Have any of you actually "overtrained"? Or is it really just a meme?

Have any of you actually "overtrained"? Or is it really just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=73htR_-B-HI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Plitt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can do it, but the average Schmoe is so far away from training at that intensity it's laughable. If your body is shutting down, have a hardcore cheat day, an extra nap, and you'll be right as rain.

Its not a meme, but if you dont feel like you have the flu and want to die, you didn't overtrain

When I did oly lifting properly but also wanted to do some considerable accessory work I worked out 2.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the evening 5 times a week. All of this was heavy lifting only, and usually 1 rep maxes or up to 5 for accessories totalling about 20 hours of heavy lifting per week. I even did a smolov on the side and bulgarian training for a month.

After a while I stopped being able to fall asleep and I felt as i was constantly tired and also hyper. I laid off a bit and it got better. I started the same and it came back.

It is pretty annoying but you truly have to do retarded shit to get it. If you are on gear you probably have to lift 8 hours a day

best post on Veeky Forums today

I did to an extent.

>After a while I stopped being able to fall asleep and I felt as i was constantly tired and also hyper.
Felt like this.

>It is pretty annoying but you truly have to do retarded shit to get it.
Disagree.
It's pretty easy to do, even by lifting just 1.5 hours a day, 3~4 times a week.
Heavy squats and deadlifts too often, too heavy will get you there.

>Work out two times a day for two weeks.
>Week after that sleep for 16 hour every day.
There must be some truth to it.

its hard to overtrain with upper body training, its easy to do with legs

just squat and dl 3x a week at 75-100% and youll see

I have. It took 14 practices a week pushing 120 mins per session.

The first thing I noticed is that I couldn't produce adrenaline. I couldn't get my heart rate up, even at high intensity. Then I could fall asleep within a few minutes of sitting down, even after 20 minutes of warming up.

It took months of sleeping 12 to 14 hours to feel normal again.

From lifting no. Playing soccer in college definitely. Unfortunately, I didn't have the slightest clue what overtraining was, and I kept pushing as hard as I could which just made it worse.

Yes...

having no energy, despite getting good sleep
join pains
wrist pains

yah bro, its easier than you think, and not just some crap related to how your muscle wont grow.

Holy shit maximum keks

Overtrain isnt about feeling bad or weak, its about your TEST level in your body. If you work out really hard after so long you start to deplete your TEST and you need that TEST to build muscle.

Maybe its just crazy that the best fitness experts in the world say natty guys need to work out between 30 - 90 minutes and not more.

If you're natty and work out for 3 hours or more, please post pics so we can laugh.

youtube.com/watch?v=73htR_-B-HI

I work out for like 2hours then do core and sometimes grip, then stretching stuff for an hour.

You start to slow down mentally before physically. You can "overtrain" and still progress physically, you just need some extra willpower. Once you start to overtrain to the point of physical side effects then you have to deload and rest

Be natty and past intermediate stats and try telling me overtraining doesn't exist. Newbs think that their gains are going to stay linear are in for a shock once they get out of dyel mode

holy kek

Love how every normie news/lifestyle article on getting into shape includes a disclaimer about overtraining. As if the majority of Western Civilization were in danger of overtraining. Our health problems do not stem from our mostly overtraining - they stem from our mostly undertraining.

I was recently in Cuba. They are all in way better shape than us, and they live on like $30 a month and like, a kilo of government rice.

It's possible in the same way that it's technically possible to lick Scarlet Johanson's butthole

If you haven't over trained you're just not trying hard enough
>fucking gym hangovers
>the worst

holy shit

>overtrained

post of the year

are you d1?

Was higher NAIA. Definitely comparable to lower D1 schools.

I did, but not from lifting. I was a D1 sprinter in college, and in my junior year I pushed it way too hard towards the end of indoor season. I was tired all the time, even when I ate enough and my muscles would have this dull burning sensation the second I started running or lifting. Stretching and icing didn't help and I was stubborn so I kept running. I ended up tearing a hammy, it sucked.

My dad and older brother both got big dicks and I got stuck with the 3 inch soft 5 inch hard dick.

I can grow a full beard and apparently I have a nice face.

10/10

...Explain?

god this guy has all the charisma of the typical Veeky Forums browser

he tried out running a train a died or some shit like that

Gonna drop some broscience so bare with me.

>Overtraining
Training so hard that your body literally can't recover. The amount of exercise this would require is insane. For example doing a roider variant of GVT as a natty and not making any changes for several weeks. Basically, your body just won't be able to make any gains.

>Underrecovering
What most people call "overtraining". It's when you train hard, but don't recover properly. Not enough protein, lack of sleep, lack of calories, being a little bitch and not giving it enough time all have the potential to cause this.
So my answer is no; I've never overtrained. I've definitely had brief spouts of underrecovery though.

As a point of interest, there was one dude on reddit agesssss ago doing a roider program when his cycle ended for a few months. He'd been lifting seriously for literally years. but it was pretty interesting.

absolute classic en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Plitt

>say no more

i did PPL 6 days a week and suffered from a few overuse injuries

not really overtraining though

Yes.
I often go on hard training binges and do way too much for many months at a time.
2-3 hour hard workout sessions with little rest between each exercise. Not light stuff either as heavy as I can manage for 8-12 reps on various exercises.
Usually full body.

