When did you guys realise that

When did you guys realise that

dumbell bench >>> barbell bench

For hypertrophy

Other urls found in this thread:

suppversity.blogspot.ca/2017/02/bench-press-study-higher-weight-less-of.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Excellent argument.

when i had better chest than 99% of benchers because of weighted pushups from home

Greater range of motion
No imbalances
Don't need a spotter
Work your stabilizer muscles more

> 95% genetics
> 5% other crap

I rarely do db bench, and I have a better chest than most of the guys in my gym.

Can lift way less weight

Thank god for good chest genetics, it's second to height genetics, which is second to face genetics.

>ego lifting

Is there any reasonable argument against just doing both?

Idk man. I do incline dbs with flat barbell. Then after a few weeks I do flat dbs with incline barbell.

I do both

frame genetics >> chest genetics

Everyone knows this. Barbel bench press is a meme exercise for powerlifters that only care about getting the highest number possible on their meaningless PR.

The range of motion for barbel is laughable and the possible imbalance in muscle development means only literal retards still do barbel bench.

Anyone know the best way to broaden shoulders? Is there any good lifts or just general shoulders, traps, chest?

>Anyone know the best way to broaden shoulders
break your bones and pull them away from each other while they heal so that you have longer bones.

wide pullups in puberty

if that's not an option just do a shitload of shoulder work, roid if you actually want to see gains

wouldn't call barbell press a meme exercise but dumbbell press is far better that much is true.

Hypertrophy isn't the only goal for a lot of people. Most body builders do bb and db bench anyway.

Gotta make sure your posture is correct. Rolled shoulders make your frame look smaller, so do face pulls and rows. Other than that, just work the shit out of your delts, and do some traps so you don't end up looking like the iron giant.

Taking the bait, but there are several reasons you still "need" to barbell bench even if your only goals are aesthetic.

You will not continue to grow a muscle if the amount of weight you use never changes. You can only add so much volume. At some point the weight has to go up for you to accomplish this.

And queue barbell bench press. It will increase your pressing strength which will let you do other exercises that better recruit chest with more weight.

There is also a point you'll hit where you're already hitting the max amount of practical volume wth 100lbs dumbells, likely don't have specialty ones handy heavier than that, and simply switch over to incline wide grip barbell press as your primary assistance.

There's also an entirely different style of barbell bench pressing other than elbows tucked powerlifting style. Bring the motherfucker down right above your nipple instead of your sternum and tell me it doesn't work chest.

The stability of a barbell does a massive amount of work for just about any lift.

The only exception is squats, where the weight rests on your back regardless of dumbell/barbell/kettlebell.

Considering that once you start benching heavy it begins very effectively recruit your delts, lats, and triceps, I would say dumbbells are only better to a point.

Even Rippetoe says dumbells are better

Veeky Forums BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe, pg. 68, Starting Strength
...the dumbbell version of the exercise...is probably a better exercises for most purposes other than powerlifting competition.

>suppversity.blogspot.ca/2017/02/bench-press-study-higher-weight-less-of.html
Dumbbells are better until a certain weight on bar

Most gyms have dumbbells that go up to 150lbs. If you can do 10 reps of 150lb dumbbells then you probably arent lifting for aesthetics at that point.

how much do you bench?

Most of the commercial gyms I've been to max out at 100. But if the gyms you've been to tend to go up to 150 that's great and who am I to argue

BUT, I'm not a yuuge bencher by any means (305 max) and still I can pick up the 100's and bust out a couple sets of 10 and I never touch them. Why? Because I barbell bench press.

While you might not need to get to the 150's to hit your aesthetic goals, you will progress toward your own goals much faster if you work on your strength as well as your hypertrophy.