The problem with Death

Hello Veeky Forums, how do you deal with the knowledge of your own and others mortality? I can't deal with it, I wake up in the night, jump out of hte bed and scream. I fear oblivion. It is not death that I fear, it is the end of my life that scares me.
When I see people, I see a clock running out of time, I would like to hug other people, so that they remain here and do not die.
Ceasing to exist is such a terrible fate, that I can't stop feel terror in every moment in my life.

Other urls found in this thread:

pnas.org/content/early/2017/08/07/1700866114.
youtube.com/watch?v=0Yn2uyQJ1jc
youtube.com/watch?v=kKmdc2AuXec
wallstreetpit.com/113170-anti-aging-pill-on-the-horizon-human-trials-this-fall/
youtube.com/watch?v=GoJsr4IwCm4
youtube.com/watch?v=C25qzDhGLx8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You never die, you just pass from different states. Yes, your body will die, but you won't die. Realizing this gave me eternal bliss and calm. You can do it too OP.

I'm not spiritual and I need proof for all things, so maybe it helps you, but I can't belief.

Once you accept your own mortality, you appreciate what life is left to you that much more.

I know this to be true, i don't believe it.

The thought of having something live on after me makes the feeling less painful. Make something. Children, art, writing of some kind, even just a fond memory in the people around you that they might pass onto others.
If all else fails go commit an atrocity and you'll be immortalized.

once you grow older you start to wwlcome the idea

you won't stop existing. the bits that are you will just take another million aeons to get into some configurations that have any agency over anything.

Does this have any ground at all?

Life itself is valuable, I don't appreciate life because it is limited, I enjoy life and existence for itself. It's not death taht gives life its wonder, it is yourself. Death takes everything from you.
What does it help Alexander the Great personally that he has conquered an Empire? He is no more, I gain no peace in memory.
Nobody can tell what the future will hold, but I don't think I want to kill myself. To age is some thing bad as well, fortunatly I'm young enough that many age-related disaeses might be cured, so I have not to fear this so much. Still, to see people in pain because of age does make me now quite doleful.

It is literally impossible for you to experience death, this is the whole idea behind the schrödinger cat paradox.

Don't get stuck on a redditor's logical process, it is very much accepted that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and most scientists agree that extra-dimensional or out of this world matters are literally impossible to prove or disprove, which is the real reason nobody serious does research into it, even tho it is very widely accepted and believed that there MUST be alternate versions of the universe, and things outside of it.

>Life itself is valuable, I don't appreciate life because it is limited, I enjoy life and existence for itself. It's not death taht gives life its wonder, it is yourself.
Yeah, and accepting your own mortality puts that into perspective.

>Death takes everything from you.
As a loving being, sure. Not as matter and not your impact on those around you and your posterity. Did Shakespeare's legacy simply vanish in a puff of smoke with his last breath? Was he so unmourned and unloved by anyone that his death passed by unnoticed even by his family?

get off my Veeky Forums faggot

>Yeah, and accepting your own mortality puts that into perspective.
How? Death is an evil, not because of the death itself - a condition in which a person simply does not exist anymore - but because of what he robs us of.

This is very much Veeky Forums. The philosophical question is: What should one look forward to the prospect of his death: with terror, with care, with indifference, or with relief? The most difficult and philosophically interesting question is the one about our attitude to death, if death is the end. Is it bad not to exist anymore?

I welcome it. And I can't wait for it to happen

Ya, I feel like I'm just waiting for the sweet release of death so I can go to hell allready.
Not suicidal in anyway, life's great, but the lose of it doesn't bother me..

You don't fear death. When death is here, you are gone.
What you fear is the loss of thought and memory. And that can happen long before your body dies....

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

Why do you crave oblivion?

Aging is even worse

There's a problem with death?

Your life depends on it.

What precisely is scaring you? The complete void after death? If that's the case there's really nothing much you can do about it. You just have to realize that mortality is inevitable and that sooner or later you will die. But that's ok, everybody dies and everybody is scared of dying, you just have to take it easy.

Get rekt then

First about, death is change. You can experience ego death in several ways in this very life which is the closest thing to death.

Second, most modern peoples are scared shitless by death due to the void the have product of shallow materialism, hedonism and the unnatural lives they carry. As Kazcynski pointed out, traditional peoples live a cyclic life passing by stages, growing up, having kids, etc, so they are humanly realized and so they don't need to fear death nor wish to be eternaly young and alive. They did their cycle, now they can pass on without worries

Third, if you are a full blown blind materialist, then there's nothing to do. Until you change your perspective, of course

*inhales* If the linear flow of time is a conscious construct, when you die, time is no longer linear. Your life will be like one portion on the great timeline of the universe. There'll be no hanging around consciously thinking about this, everything and everywhen will be then. *exhales*

>What precisely is scaring you? The complete void after death? If that's the case there's really nothing much you can do about it.
Maybe there is a way to escape death: pnas.org/content/early/2017/08/07/1700866114. It's my only hope. And because everybody dies, doesn't make death any better.
I appreciate your point of view though.
I'm Transhumanist, so... Ted is my exact opposite.

how high are you?

