Why cant you overhead press your own bodweight Veeky Forums?

why cant you overhead press your own bodweight Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/a-deadlift-pr-and-some-thoughts-on-overhead-pressing/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tbh, it's kind of the minimum for being fit as a natty.

If you can't the press your bw as a juicer you should just end it.

my 2rm is my bodyweight+5lbs

I'm working towards it with 5/3/1, estimated moment of completion: september.

i can only do half my bodywheight
we're talking no push press, though, right?

230 lbs fatty, got 185 for a double a couple weeks back tho so I'm getting there

but I can?

Weigh 241(put on about 8 pounds)
Max 210 OHP.
But I can do knuckle handstand pushups which is odd.

I can't OHP fucking half of my bodyweight

I'm 103 kilos and fucking tall, struggling with 40 kg, same with bench, 60kg x 3 on a good day

FUCK

because i'm 6'4" and 245lbs, and don't train OHP

>tfw 275 lbs
>only 185 OHP 1RM

Same reason doing a push-up isn't equivalent to bw bench

i weigh and 180 and the best ive managed is 155

>don't train OHP

What the fuck is wrong with you?

uh, no?

because i've been lifting for 6 years and know which lifts are a good use of my time and which ones aren't

OHP is fun, but if you want to be big and strong you would probably be better off benching 3-4x a week

>developed shoulders doesn't make you big
>lifting hundreds of pounds over your fucking head doesn't make you strong

Over head press is 55kg and my bodyweight is 75. Just can't seem to add more weight to the bar. I deadlift twice my bodyweight though.

>I can't put up big weights so the lift sucks

>weight 190lbs
>push-press 215lbs

Get fucked, it counts.

this article pretty much explains my experience

strongerbyscience.com/a-deadlift-pr-and-some-thoughts-on-overhead-pressing/

my OHP increases when my bench increases, my bench goes nowhere when my OHP increases (nor do any of my other upper body presses, because not a single one is front delt limited like the OHP)

bench press trains more muscle and seems to carry over to other presses better for me, so I focus on it more and do it with greater frequency and volume

this is not necessarily true for everyone, either - some people have a pronounced front delt weakness in their bench press, which should be addressed with overhead press - this has just never been the case for me

as for "developed shoulders" from OHP - OHP primarily develops your front delts, which are also heavily involved in any other pressing variant, including bench press, incline bench, and close grip bench - for lateral delts you will still need direct work via raises (same for rear delts, but those are hit by pulling work too)

why have a well reasoned argument if you can just be a faggot, right?

OHP is a good lift and can be a great accessory if you have a front delt weakness holding you back, but the recent resurgence in its popularity is nothing but lifting hipster-ism, and i think for most purposes treating it as an equal to bench press is silly

You're pretty much an outlier in that respect - it normally works the other way round.

This is the opposite for me.

When i train ohp/seated press my bench, incline etc increases while bench does fuck all to my ohp

no, it actually doesn't

you were just told this on Veeky Forums and you bought it (I also did before I tried benching more and treating OHP as an accessory, and then removing it entirely later)

for most people bench carries over to OHP much more than OHP does to bench

although the better your bench mechanics are (short arms, barrel chest) and the more IPF-approved (big arch) your tech is, the less it seems to carry over

I'm working on it, with slow, steady, slow progress, slowly.

The Press is a demanding mistress

Maybe for you. My experience has been what the commonly accepted one is. Always had a crazy high bench and shit press. Now I've stopped benching entirely and due to lots of press I can still hit almost the numbers on the bench that I could the months ago.

guy who doesn't OHP anymore here, but volume and frequency is your friend with all pressing variations

if your main goal is a big OHP, just do it 3-4x a week with some good volume, and throw in some pin presses from right below the sticking point (should be a little below your nose or eyes depending on your leverages)

do tricep work as well, dips and cgbp and tricep extensions

No, I spent a long fucking time with the bench as my main lift and pressing as an accessory.

Bench and press both went up a lot better once I moved over to strongman and had to start treating overhead work as a main category. Same with most of the people I've trained with.

commonly accepted according to a bunch of scrawny nerds on Veeky Forums, because they read it in SS or something

Woah. Opposite of my experience. But if it works for you, more power to ya. Before I discovered the magic of OHP, I only benched around 250. After a while of regularly doing it (i performed it the day after bench so there was as much time as possible in between the two) I climbed up to 350. Was it all because of OHP? No. But i always struggled with the shoulder part of bench press, and OHP helped monumentally with getting over that hump.

The only one of your 'facts' that has applied to me is that raises are needed for full development (though my shoulders have gotten a lot bigger from upping my ohp volume).

Don't throw around your own personal experiences as fact. Your article isn't evidence either, there's no other form of info that is more often controversial or provocative, learn to journalism.

75? How tiny are you?

Commonly accepted maybe because it's more common, lad. This thread is packed with people with my experience, you are the literally the only person I've heard say that the reverse is true.

Cgbp is a different story however.

front delt weakness probably

if you have trouble keeping scapula depressed, stall immediately on the chest (this is actually front delt weakness - stalling a little bit above that is due to chest weakness, and midrange due to tricep weakness), or feel your front delts burning excessively during bench, OHP can be helpful

if you have the much more common tricep/chest limitations holding your bench back, your best bet is more work for those two muscle groups

i can push press my BW for reps and strict press about thirty less than that. i'm getting there, leave me alone.

