Shin splints

Im a heavy guy trying to get in to running. I want to run twice a week with 3 weight lifting days. But every time i take a 15-20 minute jog i get these fucking shin splints. And then i have to wait another week to try again.
what are some tips or tricks to get rid of this curse ?

My running form is spot on(according to the expert at the running store), so thats not the issue.

>(according to the expert at the running store)
lmfao

>Im a heavy guy
This is your problem, running while overweight is very strenuous on your body.
You shouldn't run when overweight as it can cause havoc on your body.

Start off taking walks or using an elliptical while reducing your calorie intake until you have lost a bit of weight before you start running.

as said running while overweight has a huge effect on your legs. Taking it easier with walking or swimming at first may be beneficial. Besides that you may want to get your feet checked to see if you're a pronator or supinator and depending on that what type of shoes you use since this can also cause issues.

>heavy
>running
bad fuckin idea m8, you need to be cycling instead. Your future arthritic knees and possible stress fractures will thank me

Thanks for the advice :) my goal weight is to get down to 210-220 ish. at what weight would it be safe to start running ?

I started running when I was about 215. Had problems in the beginning mostly due to shit form and shit shoes.

Take it slow and enjoy your runs. I also stopped listening to music because I noticed I would slack on my form and could hear my feet clomping.

I play aussie rules football. I got shin splints in my first year. Changing my boots fixed the problem.

(stress fractures)

(joint problems)

(lost gains)

You faggots are acting like he said that he was going to do a thousand jumping jacks on astroturf while wearing a suit of cement.

You body has evolved over billions of years to run. Humans are such good endurance runners that we have hunted animals by chasing them until they die from exhaustion. We are so good at this that we have literally hunted animals to extinction using the technique.

A healthy human body is not going to fail from running. The contrary articles constantly being cited are hyperbolic at best. Running injuries are rare, even more so if you are fit. Even then, most running injuries are short term and manageable.

You need to stop believing everything you read in clickbait articles.

Hurr I read Born to Run once hurr nothing can hurt me!

You know how I know that you've never competed in any form of distance running?

Find a new type of cardio till you lose weight. Also definitely don't keep running on them. I kept running on my shin splints and they became fractures.

Hey you fat piece of shit
I didnt read any of the other replies but I know how to help

The way to fix shin splints is duck walks

what the fuck are duck walks?

u simply walk around on your heels with your toes pointed up as hard as you can
like you are trying to get your toes to touch your shin

idk where you run or what ever
but if you take 2 weeks off of your distance running and do sprints instead

and do duck walks before your sprints

your shins will be fucking rock solid in 3 weeks

you will never get shin splints again

walk 1 mile around the track doing duck walks

on your heels
toes pointed towards your shins

yes it will burn like shit

it will feel like your shins are on fire

thats because they are weak as fuck and arent used to being exercised

3 weeks of that and your shins will be like god dam sheets of lead

source: I ran CC in highschool and college. Learned about duck walks in high school... never got shin splints again

you can also put a barbell inbetween your feet and lift it with your feet

its mad awkward to do but it blasts the shit out of your shins

hope this advice helped

i cant help that ur fat tho

eat less

love u best of luck

i'm running comfortably fairly often at around 240-250...so take from that what you will

keep in mind this is with nice shoes and proper form, midfoot strike, forward pitch, etc.

I somehow fucked up my IT bands while cycling lmao.

Excercise bike until you're not a fatty fat fatty.

>fucked up his IT bands while cycling
>one of the most low-impact forms of cardio
>expects to be able to run
>is, on top of all of this, fat

just get on an elliptical or something or just strict dieting until you're in better shape

its not me.

Swim until your legs can withstand your mass

Youre just getting bad shins

5'7" manlet reporting in, I weigh 78kg. I'm fit and have no issue with cardio but when I run on the ol tready I get shin splints too. I am however flat footed and not wearing proper running shoes but they are still sportswear. Is it the flat footedness that does it or is it simply because I haven't actually run on a treadmill for quite some time. Usually do my cardio on the cross trainer or cycking . Natural sprinter but shittier with long distance as far as running goes also.

stretch shin muscles
point toes and shit
hard to target that area

Check your form again. But that's not likely the cause.

The sure-fire way to do it is to lose weight OP. Lower the intensity of your cardio (start walking instead or doing a machine at your gym). Begin eating clean as possible and counting calories. The weight of your body is probably doing a number on your shins as you run. I know from experience because I used to be heavy and running would give me awful shin splints until I lost weight. Then they went away like magic.

Another thing you could try is foam rolling. Look it up.

If you're flat-footed, you need shoes for that. And treadmills are awful in my opinion.

Do I have shin splints if I feel a burning sensation in the front of my ankle that goes up a few inches, it gets really bad and makes them feel really stiff and I have to stop running. Happens after like three minutes and has been going on for awhile

make sure you work the muscles on the front of your shin (toe raises, etc) to have balance with your calves.

Shin splints are psychosomatic. They don't even exist here, we don't have a word for it and surprisingly, nobody ever gets them.

Start moving, fatty.

wish you had it so you could feel the pain of shin splints. makes you limp after sitting in a squad for a little to long.

As terribly as this was presented hes right. Duck walks are great for working on shin splints.

What the fuck are you talking about. Shin splints are a very real, and very annoying thing.

What a moronic post

Try stretching your calves, use ice on your shins and take a break from running there are planty of other ways to do cardio. The problem is basically that your shin muscles grow too fast for the ligaments between tibia and fibula and it irritates them over time it will only get worse if you dont REST.

Actual fuckin runner here

Pretty much what everyone has been sayin, since you're heavy, don't run as it puts an abnormally large amount of stress on your legs.

>start eating less calories to maximize weight loss
>low impact cardio to assist in burning even more calories
>swimming, cycling
>buy a pair of shoes that have very minimal padding
>thick, cushion shoes may be comfy but they can mess with your joints in the long run
>take some joint health vitamins

Concerning your supposedly perfect running form...
>arms should stay at about 90 degrees
>they shouldn't cross over your chest very much
>you shouldn't be landing on your heels everytime you take a step
>try to control breathing through nose
>back straight

building on this, keep your runs under a mile in the begging and try running barefoot to figure out your perfect form. When you run barefoot, you will instantly feel the pain of having bad form and your body will naturally use the spring-like mechanism of your knees and ankles. I suspect you're either heel striking or up on your toes too often. Get shoes with minimal drop (I have Newton Mv2) and get used to the minimal padding.

wish I knew this in high school. I just kinda ran through the pain and it went away after 3 months.
God it hurt

might be a ganglion cyst if it is for only one leg and there is a swollen area.

Foam roll your legs and feet

Idk what shin splints actually feel like but I'm a thin guy that used to skateboard (lots of skateboards going into your shins) and ran a fuck load.

I'm 30 now and when I run I get a cramp in my right shin / front of the leg area, but I just keep running through it and eventually don't feel it anymore.

It's always like a 'muscle' cramp but it occurs in the front of leg where the shin is and not really an muscle. Is this shin splints?