QTDDTOT

What's the simplest strength routine to follow after SS/SL? I really don't understand all this 'lift at 50% on this day and 70% on that day'.

Other urls found in this thread:

fitnessavenue.ca/amstaff-fitness-df-3031-leg-press-hack-squat-machine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can I eat the same food daily? As long as I get all my essentials

GSLP
PPL

Does anyone have any history dealing with ordering from Fitness Avenue in Canada?

And does this look like it's legit (site and item)?
fitnessavenue.ca/amstaff-fitness-df-3031-leg-press-hack-squat-machine

Thanks. And what is typically the best PPL? Or most popular?

GSLP is a linear beginner routine. You're done with SS or SL when you can no longer make linear progress. You're fucking dumb

Do you have an answer for me then?

If you go through all the micro nutrients and make sure they are also balanced, sure. You'll probably get sick of it after about a week though.

I think texas method and 5/3/1 have about a billion apps each. Might wanna look into them, OP, since they might make stuff simpler for you.

Madcow, texas method, PPL

>I really don't understand all this 'lift at 50% on this day and 70% on that day'.
Are you fucking serious? @70% = using a load that is 70% of your one rep max ie. if you can bench 100kg then 3X10@70% means 3 sets of ten reps with 70kg.

If you've exhausted your linear progression and want to continue doing a strength routine then give texas method a whirl, don't forget accessories and cardio.

PPL isn't a strength routine. If you don't like TM then try PHUL/PHAT.

Bulgarian Method faggot.

Hey guys, is it worth me tanning? I'm a pale as fuck Ausfag, but there's still enough sunlight around to tan. Will it make me look better?

I could literally just put on some sunscreen and go shirtless when I'm doing my cardio.

How much will it improve my definition lads? And is there anything I should know to avoid cancer?

I ate a pound of chicken breast a couple hours ago, my pee is neon yellow. Should I be worried?

I'm fucking shit at OHP, someone give me some form resources and supplementory lifts

>And is there anything I should know to avoid cancer?
Don't tan.

Oh got it. How do I find out my one rep max. Do I have to experiment with this?

Pendlay rows fuck my low back.
What row variations are good for strength training? I do chest supported DB rows but I feel like the progress isn't optimal because the dumbbells only have 5 pound increments which means +10 pounds total minimum increment

Are you sure you've done SS? You were supposed to test your maxes when you first started it, but anyway:
>warm-up to a weight you know you can lift 100%
>add slightly more weight, try to lift it, if you manage that rest for a couple minutes and add more weight
>continue until you can't lift a weight, the last one you've successfully lifted is your true or tested one rep max
or
>warm-up to a weight you know you can lift
>try to lift it as many times as you can with good form and full ROM
>(number of reps/30+1)*weight you used = your theoretical one rep max

DB rows are goat and better than pendlay rows when it comes to pure mass, just make sure to use proper form.

solve the increment problem by going for rep progression.

Recently moved (now residing in middle of bumfuck nowhere, rent's cheap though) and the closest gym is a planet fitness and there's no squat racks/power cages only smith machines.

Heard smith machines will fuck you up for squats, is it the same for bench presses?
Would I be better off just doing body weight squats or buying a sandbag to play around with or something?

Im eating roughly 1300-1500 calories a day, is this too little? Or good enough if im after weight loss.

Guys: am I retarded? My bench doesn't seem to fit in my new power rack. Am I just fucked here? Is it bad to lift directly off the safety pins once I lock them in place? Pls help I have never used a power cage to bench before

Pendlay rows cover a lot more muscle mass than DB rows - what are you even saying here?

To the guy that asked: learn to brace your back.
Do both pendlay and DB rows.

Your back can take quite some volume.

Totally depends on what you weigh and how much you exercise. Use a calories calculator to get a rough estimate and make adjustments after about 3 weeks to see how your body has responded. Weigh yourself at the same time every day (maybe right after you wake up) and take an average of about 3 days since your weight fluctuates. So weigh yourself day 1,2,3 and compare that average to days 22,23,24.

Im 170 lbs eating at 1850 kcals lost more than 2 lbs in a week wtf. I'm gonna up the intake but really wtf?

