Let's talk about alcohol and exercise

Let's talk about alcohol and exercise

Do you have a beer after a workout?
Do you workout the day after a night of hard drinking?
Do you avoid alcohol altogether?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16772450
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I occasionally drink on my rest day(s).

read the sticky

1. No
2. Depends on the bender mate
3. No

OP here, I want to know more about the effects of alcohol on my gainz

I feel like having a beer or two shortly post-workout isn't the worst thing you could do; it has simple carbs and sodium in it.
Alcohol inhibits your protein synthesis (or so I've read) so I don't have any more than a couple at a time

Regarding lifting the day after, it's sort of a double-edged sword
You've had shitloads of carbs so you have lots of available energy, but alcohol inhibits test production by screwing with your growth hormone levels at night

>only if I've been lifting not long before I've been going out
>not normally
>no

1 (one) beer every week. Preferably a Trappist.

>tfw you only drink beer brewed by religious Fanatics

My brother

no no yes

Sometimes
No
No
Rest days I might get decently buzzed, but days that I left I try to limit myself to one beer. If it was a long ass day I'll crack a second. Really depends on the beer as well. Light stuff I'd be fine with 3 or 4, but a heavy stout or ipa, one and done usually.

I drink vodka. Fewer calories and junk than a light beer.

Had 4 or 5 beers and a chinky tonight m8
Lift late evening or late afternoon next day, eat breakfast at 1pm or 2pm eat again before you /lift/ if you got wrecked the night before then it's best to leave it you won't have enough strength and your heart will go like a jackhammer mid workour

Beer is terrible for any bodybuilder because hops are a powerful xeno-estrogen. It screws with your test levels and causes you to store more fat in your stomach and chest, resulting in the infamous beer gut and moobs. It's estrogenic effects are so strong that it can hasten menstrual cycles and trigger cramps in women workers who pick the hops, and beer is widely reputed to help boobs get bigger.

Vodka is a better choice for the active male, but be aware that it does reduce test levels for up to 48 hours. I tend to drink only one day a week and to eat very well and only do light training the day after.

>yes
>yes
>no

I own a brewery and help out and might purchase part of a distillery. I work out in spite of drinking and so I don't become a fat sack of shit. Since I'm drinking somewhere around 66 ounces of beer in various stages a day, gotta do some work.

You seem knowledgeable user, what should you eat to maintain/raise test levels and what to avoid eating/drinking to prevent test levels being lowered by estrogen and that?

>tfw fully aware frequent beer-drinking is impeding my gains but I like it too much to care

Came here to drop this knowledge, you beat me to it. Beer is awful for male health. Optimally you wouldn't drink at all, but if you must then distilled spirits are the way to go.

>hops are a powerful xeno-estrogen
Sounds like a conspiracy. Got a credible source to that claim?

>not drinking a small amount of wine each night

Has anyone else while on a cut not eaten anything all day just so you could drink that day?

T-that would be crazy, right?

Look at every beer drinking society. Bunch of fat pussies

>expecting to keep any muscle mass without eating protein
>expecting to have good workouts without carbs
seek help

You do realise you are just making your body think it needs to store fat more than usual the next time you eat right?

Just eat normally bloody hell, cutting is a journey not a race.

Is it pathetic to go alone to a bar and drink, Veeky Forums?

Not really, but if you're going to be drinking alone you might as well drink at home and save money

>drinking at bars at all

go to breweries nigga

>better beers
>better atmosphere
>better customers and better staff

I could just be a pussy, but I feel sensitive to hydration, so I really hate lifting the day after drinking, so I avoid drinking before lift days like the plague. A beer or two at dinner never hurts me though.

>not drinking the liquid bread for mad gains
everyone who talks about not drinking isn't going to make it

Naw dog, just bring a book, or the paper, and don't look at your phone.

Just smoke pot

a low calorie beer is like 90 cal. so, you probably can't have more than 3 or 4, especially if you like craft stuff.

stick to whiskey, which is usually 100 calories for a good pour, of whatever kind.