Everyone sticks around that weight. Microplates are necessary now, single kilo jumps saved my press. It increases too slow to add 2.5 every time, its like expecting to be able to add 5kg to squats every time.

which is why i prefaced everything i said in that post with "for me", and "my"

but from what i've experienced and from what i've seen with others, bench -> ohp carryover is far more common than the other way around

I can.

Yeah my problem lied within delts, my triceps are oddly strong. I'm a very stocky dude with a big chest though. Though the reason for this is about half genetics, half that I had been lifting years with only my fathers program before I discovered the internet. He put so much emphasis on chest and arms, and everything else was treated as accessory. Once I was old enough to start researching this stuff, I realized my shoulders back and legs were massively underdeveloped. Probably why i struggle with that part. The problem still is evident with me today, but every body part gets love now.

Weight 85 kg
Military pressed 70kg for 5 reps first time I tried that excercise a while back, had mainly done only isolations for shoulders. I could handle 90 with some leg aid and a compression belt to not fuck up my spine

>don't train OHP

look at all these things i insisted are facts

it's also probably why the moment your front delts were not a huge weakpoint, your bench exploded up to 350 - your triceps and chest were strong as fuck

brogramming with loads of volume, chest and tricep work works very well for bench

Then you told the other guy he was wrong and was probably a skinny faggot who read it in SS.

I think a common problem is that people don't program the OHP effectively enough to see the maximum results from it. Also, there's something to be said for a trainee's proficiency - maybe for weaker guys OHP carries over better and for stronger guys bench carries over better. It's hard to pin down but I say focus more on OHP unless you have a particular interest in bench or big pecs because it's better for shoulder health.

called the general population on Veeky Forums scrawny nerds, not that guy specifically

but yeah that part i'll keep being pretty adamant about, from what i've seen bench->press carryover is much much more common

to your point i think for weaker guys pressing of any kind will have carryover to other presses, their triceps are next to untrained so any volume is good volume even if it's a front-delt limited movement

by the time your bench is pretty strong, OHP is probably not going to be as effective of a stimulus for your triceps as doing more bench/bench variants would be

as far as not programming it properly - that's 95% of Veeky Forums when it comes to OHP or bench, the routines you see posted here are usually low volume novice LP offshoots that suck shit for those lifts

god damn you are one fat bastard

I could when I was 12 kilos lighter. I could do 80kg for a single.

Now that I'm 90kg and on a perma dirty bulk, too much of my bodyweight is fat for me to really care

Wrong. Push-ups are never 100% of "bodyweight". They are usually around 60-70% at the bottom and 50% at the top. This is because your body is acting as a lever arm giving you mechanical advantage.

As for OHP vs handstand push-ups, there are two reasons:

1. OHP requires that you stabilize your body against an external weight. This is harder than just staying firm in a handstand.

2. In OHP, you are lifting your arms up, but handstands do not move most of the arm, so there is slightly less weight to be moved in a handstand push-up.

>not mentioning the face that hspu only requiers the top half of the movement, which is much easier for mechanical reasons.

the fact*

max ohp is 1pl8 for 3, 85kg bodyweight

whats wrong with me lads

post routine

I know that adding volume helped me. If you do 3x5 do 5x5 instead.

I bet you do flat bench too

No you dumb fucking faggot, OHP will objectively make you stronger than bench ever will because it's more taxing and uses more muscle groups

You're not OHPing enough.

But I can.
bw: 75g/165lbs
OHP 1RM PR: 75kg/165lbs
OHP REP PR: 70kg/155lbs x7

havent stuck to a routine for a long time, was doing SS then i got to 130kg squat and i switched to TM and got to 3pl8 squat, but i dont bench because i am focusing on olympic weightlifting so i usually do jerk press instead of bench

i ohp twice a weak at least

but I'm not a powerlifter, so the bench doesn't hold higher priority. And I'm not a bodybuilder so "building delts" doesn't mean anything to me.

thats a lie desu, i probably ohp once a week

but i push press or jerk press the other days

>havent stuck to a routine for a long time

problem solved

>strict press max of 90kg
>bw is 100kg at 6'1"
Kill me

180lb bodyweight

just got 185lb OHP last night

>This is harder than just staying firm in a handstand

I powerlift and I see a lot of people using OHP as a bench accessory

i weigh 208
i press^tm ~200

Training OHP will help out your bench in the long run. Do your goddamn OHP.

>been lifting for 6 years and benches 3-4 times a week
I know your type. I see you big ugly fuckers in the gym all the time. You have a big chest and big arms, but you're also fat, have mobility issues, an upper/lower body imbalance, and can't do 5 pullups.

i'm a 105kg 183cm tall guy

But i can
1rm 205lbs

Rippetoe (actual lnowlegable guy) says presses are more important than bench because they actually use core strength and the whole kinetic chain.

>benching uses more muscles

Are u stupid? Are u genuinely stupid?

I am 5kgs away from doing it for reps.
feels good but shameful at the same time.

>Don't train OHP

True, the closer equivalent would be a handstand push-up using parallel bars which would allow for full range of motion.

my left tricep tendon hurts during the negative. same in any other tricep exercise. it also makes a noise as if it rubs against a bone. what do?

I have the same thing but it disappears after warm-up. How did you injure it?

because it's a meme lift that'll fuck your back up, just like deadliftts