Mental/Emotional Health Thread

So doctor diagnosed me with depression and anxiety, and wants to put me Xanax. Is there really no other way for me to feel normal? I turned down the drugs but I can go back and get them whenever I want, but I don't want to do that. However the feels have gotten to the point where I'm suicidal, I'm not sure what else to do.

Get on the drugs, user. If it doesn't feel right, play with the brand/type/dosage until it does.
You wouldn't let your blood pressure get so high that you risk a heart attack; this is similar

never give up, trust your instincts

MODS

atleast try them, the goal of meds prescribed for serious depression (like yours) is to treat for the short term and then eventually get off them when youre better. Youre smart for not just taking them blindly, xanax is a very dangerous drug. But when used responsibly It could really help. Also, do you run? Running and working out helped my anxiety/depression so much

use it only when you need it, i.e. when you're having panic attacks and need to keep from losing your shit in the middle of the workplace

This guy speaks the truth

thanks peppy

It's a shitty doctor if he just wants to give you Xanax for the first choice of meds. You need lexapro or zoloft and therapy. Xanax is great when I had panic attacks or lots of anxiety but I could never take them during the day if I wanted to function, I'd just fall asleep, plus you get addicted. Ssri help for the long term but therapy helps too. I was on efexor without therapy and after I was off of them the issues crept back. I'm on Lexapro now and taking therapy and I feel the most well adjusted in my life.

>Doctors refuse to prescribe anything stronger than SSRIs
>I haven't left my house for years
God bless the national health service

depression and anxiety and you got prescribed Xanax?

smells like bait to me ... you should probably be on a low-dose SSRI of 5-10 mg/day

how are your vitamin d levels? testosterone?

This will fuck you up big time
Another option is
>selling it
>make big money
>invest in self improvement
???
>cure depression and anxiety

Get your test levels checked. And get the nrs yourself dont let them tell you your levels are fine.
Just because its inbetween the min and max doesnt mean its right. Happend to me. Started test myself cause they wouldnt give me shit. It helped me personally but I had low test

was addicted to benzos once. Makes you fucking happy and you'll be banging bitches left and right.

On the other hand, geting off of it was the shittiest time of my life probably.

2016 was the shitiets year in my live. In personal and in carrier perspective. To that point I start hating everything - my choices, my friends etc. I was only concentrating in my failures, losing hope for a happy life. I didnt sleep well, I didnt eat much.
So I went to "DUDE WEED" it rly helped me, it was curing only the symptoms, but at least for me made me fill a little bit better. Now is new year I stopped smoking in, going to gym more often, trying to survive and not kill my self.

Xanax sucks because of the withdrawal symptoms and the fact that you will need to up your dose after a few weeks of using.

If I were you id beat your depression with your own abilities and self rather than with meds. You need to make a decision that you dont want to feel like that, sometimes you cant always seem to think of way to help yourself, but it will come. Im now off anti depressants and i feel 10x better without them. I started going gym, muay thai and eating right, im a different person, and now my creativity is back and im writing music again. Youve gotta start doing things that will put you in the right mood

Xanax is alot of fun but withdrawal can be lethal. Shit tier drug desu just pop some Molly.

You know what causes my depression? being a neet (quit job recently) living with mom
I just want a virgin girlfiend, my own house/apartment and a job I enjoy doing.

2017 is shaping up to be just as bad as 2016 for me. This was supposed to be /my year/ but I'm more mentally ill than ever now.

I'm considering therapy but I don't know if it's the best course of action to take as my parents use to shovel money towards it to no avail back in my teens.

I'd suggest reading into stoicism and similar philosophical systems to get some perspective and help you work through anxiety and depression.

That and regular, good cardio. Lifting helps me but going for a run significantly improves my mood for a day or two afterwards. Doing it regularly really helps.

