QTDDTOT

Old one Mass VS Strength

Is it high volume lower weight for mass building as opposed to strength or was that broscience?

I do not want to lift super heavy, just build bigger muscles.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iNJoL4jdGTs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is it high volume lower weight for mass building as opposed to strength or was that broscience?
That's true. If you lift very heavy weights, you'll get big too; but what makes the most of hypertrophy is high volume. You gotta lift somewhat heavy weights to get big, tho (1/2/3/4 or near this).

Eric Helms' book has a very good beginner program, pic related. Btw, you're new to lifting and want to learn something, that's the book I'd recommend.

Thinking of doing the routine pic related, but 5x5 for main lifts.

Progress 5/10lbs weekly.

Arms/shoulders day added on Saturday

Any thoughts on it?

So I've been back squatting for about a year now with no issues. In the last week I've started getting weird twinges in my knees. I'll feel it like momentarily in one knee while sitting down or something, then it'll go away and I won't feel anything for a while.

Sometimes it's one knee, sometimes it's another. Sometimes above the knee, sometimes below.

Four weeks ago I started a routine that included front squats twice a week, which I hadn't done before, maybe it's related to that?

If this is something that'll develop into a knee injury I want to get ahead of it while it's still no big deal.

Anyone experience something like this?

So i don't know if anons will get what I mean by this, but whats the best way to get started? I've read the sticky, looked into routines, own a copy of ss, etc. but I just don't know where to actually start. I am at college so I'd be using gym here. Should I ask the people there? I'm a mild sperg so I guess I might be making a bigger deal of this than it is. Also, how do people deal with anxiety of working out in public/where other people can see you? I have trouble with this.

In regards to avoiding other people, find when your gym is not crowded. For college gyms, that's usually really early in the morning, or during peak classes time (e.g. from 10-2). Your mileage may very here depending on your campus. Also look around. Your college may have more than one gym. At my school, there is a small weightroom tucked away by the main rec center that is only open for a few hours during the night, and it's never crowded (because normies don't know about it).

As for getting started, best advice I can tell you is to bring a friend. Face it - you're gonna look like a sperglord if you've never set foot in a gym before and never touch a barbell before. But trust me, nobody else gives a shit - you're the only one who is going to give yourself trouble. Bring a friend with you so you can joke around and make you feel more comfortable. That's how I got started - going with a friend made it a lot less awkward.

If you don't have anyone to go with, just go in pretend you know what you're doing. Be confident in yourself

I'm such a turbo autist, I've been going to a gym thats open 24 hours mon-thurs, closes at midnight on friday, and 8pm on saturday and sunday.

So far i've been going at like 1-2am on mon/wed so I can be there alone. Today was the first day I tried going on friday and there were so many cars outside the gym i didn't even go inside.

How do I get over this fear of working out in front of strangers? It's so bad i'm considering just cancelling my membership and doing bodyweight routines or buying a home gym setup.

What do?

Therapy.

Getting fit and eating right for the first time in my life, 21 years old. I look thin with clothes on but I'm probably 30 pounds overweight or more.

Anyways, my question is if I'm trying to lose weight first will I still be able to get stronger and improve my muscles at the same time? Not talking about making mad gains, my muscles are just weak as fuck since I've been so lazy and sedentary for years. I've been hitting the gym pretty much every day and for someone who hasn't really done any physical activity since middle school the workouts are super brutal for me to get through. I'm sticking to it but I'm wondering if it's gonna get easier or if it's gonna suck until I start really trying to gain muscle.

are body analysis scales accurate? recently got one and it seems to be reading what i expected

Is it possible to lose weight and regularly drink beer?
I understand the calorie deficit is the main thing fir weight loss but i know alcohol also makes it tricky

Does masturbating a lot make body acne worse?

youtube.com/watch?v=iNJoL4jdGTs

Does hypermobility syndrome affect how quickly you make gains?

Where the fuck do you buy DNP?

