Jiu jitsu or boxing

Should I do BJJ or boxing Veeky Forums?

Goals: real world defense application, conditioning as a secondary, also how fun it is

And how do I find a legit gym for either? I'm in Phoenix Arizona if anyone has opinions on the area

Other urls found in this thread:

vipbox.tv/boxing/344623/1...am-online.html
youtu.be/zof0WmcWwnk?t=45
youtube.com/watch?v=5XaTZ6nS4iY
youtube.com/watch?v=a7hbXOzMnQM
boxrec.com/media/index.php/Division-By-Division_-_The_Greatest_Fighters_of_All-Time
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

UFC 208

You guys watching the fights? Damn, I feel like i should've hit up the bars in denver for this fight, great card.. maybe in march or april cards

bump

Do BJJ. If you don't have reach in a boxing match you're fucked. BJJ teaches you how to get inside the other guys area and win that way.

BJJ by far. Much more applicable in street fights. But there's something commending of a good boxer as well. You could get away with either actually. Just know what to do if taken to the ground if you go boxing.

Also, live stream of fight anyone?

vipbox.tv/boxing/344623/1...am-online.html

>real world defense application
You're in Arizona, get a gun and choose whichever's more fun for you.

andersion silva is up now, get to it.. should be good

anderson vs brunson, already missed three great fights, but this should be good, still have about two hours in the main card

I have guns but killing someone comes with a whole lot of headache and legal trouble vs fighting them

Do judo and enjoy the legal headache when you tai otoshi some cunt through the pavement

boxing. bjj is great until their buddy shows up and they kick you in the head

how is BJJ more applicable in street fights than boxing?
this seems like the main problem

if i was to fight someone one on one bjj would win out, but in a situation where someone else might jump in i don't want to be grappling one guy

Boxing first. The fight begins standing, it's easier to take on multiple opponents with boxing than jiu jitsu, because if you're on the ground grappling, their mate can just kick you in the head.

Boxing teaches footwork, striking and blocking which transitions to many different martial arts really easily.

I'd learn a grappling art with both ground game and clinching though, such as catch wrestling.

BJJ in street fights goes off the idea that when people are not trained to keep the fight standing then the fight won't stay standing and once it's on the ground then BJJ is king

realistically the only fights youll get into are some drunk guy shoving you in a bar. you dont need to wrestle the drunk fucker into submission, just give him a few hooks to the jaw. if you're getting mugged by tyrone or jose, you better have a gun or be able to run fast

What is it about this city of half a mil in the middle of nowhere that gets so much attention? ALL the US rural states and Colorado comes up most of all ... behind Texas of course

btw moving to Denver in about April or so.

>how is BJJ more applicable in street fights than boxing?

Just the general assumption that the fight will never go in your favor or as predicted. Boxing is great for a stand up one-on-one open area. BJJ gives you the ability to cripple someone hanging from their neck in the space of a hallway. The benefit also being you're somewhat protected by the person's body if he has friends trying to jump in as well.

I used to wrestle in high school and got jumped once in my neighborhood. I ran at first but soon realized I wasn't going to get away and just turned and tackled the fastest guy coming up on me. I pretty much pulled him on top of me in a choke and threw his body around to where his friends were kicking. Still got my ass whooped but I think it could've been worse, or I might've been able to take them if there weren't so many of them

fuck it, if you like guns, ufc, and you're chill come out..

im in denver.. april fight also has a good fight card, some chill bars out here

>fighting multiple people at once
>expecting a good result

shouldve ran

lol there was no way I was getting away. They were fast as fuck. Just turned and took the beating

So yo lost? Why are you telling that story then? There's no practical martial art that will tell you stick around and grapple someone to the ground while his buddies come up to kick you. You're right about one thing, it could've been worse. You're lucky they didn't want to maim or kill you. And don't skip cardio! Maybe you'll be able to get away next time.

didnt read that u ran until just now. my bad

That logic doesn't really check out,

If you initiate grappling you just made sure you are vulnerable to any third party - while staying on your feet at least gives you option to run,

youtu.be/zof0WmcWwnk?t=45

I boxed for a year and stopped because of the constant brain trauma. It's fun as hell but really, not overstating this, it causes irreparable brain damage.