>keep scraping knee caps and shins while deadlifting
>watch shit ton of youtube videos to correct form
>lower weight
>lift in front of mirror
>still can't lift with any weight on without banging my knees

It pisses me off to no end. Wtf is wrong and how do I fix it

You can't bench in a smith machine, the bar path isn't straight up and down. You aren't planet fitness's target audience, they cater to fat middle aged people looking to get minimal results from minimal effort. Find another gym. Even the local rec center is better than pf

>Heard smith machines will fuck you up for squats, is it the same for bench presses?
Yes. Smith machines are okay for some minor stuff like shrugs etc. but never use them for your main compounds especially as a beginner who is just learning proper form.

>Would I be better off just doing body weight squats or buying a sandbag to play around with or something?
A rack or, even better, cage is a complete game-changer and the best piece of fitness equipment - nothing can substitute it and any place that doesn't have a couple isn't a gym.

But to answer your question: either buy a cheap rack, decent bar and some weights of craigslist; drive out to a proper gym; do calisthenics (there is a BWG thread at all times on Veeky Forums go there for workouts) or get some DBs and do something like pic related. What you choose depends on your finances, commitment and goals.

How the fuck are we supposed to know. Depends on your weight, height, gender and activity levels, and wheter you're trying to lose, gain or maintain weight. Google "TDEE calculator" and you'll find what you're looking for.

Either I'm blind or pic is blurry as fuck. That's a bench with a weight rack? Yeah, those are not meant for power cages, you use the cages rack for benching. You should have bought just a simple stand-alone bench. For your safety I recommend selling/giving-away this one and buying a cheap adjustable or flat bench.

at the bottom position, open your knee angle and close your hip angle

I'm currently recovering from a back injury, I'd rather not load it with the explosive movement of pendlay rows.

>Pendlay rows cover a lot more muscle mass than DB rows
Only if you count lower back stabilization, then sure. But for upper back DB rows are proven to result in more stimulation because of the greater ROM.

What are you doing for warmup sets? OHP is the exercise that uses the least amount of weight so its possible that your increment from warmup set to working set is too small. Never add less than 15lbs between warmup sets. If you're doing the SS warmup and working with 85lbs you might think the warmup sets should look like this:

2x5x45
1x5x55
1x3x65
1x2x75
3x5x85

But actually you should do this:

2x5x45
1x3x55
1x2x70
3x5x85

Google form vids if you want but it's pretty simple, just squeeze your ass cheeks together and push up.

So try to bend my knees less and bend my back more?

>keep scraping knee caps
That's unusal, try getting your shins more vertical by bending more at the hips instead of the knees.
>and shins while deadlifting
That's normal, wear track-pants or high socks.

Anyone? Still peeing neon yellow.

the back doesn't bend, the hips bend

compare pic 3 which is what you're probably doing to pic 6

I'm a ham-planet that just started lifting. I've lost 80 lbs so far but I'm still so fucking fat that I can't squat properly because my stomach is in the way, are there certain forms I can use or should I lose about another half a person's amount of weight before continuing weight lighting?

Any suggestion on what routine to do next? Can I afford a 500kcal deficit or do I need to eat a surplus from now on?

Thanks m8

Being fat means lower test due to aromatization and higher insulin resistance. Both not great for building muscle. I'd recommend focusing on getting out of the obese range before trying to put on serious muscle, in the mean-time you could try PSMF and the low-volume, high-intensity lifting routine that goes with it.

What type of supplements should you take when camping to have cleaner shits?

I have the messiest shits and I don't want to deal with that when backpacking.

Better diet aside, what either supplements or foods can I eat before and during to have non-shit, shits.

You can buy dietary fiber.

The bench didn't come with it.
>you're supposed to use the cage's rack for benching

Jesus christ, why didn't I think of that? I'm so dumb about this shit sometimes. Thank you. What's wrong with my existing one tho? I can just leave the ass-end of it out of the cage tho right? That's unsafe?

So fiber makes your shit nice and clean with little need for using half a fucking roll to wipe, good to know.

yellows a fine piss color. did you take any pills or supps?

>doesn't understand percentages
>not intelligent enough to lift

>What's wrong with my existing one tho? I can just leave the ass-end of it out of the cage tho right? That's unsafe?
You could try to use it like that, but as I said it's probably unsafe, can't tell for sure from blurry pic, but sure looks like it. A nice bench (maybe go for adjustable like pic) is cheap, sell the one you have and you'll probably have some left over money.

