so you can take a quick nap in a somewhat standing position when you are tired. don't forget protein infusions for maximal gains.

Honestly, I'm not that great with finances, but I got a decently detailed plan regarding manufacturing, supply lines, labour costs etc. Probably would be willing to give up net points (no accounting tricks, and taxes are low in my country.)

See , although the complete office/gym set-up has lots of neat stuff. But that's more of a long term plan unless people show lots of interest.

>protein infusions
It's surprisingly hard to get a license to make them and I'd be on the hook for all kinds of liability. Of course, they don't have much benefit over just eating your fucking food, but I thought it'd sell well with wannabe hardcore crowd.

>whey protein and bleach
Probably /ourguy/

Condolences on missing quads by one post.

>varicose veins and poor posture are better than tight hip flexors and poor posture.