Think of yourself as a rational being that learned something while existing, with the thought that it will only multiply your understanding of what the consequences of your actions represent in reality.

Do not fear death, it is only a process.

the idea of absolute nothingness is comforting to me, i'm personally terrified of reincarnation. it seems rather implausible that everything just ends when we die. this causes me anxiety, and tbqh is one reason why i dont just kill myself (the other being that i dont see what the rush is since ill die eventually anyway).

who else scared of reincarnation here. i dont want to return to this pointless existence over and over and over again. thats fucking horrifying

>it seems rather implausible that everything just ends when we die
What happens to a moscito when you crush it? Where is she now I tell you where she is, she is sticking on your hand.

whatever consciousness was attached to that mosquito probably (imo) persists in some way. but i wont insist on it or debate this point not in the mood tb'h lad

Watch this film. It will answer nothing.

The worst about death is our helplessness against it.

>Transhumanist

Ah, a special brand of retarded

...You are worshipping a schizophrenic murderer, not I.

>I jump out of bed and scream
Please film this.

Yes.
Have you ever seen a tree decompose over a few years?

As a disgusting person once said: I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying. I don't want to live on in the hearts of my countrymen; I want to live on in my apartment

Boltzmann brain? But this Boltzmann brain won't be me, it will just be a copy of me. Theoretical.

>implying death will be a problem in a transhumanist society
At the rate technology is advancing I highly doubtful death will be an issue in the coming decades.

Hopefully.

>At the rate technology is advancing I highly doubtful death will be an issue in the coming decades.
And will that be before or after flying cars?

Well, we already have flying cars, so obviously after.
youtube.com/watch?v=0Yn2uyQJ1jc

My advise, if death comes, don't be there.

That's a roadable aircraft, not a flying car. Show me something that doesn't have wings and we'll talk.

>Show me something that doesn't have wings and we'll talk.
A hot air balloon on wheels.

I plan to immortalise myself in history, live out my years for others and have the comfiest life possible when I'm old and tired.

Also a lot of people might die in the process but it's for the good of man.

>*gets run over by a car tomorrow morning*

Well, if it comes it comes.

YOUE FEAR HAS CAUSED THE RISE OF CIVILZATION. IN DENIAL OF DEATH, WE HAVE CREATED A WORLD A SYMBOLS TO ESCAPE THE BITTER TRUTH. FOR, WHO IS THREE WORLD, IT WON'T HELP YOU. YOU ARE ALONE IN YOUR DESPAIR AS WE ARE ALL. BUT FOR THE NOOSPHERE, YOUR LOSS IS ITS GAIN. CHERISH IN OMEGA.

I'll remember him so there's that.

user is now on the news.
What have you been doing with your life?

I'm looking into having myself cyronically preserved. I want to see the future.

It's not death that I'm afraid of, it's potentially dying in extreme pain. I just want it to be quick and painless, like in my sleep, or being blindsided and turned into a pink mist by a tractor trailer.

I would install my conciousness into a main frame

no that's not what I was getting at at all

Don't worry, you'll see it tomorrow.

Think about how there can be fates worse than death. See death not as a permanent black oblivion, but as a permanent slumber. You dont freak the fuck out when you go to sleep ebwn though its the same fucking experience as death (you are there, then all of a sudden everythings black and you have no consciousness, until REM kicks in of coarse). Imagine being the most tired you've ever been, when you truely desired rest, there are times in life where ypu might desire death like slumber. Gilgamesh experienced a simaler situation. Something to think about OP.

It's called immortality through legacy. You pass from a conscious state to an unconscious state, an eternal sleep. Little people disappear into oblivion without a trace. Minor people leave a mark on history. Major people establish institutions that carry out their will even after death.

Personally, I came to adulthood on Veeky Forums back before all this mass /pol/ faggotry when /b/tards were pretty nihilistic and liked being anonymous introverts, so I don't really have issues with fading into oblivion. But I'm going to do that anyways even if I keep living. Might as well try to enjoy the waking hours before sleep, the same way I stay up to 4am browsing the internet because I feel like it, not because I'm afraid of sleep.

Death isn't like sleep, it'smuh cruel. I would never go to sleep if I would know that I will never wake up. And also in sleep I can yet dream, in death I can't.
As we are all individuals with different disposition, there might be fate worse than death, but for others there might not be.

Sleep is discontinuity of consciousness. You don't go straight from being awake to concious dream state to being awake. By the standard of continuity of consciousness, you die. What persists is your experiences, values, and will, from one waking iteration of yourself to the next. Have a kid, try to live with your kid, impose your will on your kid, tell your kids stories of your life, so your kid carries on your values and your will to the next generation. In that way you won't die. Destroy your kid's sense of individual ego and impose your own ego as superego. That's how you live on. One day your body never wakes up to form a new consciousness for the new day. Your will will manifest in your kid, and that new consciousness built on your values will awaken in your kid's body.

...You would be a terrible parent.

