Its the same excercise

Why do peope shit on me preferring smith machine for squats and bench?
>keeps my bar path straight
>keeps my knees behind my toes
>doesnt put pressure on spine
>works the muscles im targeting.
>can lift a shit ton more weight, not limiting my own potential
I get normal ones use more core, but i train core separately and very very intensely.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MI0L7E_5Qac#t=1m58s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice quints.

Also, no.

sage

is this a meme?
because if not you are probably the biggest pussy to ever post on Veeky Forums

quints dont lie smith machine is fine

>>keeps my knees behind my toes
This is a meme anyways.

Do you also use gloves, wrist straps, leg straps, a belt, lifting shoes, and a neck pad when you squat, for extra gainz?

literally no useful strength is generated despite ending up with huge muscles, no functional strengt will be in those legs or pecs

>bench
>>keeps my bar path straight

You've answered half of your own question.

I feel like the smith machine doesn't allow for natural movement

Squat 250 in a rack, and do it on smith machine, then try and tell me there's not a massive fucking difference.

Gym had to waste the space and twice the money for a multi-use power rack so you can do shitty smith machine squats

You'll never ride a bike if you always use the training wheels

my uni gym has one bar and one smith machine
if it had two bars, the world would be a far better place

It converts all of your force into an upwards vector, which does not happen in a normal squat.

> keeps bar path straight
you should be doing this yourself instead of relying on the smith machine

> keeps knees behind toes

> doesn't put pressure on spine

> works the muscles I'm targeting
so do squats in a rack

> can lift a shit ton of more weight
there's a toothpick of an Asian guy that comes into my gym and squats 275 on the smith machine. quarter reps, of course, but no one actually cares because squatting 275 with free weights is substantially harder

TL;DR stop being a pussy and squat

kek

retard op. checked though

>I get normal ones use more core, but i train core separately and very very intensely.

>> keeps knees behind toes
>you should be doing this yourself instead of relying on the smith machine
You shouldn't be doing it at all

You're literally using the training wheels for lifting. Time to graduate, kiddo.

>unironically using the smith machine
>unironically doing squats

Do not use the smith machine for heavy squats.

If you are brand new to lifting and you're just getting used to the movement at a light weight, then I can see a reason for it. Or maybe even recovering from an injury.

Unless the motion of your squat aligns perfectly with the rails, the smith machine will but a significant shear force on your spine at heavy weights. You want the force to be axial along your spine as much as you can.

Unless you want to slip a disc, stay in the squat rack.

Smith machines have a diagonal bar path, how on earth people squat like that I have no idea

You're not supposed to squat with the bar moving up and down diagonally

rip your knees

don't listen to muh squats faggots, there's literally no point in squatting over 1plate in free weights in muh functional strenght perspective, squatting in smith machine is safer and easier and you can still get nice legs in there

Size=strength you retard

>wanting to look strong
>but not actually be strong

faggot

size is a different word to strength actually

shakira

>literally no useful strength
I think you got lost on your way to the fucking starting strength forums.
Kindly go back there.

What

no, i want to be fit

There's nothing wrong with squatting with your knees in front of your toes. It's an arbitrary cue for equipped powerlifting that is misappropriated for other people.

The only time I ever use the smith machine is when something is wrong and that's exactly why people shit on you for it. Same reason for not being capable of doing full range, something is wrong. Most people mistake sitting for squatting. You should be able to tell just by the picture that both start and finishing positions are not natural or relaxed. The bar should always be positioned just in front of your heels

you should be able to do this squatting properly
>keeps my knees behind my toes
it should be impossible to squat properly doing this. just avoid rolling on to your toes or rolling your ankles inward or outward
>doesnt put pressure on spine
it still should be
>works the muscles im targeting.
it's not working your hips or quads fully
>can lift a shit ton more weight, not limiting my own potential
if you're doing it like said picture you are at a leverage disadvantage, so no. Maybe you're using a assisted smith machine

knees behind toes is a meme, it's actually impossible for a lot of people to squat in this fashion due to their relative limb lengths

for the purposes of lifting for hypertrophy, there's nothing wrong with the smith machine

it's a fuckload easier than doing an equivalent exercise with free weights, but it also allows for some manipulation in how you execute the exercise that would be impossible with the free weight equivalent

your pic is a good example, you can lean way the fuck back and emphasize quads in a way that you could never do with a barbell

Yates used the smith machine for things, and I see plenty of jacked guys using the smith machine (usually for high volume burn out type shit), it's far from useless

the only people who think machines are always bad for every purpose are DYEL rippetards

Because you deserve it.

Bar path on bench shouldn't be straight faggot

>Size=strength

there's a guy at my gym that belts up and squats 1p Smith quarter and I can't ever look away

Goodbye stabilizers, goodbye functional strength

>Knees behind toes
Who told you how to squat?

strength is a skill.

I don't use the smith machine, but I imagine that as long as you setup with the bar over mid foot… You should be able to squat safely. Benchpress however will destroy your shit.

Nah, training wheels for squats is squats with a lower weight and more reps&sets to practice form. Smith-squats is a complete waste of time, it doesn't transfer into squats at all. I've tried it since I have trouble with squats but the only thing that helps with that is doing more squats.

>!=
ayy

Don't worry op. Its fine. All these other fags don't even know why they are supposed to only use free weights anyway. Its just a meme they believe because someone told them machines were for noobs.

Is it better to use free weights and get injured, or machines and not?

I've had a laminectomy done on my spine(shaved part of it off) and I have no cartilage in my knee from a judo injury when I was younger. I still squat and deadlift and do good morning back extensions and hip extensions. Enjoy having a pussy back op because no one of real stature will ever take you seriously.

Is squatting barefoot better than in tennis shoes?

wow fuck you for posting a nigger but those 1s...

I squatted 185 lbs on my first day at the gym, using the smith machine.

A month later I started squatting with the barbell and I could barely lift 135lbs.

You're trying to explain this to the guy that basically thinks a stationary bike with interval settings is the same as riding down a forest trail.

What the fuck is this exercise aside from an expressway to Snap City?

T H I C C

It's a seated good morning and most people don't do it properly.

These two sum it up.

/thread

SHUT THE FUCK UP MEDHI

I can't do dips, is the assisted dips machine any good? Kinda tired of close grip bench pressing.

youtube.com/watch?v=MI0L7E_5Qac#t=1m58s
top tier weightlifters almost always have knees go significantly past toes

>Why do peope shit on me preferring smith machine for squats and bench?

Because the ROM involved in SM squats is more comparable to the ROM in machine hack squats.

you're not supposed to be benching with a straight bar path