Would any individual be able to get used to being immortal?

Would any individual be able to get used to being immortal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kKmdc2AuXec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Would any individual be able to get used to being mortal?

The moment we get immortality will be soon before we're no longer individuals but super-advanced AIs with traces of past human experience.
No one will coerce you into immortality. You will choose when to die.

The individual cannot be immortal. The supra-individual Self is already immortal. There is nothing to get used to.

Some wouldn't able to get used to immortality, but some enjoy life for its own so they might dance in and out of ten trillion years, celebrating the gift of consciousness until the stars themselves grow cold and weary, and our thoughts turn again to the beginning.

Fuck off

Your assumptions are flawed from the start tho, as individual units of consciousness are immortal, in the sense that reaching newer and newer higher understandings of reality is a process in itself, and an ideal, rather than a means to an end.

Get used to it? I think I'd fucking love it, assuming that I got to be immortal as a healthy person.

You already live as if you were immortal. You don't think about your mortality. You're not conscious of it. You know that death is real, but it's not real for you. It's something that happens to other people. If you live without actual consciousness of your own mortality, you live in the same way you would if you were immortal.

What kind of immortality? Dried out mummy husk wearing nappies?

That is not important for the philosophic question of immortality.

You sound like a guy who was never wrapped up in mummy cloth for millennia.

>tfw permawrapped in blankets
Sounds comfy.

You get used to it. Some days are better than others. Just like the usual existence. You just try and stay entertained. Human suffering becomes really fascinating. You imagine doing something about it, but who has the time? Ha. Jokes like that get old too. All the jokes are old. The world is seeded with immortals who do try and disrupt and change things. We meet up every fee decades and make sure nobody tries anything too crazy. You stop pooping too. Nobody mentions that part. You still eat for pleasure but I have no idea where it goes. Seriously, I flush toilets for fun just imagining the pleasure of moving bowels. Sticking things up there just to push out doesn't cut it either. I tried playdoh, injecting it up there and it was close. Its hard to find brown playdoh.

True immortality or biological immortality? The former is impossible because of heat expansion.

>The former is impossible
That's wrong, there are biologically immortal organisms in existance right now.

At a distant point in time, he will have forgoten everything he was at a previous point in time. I argue he would effectively, slowly, become a wholly different individual.

Either that or he would have no ability to form new memories, efectively having no subjective future.

I could probably spend eternity in a bed, snoozing with my cat, though. Maybe that is what heaven is like for depressed people.

He just said the former ("true") wasn't possible. "Biological" would've been the "latter", not "former".

This video might has some good points about immortality: youtube.com/watch?v=kKmdc2AuXec

Me, I would.

There's always a catch to it.

Nobody's giving you power without a catch.