>2017
>still thinking bjj is useful because all fights go to ground

striking in a full contact context is the only true way to train for a physical comfrontation.

grapplers talk a lot of shit, but in the end, if you dont have the ability to disengage and make a run for it, you've already lost.

You're right, I'm just thinking it would've been much worse if I didn't have any wrestling experience beforehand.

Yeah the point was the beating was coming to me regardless. I never had knock out power, or maybe I just suck at boxing. I guess if someone were trained in boxing I could see them being able to take out multiple people coming at them, assuming those people didn't know much about fighting

>get the shit beat out of him
>still thinks grappling works

lol.

for self defense I want to say boxing, because theres no real faster way to get a guy down than punching his lights out if you can do it, plus if theres multiple people it'd probs be better to be bobbing and weaving over taking one of them down and breaking an arm

find a new gym.

proper trainers dont make you spar full contact all the time.

full contact sparring should only ever be done occasionally to keep you in touch with reality, i.e. to remind you your half assed block wont work against a full force hook.

if you are sparring full force more than a few rounds a week, find a new gym.

some gyms think you train like you should fight, but although that makes good fighters, it also fucks your body up and is worse in the long run. it also prevents people building that mental game, i.e. you are so focused on not getting hit that you dont plan out your long term strategy.

also work on your guard. most gyms wont even let you spar unless you can keep a competent guard up at all times. if you have a shit guard then your trainer didnt do his job properly. that shit needs to be drilled into you during pad drills.

should've learned to punch harder then.

everybody has the ability knock somebody else out at the same weight class. its just that people dont bother training for power at the amateur level since its more about scoring points.
thats why some fighters are shit at amateur but do decent as a professional.

even if they are bigger, you should at least be able to wind them.

even a retard can build knockout power if he trains for it.

just gotta find yourself a heavy bag, and punch it repeatedly with the goal of hitting it harder eacn time.

People mostly just stand and watch the fight. i mean look at the street fight videos most of the are a bunch dindus just standing.

>If you don't have reach in a boxing match you're fucked

Who is Mike Tyson?

When you're on the ground in a street fight, the best and really only option is to get back on your feet. You can easily be stomped when on the ground by anyone around.

long limbs are also a distinct advantage in bjj though

lanklets can triangle you from across the fucking room

>t. Never been in a real fight

Going to the ground IRL is the absolute worst thing you can possibly do.

Do boxing or MT, OP. Or Judo.

Pick BJJ in a few years if you want to know what to do if you somehow end up on the ground 1v1 with nobody else around you

>BJJ teaches you how to get inside the other guys area and win that way.

Not really. I mean sort of. If you look at BJJ classes and actually tallied up the percentage of time spent doing this; it would be less than 1%

I don't think it's really more applicable to the streets. I would say wrestling is far more applicable

That seems like a semi unrealistic throw for a street fight

His buddy can just kick you in the head from behind while you are boxing his other buddy

>Catch wrestling

Jesus Christ dude, you should have just tipped your fedora instead

Sure it might be easier, but with more than one opponent you're fucked either way. It's like saying it's easier for two ants to lift a semi-truck than one ant.

I'm a BJJ/grappling coach. I would suggest:

Don't be a dumb ass
Don't go to places where you are are more likely to get in fights
Buy a gun

If you want to do martial arts, do it because it is fun. I personally find NoGi BJJ the most fun, but like all kinds of martial arts. Boxing is cool; but boxing culture is shitty. The sport is filled with white trash/brown equivalents and shitty coaches. Good way to get brain trauma. Muay Thai is more fun in my opinion, and your risk of brain damage is a lot lower; especially if you train like they train in Thailand.

>You've never been in a fight.

Legal after math is 110% in real life.

Pick MMA, sided with 80% grappling as in clinch, and ground. Also you have so much more to learn.

Take him down. Knee in belly HARD. Look for other attackers. Run and or pull out your ccw.

Do judo

Legit.