It's not regular yellow, it's literally glow in the dark neon yellow. I returned to lifting after taking a break for adductor and biceps tendonitis this morning. Just took my Zinc, D3, B complex and ate the pound of chicken and had some veggies.

Why can't you turn the bench around to where the weight holders would be in the rack? So you can use the safety bars?

Not him, but that would be a pain to reset between using the bench and squatting/ohp. Plus the cross support of the rack would be in the way of the bench legs - that's an unstable base and could slip causing all manner of trouble. And that's assuming there is space.

He has to reset anyway no matter what he does. All he has to do is lift the bench out of the rack, and put the bench anywhere in the rack to avoid phasing his bench through the cross section.

I really really fail to see the problem here. A bench can stick out of a power rack while you're benching. No one should be around you anyway, especially in a homegym.

I've read thru the sticky a few times, and still am unsure about this one: I'm currently in the process of losingweight (at 168 down from 186, 5'8") am eating pretty clean, mostly protein and fiber... should i be lifting? i'm planning on starting SS tomorrow if the answer is yes, but if no.. what should i be doing? my main focus at this point is weight loss. i do cardio at least 4x a week, usually swimming or biking, sometimes hiking

As I said, it's hard to tell from the pic - only way to know for sure are better pics or him trying it: but it looks like the rack has bottom supports between the posts at the back - the bench legs would have to be on that (which is just asking for trouble) unless less than half the bench is actually in the rack. And it looks like the bench is too wide to fit anyways. And even if it fits: it's awkward as fuck.

Your BMI is around 25.5, if your FFMI is around 19, that would be a bf% of 25. In your shoes I'd lift on recomp.
That means eat maintenance calories - not losing or gaining weight. Your lean mass will increase and your bf% will drop in equilibrium. Gains will be slightly slower, but less bf% (within reason) is better in terms of test levels and insulin sensitivity (not to mention that it's key to looking good.) If you do SS: don't forget to add accesories as soon as you get a bit comfortable with the main lifts, just don't overdo it.

ok thanks for the reply man.. branching off of that, you think SS is a fine place for me to start, or is there a better program for fat loss + muscle gain? Definitely weak under this chunk, and I just assumed SS is more or less the default introductory program

Bench is too fat, won't fit inside.

Actually for now I have a separate standalone squatrack I use for ohp/squat (trying to get rid of it though, no need for both that and a cage really).

>plus the cross support is in the way
Yup, pretty much.

Thank you for the advice everybody - I am going to get a flat bench. I only recently got the cage and did all my movements with my squat rack and bench, so I never really knew how cages were meant to work (I don't go to the gym because I'm /r9k/ tier antisocial). Really glad I got the cage though, been doing weighted dips with an attachment on it and they're a lot of fun. Also very nice to have something tall enough to do weighted pullups on with my legs hanging, leg raises, etc.

B complex will turn your piss bright yellow

if youre backpacking, prunes probs weigh less

Honestly, Veeky Forums and other places like to constantly dissect the beginner routines and call some the worst thing ever and others gods gift to mankind: but they're ultimately all based on the same principles and all do what they're supposed to. None of them will get you jacked, all will get your from weak to reasonably strong in short order if done properly. All will fail to accomplish anything if you do them wrong. Some things to keep in mind for all:

SS:
>do the fucking accessories.
>be a bit conservative when either calculating or testing your maxes, at first you have shit form - the kind that inflates most lifts.
>up 3X5 to 4X5 or even 5X5 if you can handle it and go back to 3X5 once you are close to exhausting your linear progression.
>Cleans require great form, if you learn them wrong it's very hard to unlearn to the drilled patterns and learn it properly. Make sure to get instructed by a coach who knows his shit (many PTs know jack-shit) or a friend who knows how to lift.
SL5X5
>Once you have trouble progressing go to 3X5.
>Follow the deload patterns as specified on the site.
>Do your accessories.
GSLP
>The deload percentages seem a bit high for noobs who progress quickly but have inconsistent form, but that's part of the programme - what the fuck do I know.

Don't go into the "gotta eat big to get big" (just look at to see why,) a surplus over 500kcal does nothing for natties but short-term inflating your numbers a bit - the price is completely crashing your insulin sensitivity and test in the long run while requiring frequent cuts. You can recomp for a while as a noob. For you losing weight is a first priority - don't forget that while chasing lift numbers.

