Scoliosis

Get in here bros

Talk about lifting with scoliosis. What helps, what doesn't. If you've had surgery or not.

Might have to get surgery, my thoracic curve is 30+ and might start fucking shit up, but I don't want to give up activities etc.

I have a slight scoliosis, first it was 12° but after a year of physical therapy it went to 8°. Might have been me getting my second growth spurt. This was all when I was 15-16 I think

Jealous, what sort of physio did you do?

thoracic curve, right, 37°, vertebral rotation. as with most curves, my lumbar and cervical spine are also somewhat affected. my pelvis is affected as well.

i opted out of surgery. i didn't want to give up strenuous physical activity. i'm still happy with that decision.

the scoliosis actually impacts my lifting a fair bit. i get fatigued faster on my right side during deads. the bar sits higher on my right side during squats which causes unequal loading on my lower body during the movement. i can't really get flat on the bench because of how fucked my scapula are. i retract as much as i can but i still don't get a great surface to bench off of. i can't bench on narrow benches at all since there isn't enough surface area for my back.

then there's rounded shoulder, arm length discrepancies, leg length discrepancies, etc.

still look good naked doe.

Search for Functional Patterns, I really think it could help you.

that picture makes me feel really weak

You can make it go down?

My lower back is 16 degrees, which is apparently not bad at all.

Scoliosis in my low back, hasn't effected my lifting too much, although my squat and deadlift have always been awfully similar

Iktf for almost all of that, especially the rounded shoulder and issues with bench form. Fucking hate that, at least gains hide that and you can still get mires

42°

do everything except limit my squat to 225 lb

Thanks will do

Yeah seeing used to fuck with me a lot

If it's not functional no, you live with it or have surgery

What degree?

Thoracic or lumbar? That's impressive regardless, any pain?

>tfw if get ripped and ill still look fucked because my bottom left rip pokes out

Also for some reason I have much more muscle mass on the right side to the point that when i bench my right arm goes up while my left arm struggles.

I wish i could remember how much the rods and screws weigh so i could work out an ideal weight.

I also recently started dead lifting more and i could actually feel the muscle in my upper back moving, which i havent felt anything there since after surgery

Wait you had surgery? How was it? Does it affect exercise?

I had the surgery. Twice actually, once when I was 17, then I slammed on the ground in a freak accident a year later. One of the rods slipped out of the housing and I had to have a revision where they went down even further. That was 10 years ago.

My surgeon said I can do anything I want, lifting wise, but I'll never play full contact sports.

I don't squat, but I do deadlift (lmao3pl8) and bench (lmao2pl8)

>The scoliosis is convex to the right, apex at T12. Measuring from the top of T5 to the bottom of L2 it measures 42.3 degrees.

As long as my back is not fatigued, I have no pain. If I work my back hard and sit with bad posture i'll get some aching and need to lay down for a couple minutes. I've learned that generally back pain = muscles overworking in the area (posture is bad/engage core more). People are always in disbelief when I say that 42 degrees gives me no pain. The stronger your back is, the less pain you'll get

Extremely slight scoliosis which is apparently too minor for me to get X-rayed and treated, but still fucks me over immensely. I can't lay on my side while falling asleep because my ribs start to hurt, so I fall asleep on my back. Then I wake up like 2 or 3 times every night and shift onto my side before falling back asleep. Fragmentation means even with 9 hours a night I feel like I got no sleep. It's a living hell and I literally have no idea how to escape this

Its pretty much like this, t2 to t12 are fused with 2 titanium rods than then where covered in bone by using those "knobby" bits on the top of your spine

I can't rotate at all, outside of lower back and obviously bending my upper back is impossible.

When I had it at 18 the Dr said i had to lay for sports for a year and i could do them after

your ribs and pelvis are normal now? Honestly I would consider surgery just to have a normal body, is the mobility that bad? Would you recommend it? Not going to act solely on your opinion, just curious

Also when it was done it was crazy dizzying when i frist stood up because of the curve i grew 10cm within that day, the shame of it is its still curved so i'll never be my true hight which is bullshit because im 2-3 cm short of 6ft...

Damn, that's crazy, what were your degrees before? So besides squats would you say your quality of life has improved? Also what curve is still left? It looks totally straight?

That's impressive, some Lamar Gant shit, I can definitely see what you mean, doing stuff like rows feels so good

Because mine is all upper back my pelvis was unaffected, atleast i didnt noticed anything, and beside my left ribs sticking out more by 1-2cm i havent noticed anything else.

as for mobility, if i stand with my arms out and twist i cant even make 90degress its around i want to say 60-maybe 75 degrees.

as for bending forward, i'll never reach my toes without bending my leg and bending backward is just impossible.

As for recommending it its hard to say its based on if you other other options. Just remember once you get that initial burst of height from the operation, you wont grow any more.

stretch more fgt

That picture is just similar to what i had done, i have no idea where my xrays are, i cant remember the original degrees but i think it went down to 12degrees, im honestly not sure it was like 7 years ago.

personally it was well worth it for me, i spend over 2 years before mum noticed it with chronic back pain, even sitting down was painful just from a constant ache.

Alright, good to know. I'm nervous it'll interfere with lifting and other activities but if it gets rid of pain I totally get it

I've heard after surgery bench goes down because you can't arch your back for the proper form, can anyone confirm? If so what other exercises do you do for chest?

>Surgery is getting two bits of rebar nailed to your spine so you can't bend
WELP
I guess I'm going to be a bent over old man.

There's also some new shit called VBT

Bumping