Boxing is worth it. Let me "just" say that.
Bad experiences, shitty coachs, shitty people. On top of brain trauma that I felt. IS THE PRICE you pay...

I value what I leaned. I sparred like 3 times in a period of 9ish months 4-5 days out of the week (going to the gym).

I still feel the brain trauma.
3 days after every sparring session produced headaches and brain fog.

>His buddy can just kick you in the head from behind while you are boxing his other buddy

Possible but it would be way easier for someone to kick you in the head when you have your arms busy with BJJ things, also gives them more reason to do it, i normally wouldnt kick or stomp anyone in the head because you can easily give them brain damage, but if someone was gonna break one of my mates arms or choke him unconcious I'd boot them right in the head no hesitation.

Lmao no it doesn't, am I do bjj. The majority of bjj gyms don't even teach stand up grappling, don't listen to this butt scooting queer. Do boxing and judo, you'll have great hands and great stand up grappling so you won't get taken down. You'll know throws, and you'll have some ground game. Learning only ground stuff doesn't make sense to me

The point of BJJ in a street fight with multiple people is to get off the ground and not end up there. Again, I find wrestling better for this (other than the advantages of guard when you are on your back). Your entire point is based around being retarded and not understanding fighting.

If you are on your feet, you should be running.

>The majority of bjj gyms don't even teach stand up grappling

Sorry, but that is objectively untrue. Most BJJ gyms do teaching standing to various degrees. However, it just isn't much of a focus in general.

YES!

Compepetive judo is a whole another hurt. Long term.

The skill is worth it.

Pretty much.

More wresling based here.

We do a lot of wresling in no gi class.
Teaching, drills, sparing.

I personally think that wrestling is better. Simpler to learn, less injuries, more practical. You learn to scramble back to your feet which is a HUGE deal in self-defense.

Judo is pretty fun though. Been doing it for 2 months now to supplement my BJJ/wrestling. Still scares me.

>That seems like a semi unrealistic throw for a street fight

Tai otoshi is actually one of the easiest throws to do no gi ime

Just need a single underhook and it can absolutely devastating even on sprung floors

It's good. BJJ people need a lot of wrestling. I'm glad my BJJ coach was a D1 wrestler.

I feel a little bad that for this 1.5 month block I'm not teaching any wrestling off the feet in my NoGI class. However, a lot of the moves are essentially wrestling on the ground and we'll be follow people up to the feet for the last half to finish the takedown/sweep.

>If you are on your feet, you should be running

What if i get into a fight the pub? Or in a house or other enclosed environment? What am i meant to do then, just sprint off?

Will have to ask my Judo coach to show me how to do that. He very occasionally does a nogi class.

Do you rely on the wrist grip like this jabroni?

youtube.com/watch?v=5XaTZ6nS4iY

Of course, goyim

Don't learn to defend yourself and your family, just let jamal rape your women while you run off

You should try to get away. But I would follow my previous advice which is to stop being such a piece human excrement who hangs around other filth.

Also, gun

Wrist grip definitely helps with it but it is possible to do without it as long as you can still rotate effectively

I admit I'm biased because tai otoshi was one of the first throws that I could pull off with any regularity in randori and so I've drilled the shit out of it.

Your mileage may vary

Kickboxing and wrestling.

>stop being such a piece human excrement who hangs around other filth.

Well we cant all live in nice, rich, crime free areas now can we?

>Gun
Im in Australia land.

Not really interested in tai o desu, but it definitely makes you fly.

>bar

Who made you go there?

Bjj standup is usually shit

Here is a better one for you
youtube.com/watch?v=a7hbXOzMnQM

Wanting to be social, and to meet ladies.

Bars only get you laid if you are chad or gay.

dude, in that scenario just don't fight at all and show your gun.

if they are pussy they will flee, if they are armed I hope your superior operator skills will protect you.

I'm neither and i do alright, just gotta wait till like 3 in the morning on a Friday night when the girls are stupidly drunk.

Got overrun by faggots from California that got sick of living there, so they decided to shit up another place. Also they had legal pot before everyone so general trash are flocking to there. Also it's a sanctuary city so Mexico is everywhere.

