ITT: Veeky Forums memes you fell for

ITT: Veeky Forums memes you fell for.

I fell for the "that's too much volume, just do these compounds 3x5 and you'll make it".

I find it almost cruel that people here recommend strength routines for people looking to get jacked.

To get jacked first you need muscle, and you cant get muscle without a strength foundation

Why not build strength and size at the same time though? 5x5 on the main lifts and then 4x8-12 on accessories

Then do the compounds first but also do isolation work. It's impossible to not get stronger doing this and it's better than lifting lmao3plates diddys after some months but still looking like shit.

strength foundation and strength routines are complementary memes
fuck off and die please

that's the biggest meme out there, absolutely false

you can start lifting in higher rep ranges with higher volume right away and gain size and strength - you won't get adaptations as specific to lifting heavy loads as quickly, but you will gain more muscle and work capacity than you would with low volume 3x5 stuff which will translate to more gains later on anyway

besides, it's not like lifting with 4 sets of 6-8 instead of 3 sets of 5 will prevent you from progressively overload

What should I do instead as a beginner?

I know, I just meant thats important to perform the core exercises with focus on strength, I didnt say that you couldnt add accesories.

Reddits ppl might be a good example on an aesthetics-focused routine, but without forgetting strength. What I cant stand at all is those routines that tell you to perform 3x12 on every exercise.

Not listen to anything on Veeky Forums as the first step. They will lead you astray

>he hasn't built a strength base on a 5x5 routine and deloaded by 20% and moved onto 10x5 for compounds for maximum hypertrophy

do your 3 or 5x5 bench, squats, dl and ohp BUT ALSO add accesories with more reps.

Oh word idk when I started lifting I did like a 4 day split thing from some pamphlet I got with some protein I bought with a rep scheme of like 15-12-10-8-5-5 so ive never been focused on just strength and the army kinda fucked me on being able to lift consistently but ppl has been my favorite routine so far except I think I do more volume than is "recommended" but I'm out in 3 weeks and I have time to lift now so its nice

people I've met who did sl and got decent stats really quite quickly and have an alright physique: me

people I've met who did ppl or 5 day splits and have barely put 10kg on their bench over months of lifting and look exactly how they did when they started: a worryingly large amount of other people

I do 4x8 on my main compounds and 3x10 on accessories for no real reason other than that's how I like to do it, am I being retarded y/n

This

yeah, thats absolutely fine.

Depends on your body.

>There are people who don't include cleans,lunges and pullups into their strength programs
>There are people who don't include dumbbell pullovers,resistance work and isometrics into their mass programs

wew lad

>tfw this is what I plan to do eventually, almost purely for reasons of vanity

If I'm doing high volume work, I at least want the amount of weight to look decent.

literally fucking this.

I actually fell for that meme for a few months and lost athleticism, aesthetics, size, and mass.

I went back to focusing on one/two body parts per day and my mass, strength and gains shot right back up quickly.

If literally ALL you care about is how much you can squat, and you don't care about looks, athleticism, or mass, then by all means, get your ego boost by doing SS/SL so you can post pictures on your instagram of you squatting. But us real athletes train like animals with high intensity.

is this copypasta?

why would a competitive athlete ever not want to become as strong as possible instead of as big as possible? what are you even talking about, athleticism? all you'd then need to do is power cleans and snatches, not 3x12 sets of curls

It depends on the sport, but if you're not a powerlifter, then you're fucking up if you're doing strength routines.

>You don't need to isolate abs if you do squats and deadlifts

>Deadlifts will get your forearms big

>Gotta eat big to get big (I did 1/2 GOMAD and gained way more fat than I intended on my first bulk)

>Abs are made in the kitchen

Not saying there's no truth to those memes but I definitely overestimated them.

Most of those things depend on the person.
Some people get massive forearms and great abs without doing any specific work for it.
But some don't.

My entire Uni football team would disagree with you.

Not me. Feels bad man.

According to symmetric strength my forearms are one of my strongest muscles but people that have never lifted have bigger forearms than me. Finally starting to get some growth and vascularity after years of lifting though.

Don't go to that symmetric shit site.