Ive spent the last month reading about it but haven't been able to find a seller.

p-p-pls respond

What exactly is the safety minimum with calories? I've read it's 1200 but I'm not sure how that correlates with exercise because I think I remember reading you could burn off extra calories and still eat 1200.

Considering I'm a 6'3 male and weight 310 who has been eating clean 1200-1400 cals for the past week would it be ok for me to burn 400-600 calories exercising in a day without upping my daily consumed? I'm looking to lose weight as robotic and best as possible without seriously harming myself.

Thanks in advance

Therapy. Therapy.

Are there any vitamins I should take?
Would taking a diuretic and weighing myself in after be a proper way to measure my weight?

I'm trying to get Veeky Forums without any equipment, I'm about 35% body fat. My workout every morning has been

>5x20 squats
>5x20 crunches
>5x10 raised push ups

Is this good or am I wasting my time?

What should i focus on for rock climbing?

You're not wrong, interacting at the gym can be awkward as fuck.

Working out as if you're alone is an art. Here are some tips
1) Headphones in, all the time. Makes it hard for people to talk to you. Hell, you can even pretend you don't hear people.
2) Keep your eyes on the floor while you walk around. Ever tried this on a sidewalk? People naturally avoid you if they think you're not looking because they don't want to bump into you.
3) Use your phone during rests and don't look at other people doing their sets.
4) Unless you're doing some retarded shit, no one is looking at you, just like you won't be looking at anyone else.

Hope this helps

Good start, but if getting "big" is your plan and not just weight loss, then you're gonna want to transition to some dumbbell exercises. One of those multi-weight modular things are pretty cheap.

Forearm related exercises
wrist curls, wrist extensions, maybe even some heavy shrugs (this can get to your forearms a lot if you're using the right grip)

>nobody else gives a shit - you're the only one who is going to give yourself trouble.

truth

weight gain / loss can vary more throughout the day than is "measurable" per week

every time you eat or drink, you're temporarily putting on weight, every time you piss or shit, you're losing some

the only way to weed out the fluctuations is to weigh yourself many times per day and then plot it in excel to see if there's a trend. it's easy to just weigh yourself when you wake up and again when you go to bed. get a digital scale

Possible? Yes, but it's going to be a lot harder. I'd try to slow down if not cut out drinking until you reach your goal. If you must drink, do light beer or better yet hard liquor. One gram of alcohol is 7 calories. That means a shot is ~150 calories, assuming what Google says isn't a lie.

a men's multivitamin is fine

Shortening my question since I made it tl;dr

>never worked out in my life
>trying to lose weight with exercise and clean diet
>workouts suck extra hard since muscles are weak from underuse

Will I get any stronger while I lose weight as a beginner or will I be stuck lifting baby tier weights until I start trying to bulk?

bruh the best diet is one you can stick to.... find something a little more sustainable

liquid calories are the enemy of weight loss, they don't do a lot to satiate you. that said, calories in vs calories out is what determines weight loss. so at the end of the day, yeah totally possible to drink and diet, you're just gonna be hungrier than if you ate the same amount of calories as something more filling

if weight loss is your goal, really focus on your diet first. Eating three oreo cookies or a soda is 150Cal. You're gonna have to run for 15 to 20 minutes straight to burn that off. Is it really worth it? I don't think so.

Track your weight when you start your new diet. Then, if it's working, start doing some simple bodyweight exercises or dumbbell stuff, just whatever you can manage at first. Track how much you can do, and once you see good progress, then you can start looking into more complex stuff

the best diet is one you can sustain for the rest of your life! don't do crazy starving shit for 2 months and then get back to binge-ing. Starting is the hardest part, you'll get used to moderation believe me

Keep it simple!

Why are high socks with shorts a thing?
Why not ankle socks?

people with small calves can't cope

go to the private reddit and tell the mods you're from Veeky Forums

I think I'm doing alright with my diet, not eating junk food at all and am eating healthy meals I enjoy while tracking calories.

The problem I'm having isn't the diet it's that working out is hell since I have no strength or stamina because I've been a lazy piece of shit for so long. I'm wondering if I can get stronger while losing weight now or if I'm gonna be this weak until I try to gain weight in muscle.