Basically the typical culprits for shitting up every city plus trash.

Its also becoming a tech hub so look forward to not being able to afford a house there soon.

>catch wrestling
>fedora
You're being the autist here. I may have gotten my words mixed up, but what I meant was basically just standard wrestling, freestyle wrestling or whatever you call it. It's one of the best modern grappling arts and you're a retard for being pedantic about that shit.

Also, on the part about boxing, my whole point is to make things easier, which is why boxing is better to use initially than going straight to ground, you actually have a chance to win whereas going to ground against multiple opponents means a 99% chance of being fucked.

There are countless streetfight videos online where one guy took on 3 or 4, in one case, 5 vs 20 by mostly striking, clinching and not going to fucking ground.

Hey fucker ta otoshi saved my life. A box cutter welding hobo attacked me and I used a sleeve tai otoshi from a wrist grip to throw him, then broke his wrist.

It was also the first time I ever hit tai otoshi.

For everyone saying Bjj is great for self defense, go to some classes. You must realise that takedowns are extremely important, and Bjj has very few. Their competition systems do not favor them, so their participants are not good at them. In real life the ground is hard. Shooting a single and breaking your knee is a possibility. And pulling guard on a weird curb can break your spine after a tiny slam.

I've done judo for 4 years, and have been doing Bjj and wrestling for 3, boxing for 2. I know dozens of ways to slam heads into pavement. Then also submit.

Work on a striking art, then a takedown art. Finesse subs IRL is something you do not want to have time for.

Brain damage vs. fucked up joints and skin disease, pick your poison.

Both can be avoided but it also means you'll never actually get good.

How come no one says Muay Thai?

Is it a meme?

>real world defense application, conditioning as a secondary
Boxing. All fights start standing and BJJ is infamous for being shit conditioning.

Grappling is one of the most exhausting thing you could do

Going to an MMA gym would be best but...Muay Thai>>>>Boxing

Bjj isn't very hard cardio wise you pussy

Any sort of grappling is exhausting. Definitely not as intense cardio-wise than wrestling but still pretty hard.

You rarely rest, you're always pushing in one direction or another with very little break time.

i do muay thai, its fun

I want to do boxing, but is brain damage a real risk? I value my brain and don't want to get Muhammad Ali'd for boxing a few times a week.

If you compete and spar for a long time then yeah, but if you take classes twice a week you'll be fine. No one will force you to spar hard

I've been boxing for about 8 months now and only in the intermediate classes do you actually spar. Got knocked left and right for an hour straight but it taught me more about my defense than 5+ hours of the beginner class drills.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you're in control of how far you go, I learned a lot from sparring but it wasn't really what I wanted to do so I pulled back

BJJ if you have to fight white guys
Boxing if you have to fight dindus

I was gonna reply 7 minutes later but the fag mods banned me for a /sp/ post

Yea, I always wanted to own a gun and I recently started to watch UFC last year. I'm an idiot from California like said, when I go places I respect how they live. I actually got experience living in the city and rural zones so I won't be in for a culture shock.

BJJ is good
No brain trauma

Hate to say it, but jiu-jitsu changed my life.
It's one of the only sports/martial art you can go 100% in, because you can always tap before things get too out of hand.
Once you start it, you'll definitely become addicted.

Do both nigga.

>comparing arguably the heavyweight goat to a Veeky Forumsizen

nigger what the fuck are you even posting for

Boxing for a year

You probably hit like a fucking pussy, learn to punch first and good boxing footwork and then Wrestling or Judo, BJJ is too expensive and overrated

Most people punch like shit, being better at punching will give you a far more advantage than you imagine. Also Boxing is literally anime for evading punches, you will become godlike at evading and recognizing openings for hitting

Learn to take a hit to the head and do sparring, or else in a street fight you will receive your first punch in your life and you will quickly forget everything about BJJ instantly because of the panic of getting punched at. Most people fighting try to do the basic strategy of overwhelming you with weak punches so if you don't know how to handle that overwhelming attack, the BJJ training will be useless

Train your neck and you will suffer no head problems

"wew lad"

>heavyweight goat
boxrec.com/media/index.php/Division-By-Division_-_The_Greatest_Fighters_of_All-Time
yeah and your 2nd favorite boxer must be muhammad ali, right?

cont.