No, but be careful where. When I do, fat Navajos come onto me and their faggy looking boyfriends want to fight me. I usually get kicked out or leave before some shit does down.

or do opiates, a lot more FUN

So no then?

There's literally no evidence that alcohol inhibits fitness. It's just the lifestyle of pub snacks, late-night McDonald's, sleeping off a hangover, etc. that gives you the beer belly.

>Doctor gives you a prescription for 30 days of opiates
>Manage to stretch it for almost two months with liquor

the detox shits after were terrible, but bes months

Story time user

I'm running 900 calories below my cut level already today, so I'm having a dogfish head 60 minute and calling it a night.
I don't think it'll magically nullify the remaining 700 calories below my already 700 calorie cut.
People here think having a beer means you just inflate, it's calories in, calories out

1) Sometimes. One beer (or two) isn't going to really affect your gains, if it fits into your calories. Alcohol is poison for your body, that takes an hour (per beer) to be removed from your body. So drinking a beer on a day you workout is like getting an hour less seep/recovery that night.
2) It depends. Alcohol fucks with your bodies ability to retain water. I feel cardio is out of the question after a night of hard drinking. i can lift after some recovery time, but i'm not expecting to PR.
3) No fag.

Just don't get wrecked every week. Having a couple beers isn't going to destroy your gains. Unless you're absolutely autismal about optimizing your gains efficiency, depriving yourself of a tall glass of tasty suds is just unnecessary.

>using unnecessary mind altering shit to "enjoy" life
lmao

I gave up beer because I found it totally killed gym productivity. I tend to have a few drinks at the weekend, and occasionally one night during the week. Even one beer fucked my shit up, spirits were fine so long as I wasn't getting plastered.

Now I only drink gin, whisky, and sometimes red wine. Don't really miss beer

That explains why vikings were all fat fucks

Vikings drank shitty mead and small beer

I found that eating a lot of oats helps. Eat oats when you get home from drinking, drink a liter of water. Have some.water bottles next to your bed. Maybe drink a sports drink too. Next day, force yourself to drink a lot of water and eat oats again. Even works against a molly hangover

3 days, 13 hours sober.

This time I do it for ME.

Literally bought one yesterday on my way home to have on my rest day

While you are right-ish, there's some corrections you need.

First, Hops contain a phytoestrogen. 8-PN (8-prenylnaringenin). Not a xenoestrogen. It is not imitating estrogen, a phytoestrogen is simply a plant-derived compound that binds to estrogen receptors. (I know semantics, but this is important for the next bit of info).

So high hopped beer, let's say a 90 IBU (International Bitterness Unit, the measure of how much hops are in the beer, essentially) IPA has very low or even undetectible amounts of 8-PN. You can drink a 6 pack and barely register in most cases.

Now... This is where it gets interesting. There's also a compound called isoxanthohumol (IX, because fuck typing that shit out even once more lol) in hops and it is concentrated in low amounts in most high hop beers. This is the important one. What happens in the intestines is gut flora can activate up to 4mg/L of 8-PN, amounts large enough to actually have a measurable effect on human physiology.

So I'm not appearing that I'm talking out my ass here's the link to the peer-reviewed study regarding this:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16772450

Now, I don't personally believe you're at a huge risk if you're drinking light beer or your regular shelf domestics (unless you're crushing a 6 pack or more every day). Where you're going to get hit with this is if you drink high-hop beers (above 60 IBU) at what is considered "Moderate Drinking Levels" which is up to 14 "drinks" for men, 7 for women (Drinks being measured as such: 1 bottle of 5% ABV beer, 1 shot of 40% ABV spirits, 1 5 oz glass of 12% ABV wine, a 12 oz serving of coolers/ refreshment beverages). As a high hopped beer is usually higher in alcohol content, you can expect to consume half or 3/4 as much beers compared to the recommended level.

I'd say, switch to red wine or stick to low hop beer if you're going to have beer. Red wine at least has beneficial compounds for both weight loss and heart health.

Correction to my post. That's 14 Drinks per week for men, and 7 drinks per week for women.

opiates destroy testosterone.
u dun goofed