Pull ups, dips, leg raises, curls.

The take ages with testing in between. Can i pair them up?

Pull ups (rest 1:30) dips (rest 1:30) pull ups (rest 1:30) ect...
Same for curls and leg raises

Also, which is better? Hanging knee raises on a pull up bar or on the knee raise machine thing?

They take ages with resting*

>Actually for now I have a separate standalone squatrack I use for ohp/squat (trying to get rid of it though, no need for both that and a cage really).
Yeah mate; for space, money and pure logical reasons - you're best of selling the squat-rack and current bench and just getting a bench that actually fits in your cage. Cages are goat. Or you could open a fucking mini-gym, my fucking commercial gym only has 1 cage and 1 rack.

Don't do this shit if you want aesthetics, do PPL or something like that

how do you stop dizzy spells from deadlifts.

What you're describing are super-sets. And yeah it can save you some time: bench/row, OHP/pull-ups, leg curls/leg extensions, curls/skullcrusher are all classic combinations for that.

>Hanging knee raises on a pull up bar or on the knee raise machine thing?
You mean captains chair? Doesn't make much of a difference, pull-up bar variant is a slightly more demanding on your core.

Could be any number of things, make sure to:
brace properly
breathe properly
use proper form
lift weights you can handle
do your cardio, can't stress this one enough
eat properly, lift with some complex carbs beforehand
hydrate
make sure you're getting enough phosphorous, magnesium etc.
If all else fails, go see a doctor.

m8 buy wheat germ and put it on your cereal or in a honey sandwich
10/10 shits i guarantee

Yeah, checks out. Thanks. But hey, now I know about a cool party trick.

Is there any danger in reheating several different foods in the same container? For example, sticking my pasta, chicken, and carrots in one bowl and microwaving the lot for 2.5 minutes?

Avoid reheating stuff in plastic containers, even if they're labeled microwave safe.
Some foods shouldn't be reheated.
Once food is rehated it tends to spoil faster.

>sticking my pasta, chicken, and carrots in one bowl and microwaving the lot for 2.5 minutes?
No trouble with this, as long as the foods aren't spoiled beforehand, of course.

what do you bros think about bringing your own microplates (0.5kg) into the gym for exercises like OHP, bench, rows?

I have a pair of 0,5kgs in my gymbag. No-one bats an eye when I whip them out for ohp's and such.

If your gym has cheap equipment the weight variance will be so great that working in increments of 1kg won't make much sense. Unless you weight and mark specific plates and bars.

If it has decent equipment then they probably care enough to spend a couple bucks on micro-plates if you ask about it.

If neither case applies then sure, why not. It can help a bit occasionally with plateaus on OHP.

So I weighted 78 kg and started a cut on 1800 kcals. Had a fever and the first week I lost 1,3 kg. So I upped to 1850 kcals but still lost ~1,1 kgs. Should I try to eat 2000 kcals and see if I still lose weight (I'd like to lose 0.5 kg at most, since I'm losing some strenght).

Spot the pin setter

Thanks brehs. I've started gslp and am afraid of stalling too soon because I'm lean bulking. Will probably go buy some microplates tomorrow

wut?

Estimating weight loss precisely over the short term is a bit iffy due to weight variance (hydration, glycogen, bowel contents etc.) but 1.3kg per week comes out to 1.485kcal deficit per day and 1.1kg to 1.250 so your TDEE was around 3.285 the first week and 3.100 the second. That seems a tad high unless you do lots of cardio or work manual labour, a decent bit was probably down to variance, especially water if you cut your sodium and carb intake. For your weight 0.5kg per week would be an ideal balance between maintaining LM and losing fat, that's -575kcal per day.

TL;DR Eat 2500kcal if you cardio or manual labour, 2000kcal if you are sedentary. Try only adjusting after 10-15 days and measure yourself in the morning on an empty stomach to make sure you get an accurate estimate.

I started going to the gym pretty recently. I go at 8am to avoid people because I get very nervous and anxious in the gym. Today two girls were in the area I wanted to used for rear delts and curls so I actually just left because I couldn't make myself go over.

My question is if anyone else has had this problem and how have you dealt with it.

Just lift the weights faggot.

No one cares in the gym. Just don't be a fucking weirdo.