Anyone quit vaping?

I switched from smoking to vaping over a year ago and the difference was huge.
I'm wondering how much of a performance and recovery boost I'd get if I went the extra mile.
It should theoretically do something because nicotine restricts the blood vessels.

From experience, after finishing cardio there's a period of time where I can't vape or I'll hack it straight out again, so it can't really be doing me that much of a favour.
I'm mostly asking because financially it's not a burden and it tastes/smells nice while fighting off hunger.

High socks save my shins on deadlift days and it's honestly really comfortable.

1. Does it really matter what gym I join? Are there any notorious gyms to stay away from? A gym I quit years ago once claimed I owed them over a hundred dollars in membership fees even though I had quit, they eventually also got shut down 'cause they weren't paying their employees. I just want to make sure that I'm getting the most out of my money and that I won't get fucked over later.

2. I don't have a car, and most of the gyms in my area are about an hour away on foot.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem; I love walking, but I do have a problem with chafing. If I walk too much I get bad chafing on and around my thighs, which can be a killer for my routine and motivation. And not just Veeky Forums related, it pisses me off anytime I'm walking anywhere. Any tips?

Doctors scale was at 200 with clothes and shoes on, but that is well too high. Haven't been close to that weight in a long time. It was a electric though, so probably needed to be calibrated.

The one in the locker room of the uni gym read 193 last monday and today it read 187 which weirded me out. Thought I had been getting fat.

How do I keep making gains in the winter? Leaf here, it's stormed all fucking week so almost no chances of getting to the gym. Trying to eat healthy but that only gets so far.

Should I either
>do cardio on treadmill
>go to gym whenever I can manage
>just keep eating less.

Or any combination? I fucking hate cardio and I've been sick most of the week so I'm looking for something safe, but will work.

10x3 masterrace
>low reps, high weight = strength gains
>many sets = mass gains

"volume" is misleading. It's *number of sets* that's pretty much directly correlated with mass gains.

Is this gyno?

Nice titties

Nope just fat

Thx baby

Depending on how advanced you are, you can only maintain muscle gains without access to heavy resistance training. (as opposed to make more gains)
Do bodyweight stuff when you can't get to the gym but try to go as often as you can. I guess you want primarily to lose fat? Try doing stuff with jumping, sprinting etc, if plain treadmill is too boring. Or bodyweight exercises in super-/giant-sets (i.e. alternating pushups-pullups-squats until you literally can not move)

Do you mean 8-12 reps at the weight of 1/2/3/4? or first reach 1/2/3/4 with SS or SL and then switch to volume training?

What can I do to (temporarily) replace squats and deadlifts? My hips/low back are kinda messed up and SQ/DL just aggravate them more. I've been having issues with lower back discomfort (not really pain) for a long time, I think I should just give them an extended period of rest while working on mobility and "rehabbing".
Preferably unilateral exercises, because I also have some left/right imbalances.
>Bulgarian Split Squats
>...

>reach 1/2/3/4 with SS or SL
this - though I wouldn't stop there if you're still making good progress. heavier is generally better.

As for what to do after SS, you should still continue to do primarily heavy Barbell training, don't think that isolation and machines and cables are somehow better for muscle building. But I really wouldn't worry about what to do at that point until your actually get there.

Hey everyone.

So the rep vs weight scenario right?

What if I did 100 bench press with just the bar. And every time I made it to 100 reps I would add a pound or some amount of weight. What might be the outcome of this?

What is the ratio between the big compounds if you want to look symmetrical?

>asking this

Fucking hell, no.

Already your deficit is crazy.

It's better than nothing, but it's garbage. Read the sticky.

The only reason it's not better than nothing is that it will keep your willpower up - working out consistently is good for improving discipline. Join a gym.

Stops your shins getting bloody from deadlifts.

At an intensity that low you might struggle, but the theory is perfectly sound for gaining strength and mass. You might want to look into GVT.

What episode is that squidward from?