30+ minutes of nonstop tabata style calisthenics circuts every night

Would always end up completely fucked, depressed, angry, barely functional, and totally out of it for days and sometimes weeks.

nice blog faggot

Everyone forgets that TENDONS take longer to heal than MUSCLES.

If you over do training and don't deload you WILL eventually get a variety of tendonitis depending on what tendon gets worn out first.

i havent lifted seriously since september because of chronic tendonitis in both triceps and my left bicep and constantly re pulling my left hammy

im going to take a recovery peptide stack cause natty healing isnt working for me

For a lot of advanced powerlifters, it's really hard to keep a single exercise less than 30 minutes. Especially when doing volume. When I did smolov, some days I spent 2 hours doing nothing but squats. I had to wake up early on Saturdays, so I can go to the gym and not have anyone bother me in the power rack.

Please post your pics so we can laugh

I overtrained on texas method + rock climbing 4 days a week. Lower back wasn't recovering from deadlifts, finally stopped DL but not squats and ended up straining a muscle in my back. It probably wouldn't have been an issue if I had recognized it early and took a week off or something, but I kept pushing.

I got some elbow tendonitis too, but I think that would have happened anyway since I was new to climbing and did extra grip work on off days.

So then it exactly is a meme. Meme doesn't mean X is a myth or whatever.

It's like gyno. Gyno is a meme in Veeky Forums. Sure gyno is a real condition but in Veeky Forums 99% of the time posted gyno = high bodyfat

Yes, plenty of times

Can someone explain this

took me a sec but lol'd heartily.

fucking kekkkkkk

Plitt got run over by a train while performing push ups on a railroad

goddamnit

Under recovered.

He actually was trying to outrun the train

hoooo boy

i fucking feel for you man, i've had patellar tendinosis dince mid 2015 and its so hard to treat, and almost impossible to track progress. i've been trying to make returns to lower body work periodically but its never healed and i basically re start it every time. dont think i got it from overtraining though, more like i came back to training after a break at the same intensity

>this

overtraining manifests itself in my tendons before my muscles ever get worn out

im running reddit PPL for about 4 months now. i overtrained on it multiple time just because i wanted to push myself harder and do more exercises. its not a meme when you train 5,6 or 7 days

I seriously doubt you manage to overtrain that often in that short a time period. It's not exactly a short-term issue.

i have twice. never again. took me around 2 weeks to fully recover

During my last season of running cross country, training for the 5k every day plus heavy lifting caused me to overtrian.

did he?

Currently dealing with it now, I rode 180 miles on my bike last week and upper body/lower body until failure every afternoon when I got back from my ride. Went fine until the night of the seventh day, started feeling super shitty so I ate a whole box of hamburger helper and drank a couple beers with my normal post workout dinner, went to bed afterwords and woke up 14 hours later, more sore than I've ever been and feeling like I had a super bad hangover. Now I've had these huge cravings for carbs and have been barely able to get out of bed for almost 48 hours straight, also i'm super tired but cant sleep. This shit sucks.

It's not. I messed up my elbow really bad and had to wait for about 2 weeks to get back in training. Just don't be in the gym for more than 2 hours and you will be fine.

Yes, yes he did

I had/have the same thing.

Start with doing slow eccentric single leg squats on a decline board, when at the bottom stand up with both legs.
Go to knee angle of about 90 degrees and let your knee travel forward over your foot.
You should feel it, but it shouldn't be too painful, maybe a 3 or 4 on scale to 10.
Do as many reps as possible without going over the pain threshold.
Do 3 or 4 sets every other day.

After a week or two, take 2 rest days, and after that do them every day.

Another week later, take 2 rest days again, but after that *also* start doing squats without any weights.
Slow and controlled down, normal speed but also controlled up.
Do 3 or 4 sets and as many reps until your reach your pain threshold of 3~4/10, or 15 reps, whichever comes first.
Go a little deeper each day, until you reach full depth at the end of the week.

After reaching full depth on the bodyweight squats, take 2 rest days again.
Then start doing weighted squats in the gym.
Start with the empty bar.
Do 3~5 sets.
Controlled on the way down, knees tracking over feet.
Knees may come forward over toes.
Take 3 rest days after each squat session.
Increase the weight 5kg each session, until it gets moderately hard, then only go up 2.5kg each time.
If you wanna do deadlifts, only do light stiff-legged deadlifts or RDLs.
Don't do anything else that loads the knees, even bicycling (beyond what's necessary).
Walking is fine though.

The way to track progress is if you can follow this program while the pain stays the same, or ideally, gets less.

It's easiest to over-train when your body isn't used to the training.

If some skinnyfat normie looks up a random exercise routine they're gonna push themselves to do the full thing even if their body can't handle it. As well, squats and DLs will fuck you up if you don't have proper core strength.

