This is the ideal city. You may not like it, but this is what peak development looks like

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

shame if something happened to it.

Like that did anything to stop the Queen of the cities

he's blind. He doesn't even see where the trolley is going

Venice>Istanbul

but neither really stand up to medieval sky scrapers

>tfw I will never go to a chariot race that erupts into a gang war between the Blues and the Greens

Why did the turks destroy that....didn't they like horses too?

Man, why is this the first time I've heard of these?

That’s mainly because Assassin’s creed origins isn’t a historical narrative

They were probably ugly unregulated things in reality.

I mean yeah I wouldn’t expect them to compare to the Empire State Building or anything built around a thousand years later, but the fact that they existed is impressive no?

shit like this is why the world must have felt so big and interesting in medieval times

You just went full retard, m8.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots

this is why they added height limits tbqh

Yeah they're really cool. A few still exist today

IIRC historians still aren't sure what they were even used for

Can we just post reconstructions of old cities ITT?

MAX COMFY LEVELS I DIDN"T THINK WEre POSSSIBLE

That's Ottoman Constantinople though

This is a seriously underrated city

That greedy fuck Enrico. Not being a byzaboo but sacking Constantinople is a dick move.

It's fine, still looks really good

Honestly, the Romans deserved it for not being able to defend their easily defendable city

More of these, loved the Aztec ones.

I thought the greeks invented the arch?

Apparently they were used as defensive structures

shit must have toppled over once every earthquake.

post eastern european towns

they were living in wooden age or something?

I enjoy the mugging they slipped into the bottom right

I remember reading somewhere that it was a way for the rich merchant families to display their wealth. A dick measuring contest in other words.

Local patrician families fighting over territory and influence.

I mean, they're mostly on loan ground, so no large amounts of rock or clay easily available, and surrounded by endless forests. What else would they build with?

Islamic Cordoba.
This in the 9th century was probably the morning advanced city in Europe.
>Inbf muh Mudslims

Close ups.

Why is Constantinople so comfy?

>Why is Constantinople so comfy?
because it's the perfect mixture between eastern and western cultures

>the morning advanced city in Europe
if you meant "most advanced" then that's not true. How could Cordoba even come close to the largest and wealthiest city in Europe at the height of Byzantine Power?

That bridge is really nice...

Ok fair enough it was the second most advanced city in Europe after Constantinople.

It's still around too.

I enjoy both the history of Venice and the history of Constantinople. Venice is the longest lasting Republic in human history, while Constantinople has such a long, vast, complex and interesting history, from it's beginnings as Byzantion, becoming the new capital of Rome, then the capital of the Ottomans, and even now it's geo-political importance is so important that America and Russia have been peddling their influence over it in quite explicit ways in recent years.

>statues aren't painted
Not accurate!

They're not marble statues, you won't find the Nordic phenotype in paint you desperately look for

>you won't find the Nordic phenotype in paint you desperately look for

What the fuck are you talking about?

Also, Bronze statues were painted too.

They actually weren't very far off from each other.

>By 800 the megacity of Cordoba supported over 200,000 residents, 0.1 per cent of the global population. During the apogee of the caliphate (1000 AD), Córdoba had a population of about 500,000 inhabitants;[18] estimates range from 350,000 to 1,000,000. In the 10th and 11th centuries Córdoba was one of the most advanced cities in the world, and a great cultural, political, financial and economic centre.[19]

Where as with Constantinople

>In the 9th and 10th centuries, Constantinople had a population of between 500,000 and 800,000

taken from respective Wikipedia pages.

stop playing hoi4

Arches developed independently all over the Eastern Mediterranean.
Roman concrete made arches and domes ubiquitous though.

Thanks user

Shooting dragons out of the sky

That's an interesting suggestion. There are examples of high towers in other deeply fragmented societies, like Ireland, Sardinia and I think parts of the Caucuses also have similar constructions, but to have so many in such a small area is sort of bizarre.
Was it really so common for patricians to just murder and rob one another within the city walls?

Did Cordoba have hospitals like Constantinople did?

It wasn't destroyed, the byzantines didn't maintain it after a while and the ottomans didn't really care enough to fix it.

Not that guy but I read somewhere that the modern structure of how hospital wings were arranged came from the arabs. Also they were the first ones to distill alcohol for medical uses so I guess the largest city of the muslim civilization would have all this good stuff.

>

>inland
>surrounded by bring and fresh water lakes
>even today Mexico city has a severe mosquito problem
>to the point there are PSA's on tv and radio reminding people to not leave stagnant water
>all those mosquitos
>all that waste water
>inb4 all the poo went to the gardens

It didn't all get used and I bet it smelled awful.

Probably got a bit sad without the bronze horses

I assume so yes. Hospitals in the Islamic world were known as Bimaristan pic related, they were also known to serve anyone regardless of religion, race, gender or citizenship.

Alexandria is one of my favorites.

>the literal inspiration for a renovation of Rome
Agreed, underrated city

>The Orphanage of St. Paul
I always wondered where Byzantine pedophiles got their victims

Babylon, another great city. You can see the hanging gardens in pic related.

That's why they built gardens all around their houses btw so they can avoid the terrible smell

Roman Carthage.
Carthage At the time of the Punic wars was the greatest city in the world, Rome at the same time was nothing more then a back water.