Your body wouldn't get enough high intensity stimulation in order to make strength gains beyond a tiny amount.

In general the approach works. It's a progression system like any other. But "100 reps" is just plain stupid. A better approach would be something like
>add weight until you can only do 5 reps
>use this same weight until you can do 8 reps
>add weight until you can only do 5 reps
>use this new weight until you can do 8 reps
>repeat
The problem is, going to complete failure is not really recommended (at least on major lifts like the bench press), so making sure you use the exact same effort for every set is very difficult.

An alternative would be the "rep goal system", where you set a total number of reps over a certain number of sets. Like 20 reps over 3 sets. Maybe you hit 8 on the first set, 6 on the second and again 6 on the third. You completed you goal, so you can add weight (usually 5lb). Next workout you do 6/5/5 - 16 reps total. Goal not hit, so you do the same weight again the next time.

take a look at symmetricstrength.com - It's strength based, but it should give a you a rough picture of the ratios you can and should expect.
There's many factors that go into it though. You can build a lot of muscle without getting much stronger, and get much stronger without building a lot of muscle. Also your limb lengths affect leverages and thus how proficient you can be at one lift vs. another.

GVT is crap for strength and so is doing 100 reps of anything for one set.

kay gonna do 1500 and 17-2000 on workout days I guess. Don't really feel hungry. I was just confused if calories burned mattered with what you put in but I guess I see how that's retarded

wew laddy lad.

You ALWAYS include exercise and activity when calculating calories.

Your fucking BMR is 2500 kcal. That's what you burn JUST BY EXISTING.
You burn ~3000 kcal just from normal activity (i.e. whatever you do)
If you exercise you're going to burn a few 100kcal on top of that.

You can easily eat 2500kcal or more every day to lose weight.

What kind of exercise do you do and how often?

Also, don't make a difference between workout and non-workout days. That's just unnecessary complication.

I've never done GVT myself so I wouldn't know, and I agree with you on the latter part. It's good volume, though.

Guys I have made myself a program in order to able to work out with what little I have at hand and I need your critique in order to make it better/more efficient.

Equipments I have at hand is two dumbbells.

My program,

ABxABxx

A

DB press
DB Fly
DB Overhead Press
Lateral Raises
Dips
Plank/Leg raise/ Whatever

B

DB Row
DB Deadlift
Goblet Squat
Wall Squats
Bicep curls

I increase reps each session and whenever I reach 3x12 I add more weight and start again from 3x4.

So Veeky Forums, what is your advice? Any modifications that I should make?

How the fuck do you treat tinea versicolor Veeky Forums? I've tried lathering selenium sulfide shampoo, tea trea oil but this shit seems to spread while only fading a little.

>pic related, tinea versicolor but not me

I did a program somewhat similar to this. My biggest problem was doing 5x5 multiple times per week on big lifts. If you're lifting for 5 for volume I'd take the texas method approach and do it at 90% of your 5 rep max. I burnt out really quickly and plateau'd after two months from going really hard on the highest possible weight I could push for 5 every workout.

I rested one week and all my weights shot up by 10-20 pounds.

The whole general structure of splitting into a 4 day routine based on 4 major lifts is a great idea in my opinion that can be adapted into volume/strength or an attempt at a linear program.

At the end of the day if you're planning to try to progress 5/10 lbs weekly I'd just pick up texas method and add in some assistance work if you want it.

1/2/3/4 plate =
40kg The Press
80kg Bench
120kg Squat
160kg Diddly?

no a plate is 20kg and the bar is 20kg,
so for 1/2/3/4

Ohp = 60kg = 135 lbs
Bench = 100kg = 225 lbs
Squat = 140kg = 315 lbs
Deads = 180kg = 405 lbs

Thanks, I'm still pretty far I guess. When people post their lifts do they always include the 20kg of the barbell? And am I ever gonna make it?