Thoughts on anti-psychotics? I've been advised you should NOT take them unless you're a paranoid schizophrenic who hears voices and shit, but at the same time my anxiety is pretty bad and I'm all out of options besides suicide.

>pop some Molly
Only works for depressives desu

who cares tattletale

Get the Xanax, sell it, buy pre-workout, true antidepressants right there.

What's it feel like to be on Xanax?

citalopram master race here
that shit literally saved my life
in terms of """safe""" antidepressants this one takes the cake
Minimum side effects, but it success rates still vary from individual to individual
When you start life is going to be hell for two weeks
make sure you're in a safe and trusted environment for that time
just chill, play some vidya/ watch movies
whatever. Take 2-3 weeks off school/college/work
After that stuff will go uphill fast. Stay strong user

How did you not just fall asleep wherever you went?

>>>Veeky Forumsrules/2
>Relationship, dating advice, and "mental health" threads belong on /adv/.

That's fucking retarded because mental health is VERY important and should fall into "Healthy Living". You massive narc faggot

T H I S
H
I
S

TAKING THESE DRUGS WONT FIX YOUR PROBLEMS THEY WILL JUST MAKE YOU ADDICTED TO DRUGS AND MASK YOUR REAL PROBLEMS. THEY TREAT THE SYMPTONS AND NOT THE CAUSE
YOU SHOULD READ MORE ABOUT BUDDHISM AND SHIT MEDITATE YO LIFT AND DO SOME KIND OF SHIT

are you getting enough vitamin D? helps with anxiety A LOT. take 5000 nano grams or whatever they measure it in a day. trust me.

You don't want to be taking benzos, or any anxiolytics to be honest friendo. They help while you're on them, but then when you stop (and you'll have to), it's such a bad trip and you still have to adjust to sober life anyway, it's just harder.

Try undertaking something new, go to uni or something. It fixed my depression + anx.

Yeah this board used to be health and fitness. Not sure why that changed.

good choice on turning down the xanax. used to take 12 mgs a day and the withdrawls were worse than anything ive ever gone through. xanax is one scary fucker

DONT. Only use antidepressants and antipsychotics as an absolute last resort. Try to treat the root cause. These drugs are glorified chemical lobotomies.

psychedelllics my dude

this and psychedellics

>all these people acting so scared about prescribed meds

Jesus. Watch out OP. Big Pharma might come to collect your soul in the middle of the night too. Good thing you didn't take the meds that might actually help you feel better because of the giant wave of chemophobia in the new generation of kiddies.

ineffeective substances are ineffective

Medication doesn't resolve intrinsic issues caused by single motherhood

Sure, it doesn't solve the inherent issue but it helps get through it. Paired with counseling, it's much more effective.

How do you know they're ineffective? A lot of people respond differently to medications. Also I'm not sure why you would feel like your broscience diagnosis would be better than a medical professionals.

it is not, but there are shrooms being effectively used to treat depression nowadays with higher success rate thanstandard ssri medication.... of course when coupled with appropriate therapy

Fucking this. Your doctor sounds like a quack, OP.

SSRIs (Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) are first-line for depression AND anxiety. If the doctor is worth a damn, benzos will probably be considered only after you're relatively stable on an SSRI and still have breakthrough panic attacks. In that case, most doctors I've seen would keep you on the SSRI and give you benzos as needed only for breakthrough attacks (in that case, they'd usually dispense 15-20 per month, so choose wisely which attacks you feel are worthy of extra help).

Do antidepressants help you feel more motivated and eager to got workout. I've got depression and stopped working out. Will this help?

Lack of motivation and lack of enjoyment of things you used to like doing are common symptoms of depression. Whether or not you're truly depressed or these symptoms are arising from something else is up to a medical professional to evaluate. Talk to your doctor; depression screenings are pretty routine in any general practice.

What does it feel like when the antidepressants are working?

OP just start pinning test and you'll feel like a million bucks. It's an anti-depressant and will help with anxiety as well.