Also no need to feel bad.
If you wanna improve something, just work on it.
Doing forearm exercises can be fun too, and people who have big forearms without doing them miss out on it.

I highly doubt they only do diddys, bench and squats.

Nobody here is saying to not to do them, but to not do ONLY them.

Wow.

can't get jacked benching the bar

you don't have to bench the bar

you can lift with more volume and higher rep ranges while still adding weight

GOMAD
Pic related

Yeah the problem is if I don't work them hard they don't grow.

If I work them hard my forearm and bicep will be aching every time I use them even in compounds. I've had to lay off of curls and forearms for a month or 2. Gonna take a 2 week rest here soon though, hopefully I can slowly introduce curls after that

ask me how I know you did it wrong

your first two points are moot because they require that you lift heavy
yes, you will get sick abs from heavy fucking squats and deadlifts, you have to
yes, you will get big forearms from heavy fucking deadlifts and the general testosterone increases that comes with moving BIG loads

GOMAD is for the skinny guy who never eats enough to allow for linear progression

and if you're so scared of gaining a bit of fat then you'll never make it

but most people on Veeky Forums can't even bench the bar

>Finally starting to get some growth and vascularity after years of lifting though.
how many years exactly?
and what is your deadlift at?

Probably not a good solution, but you can use straps on compounds and pull just with your back and not with your arms.

When do you do isolation/specific work?
On a seperate day or after your compounds?
If you do them on a seperate day, consider moving them to after your compounds.

strength routines are the most useful thing you can do with weight lifting period. Squat and overhead press+curl some heavy weight. It'll make you physically stronger. THEN it is a lot easier and you can do accessory shit like curl/press/etc 30-50 pound dumbell for almost 2 hours for vain things like swole forearms.

>people arguing for brosplits on Veeky Forums

no point in doing accessories

by the time your deadlift is at 4pl8 you'll be pretty happy with your forearms, believe me

PPL masterrace

They'll look okay but accessories are a must if you want them to look similar to a body builder on roids.

I've always done 4x12 while bulking except on shit like deads/squats to build muscle and 3x1-5 super heavy while cutting to keep my strength.

I end up putting on a good amount of muscle while bulking and lose none of my strength while on the cut.

I've had much better results with PPL and recomp diet instead of bulk/cut.

I can't imagine the amount of effort I'd need to put into squats and deads in order to get good ab work or forearms out of them. I'm past 1/2/3/4 at 160lbs at around 12%bf (5'7") and if I didn't isolate abs they'd hardly be visible. Last summer I cut most of the fat on my stomach and hardly had abs. I can see my abs much more at a higher BF now after doing isolations.

Cutting takes a lot of strength away and then it's an uphill battle again getting my strength back while I'm gaining fat again. It seems like taking a step backward every time. I got tired of it. Recomp working better for me. I've actually been losing fat and gaining strength at the same time.

Deadlift at 415. It took like 2-3 years.

I always do them after compounds.

>calories in/calories out is all that matters
>do every routine exactly as its written
>eating clean is unimportant for body composition
>anything under 2/3/4/5 is weak (yeah right)

Mike Mentzer was right all along. you are all fags and stupid. I literally added 1 plate to all my reps in 6 weeks and gained 7 lbs of lean muscle

did your chick just blow you? How was it? I hope it was cash.

what is a chick

>by the time your deadlift is at 4pl8 you'll be pretty happy with your forearms, believe me

post body so i know what i'm working towards

this

>fall for SS meme
>start doing compounds
>have SS approved coach
>destroy disk doing overhead press
>stuck doing yoga

kill me

how do people not improve on PPL? The only thing that can be annoying is doing OHP and Bench on the same day. You can hit all the major compounds twice a week and all the accessories you need, with the optimal amount of rest in between, as well as an active rest day if you feel like it.

boxers looking to maintain mass would like a word.

High frequency, moderate volume, moderate-high intensity

Bam, I just gave you the recipe for gains

this is literally what SS says to do lmao

Boxers train boxing, lots of cardio and endurance, the point here is that 3 exercises 3x5 3 times a week won't get you nowhere if you're not a powerlifter.