I feel like everyone in this thread who claims over-training is a meme are people who are smart enough to space out their workouts, i.e. they don't work the same muscles every single day. I'm pretty confident that if you did e.g. biceps every single day you'd suffer from over-training before the week is out.

yes, story of mine, I thought over training was a myth
>love doing heavy compounds 3 times a week
>love doing squats
>add squats to every day
>love it so much I increase the days to 5
>all the while working at an intense job
>get sick, Dr. diagnoses it as chest infection
>take week off
>get back into it
>get sick again
>take week off
>get back into it
>get sick again
>take week off
>get back into it
>get sick again
>take week off
>get back into it
>get sick again
>ask Dr. why the fuck am I sick all the time
>he says it just happens
>this is the same Dr. that diagnosed me with a rare disorder after I told him I get heart burn
>he tries offering me a flu shot when I get better, seems really happy to do so..
>I do research and find out over training can lead to respiratory symptoms like chest infections
>stop training so hard
>haven't been sick since

got tendonitis somewhere in there which was also a few weeks off and now I can't put heavy loads on my wrists when my arm is out 90 degrees unless I have hammer grip
don't be like me, don't squat every day

It's basically impossible for the average person who weight trains 1 hour a day

Overtraining is something that people who do heavily catabolic exercise need to worry about: people who bike for 3 hours every day, they might become overtrained after 4-5 months without good nutrition and rest and too much intensity.

A person who lifts weights for an hour and eats a ton of food? No way...injury sure, overtrain in burn out your bodies capability to heal itself kind of way? Not a chance.

you have rhabdomyolysis you retard

patellar tendinosis is from not stretching
your hamstrings at their ends wrap around either side of the knee cap and then yank on the tendon when they are tight

they become tight after they have to do a lot of work

if you stretched your hamstrings and glutes religiously every day you wouldn't have PT

don't trust physical therapists. 99.999999% of injuries/pain when exercising are from being lazy about stretching.

wasnt there a guy on reddit who squated every day for a year?

>got tendonitis somewhere in there which was also a few weeks off and now I can't put heavy loads on my wrists
Fuck. Just got this too. Got my 240 bench PR and then the next day I could barely move my hands or use my wrists. They're basically fried at this point.

>don't trust medical professionals, trust me, an autist that browses a chilean bean counting forum

no idea, but I was also working in a job where I have to be moving constantly for 8 hours
I did forget to mention my workout was made by a PT and every exercise was to failure for the last 3 sets
you probably could squat every day if its not to failure and you're not doing anything else

rest + take ibuprofen for the inflammation, don't even use the keyboard, just chill and watch tv or something

That's probably a good idea. I have some Robax. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks user. Would like to be able to bench normally again.

I've been doing a full body workout plus 10 mins of mid intensity cardio 3 days on 1 day off and repeat for about a month now.

I'm sore a bit more often but I figured it was just the extra strain on muscles

Eating well at 2300 cal and 260g protein

How long can I stay like this before I fry my CNS?

>It's easiest to over-train when your body isn't used to the training.
Nope, it's the opposite.

>I'm pretty confident that if you did e.g. biceps every single day you'd suffer from over-training before the week is out.
That's not overtraining.
It's also perfectly possible to train biceps every day.

>patellar tendinosis is from not stretching
While stretching can help, patellar tendinitis often occurs due to other reasons.

>your hamstrings at their ends wrap around either side of the knee cap and then yank on the tendon when they are tight
Blatant bullshit.

>if you stretched your hamstrings and glutes religiously every day you wouldn't have PT
Also bs.

You could do squats every day while working an intense job.
You would just need to manage fatique.
This probably means low intensity, low volume, and not much benefit over squatting twice a week.

I overtrained with pushups when l first started
4xF everyday, no DOMS but after day 6 my arms completely stopped working, l couldn't even do 3 pushups
This went on for a month or so then l learned my lessob

Fuck you user that was clever

Guy tries to outrun a train

>260g protein
LOL Keep it up bro, beast mode

Fucking bastard, made me realize I'm a piece of shit for laughing at this.

Thats very bad

Its a fucking meme. 99% of this board doesn't go hard enough in their training.

I have a habit of going all or nothing.

>itt faggots injuring themselves due to incompetence and/or negligence and labelling it as overtraining

There are probably 2 or so legit cases here but the majority of you are fools.

Nah, that's not what overtraining is. Overtraining would be weights and cardio every day totalling 2 hours for several weeks. It's a cumulative effect, and it takes time to recover.

You should use your obvious expertise to point out the actual over trainer's and help them

>tfw haven't been eating or sleeping well lately
>See this thread
So I shouldn't go workout in a couple hours?

HE WASTED SOME FINE FOOD WITH THAT STEAK

I worked out once a day in 1.5-2 hour sessions each day of the week one time when I was in a very depressed state. I had a home gym with only a bench and some dumbbells at the time so I could only work on the same part of my body every day. By week three it was very obvious something was wrong with my body. I could feel pain in my arms, like what you should feel at the end of a good workout session, just after doing the first few reps. I took a few days off and settled down to five days a week instead. Made some killer gainz at least.

do squats

You can still train with it, try to control symptoms rather than getting completely rid of it.