>Muh leagacy
What a load of shit

I disagree.

You mean drones? There's a real possibility of limited range automated people carrying drones in this decade

Epicureanism is the key.

>be immortal
>go crazy
>experience the end of the universe
wow great stuff

"The fear of death is the pretense of wisdom." - Socrates

Get over your conceited self OP, death could be the greatest blowjob that never ends. You don't know.

Your fear is a manifestation of your groundless certainty. Accept that you don't know, own it, and perhaps decide to fight with all of your being to know. Fuck that Miltonian "Be lowly wise" shit

Who cares life is ultimately meaningless lol

Can anyone tell me if my Latin is correct from what I know?

Does the sentence in this pic say "And death is infinite"?

I'm against research into hypothetical immortality because I know who all will be the first to get it; the rich.

Do you think that when this breakthrough occurs, the common person will be able to afford such a treatment? No, it will be the corrupt world leaders and the billionaire CEO's that will take this technology. I doubt if even the people that come up with such a procedure would be able to enjoy it.

If we do indeed make such a breakthrough, it will lead to the indefinite rule of tyrants.

Actually the cost will be quite low thanks to CRISPR. You don't need to be a millioanre to affort it. I'm for life extension research for it eases firstly the pain of aging and may cure it even. I also think that the units a society consists of is too complex to give an easy answer. People in the 70s thought that computers would lead to a dystopia instead we live in this crazy times.
This video gives a good outlook, how society may respond to this achievment.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmdc2AuXec

In addition to what . CRISPR is not the only anti-aging stuff being done at present. wallstreetpit.com/113170-anti-aging-pill-on-the-horizon-human-trials-this-fall/
These probably went into human trials last fall for example.

Et sic in infinitum means 'and so on to infinity'.

Is OP 12

Where death waits for us is uncertain; let us look for him everywhere. The premeditation of death is the premeditation of liberty; he who has learned to die has unlearned to serve. There is nothing evil in life for him who rightly comprehends that the privation of life is no evil: to know how to die delivers us from all subjection and constraint.

just eat sum ass
we all die
there is only darkness
there will only be darkness
there was only darkness to begin with
i want to die

“Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.”

its still not true. you can claim it but it does not reach fact for us without solid replication. these are weak words for a weak spiritual man.

I'm not against research that will lead to less painful aging, so long as the length of life isn't extended substantially.

Overpopulation is already an issue, what are we gonna do when people just stop dying as often and also keep making babies for longer periods of time? We'll implode in on ourselves.

Why die?
youtube.com/watch?v=GoJsr4IwCm4
youtube.com/watch?v=C25qzDhGLx8

Necessary for what?

Bitch, you were dead for 13.8 billion years, how much discomfort did it bring you? Faggot.

I don't fear death. I fear the loss of my life.

By not having a shit worldview.

What would be a good worldview in your opinion?

And what if a huge meteor hits earth tomorrow and earth ceases to hold life? Lol so much for your “legacy”

You clinging to something that you know will end will do nothing but cause you misery. If not now, then later.

It may not be easy, but if you learn to accept things that you cannot change, your life WILL improve.

Accept that you will die, and you will conquer death itself, the eternal constant.

I can't accept death, if I die all is gone. I fear it very much. I stare into my room, stare at the darkness, imagine myself to be a old man, I look at the wall. This is the final moment. I just feel terror, such terrible terror. My heart stops beating, something hollows my body.
Because something is, it does not mean it is good. And I'm not capable of ignoring death, I can't make it a problem for later.
Maybe we do live in the worst of all worlds. The terror is waiting, all beauty, all thought, all knowledge destroyed. For what? For what?
I hope that I live forever, I must live forever.
We all should live forever and be happy.

Op, not living because afraid of dying. Every moment you spend fucking off is squandering the every shrinking finite thread of time you have left. 21 years old, well, you've wasted a little over a quarter of your life so far. So, what are you going to do about it? Get off your ass and change your path so you don't waste the next fifty years.

Do you really need to be such a faggot about all that? This gay prose on the op and through the thread is pure cringe shit.
Go write a book and get money from similar-minded babies. You have the 'style' that's needed.

>Do you really need to be such a faggot about all that?
Where do you think we are?

50 or even a 100 years aren't enough, there is so much to do. I can see where you come from, but life is only of value as long as it exist.

>I hope that I live forever, I must live forever
This is how a villain is born. I will do anything in my power to stop you from achieving immortality you demon. Your end is inevitable and it is me

>And I'm not capable of ignoring death, I can't make it a problem for later.

You shouldn't ignore it, that will only cause misery for you in the future.

What you really need to do is sit down one afternoon and just contemplate mortality. Tell yourself,

"This body will die one day, there is nothing I can do to stop this. I accept that I will one day die. I accept that I am not the only one that will die. I accept that the entire universe will one day expire."

We're all going to go together, some of us will just take a little longer to get there. You Haven't been singled out to suffer this fate, to one day expire is a rare mark bestowed on the very few that actually get to experience life. And yes, it is only a few that get to live.

Live like you will die. Be a part of the club.