Muay thai is also a good option, and it's friendlier to new people, but a competitive boxing gym will teach you far more better footwork than a muay thai gym and it will be a better investment in the long run (since footwork is the fundamentals for good fighting)

search for boxing gyms who had competitive fighters in amateur or professional fights, serious boxing gyms come into two packages, either you get your ass kicked in the first day in a sparring, which is to make newbs leave (after that it will be much lower intensity and you will start technique drills which are much easier), or they have conditioning workouts that will push you to your limits so they make people who can't handle it leave.

Usually after that initial test the training becomes more regular and sustainable in the long run

There are a lot of examples of reach not being the end of all

I mean, box is a sport of skill, reach gives you the advantage in some parts but it isn't the end

For example, Christian Hammer (1.88m) won against David price (2.03m) with almost 20cm of difference in reach (Price has a 2.08m reach) in the heavyweight division

Why are you using a boxrec list as evidence, do you think ezzard charles is actually better than mike tyson?

>lets take a situation that might end up badly with a freak hit to the head and make FUCKING sure someone end's up dead or in jail

amerisharts everyone

If you use a gun, you end in jail for homicide

And in jail you can't use guns, so you will have to fight bare-handed

you get your ass kicked in the street or in jail with guns, it's a big no no

>defeated joe louis, joe walcott, and archie moore once, twice, and 3 times respectively
tyson couldn't even beat holyfield or lewis

not OP, but what sport is least dangerous?

i dont want to hurt my head most of all. or mess up any joints or bones

judo does look really cool, but afraid i'll snap my neck or hurt my head if i dont land on my back

Holyfield is one of the greatest of all time, and tyson was already done when he faced Lewis. You can't compare modern athletes to that era. Holyfield would kill any of the people you mentioned. Joe was fucking old when he fought charles. I don't even think tyson is the goat

If you're talking about martial arts then definitely not judo, nothing effective is really thay safe. Bjj and point karate I gues, but point fighting has its flaws

Here's my amateur analysis after some training in BJJ and boxing.

BJJ got popular in MMA because nobody really knew how to defend against it and a good grappler could take down a good striker even if he was bigger. Rolling on the ground takes a lot out of you if you don't know what you're doing. Now, stand up fighters have trained to not be so susceptible to takedowns or sweeps, and they do BJJ as part of their regimen. It doesn't make them great grapplers, but it does give them the ability to get position or escape and get back on their feet for more striking.
BJJ guys need to be better strikers because strikers learned BJJ.

In a street fight, I'd rather be a kickboxer than a grappler. I'd also rather not be in a street fight.

you cunts are gay. At MY BJJ gym, we wrestle five days a week, and always start from standing.

What the fuck are you clowns doing?

boxing is more brutal in terms of endurance.

However, if you want REAL Veeky Forums fight styles then i recommend Muay tai, savate, sambo, karate, and Prankration (greek martial art revival)

Tae Kwon do if you got the jump coordination.

BJJ is fine, buts its overrated just a tad.

Boxing is more practical, but BJJ can be pretty fun, most practical self defense would be to CCif you're that paranoid and don't live in a communist state/country.

hmm, i'm from cali as well

Moved to Denver in 2015. been here ever since
>I'm from sac town, norcal :)

It's not that most places are bad, it's just that bjj is so popular there isn't room to stand up grapple at a lot of places. Then you have the sport jiu jitsu places that just don't care.
>savate, karate, prankration
Lol fuck off

>Learn boxing
>Learn how to stand, dodge incoming hits, stay on your feet, and throw a punch
>Apply to street fight
>Dodge incoming hits, throw your punch, win

>Learn BJJ
>Learn how to close in and roll around on the floor choking someone or breaking their arm
>Apply to street fight
>Roll around on the fucking cement streets, injuring yourself more than the other person, and probably get kicked in the teeth by their friends

Yeah nah. Stick with boxing.