The gym is a safe-space of sorts, no one gives a fuck how obese or weak you are as long as you aren't pulling any creepy or retarded shit. Just get over it, it's a good place to make social gains (as in not being unfcomfortable and autistic around strangers) as well as physical ones.

Why don't I want a big chest? Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea to have a big almost overdeloped chest?

>Why don't I want a big chest?
Easy, just let me get my scrying crystal.

Also; don't worry - getting huge pecs takes lots of work, you won't get them accidentally.

Yeah I know I wont get them accidentally, also I'll work towards the body I want to acheive. Was just wondering if everybody like the big chest aesthethics

I did stronglifts 5x5 for a bit and got to 140kg squat, 105kg bench and 180kg diddy, then i went on a brosplit with my friend for like a year and made fuck all gains. What do i do now carry on with 5x5 like before ? or am i too strong for that now ?

i wanna get strong btw dunno why the fuck i bothered with fag split

See where your lifts are at, unless they've gone down considerably you're probably ripe for an intermediate programme. TM, PHUL, Madcow - whatever you feel like.

How do I change my pooping habits? I always have to poop on uncomfortable hours.

Going for mental gains here
I cant study for shit,
how can i convince my psychiatrist (im depressed af yo) to prescribe me adderall or something similar

Cool, will do. Probably gonna do madcow, just been looking it up.

Should I vary my calorie intake based on the exercise amount I am doing that day or should I average it out over the week?

People use both approaches. Personally, unless you are a professional or at least compete and put in hours of exercise with very large jumps in TDEE between exercise and rest day - I'd go with averaging it out. A slightly larger surplus during rest days is a good thing.

>A slightly larger surplus during rest days is a good thing.
By this I mean you eat the same amount of calories all the time, but on rest days you burn less so you have more left over for recovery.

i am currently cutting on keto diet with a deficit of 500 cals. my goal is to lose as much as fat without losing too much muscle. should i drop to a 750 cals deficit ? or 500 is good enough ?
if i can stay at deficit with just eating less do i still have to do cardio to lose fat ?

stats you dip, deficit aren't the same for everyone.

174 cm 100 kg been bulking for 1.5 years.
2/3/3.5/4.5

I went on the Texas Method split template. The original template is basically good for squats and everything else is an afterthought but the split template allows more focus on upper body, especially if you add in some isolations and accessories (there's nothing wrong with this despite rippetoe claiming so)

Here's mine for reference. It's customised for a press emphasis a la Justin lascek's template.

Mon:
Press volume (typically 6x5)
Paused close grip bench 3x10 (fucking love this exercise, underrated)
Weighted pull ups 3x5

Tue:
Squat volume (typically 3-5x5)
Snatch grip Romanian deadlift 4x8 (also a great exercise, just like regular RDLs except you get more ROM and upper back and traps get a hammering)
DB rows 3x8-12
Curls 3x10
Ab wheel 3xf

Thur:
Press intensity (currently 2x3 but moves from this to 3RM, then to 2x2 then to 5x1 then back to 2x3 again)
DB bench 3x8
Lat raises 4x10

Fri:
Squat intensity (same rep scheme as Thursday press)
Deadlift (same rep scheme as Thursday press)
Weighted pull ups 3x5
Curls 3x10
Ab wheel 3xf

Might seem needlessly complicated but it doesn't have to be in the beginning. Most of the intricacies of my routine come from my personal tweaks that fit my training preferences and my limited resources (home gym with limited space).

It's the best of both worlds, plenty mass sets in there and very good strength potential. Definitely would not recommend unless not bulking.

BF% would have been nice, but okay:
Ideally you want to drop no more than 0.1% BW per day for optimal muscle retention.
So for you that's 100g or 800kcal per day. 750kcal should be doable. Decrease volume by a bit and up intensity.

Keto is way, way overrated - you'll just be more miserable for dubious benefits.

>DL is 25% higher than squat.
What's up with that?

Okay, what is your question?

thanks for the reply man.
well i dont know my bf. but i am assuming it is around %20-22.
i am not doing normal keto. i am trying to do the piana keto lol. dont know if it is good or bad.
my legs are always have been my weakest point and i am sure it is genetics.

Oh shit didn't realise the subject of the thread. It was a response to OP.

Might as well ask something now. What is the actual point in foam rolling? Never heard a convincing reason of why I should bother with it.