Tree* lmao

Please help me

Will people laugh at me if I use meme-arched bench press in a commercial gym?

quick, i need movements and lifts that target the Lats heavily

oh shit im late as fuck
I lift about 3 times a week with ab shit thrown in
Gonna start running or doing some kinda cardio soon too once I get my anxious ass into a gym. (have legit home lifting equipment)

I think my biggest problem is I've been afraid of the area around 2500 cal but im startin to realize that the 4 bowls of cereal id eat in a day were like 1500-2000 calories. when i used to assume it was like fuckin 800 lmao

I dont even touch milk anymore for this cut

Of course. The weight you lift is the weight you lift. Just counting the plates or even just one side is retarded.

Do you track your calories?
Because especially in your situation, you are certainly not able to just estimate how much you eat.

If I wanted to replace all my food intake, so that at the end I only ate cum and nothing else, how much cum would I need to consume?

So, i've been cutting in the 1400-1600 range for a little while, seeing questionable progress. I decided to try out a couple TDEE calculators and when i enter all of my info they tell me i should be cutting around the 2000-2500 calorie range? I'm not /extremely/ well versed on this kind of stuff. could someone give me some other input here? seems like too much...

please someone help clear this up for me. am i just being stupid by not listening to the calculators?

Calculators are not accurate, weigh yourself frequently and find out if you lose weight too fast or not.

thats the thing though, that "questionable progress" has just been me hovering around the same weight.

>6'1
>250 lbs
>22
>male

what gives

how long have you been on this diet? are you sure you eat around 1500 calories? that seems pretty low for your size

i like to think i stick to it pretty diligently. even on the times i have gone over, at this point it seems like i still would have come under my "recommended" TDEE based on these calculators

I am a little hesitant to up my intake in the name of losing weight because it seems counter-intuitive, but what do i know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

or maybe im just shit at counting and i really HAVE been going over, i've probably just been lying to myself without even knowing

do you weigh your food? and how long have you been on this diet? my body seems to lose weight in little jumps, I hover around some weight for 2-3 weeks and then I suddenly lose 2-3 kilos, I don't know if it's my scale that fucks it up or my body is just strange

Hello Veeky Forums

I have real trouble reaching my requirements in calories. Why is healthy stuff so poor in cals and shitty food (burgers, etc) so full of it ?

I'm lost. I need to gain weight (a lot) and I'm having a lot of trouble.

So, what to eat to escape skellymode ? Ty bros

make shakes with some high-calorie stuff and drink it throughout your day

I know it sounds retarded, but I need a genuine response to this.

If my maths is right, I'd need to jack off 300 guys to get 1500calories, right?

nigger eat almonds and nuts, those are calorie dense foods

Where's the home gym sticky? What standard bar and plates do I need to buy?

Man, that is Texas method, it's a routine from PPST book.

I'm 5'7 165, am I overweight?

When losing weight
does fat burn evenly across the body
or faster in some places, slower in others?

I've been losing weight lately, and while my stomach an mantits are looking better, my neck remains lard-ridden. Makes me question if I'm just imagining the progress on the rest of my body.

How far can I go with dumbbel-only routine at home?

This is true weight lose doesn't seem to be linear at least not that we can measure. It jumps and stalls and does all kinds of strange shit. I have been stalled at 187 for almost 2 weeks. I was stuck at 190 for week and half then lost 3 lbs over 3 days. Shit is strange

Also through some heavy cream as coffee creamer. Shits like 50 cals a tablespoon. I use it to help reach my fat goal

Probably, but not too much. Also depends on your body composition. Start lifting, you are in a point in which turning things around will be easy if you have discipline

I lift 3x a week. Will doing boxing for cardio between lifting days hurt my gains?

I have a bit of social anxiety mixed with the fact that I sweat A LOT. always have. when doing physical activities, even if its cold as fuck I sweat waay too much. When doing physical activites though, I don't really mind, the problem is in some social occasions, if something triggers my autismo I start sweating like a slave.

tl;dr, my question is: I sweat a lot, been working out for some more than a year but can run or jog for shit. If I conditionate my body to be able to do a 1h run/job, can it possibly help me sweat less? I am a bit overweight, 1,91m and 100kg