No, SS says to do only chinups/pullups and dips. I'm talking about more exercises, chest per example:

don't just bench press and do dips, but also flyes, crossover, incline bench... bench 3x5, dips to failure and the rest 3x8 to 12 reps

why though? those extra lifts will just tire you out and increase recovery time so you cannot keep up your weight progression.

when will people get it through their heads that as a beginner all that matters is reaching
2/3/4/5 plates as soon as possible?

and even these numbers are too low for a BBer

arnold lifted WAY MORE than this before he transitioned to bodybuildning

Most people just want to look good man, the weight they can lift being just a consequence.

If someone benchs only the bar okay, put the dude in a strength routine until he can bench lmao1plate, it will take 1 month maybe more maybe less, and then let him gain some mass.

Most people don't care that much to bench lmao2plates like they care about looking good.

but there is no way to gain mass without gaining strength

and the FASTEST way to gain strength is strength routines

it is literally fucking stupid as hell to go to the gym to waste time

how do you nerds rationalize this type of shit?

first you have like 30 WoW chars at level 999+ with every stat and item completely minmaxed to hell

then when it comes to your own body you go for a complete sub-optimal shit tier build? WHYYYY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>look good
>not bench 225lbs

Pick one

>be me
>suck at lifting
>shit form
>injury because of form
>all SS's fault

Wew

Tell that to the sadcunts doing SS, benching 2plates, squatting 3 and looking like they don't even lift while other dudes are lifting less weight and looking way better.

Also you will get stronger with a PPL routine, it's just not linear like a strength routine. The focus is what most people want: to feel better when looking in the mirror.

that is because 2 plate bench and 3 plate squat is something a beginner reaches very very quickly on SS

you are also wrong about some dude looking "better" with lower numbers.. no that just does not happen (unless the dude is very much shorter)

what does happen though is many many roid heads memeing in commercial gyms.. they do not do any of their actual lifts (heavy as fuck squats bench deads) in a commercial gym, they ONLY go to those to do fifty different variations of curls, or even fucking WRIST CURLS (kek), to further this fucking stupid meme
nobody looks bad with low bodyfat and 3 plate bench 4-5 plate squat 5-6 plate deadlift

>doing fresh OHP can do 1pl8 for reps
>doing OHP on PHUL and can barely squeak out 115 for reps

I don't know how to have the energy to get through a full workout. There's so much shit.

Nobody have to reach 2/3/4/5 to look good when they can reach this goal (aesthetics) by doing more volume, aka in less time overall.

this is where you are wrong. If you are training naturally (or if you are enhanced and tall) what you propose is actually completely unfeasible and will not work.

if you are enhanced by high doses, (and also you are pretty short) then yes you are more or less correct

Probably lighting and camera magic to make themselves look better than they are.

It physically doesn't make any sense for someone who can bench 2pl8 to look worse than someone who can't even bench 1pl8.

Muscles don't like, hypercondense at higher strength levels. Muscles tear and repair to grow bigger which can be done by lifting more and more weight.

hahaha enjoy your fucked spine

this is truly the best meme on /fit, i wonder whats the absolut total number of destroyed discs by the compound meme everyday.

I agree that someone will look great benching 3 plates and deadlifting 5 plates, I just don't think it's optimal for the average dude trying to look better in terms of strategy/time.

not really, the most aesthetic guys in my gym rarely lift hard and usually do some brosplit

i accept taking a more difficult path, because besides from looking good i want to be actually strong too

>mfw there are people doing only muh compound movements
>not hitting your arms directly
I wonder what went wrong.
Back in the day everyone trained whatever they wanted, mainly arms and chest because let's be honest, nobody gives a fuck about "them nice calves", but then around 2009 or so I noticed this stupid obsession about "doing them legs bro" "houw about legs man"
>muh compound movements bro
>no need to curls bro
>muh squats alone hit my arms enough
they all end up looking like shit, with skinny arms, big legs, big wide waists etc

Doing accessories in powerlifting is also important. Triceps, which lag for alot of people, help alot in bench. Biceps too, for controlled descent. It's just the rippetoe powerfat fags that think accessories are dumb.

What was said:
>There's a brief window when you start lifting where you can make rapid gains on compounds with low volume, but that changes once you adapt to it

What you heard:
>Do 3x5 forever, it's enough lmao